Illinois 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby Hook 'Em » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:10 pm

fightin illini 25 wrote:
udlordly wrote:I for one want to make sure we have the greatest intramural softball team in the fall. Who's with me?


I think we need to work on getting a kick ass team together on the first day of Orientation.


This sucks. I have 4 months to become a bad ass softball player. Any advice on what I should do? Sadly, I'm being serious.

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby Hook 'Em » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:11 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
udlordly wrote:
ealwcml wrote:
udlordly wrote:My deposit went in 2 minutes ago, and I'm proudly wearing my Illinois class of 2012 shirt.


What? You got a shirt?

PPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!


yeah, they were giving them out to the people who visited on the day I went. I know someone who visited earlier got a stadium blanket.


I WANTED THE BLANKET! I got a shirt though, so it's still cool!


I went to the second ASD, and they gave me both. April 4 FTW!

udlordly
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby udlordly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:12 pm

^^^ Sweet, nice score on both. I also think we could get the softball grove on during orientation or just before. I'm gussing most of us will move in that weekend and have a few days to kill.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:23 pm

udlordly wrote:^^^ Sweet, nice score on both. I also think we could get the softball grove on during orientation or just before. I'm gussing most of us will move in that weekend and have a few days to kill.


That'd be pretty cool. I'm not exactly "good" at softball, but I love playing it!

User avatar
fightin illini 25
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby fightin illini 25 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
fightin illini 25 wrote:
udlordly wrote:I for one want to make sure we have the greatest intramural softball team in the fall. Who's with me?


I think we need to work on getting a kick ass team together on the first day of Orientation.


This sucks. I have 4 months to become a bad ass softball player. Any advice on what I should do? Sadly, I'm being serious.


I plan on hitting the batting cages alot this summer to work on my homerun swing. All of you should as well!

Does anyone know where they are living yet?

bloomlaw
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby bloomlaw » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:09 pm

fightin illini 25 wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
fightin illini 25 wrote:
udlordly wrote:I for one want to make sure we have the greatest intramural softball team in the fall. Who's with me?


I think we need to work on getting a kick ass team together on the first day of Orientation.


This sucks. I have 4 months to become a bad ass softball player. Any advice on what I should do? Sadly, I'm being serious.


I plan on hitting the batting cages alot this summer to work on my homerun swing. All of you should as well!

Does anyone know where they are living yet?


I'm stoked for the softball- playing in a woodbat baseball league this summer, so I should be in fine shape. And I have no clue where I'm living. If you're the guy who posted all the different places a couple pages back, thanks for those- i've been perusing them.

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby Hook 'Em » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Is anyone thinking about buying a house or condo? I've seen some decent places for 120-140k, but they are about 15 minutes away. I know that it's possible to get in-state tuition for the first year, but don't want to rush into anything. I'll probably just end up staying in a furnished place so I don't have to drag furniture across the country.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 pm

fightin illini 25 wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
fightin illini 25 wrote:
udlordly wrote:I for one want to make sure we have the greatest intramural softball team in the fall. Who's with me?


I think we need to work on getting a kick ass team together on the first day of Orientation.


This sucks. I have 4 months to become a bad ass softball player. Any advice on what I should do? Sadly, I'm being serious.


I plan on hitting the batting cages alot this summer to work on my homerun swing. All of you should as well!

Does anyone know where they are living yet?


I'm working on getting the roommate(s) first, then looking for a place to live. And thanks for the links, they were really, really helpful!

chalis8
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby chalis8 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:35 pm

One place not on Illini's list that a LOT of law students are living at this year in is Hessel on the Park (http://www.mckinley.com) it's within walking distance, offer furnished places, and is across the street from a supermarket. They offer a bunch of grad student discounts so a 2br ends up being about $700 a month.

Also the Pointe in Urbana is another nice place (furnished) (http://www.pointe-ui.com)

Someone recommended 88 West but that place is pretty sketchy from what I hear.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby coolkatz321 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:37 pm

chalis8 wrote:One place not on Illini's list that a LOT of law students are living at this year in is Hessel on the Park (http://www.mckinley.com) it's within walking distance, offer furnished places, and is across the street from a supermarket. They offer a bunch of grad student discounts so a 2br ends up being about $700 a month.

Also the Pointe in Urbana is another nice place (furnished) (http://www.pointe-ui.com)

Someone recommended 88 West but that place is pretty sketchy from what I hear.


How does that work to $700/month? That would be a pretty good deal...

chalis8
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby chalis8 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:28 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
How does that work to $700/month? That would be a pretty good deal...


I don't remember exactly what the discounts were but I originally thought it would be out of my price range (I think the price they listed was around $850 for a 2br - I was also not looking with a roomate) but there was a grad student discount and a rent credit of some sort that dropped it down to $700... that was last year though, but rents don't really seem to go up around here (e.g. my current place raised the rent $5 a month).

That's pretty standard pricing for a 2br though from what I've seen at least (around $300-$400 a person). Definitely make sure to ask about grad student discounts too when you're looking.

brandeis65
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby brandeis65 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 am

Royse & Brinkmeyer don't make law students pay a security deposit which is nice. Also, the tenant union and others have a lot of good things to say about them.

chalis8
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby chalis8 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:17 pm

brandeis65 wrote:Royse & Brinkmeyer don't make law students pay a security deposit which is nice. Also, the tenant union and others have a lot of good things to say about them.


Yup. that's my current landlord. they've been great. really on top of minor repairs and my place was spotless when I moved in. they also have a lot of properties and a lot of price options http://www.roysebrinkmeyer.com

EDIT: I take back the "great" comment - they just called me and said they wanted to show my apartment tomorrow morning (I'm moving in Aug) and I said I would be here studying because I have an exam at 1pm...then they gave me major ATTITUDE about it! NOT happy with them at all right now.
Last edited by chalis8 on Wed May 06, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Crap. I almost wish Wisconsin had rejected me instead of taking me off the wailist...now I'm totally lost. Well, at least I have some time to make a decision... :?

udlordly
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby udlordly » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm

why wisconsin over illinois? seems like a pretty easy choice to me.

sydney
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby sydney » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Anyone living in the Village at Colbert Park? What sold me was the private softball field for the hours of team practice we'll be putting in. Ok more like hour.

Come on coolkatz!

bloomlaw
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby bloomlaw » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:41 pm

kind of a change of subject, but does anybody know what laptop the university is using as its laptop for students?

L47_dTx
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby L47_dTx » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:53 pm

bloomlaw wrote:kind of a change of subject, but does anybody know what laptop the university is using as its laptop for students?
I purchased one through the law school laptop program. Here's a brief description from the IT department, fall 2008: "This year we are offering an HP 6910p business-class notebook with an Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 processor." I can't find any more detailed specs. I'd estimate about 40-50% of the 1L class purchased through the school. We had the option to choose between XP and Vista.

opj2002
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby opj2002 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Just withdrew.

GL to WLers

mjs
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby mjs » Fri May 01, 2009 10:08 am

sydney wrote:Anyone living in the Village at Colbert Park? What sold me was the private softball field for the hours of team practice we'll be putting in. Ok more like hour.

Come on coolkatz!


I signed a lease at the Village with a couple other 1L's. It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up. Can't wait to partake in some softball playing action with the rest of 2012!

you
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:58 pm

downtown

Postby you » Fri May 01, 2009 3:36 pm

What is it like living in downtown Champaign? The houses are really old, but it seems like it would be nice to live within walking distance of downtown.

L47_dTx
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby L47_dTx » Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Downtown Champaign is a fine area. There are at least two dozen law students who live within a 5 minute walk of downtown. The main bus/train terminal is downtown, so bus access to the law school is not a problem. There are a lot of great restaurants and bars downtown. A couple coffee shops.

If you enjoy that smaller-city, local vibe, you'll get it here. There is a really nice park with free wifi, on the west side of downtown Champaign. Aptly named Westside Park. I prefer the nightlife downtown to that in the college area, and because it's within walking distance, I never have to worry about driving. Numerous law school events take place downtown, including Beer League Darts. The law students who enjoy a good night out tend to gravitate toward downtown, and this has worked in my favor. A few students, who tend to be just out of undergrad or who attended UIUC for undergrad, seem to stick to campus establishments for their nights out.

The streets and neighborhoods to the west and south west of downtown are charming. Scenic, with great character. A pleasant environment for a walk or jog. The Champaign public library downtown is a great alternative to the law school library.

Some law students live really close to campus, some in or near downtown, and many others scattered about in other areas more distant from the law school.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Edit: No idea what I'm going to do.
Last edited by coolkatz321 on Tue May 12, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chalis8
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby chalis8 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:07 pm

just thought I'd throw this out there for consideration in your respective hunts for housing because it is part of the reason I'm moving out of my current place:

Keep in mind if you are looking for a quiet apt, and are looking at places in the western part of Champaign thinking you will be far enough from campus that the apts will not be full of undergrads acting like typical undergrads (loud parties, etc. - nothing wrong with that but it's not conducive to studying) that the community college, Parkland, is on North Mattis and many apts in that area are full of Parkland students. I really wish I had known that before I signed my lease because I live across the hall from a constant party (which is really bothering me right now as I try to study for my last exam!!)

tbx59
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Illinois 2012

Postby tbx59 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Just got off the waitlist, so I think I'll be joining you guys -

Thanks for the insight into housing




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest