Pepperdine 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
byu85

New

Re: Pepperdine 2012

Post by byu85 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:01 pm

masondixon wrote:
OutofBako wrote:Um 17 page reading assignment for a class we get to sit in on? :shock: Seriously? I guess it's already begun.
Definitely going to be my plane reading. How thorough are they going to expect us to get with this? Should my highlighter get involved?
Agreed, I'll definitely be putting that assignment off until my flight. I already filled out the RSVP form last week but never got the email with the reading assignment. How long before they sent it to you guys? Can someone email it to me? It's tyson_hafen@yahoo.com THANKS.

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:36 pm

byu85 wrote:
masondixon wrote:
OutofBako wrote:Um 17 page reading assignment for a class we get to sit in on? :shock: Seriously? I guess it's already begun.
Definitely going to be my plane reading. How thorough are they going to expect us to get with this? Should my highlighter get involved?
Agreed, I'll definitely be putting that assignment off until my flight. I already filled out the RSVP form last week but never got the email with the reading assignment. How long before they sent it to you guys? Can someone email it to me? It's tyson_hafen@yahoo.com THANKS.

As I stated in an earlier post, you will be sitting in on one of my classes. It's a Torts class taught by Dean Gash. We are currently covering the subject of defamation. There are 80 1Ls in the class. I'm sure he will call on one of us to go through the case.

The purpose of the reading assignment is likely so that you can follow along in class. Otherwise, it would be a one-hour bore.

Dean Gash won't call on visitors unless they volunteer first. (Students won't be so lucky)

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Utilitarianjac- What is the view from the 1L perspective when a whole bunch of 0Ls sit in on your class? Annoying? Disruptive? Just curious.

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 pm

OutofBako wrote:Utilitarianjac- What is the view from the 1L perspective when a whole bunch of 0Ls sit in on your class? Annoying? Disruptive? Just curious.
Most of us are genuinely excited about having prospective students visit. I, perhaps, am even more excited because I will be graduating with your class. I can't wait to meet all of you.

We have prospective students visiting all the time now. I've never found visitors to be annoying or disruptive. Most of them are very quiet and look a bit nervous.

There was one time when a guy visited our Contracts class and acted like he had already gone to law school. I guess that was annoying (as arrogance generally is).

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:53 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
OutofBako wrote:Utilitarianjac- What is the view from the 1L perspective when a whole bunch of 0Ls sit in on your class? Annoying? Disruptive? Just curious.
Most of us are genuinely excited about having prospective students visit. I, perhaps, am even more excited because I will be graduating with your class. I can't wait to meet all of you.

We have prospective students visiting all the time now. I've never found visitors to be annoying or disruptive. Most of them are very quiet and look a bit nervous.

There was one time when a guy visited our Contracts class and acted like he had already gone to law school. I guess that was annoying (as arrogance generally is).
I'll be sure not to make any smart ass comments then :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:01 am

As our ASD looms around the corner, I'd like to deem myself social planner for the weekend. Who's up for dinner/drinks/something entertaining on Friday? I'll be getting into LA tomorrow around 5. Let's try to organize something for the afternoon/evening of our long, grueling day of law school visiting ;)

Shoot me a message if youre game!

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:13 pm

Less than 24 hours before tomorrow's event...I am excited...

See you all on campus!

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Does anyone know how long the drive will take, taking into account traffic, from orange county?

I'm not looking forward to the drive...my guess is 2 hours.

klounsbe

New

Post by klounsbe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 pm

Aww guys let me know how the event goes and what you think! I'm living in Sydney right now and couldn't feasibly take more time off work for just a few days and pay for the plane ticket all the way back to the US then back here just to go :-(. Plus I'd be 18 hours jetlagged anyways. Put my deposit down today tho! :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 am

How did ASD go? I want to hear all about your experience.

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:55 am

utilitarianjac wrote:How did ASD go? I want to hear all about your experience.
I enjoyed ASD. Wish I could have socialized more, but my Dad was with me so I couldn't really do that unfortunately. I thought the best and most informational part was the torts class we were able to sit in on. I was shocked some 0Ls had the guts to ask questions during the class though. I was also excited to load up with Pepperdine Law attire lol.
Anyone else??

lawgirl86

New

Post by lawgirl86 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 am

What have u guys received from Pepperdine after paying your seat deposit? I'm still waiting to get something from them!

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 pm

OutofBako wrote:
I enjoyed ASD. Wish I could have socialized more, but my Dad was with me so I couldn't really do that unfortunately. I thought the best and most informational part was the torts class we were able to sit in on. I was shocked some 0Ls had the guts to ask questions during the class though. I was also excited to load up with Pepperdine Law attire lol.
Anyone else??
Dean Gash is pretty awesome, isn't he? I'm so fortunate to be in his section.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
OutofBako wrote:
Anyone else??
Dean Gash is pretty awesome, isn't he? I'm so fortunate to be in his section.
I really enjoyed his lecturing style. The socratic method (at least the way he did it) didn't seem too bad and I felt like I was easily able to follow and understand what he was talking about.

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 pm

ASD was great, I had a lot better feeling at Pepperdine than I felt out at George Mason. The students seemed really cool and the professors seemed really personal. Now I just need to justify taking out the loan... It is a great school though and I wouldn't be worried about getting a quality education there. The view from campus was unbelievable. Will likely be sending in my deposit this week.

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:32 am

Hey Future Waves!

I was just wondering if any of you were looking to live off campus your first year(?). I have a small and well trained dog who is not allowed on campus =( I'd love to live with other 1Ls as close to school as possible. Let me know if you're interested =]

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 am

I am also looking for a place off campus b/c I have a dog too...

I checked out an apartment complex about 10 min away (in light traffic) that allows dogs...
Was told the drive could take up to 30 min when traffic is bad...

Ideally I would live right down the street from school but don't know if there is anything but multi-million dollar homes so close to campus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CamilleElise

New

Post by CamilleElise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 pm

I loved the ASD. I really love southern california and the school. I have a touch choice ahead though with an offer from University of Arizona.... *sigh*

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:02 pm

CamilleElise wrote:

I loved the ASD. I really love southern california and the school. I have a touch choice ahead though with an offer from University of Arizona.... *sigh*
Are you planning to practice in Californian?

CamilleElise

New

Post by CamilleElise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:05 pm

OutofBako wrote:
CamilleElise wrote:

Are you planning to practice in Californian?

I would definitely prefer that over staying in Arizona!!!!! I love warm weather, Arizona I feel would be too hot!

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Too hot and too cold. Lose-lose for me, but weather is a big consideration for me. I applied to ASU and was accepted, but no mention of $$. Looking back, I don't know why I applied. The thought of being land-locked for three years made me claustrophobic. What are your big factors in your decision?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CamilleElise

New

Post by CamilleElise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 pm

OutofBako wrote:Too hot and too cold. Lose-lose for me, but weather is a big consideration for me. I applied to ASU and was accepted, but no mention of $$. Looking back, I don't know why I applied. The thought of being land-locked for three years made me claustrophobic. What are your big factors in your decision?
n at Pepperdine 23,000/yr but must stay in top 1/3 to maintain scholarship years 2 & 3

In at ASU Full tuition year 1, $20,000 year 2, no offer year 3

In at U of AZ $14,000/year, but must stay in good standing, however not top 1/3

Things to consider:

1. I am quite sure I don't want to stay in AZ permanently. A few years is fine, but not permanently. I love warm weather, AZ is borderline too hot!
2. I LOVE big cities. LOVE LOVE LOVE big cities. Paris/NY are my style. U of A and ASU offer this seemingly better than Pepperdine
3. I'm from So-Cal i LOVE So-Cal and I would consider staying and working in Cali far over staying in AZ.
4. I would like the possibility of networking to NYC or internationally (aka Paris b/c I speak French)
5. I am completely dependent on Scholarships/loans. My family is unable to help me out. They would if they could, but they cannot.

CamilleElise

New

Post by CamilleElise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:05 pm

OutofBako wrote:Too hot and too cold. Lose-lose for me, but weather is a big consideration for me. I applied to ASU and was accepted, but no mention of $$. Looking back, I don't know why I applied. The thought of being land-locked for three years made me claustrophobic. What are your big factors in your decision?
i started a topic on it, here's other peoples' inputs...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=67756

CamilleElise

New

Post by CamilleElise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:06 pm

CamilleElise wrote:
i started a topic on it, here's other peoples' inputs...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=67756

oops! i meant this one:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=67748

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 pm

I have found an *amazing* house! Now I just need 5 house mates... Message me if you're interested =)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”