George Mason Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pomona

Bronze

Re: George Mason Class of 2012

Post by pomona » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:49 pm

KristaLyn wrote:
tchadwick wrote:
spartjdawg wrote:I know I stated this already, but I am damned excited to be going to GMU!!!

Ditto!! Although, as I've said before, worried about that darn out-of-state tuition. Please please PLEASE give me a scholarship, just to get me to in-state tuition!! That's all I want!! I'll take it!!

Anyway - Who else was super-psyched to get the e-mail with the agenda for the ASW?!??! Wow! They are doing a lot of stuff! Can't wait! Hope to see you all there!

When did you get that email? Is it for the one in March? If so can you copy and paste it to me in a private messege here? Im worried it went to my spam box. I got a flyer with my admissions packet, but that was it. Thanks!
Would you mind doing the same for me too? I didn't get it! (accepted in Dec)

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:51 pm

Has anyone sent in their seat deposit yet? I am only waiting on one more school, and GMU is still my first choice so I think I will be sending mine in soon!

Anyone else not even bothering with visiting their other schools? I am not going to bother visiting Richmond because the drive is way too far (1+ hour) and I only applied as a real backup in case I didnt have another option. And really, I dont think Catholic could convince me to pick them over GMU regardless of the school visit. So I think as long as I like GMU when I go to visit in the upcoming weeks, I wont even bother visiting any other schools. That may change if they completely turn me off when I visit or something, but I doubt it.

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Got the email for the Admitted Students Open House. Totally stoked. Already bought my air tickets. Luckily I have no class Fridays so I'll be able to have an extra afternoon to see all the sights and get a better feel for the city. See you all in March!

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Just letting everyone know that I called and award letters will start going out in early march!

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Award letters, as in scholli awards? or...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:59 pm

KristaLyn wrote:Just letting everyone know that I called and award letters will start going out in early march!
Arggg someone else on here said February...the agony of waiting!

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:20 pm

KristaLyn wrote:Just letting everyone know that I called and award letters will start going out in early march!
That is AWESOME news! Based on last year's LSN profiles, it looked like they didn't do it until mid-April, for the last cycle!!

Phew. I was worried. Thanks for calling!!

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 pm

AbsolutLax wrote:Award letters, as in scholli awards? or...
Yes, as in scholarship awards. The person on the phone said they would go out in early March.

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:54 am

Anyone know if it is possible to get VA residency for 2L? I'm trying to figure out if it is doable since I read in another thread that simply living in VA and going to Mason isn't enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmurfyRey

New

Post by SmurfyRey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:13 pm

tchadwick wrote:
spartjdawg wrote:I know I stated this already, but I am damned excited to be going to GMU!!!

Ditto!! Although, as I've said before, worried about that darn out-of-state tuition. Please please PLEASE give me a scholarship, just to get me to in-state tuition!! That's all I want!! I'll take it!!

Anyway - Who else was super-psyched to get the e-mail with the agenda for the ASW?!??! Wow! They are doing a lot of stuff! Can't wait! Hope to see you all there!
you sound like you're in the same boat as me....GMU is my top choice, but is a huge financial concern since out-of-state and the ridiculous housing prices in the area (I mean seriously, where is this argument of declining housing values coming from? I'd be better off taking on a mortgage than renting). But if GMU comes through with the money to make it happen, I will so be there in a flash.

In response to another poster's question, their law and economics extends far beyond one class (they are one of the few law schools with a concentration in it!!!! which is why they are my top choice). Their normal classes also incorporate the economic way of thinking, so expect it to pop up in unusual places....I'm really looking forward to having someone like Zywicki for Contracts, but I also think that Tullock should come back to teach some courses too!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 pm

SmurfyRey wrote:
tchadwick wrote:

you sound like you're in the same boat as me....GMU is my top choice, but is a huge financial concern since out-of-state and the ridiculous housing prices in the area (I mean seriously, where is this argument of declining housing values coming from? I'd be better off taking on a mortgage than renting). But if GMU comes through with the money to make it happen, I will so be there in a flash.

In response to another poster's question, their law and economics extends far beyond one class (they are one of the few law schools with a concentration in it!!!! which is why they are my top choice). Their normal classes also incorporate the economic way of thinking, so expect it to pop up in unusual places....I'm really looking forward to having someone like Zywicki for Contracts, but I also think that Tullock should come back to teach some courses too![/quote]
That would be amazing....

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I've heard that getting VA residency for GM is really hard- pretty much you have to marry a VA resident, or prove that you are living in VA for another reason other than school. Good luck though!

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:33 pm

AbsolutLax wrote:I've heard that getting VA residency for GM is really hard- pretty much you have to marry a VA resident, or prove that you are living in VA for another reason other than school. Good luck though!
Yeah i've looked into it as well, I've talked to a few out of staters at GMU and I've made a few calls to the domicile office and it is impossible, so basically for us out of staters we have to plan on paying out of state tuition all 3 years (unless we marry a VA girl, but even then it isn't automatic, still have to go through the application/appeals process) It sucks, but at least GMU is cheaper than GW/American/Catholic, even for us out-of-staters...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmurfyRey

New

Post by SmurfyRey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Should we start a "GMU 1Ls looking for single NoVa residents to marry for residency requirments" post on here and Craiglist? Residency sounds harder to obtain than affordable housing in NoVa lol

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:28 pm

haha +1 i'd join even though i'm already a VA resident

slsklaver

New

Post by slsklaver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:33 pm

My current employer is willing to transfer me to their D.C. office so I can do the whole part-time thing. Do you think I could get VA residency after a year if I keep the job?

*kiki*

New

Post by *kiki* » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:49 pm

So after being preferred WLed at GULC, it appears that I too will be joining you all at GMU in the Fall. I am actually really excited about it! I initially thought that I would be GULC or bust, but the more I look into the school, I think that GMU will be great! I hope to meet some of you at the ASW!

In regards to the in-state thing. I am actually going to law school in DC because my husband took a job in Chantily, VA earlier this year. Would this potentially be enough to qualify? I have a feeling it won't, but I can hope.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Officially a GM Class of 2012! Got the GW rejection today (but probably would have went to GMU anyways), so I am sending in my seat deposit, but I might wait just to see if I can get any $$.

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:03 am

Sending in my deposit as soon as I get my GW rejection. Actually, in all likelihood, sending in my seat deposit even if I get into GW. I am really pretty certain this is the school for me, and couldn't be happier with my decision (especially considering the in-state price)!

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:35 am

PubIntLawyer wrote:Sending in my deposit as soon as I get my GW rejection. Actually, in all likelihood, sending in my seat deposit even if I get into GW. I am really pretty certain this is the school for me, and couldn't be happier with my decision (especially considering the in-state price)!
Grrr, you are so lucky... why didn't my parents raise me in Virginia?! Why, oh why, am I a resident of Missouri?!?

But, out-of-state tuition or no, that will not be the case anymore! Time for a move!

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:56 am

tchadwick wrote:
PubIntLawyer wrote:Sending in my deposit as soon as I get my GW rejection. Actually, in all likelihood, sending in my seat deposit even if I get into GW. I am really pretty certain this is the school for me, and couldn't be happier with my decision (especially considering the in-state price)!
Grrr, you are so lucky... why didn't my parents raise me in Virginia?! Why, oh why, am I a resident of Missouri?!?

But, out-of-state tuition or no, that will not be the case anymore! Time for a move!
Im also out of state, but GMU is still about 10K a year cheaper than private law schools...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Yay! Well then I will see you next year! I am also thrilled with this decision. Considering I got a 155 in Oct, I really thought I wasn't going anywhere for law school (165 on retake). And you cant beat a legal education for that price (I am instate as well).

So is anyone else joining us in the 'for sure' class of 2012? And does anyone know how scheduling works? Do they just assign you classes the first semester and say 'be there' or do you have some choice as to what sections you are in? I need to know because I have to get a schedule and figure out my sons therapy schedule and get a full time nanny in the coming months!

reidmacharg

New

Post by reidmacharg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:34 pm

KristaLyn wrote:
Yay! Well then I will see you next year! I am also thrilled with this decision. Considering I got a 155 in Oct, I really thought I wasn't going anywhere for law school (165 on retake). And you cant beat a legal education for that price (I am instate as well).

So is anyone else joining us in the 'for sure' class of 2012? And does anyone know how scheduling works? Do they just assign you classes the first semester and say 'be there' or do you have some choice as to what sections you are in? I need to know because I have to get a schedule and figure out my sons therapy schedule and get a full time nanny in the coming months!
They just assign you a schedule. My first semester here I had
MW Torts 10-12 and Property 2-4
T Contracts 10:30-12:15
T Th Law and Econ 3-4:30
F Writing from 10-12

This semester, my classes are for the most part at the same time.

sugarcat

New

Post by sugarcat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:34 pm

awesome. i really hope my earliest class starts at 10.....

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:44 pm

You think I have any shot at a scholarship with a 167/3.2? If I got one I'd send my seat deposit in within a matter of minutes...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”