George Mason Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pomona

Bronze

Re: George Mason Class of 2012

Post by pomona » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:04 pm

PubIntLawyer wrote:You think I have any shot at a scholarship with a 167/3.2? If I got one I'd send my seat deposit in within a matter of minutes...
I'd check LSN data from last cycle.

Waiting on scholarship information from GMU is so agonizing...it's what has me on the fence as well.

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:42 pm

reidmacharg wrote:
KristaLyn wrote:
PubIntLawyer wrote:Sending in my deposit as soon as I get my GW rejection. Actually, in all likelihood, sending in my seat deposit even if I get into GW. I am really pretty certain this is the school for me, and couldn't be happier with my decision (especially considering the in-state price)!
Yay! Well then I will see you next year! I am also thrilled with this decision. Considering I got a 155 in Oct, I really thought I wasn't going anywhere for law school (165 on retake). And you cant beat a legal education for that price (I am instate as well).

So is anyone else joining us in the 'for sure' class of 2012? And does anyone know how scheduling works? Do they just assign you classes the first semester and say 'be there' or do you have some choice as to what sections you are in? I need to know because I have to get a schedule and figure out my sons therapy schedule and get a full time nanny in the coming months!
They just assign you a schedule. My first semester here I had
MW Torts 10-12 and Property 2-4
T Contracts 10:30-12:15
T Th Law and Econ 3-4:30
F Writing from 10-12

This semester, my classes are for the most part at the same time.
Is there any way to get a M-Th schedule? If so, my mom can come from Ohio every week to watch them, but she wants long weekends to go home. I saw on their website that there were very few Friday classes, so I was hoping to get Fridays off. Do you know of anyone that got that type of schedule?

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:03 pm

KristaLyn wrote:
reidmacharg wrote:
KristaLyn wrote:
PubIntLawyer wrote:Sending in my deposit as soon as I get my GW rejection. Actually, in all likelihood, sending in my seat deposit even if I get into GW. I am really pretty certain this is the school for me, and couldn't be happier with my decision (especially considering the in-state price)!
Yay! Well then I will see you next year! I am also thrilled with this decision. Considering I got a 155 in Oct, I really thought I wasn't going anywhere for law school (165 on retake). And you cant beat a legal education for that price (I am instate as well).

So is anyone else joining us in the 'for sure' class of 2012? And does anyone know how scheduling works? Do they just assign you classes the first semester and say 'be there' or do you have some choice as to what sections you are in? I need to know because I have to get a schedule and figure out my sons therapy schedule and get a full time nanny in the coming months!
F Writing from 10-12

Is there any way to get a M-Th schedule? If so, my mom can come from Ohio every week to watch them, but she wants long weekends to go home. I saw on their website that there were very few Friday classes, so I was hoping to get Fridays off. Do you know of anyone that got that type of schedule?
I asked a student about this when I visited, and was told Legal Writing is held every friday, both semesters. Sorry :(

reidmacharg

New

Post by reidmacharg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:14 pm

KristaLyn wrote:
reidmacharg wrote:
KristaLyn wrote:

F Writing from 10-12

As for the full time program, I do not know anyone who took writing on a day other than Friday.

AP86

New

Post by AP86 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:20 pm

I called admissions on Friday to ask whether they had received my in-state tuition application (I had sent it by ups TWICE and they kept saying they hadn't gotten it), they told me they got it and that I had been accepted! I received the ASW email from them, but no other phone call or acceptance packet. I hope those come along soon.

I LOVE THE IDEA OF PAYING 16k a year for law school! Even if I get into GW, I might want to stick with GMU. There's no guarantee in this economy of getting a biglaw job, so I'd rather be cautious and minimize my debt and hope that I place top 15%.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 pm

AP86 wrote:I called admissions on Friday to ask whether they had received my in-state tuition application (I had sent it by ups TWICE and they kept saying they hadn't gotten it), they told me they got it and that I had been accepted! I received the ASW email from them, but no other phone call or acceptance packet. I hope those come along soon.

I LOVE THE IDEA OF PAYING 16k a year for law school! Even if I get into GW, I might want to stick with GMU. There's no guarantee in this economy of getting a biglaw job, so I'd rather be cautious and minimize my debt and hope that I place top 15%.
Are you part time? Im just wondering because only part time is 16K/yr.

AP86

New

Post by AP86 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:02 pm

oops, I meant 19k.

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Reid,

I recently visited UVA law and was very impressed with how friendly the students were, and how much they interacted with each other. Furthermore, there were so many activities going on, whether sponsored by clubs, or just student organized. Obviously we are all focused most heavily on the value of the education we will be receiving, but I know for many people law school is more than just endless hours of work (or at least should be if they hope to maintain some of their sanity), but rather an opportunity to interact with a group of peers that think at a different level and build contacts/friendships. The reason I use UVA as an example, is because I think they truly have developed a system where they can complete their work, but have fun too. What does GM have in the way of activities? For example, the UVA SBA holds events, keg on the lawn- where you can mingle with professors, FEB CLUB, the Libel show, bar review, a heavy focus on softball which the whole school participates in, and professors commonly invite students over for dinner. As a potential 1L, am I going to be looking forward to a commuter school where everyone is entrenched in their own work? If this the case, what is your take on phase II of the law school?- will it perhaps help foster a greater sense of community for law students?

Thanks!

reidmacharg

New

Post by reidmacharg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Hey Absolut:

I think Mason gets its commuter feel because it's severed from the main campus. In some ways this is good because it feels more like Mason Law, and less like GMU. I like not going to school with eighteen year-olds.

And we hang out for sure. Last Thursday I found myself getting home at 1 from a classmate's birthday party at Eleventh Street Lounge --LinkRemoved--. Clarendon has a lot to do, so there are plenty of good spots in walking distance from the school.

There are activities. For example, there was a ball this weekend that the SBA put together. In the Fall, there are receptions (with lots of beer) where students and faculty meet. In fact, it seemed like every week during the first half of fall semester there was a major event.

Mason is a lot smaller than UVA, and Arlington has a lot more going on than Charlottesville. Charlottesville exists because of UVA. If you removed GMUSL from Arlington, it would hardly impact the county. As a result, the vibes are different. UVA works so hard to create a social scene because there's not one otherwise.

[*]UVA, though, is hands-down the superior school in terms of everything but in-semester job opportunities. I would have gone in a heartbeat had they accepted me. In fact, I don't know of anyone at GMU who got into UVA. If you get in, go.

I really don't think you have much to worry about. I shared the same apprehensions before moving here. Now I love it, and I like Arlington a lot more than DC. There's a bunch to do. You have all the benefits of DC being next door, and you are spared the costs like sketchy homeless people, parking nightmares, and no representation. I live in Ballston, and I'm really happy here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Does anyone have any info on the MPP (Master's of Public Policy) Program? I am really interested in the program, because I think I would really like to go into the political arena at some point. From what I gathered, it adds one year and you graduate with both degrees. 1st year would be regular law classes, then you apply for the MPP program in the Spring of your first year, then 2nd year is the MPP classes, 3rd year is law classes, and 4th year is law and any left over MPP classes. The only thing that has me skeptical is what would 1L and 2L summer jobs look like if I am taking time to do both programs? And would it make me feel very distant from my other law classmates? I would be in classes with one set of people my first year, and then a completely different set for my 2nd year (because the year in between I would take MPP classes).

Any current students have input on this? Sorry if it doesn't make sense, I cant think of how to word it!

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:27 pm

KristaLyn wrote:Does anyone have any info on the MPP (Master's of Public Policy) Program? I am really interested in the program, because I think I would really like to go into the political arena at some point. From what I gathered, it adds one year and you graduate with both degrees. 1st year would be regular law classes, then you apply for the MPP program in the Spring of your first year, then 2nd year is the MPP classes, 3rd year is law classes, and 4th year is law and any left over MPP classes. The only thing that has me skeptical is what would 1L and 2L summer jobs look like if I am taking time to do both programs? And would it make me feel very distant from my other law classmates? I would be in classes with one set of people my first year, and then a completely different set for my 2nd year (because the year in between I would take MPP classes).

Any current students have input on this? Sorry if it doesn't make sense, I cant think of how to word it!
I'm interested in this dual degree, too! Same concerns as you... Plus, it'll be hard to sign up for one more year of school before starting a real career. At least, if we both do it, we could keep each other company!!

kpillai

New

Post by kpillai » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 am

This might be a stupid question but do you end up paying tuition for each program when you do the dual degree programs? Or is it like double majoring in college, i.e. it costs the same.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:48 am

kpillai wrote:This might be a stupid question but do you end up paying tuition for each program when you do the dual degree programs? Or is it like double majoring in college, i.e. it costs the same.
I would think it would be by credit hour??? (I'm sure someone will speak up if I'm wrong..)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:59 pm

I found this business plan for the law school (https://docushare.gmu.edu/dsweb/Get/Doc ... 67/SOL.pdf ) randomly and it's pretty cool. They decided back in 2005 that they wanted to try to be a top 30 school by 2010. It's nice to the know the rankings bumps aren't just random.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 pm

awaiting wrote:I found this business plan for the law school (https://docushare.gmu.edu/dsweb/Get/Doc ... 67/SOL.pdf ) randomly and it's pretty cool. They decided back in 2005 that they wanted to try to be a top 30 school by 2010. It's nice to the know the rankings bumps aren't just random.
Nice find!

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:19 pm

awaiting wrote:I found this business plan for the law school (https://docushare.gmu.edu/dsweb/Get/Doc ... 67/SOL.pdf ) randomly and it's pretty cool. They decided back in 2005 that they wanted to try to be a top 30 school by 2010. It's nice to the know the rankings bumps aren't just random.
A GW grad in another forum said that GW is increasing its class size to up the number of grads ultimately in BigLaw, and thereby upping its image.

But based on the business plan, it looks like GM is decreasing it's class size, first to increase its students to professor ratio and then to increase the size of its LLM program instead.

I have no clue what to make of all this.

Very interested to see the 2010 rankings. I kind of hope GM blasts W&M out of the water. Possibily because I've been complete since Dec 8 and still haven't heard from them. GM's econ focus is more my style anyway.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 pm

First of all, I second this!
awaiting wrote:Very interested to see the 2010 rankings. I kind of hope GM blasts W&M out of the water. Possibily because I've been complete since Dec 8 and still haven't heard from them.
I wasn't complete until January; still, W&M is the only school I'm waiting to hear from.

Also, I finally looked this up, regarding the joint JD/MPP degre: "Students admitted to the joint program will pay tuition at the School of Public Policy rate in their second year and will pay tuition at the School of Law rate for their first, third and fourth years – even if the student is taking additional classes in the School of Public Policy in their third and fourth years."

Here are the rates for the current year in the School of Public Policy:
In-State Graduate Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $545.00
Out-of-State Graduate Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $1,003.00

If you break down the law school's tuition by credit hour, it comes out to about this for the current year:
In-State Law School Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $814.00
Out-of-State Law School Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $1,389.00

FYI to those that are interested!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:36 pm

It seems like by decreasing their class size, GMU would increase its selectivity, thus improving its overall rank?
Last edited by PubIntLawyer on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Decreasing class size accomplishes three things. First, it improves selectivity. Second it improves the teacher/student ratio. Third, it allows the school to put together a more qualified class more easily. Eg: if you reduce the class size by 20%, then that's 20% fewer XXX+ LSATs you need to attract to keep your 75th at XXX.

Paul Ramone

New

Post by Paul Ramone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Now that I have heard back from GW and GULC, I can say with some certainty that I will be attending GMU this fall! The only school that could make me change my mind is WM (which i have not heard from).

Excited for the ASW

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Paul Ramone wrote:Now that I have heard back from GW and GULC, I can say with some certainty that I will be attending GMU this fall! The only school that could make me change my mind is WM (which i have not heard from).

Excited for the ASW
Yet another person awaiting a response from W&M before making a final decision!! Join the club. Darn 'non-rolling admissions'. Yucko. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Paul Ramone

New

Post by Paul Ramone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 pm

tchadwick wrote:
Paul Ramone wrote:Now that I have heard back from GW and GULC, I can say with some certainty that I will be attending GMU this fall! The only school that could make me change my mind is WM (which i have not heard from).

Excited for the ASW
Yet another person awaiting a response from W&M before making a final decision!! Join the club. Darn 'non-rolling admissions'. Yucko. :(
yeah, they have to have the strangest admissions process of all the schools i applied to. when did they say everyone would hear by? end of this month? doesn't that give people, what, 2 or 3 weeks to decide before sending in their deposits?

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 pm

A close friend of mine was waiting on W&M. He new a distinguished graduate of W&M and asked him to call the school. Two days later he got off the waitlist. However, what he heard was that the rest of the people waiting to receive a decision will hear about it around the third week of March. He was under the impression from speaking with the admissions people that they would be waitlists with a scattering of acceptances.
Last edited by AbsolutLax on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Ramone

New

Post by Paul Ramone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 pm

AbsolutLax wrote:A close friend of mine was waiting on W&M. He new a distinguished graduate of W&M and asked him to call the school. Two days later he got off the waitlist. However, what he heard was that the rest of the waitlisters will receive a decision around the third week of March. He was under the impression from speaking with the admissions people that they would be waitlists with a scattering of acceptances.
how about rejects? it seems like very few people have gotten dinged by WM so far.

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 pm

From what i've heard, and in talking to past applicants a waitlist for the most part is a ding- unless you get lucky and try really hard to get off the waitlist.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”