Iowa 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
daddymike
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby daddymike » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:54 am

Oh, I forgot to mention...
I will be driving in to class everyday and so I decided to time my walk from the law students' assigned parking lot to the front door of the law building. At a somewhat brisk but leisurely walk I timed myself at 3 minutes.

User avatar
dotcom
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby dotcom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:23 pm

Does anyone know what the campus gym is like (ie, is it super crowded, will I have to wait for a tredmill)? Or, would a private gym be better? Haven't spent much time in IC, so would like some advice if anyone know anything about this/ went to undergrad at Iowa! Thanks :)

User avatar
scott82
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby scott82 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:31 pm

The new campus wellness center is supposed to open summer of 2010. It's 2 blocks due east of the law school, just on the other side of the river.

http://www.recserv.uiowa.edu/geninfo/pd ... 0sheet.pdf
http://www.recserv.uiowa.edu/geninfo/co ... campus.htm

Until then, I'd go for a private gym. It's not an informed opinion, cause I've never been to any of the student gyms, but I haven't heard great things about them (there is a reason why they're building the new wellness center, I'm sure).

I go to Fitness Express, which is on the south side of IC, away from campus (one of its redeeming qualities, IMO). It's $20 a month for both me and my wife to belong; I think it's about $12 for a single membership. It's pretty sparse on frills as far as gyms go (no showers, tiny "changing rooms") but it has everything you need to get a good workout. IC Fitness is on the ped mall; I know several people who belong there and like it.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:27 pm

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/computerclass.php
FYI you must attend a library computer session.

User avatar
dotcom
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby dotcom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:38 pm

scott82 wrote:The new campus wellness center is supposed to open summer of 2010. It's 2 blocks due east of the law school, just on the other side of the river.

http://www.recserv.uiowa.edu/geninfo/pd ... 0sheet.pdf
http://www.recserv.uiowa.edu/geninfo/co ... campus.htm

Until then, I'd go for a private gym. It's not an informed opinion, cause I've never been to any of the student gyms, but I haven't heard great things about them (there is a reason why they're building the new wellness center, I'm sure).

I go to Fitness Express, which is on the south side of IC, away from campus (one of its redeeming qualities, IMO). It's $20 a month for both me and my wife to belong; I think it's about $12 for a single membership. It's pretty sparse on frills as far as gyms go (no showers, tiny "changing rooms") but it has everything you need to get a good workout. IC Fitness is on the ped mall; I know several people who belong there and like it.


Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! I was also thinking that they must be building a new wellness center for a reason :) I will be checking out private gyms as soon as I arrive!

User avatar
Brick Tamland
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby Brick Tamland » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Starting in the fall of 2010 there will be a mandatory fitness fee of $219 for the new Rec building for all students so you might as well use that since you will be paying for it.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:Starting in the fall of 2010 there will be a mandatory fitness fee of $219 for the new Rec building for all students so you might as well use that since you will be paying for it.

I can't even begin to fathom how many assholes will use that gyjm. I'll choose the private route.

User avatar
Brick Tamland
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby Brick Tamland » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:00 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:Starting in the fall of 2010 there will be a mandatory fitness fee of $219 for the new Rec building for all students so you might as well use that since you will be paying for it.

I can't even begin to fathom how many assholes will use that gyjm. I'll choose the private route.


touché

webster021
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby webster021 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:36 pm

Anyone thought about books (including the hornbooks and E&Es) yet? Are you going to buy them at the bookstore or try to find them on Amazon or somewhere else? I noticed as of yet there is no fall 2009 book list on the website listed in the packet....am I missing something? Or do we just use Summer 2009?

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:11 pm

For casebooks, we won't know which ones until we know which professor we have and his/her requirements. Supplements you can just buy but you'll find them cheaper at Amazon (most likely).

User avatar
daddymike
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby daddymike » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:04 pm

I know I've asked this already, but is there anyone else with kids? (And if so, have you been exploring your child care options?) PM me...

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:51 pm

daddymike wrote:I know I've asked this already, but is there anyone else with kids? (And if so, have you been exploring your child care options?) PM me...

Did anyone reply? Someone must have a kid or two.

Any suggestions for where a man should have his hair cut?

User avatar
daddymike
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby daddymike » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Nah, no replies.

mikeytwoshoes: That computer training thing, is that mandatory? I would think it's part of our orientation since I didn't catch it in our packets. How did you find out about it?

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 am

daddymike wrote:Nah, no replies.

mikeytwoshoes: That computer training thing, is that mandatory? I would think it's part of our orientation since I didn't catch it in our packets. How did you find out about it?

I saw an advanced copy of the orientation schedule that referenced the computer training thing. I think it's mandatory but I don't know that it won/t be part of orientation. It might be coming in the second packet.

User avatar
Brick Tamland
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby Brick Tamland » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm

daddymike wrote:I know I've asked this already, but is there anyone else with kids? (And if so, have you been exploring your child care options?) PM me...



No Kid here but if I'm not mistaken I think there are a couple day cares right on Melrose close to the law school. Not sure of the name but I'm sure a quick google would suffice. Hope this helps.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Iowa City Pet Regulations: http://www.icanimalcenter.org/about/petregulations.html

You may be fined if you allow your animal to make excessive noise.

User avatar
Brick Tamland
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby Brick Tamland » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:02 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Iowa City Pet Regulations: http://www.icanimalcenter.org/about/petregulations.html

You may be fined if you allow your animal to make excessive noise.



I went to undergrad at Iowa and I've never heard of anyone getting fined for their pet making excessive noise.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Iowa City Pet Regulations: http://www.icanimalcenter.org/about/petregulations.html

You may be fined if you allow your animal to make excessive noise.



I went to undergrad at Iowa and I've never heard of anyone getting fined for their pet making excessive noise.

Perchance their pets never made excessive noise or no one reported the noise.

User avatar
Brick Tamland
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby Brick Tamland » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:26 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Iowa City Pet Regulations: http://www.icanimalcenter.org/about/petregulations.html

You may be fined if you allow your animal to make excessive noise.



I went to undergrad at Iowa and I've never heard of anyone getting fined for their pet making excessive noise.

Perchance their pets never made excessive noise or no one reported the noise.


I know a few who were reported but nothing came of it... And your wording reminded me of the LSAT. You quit it.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:34 am

Brick Tamland wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Iowa City Pet Regulations: http://www.icanimalcenter.org/about/petregulations.html

You may be fined if you allow your animal to make excessive noise.



I went to undergrad at Iowa and I've never heard of anyone getting fined for their pet making excessive noise.

Perchance their pets never made excessive noise or no one reported the noise.


I know a few who were reported but nothing came of it... And your wording reminded me of the LSAT. You quit it.

Are you sure law school is for you? I keed. I keed.

Damn it, I can't intentionally sound LSAT-ish. :evil:

User avatar
scott82
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby scott82 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:25 pm

I went to UG at Iowa and I reported my neighbors for having animals that made excessive noise. However, they were all around Douchebags (note the capital "D") who stole from others living in the building, vandalized the property, and had violated the lease in any number of other ways (including said animals: 2 pitbulls that I suspect were not being raised for companionship). So I was looking for any available excuse to get them in hot water.

User avatar
Brick Tamland
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby Brick Tamland » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:57 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Are you sure law school is for you? I keed. I keed.

Damn it, I can't intentionally sound LSAT-ish. :evil:


Are you sure law school is for you? Maybe you should work for animal control since you're so concerned about how much noise they may or may not make. :lol:

User avatar
crystalhawkeye
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby crystalhawkeye » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Is anyone really sure anything is for them? Perhaps we're all just venturing into this world, blindly, feeling our way around for some semblance of direction. Yet we keep walking, finding our way, learning as we go... ooooooooo...........

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:56 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Is anyone really sure anything is for them? Perhaps we're all just venturing into this world, blindly, feeling our way around for some semblance of direction. Yet we keep walking, finding our way, learning as we go... ooooooooo...........

Air is for me, hydration too. :mrgreen:

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Iowa 2012

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 am

So when is everyone moving?

I’ll be in Iowa City on the 7th.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest