Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
crystalhawkeye

Silver

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Wish I could. Especially because it's at Faegre Benson...

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Anyone else going to the ASG in Minneapolis?
So you're going to both the Chicago and Minneapolis ASGs Mikey??

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Whitty wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Anyone else going to the ASG in Minneapolis?
So you're going to both the Chicago and Minneapolis ASGs Mikey??
Yes ma'am. Chicago because it looked awesome and Minneapolis because I live there.

leahcar

New

Post by leahcar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Has anyone heard anything off the Iowa waitlist? Not to bug the admitted students, but just wondering if there were people who have been accepted off the waitlist?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:33 am

leahcar wrote:Has anyone heard anything off the Iowa waitlist? Not to bug the admitted students, but just wondering if there were people who have been accepted off the waitlist?
Several posters were admitted off the waitlist. However, that was some time ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 pm

For anyone going to tomorrow's ASG, I will be the fellow with his arm in a sling. Because the bandage is so large, I will be wearing a very casual shirt.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:38 pm

http://news-releases.uiowa.edu/2009/apr ... ision.html
April 3, 2009

Work of Iowa law student cited in Iowa Supreme Court's Varnum decision

The Iowa Supreme Court cited a University of Iowa law student's work in its historic Varnum v. Brien decision today.

In a footnote, the Court noted that many scholars and commentators urged the justices to apply the so-called "rational basis with bite" analysis in the case. The Court defined the rational basis test as one that measures a law's constitutionality based only on whether the legislature had a plausible policy justification in passing the law at issue, and if there was a rational relationship between the facts and the policy.

Rational basis with bite goes one step further by recognizing that legislatures often act in discriminatory ways against certain groups. For instance, courts have used rational basis "with bite" to strike down laws that discriminated against illegitimate children, the mentally or physically handicapped, and children of immigrants.

Among those scholars it cited as urging such a test was Steven Wieland, a third-year law student in the University of Iowa College of Law. Wieland urged the test in his law review note, "Gambling, Greyhounds and Gay Marriage: How the Iowa Supreme Court Can Use the Rational-Basis Test to Address Varnum v. Brien."

The note was published in Vol. 94, issue 1 of the Iowa Law Review, published last fall.

In his note, Wieland does not argue in favor of or against the same-sex-marriage ban itself, but instead, suggests a specific method for the Iowa Supreme Court to invalidate the ban should the court choose to go that route.

Wieland's suggested method would have allowed the Court to uphold a district court judge's decision to order the state to start processing marriage certificates for same-sex couples, invalidate the state ban on same-sex marriage, and, at the same time, minimize any public backlash that could hinder the gay-rights movement.

Wieland's proposed method would not require the court to grant "full-blown marriage rights to same-sex couples," but instead, would have allowed the state legislature to make decisions about the future of gay marriage in Iowa. Wieland described this method as "a wise tactical move in handling such a volatile issue," which would "leav[e] open future legislative and judicial avenues for addressing gay marriage."

In the end, the Court opted that a rational-basis test did not go far enough and that the constitutional guarantee of equal protection demanded the justices give greater scrutiny to the law prohibiting gay marriage because it involved the legal classification of people.

Wieland said he is not offended.

"I am extremely excited about the court's ruling," he said. "I cautioned the Court against moving too quickly, but judging by the fact that the justices acted unanimously today, I see that Iowa is ready to lead the nation forward on human rights."

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm going to Iowa City tomorrow and staying through Saturday to finalize some plans and check out the city in the summer.

mikella

New

Post by mikella » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone has spoken to someone at the law school regarding MacBooks. I was all set to get a MacBook Pro, but the information I read on the Law Library document (part of the Admitted Students Page), scared me. You can find it in the link they sent to us via email today, or below:
The College of Law is a PC environment. The College does not recommend Netbooks nor Macintosh computers. If you use a Mac for law school work, you will not have the same level of access and support as you will with a PC laptop.
I also remember reading that you cannot use the school's printers if you have a Mac. I plan on calling IT on Monday to see if Macs are really that much of a hassle, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has asked before I go to the trouble. Thanks in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:29 am

mikella wrote:I was wondering if anyone has spoken to someone at the law school regarding MacBooks. I was all set to get a MacBook Pro, but the information I read on the Law Library document (part of the Admitted Students Page), scared me. You can find it in the link they sent to us via email today, or below:
The College of Law is a PC environment. The College does not recommend Netbooks nor Macintosh computers. If you use a Mac for law school work, you will not have the same level of access and support as you will with a PC laptop.
I also remember reading that you cannot use the school's printers if you have a Mac. I plan on calling IT on Monday to see if Macs are really that much of a hassle, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has asked before I go to the trouble. Thanks in advance.
From people I've talked to, it's not that big of a deal. You have to use Bootcamp to run the exam software, and e-mail papers to yourself to print out with the library computers. Other than that, it's not a huge deal.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Hooray packet of info! Boo 9-4 daily orientation week.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:59 pm

mikella wrote:I was wondering if anyone has spoken to someone at the law school regarding MacBooks. I was all set to get a MacBook Pro, but the information I read on the Law Library document (part of the Admitted Students Page), scared me. You can find it in the link they sent to us via email today, or below:

I was aware of this but I still got a 2.26g 13" Macbook Pro with the upgraded 4GB of RAM at an extra $90. Total $1189. I'll deal with some inconveniences if I have to. If I have to email papers to myself once every two weeks or whatever I can easily deal with that.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 pm

On a different note, can anyone recommend a good real estate agent? I am looking to rent a house and will be getting there next week on July 8th to start looking. I'll be attending the July 10 ASD as well. If anyone will be attending please let me know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:25 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Hooray packet of info! Boo 9-4 daily orientation week.
Boo that it starts on Sunday the 16th. WTF!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:28 pm

daddymike wrote:On a different note, can anyone recommend a good real estate agent? I am looking to rent a house and will be getting there next week on July 8th to start looking.
You'll probably find a cheaper place through craigslist.

elex360

New

Post by elex360 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 pm

You should still be fine with a Mac. If you are forced to only print via Windows, then I would recommend getting something like parallels and in those instances print via Windows on your Mac. With my current position, I can VPN into my work, but only through Windows. In those instances that I need to be on my Mac and also my work through VPN, I'll load up Parallels, then load XP, and then VPN into the network. The cool thing with programs like Parallels is that you can pretty much continue using everything in your Mac environment, but also use one, two or more Windows programs within your Desktop. If you load a program like Quicksilver, it then becomes really easy to switch amongst all of your open windows.

Another cool feature within your mac is Spaces. This basically allows you to have multiple windows open, but in a sense on different desktops. The only other place I've seen this is when I've run a gui through Linux. It's very useful when you want to have multiple programs loaded up and to also switch between each of them.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Yah, I've been toying with "spaces" the last couple of days and I can see how it would be really easy to run parallels on it. I might just do that, but I will probably wait until I can load up the new Windows 7 on it. That would be cake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:32 pm

A few recommendations based on my recent trip to Iowa City:

Bank: Iowa City has many banks (Hills Bank and Trust, Bank of the West, Midwest One etc.). My landlord enthusiastically recommended Hills Bank and so do I. I showed up kind of late on a Friday – 10 minutes – before their closing time. They could have easily shown me the door but they took the time to explain all of their different account types and signed me up for an account. This is the type of service I look for in a bank. Also, if you keep a balance over $100, you can make up to six free withdrawals at other banks/month free.

Gym: Iowa City Fitness is really nice and cheap ($19.99/month). they’re a little thin on cardio machines but they have a shit ton of free weights/weight machines.

Restaurants: Shorts Burgers is very good for carnivors and has a selection of blackbean burgers for veggies.

Motley Cow is good for lunch and reasonably priced (try their Italian soda with blackberry purée).

Jimmy Jack’s Rib Shack is simply awesome.

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:58 am

Ordered my football season tickets today, I'm pretty pumped about that. We should have a TLS tailgate sometime.

Mister Cee

New

Post by Mister Cee » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:47 pm

I obviously don't post much. But I wanted to see what folks were up to on here.

I was admitted for 2012 but decided to defer to the class of 2013. Wonder what I'm missing.=)

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an apartment that's 1) less than $500/month, 2) for one person only and 3) within a 15-minute walk to the law school? Does this sound like a fairly achievable situation, or will something have to give?

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Doable. Here's one that I know of.

--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:21 am

One recommendation regarding Windows Vista, buy a computer with tons of RAM and a workstation video card. The card is optimized for stability and Vista runs well with a shitton of RAM.

slowdiver

New

Post by slowdiver » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:03 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote: Bank: Iowa City has many banks (Hills Bank and Trust, Bank of the West, Midwest One etc.). My landlord enthusiastically recommended Hills Bank and so do I. I showed up kind of late on a Friday – 10 minutes – before their closing time. They could have easily shown me the door but they took the time to explain all of their different account types and signed me up for an account. This is the type of service I look for in a bank. Also, if you keep a balance over $100, you can make up to six free withdrawals at other banks/month free.
Just my .02: Hills is a very nice bank, however, the University of Iowa Community Credit Union has a checking account entitled "Rewards Checking" that comes with insane benefits and 4.5% interest (which can amount to a lot when you have a financial aid check sitting in your account for awhile). Some of the benefits include: refunds of ATM fees at other banks' machines, free bill pay (put your rent check on auto so you don't get evicted during finals), and did I mention 4.5% interest? Also, the bank has an ATM in the law school basement next to the cafe. Check out the website, --LinkRemoved-- for more information, but I have to say it's no contest as far as best bank in Iowa City for a student.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:14 pm

Just got back from Iowa City and wanted to say that I am thoroughly impressed.
I managed to attend Friday's ASD at the Japanese restaurant and got a chance to mingle with local-area students and some professors as well. Also, the Boyd Law building receives high marks: The classrooms are modern state of the art and spacious with excellent lighting. THe library is great as well, with plenty of study space and enough volumes to satisfy anyone.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:57 am

daddymike wrote:Just got back from Iowa City and wanted to say that I am thoroughly impressed.
I managed to attend Friday's ASD at the Japanese restaurant and got a chance to mingle with local-area students and some professors as well. Also, the Boyd law building receives high marks: The classrooms are modern state of the art and spacious with excellent lighting. THe library is great as well, with plenty of study space and enough volumes to satisfy anyone.
I always like my choice when I meet students and faculty. However, the alumni at the Chicago gathering were most impressive. There were many partners at notable firms, 1Ls interning in Chicago, 2L SAs and others.

I'm a little less happy with Boyd but the Library rocks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”