Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
crystalhawkeye

Silver

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:45 pm

scott82 wrote:No, not too late, you just may not get your first choice by then; if you are planning on living within walking distance of campus, you'll want to make arrangements as soon as possible, but public transportation is pretty good here, so if you can't, you'll still be fine.
But if you make arrangements in April or May, can you wait to move in/start paying until August? Or do have to claim an apartment and move in ASAP?

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes, you can sign your lease in April to begin in August; most places start renting properties in late January for move-in the following August. This can be a major hassle for, say, a recently graduated law school applicant who won't know till April where he will be in August, and therefore stands to lose out on the best rental properties. Another bullshit aspect of the rental process in this town is nearly every major landlord has leases which run August 1st to July 27th or so. And, while you don't get your rent prorated for the partial month of July, you do end up couch-surfing for three or four days, probably with all your posessions in the back of a truck somewhere, unless your new landlord lets you claim your next apartment early and absolve them of cleaning up after the outgoing tenants.

I reiterate my small private landlord advice from before; they are less likely to be sticklers about dates and the way the rest of the town writes their leases. That, and put that aspiring legal mind to work early and make sure you read the fine print. We do have some slum lords in town too.

Edit: I should disclose, my knowledge applies strictly to campus area housing; if you don't mind living a little further out, or in Coralville (town attached to Iowa City) you can probably find more flexible lease terms.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:10 pm

In that case, I hope I get accepted soon so I can visit!

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Any current Iowa law students on here willing to ask some questions? Or would it be better to post this somewhere else?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:32 pm

isustudent wrote:Any current Iowa law students on here willing to ask some questions? Or would it be better to post this somewhere else?
Well, it's the class of 2012 here, so no one is a current student. However, This Thread has some info. from current students, as does this one.

Hope those help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Although I have yet to visit, barring some unforseen negative circumstance, I will be at Iowa in the fall!! Hell yes.

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:25 pm

I rented an apartment from J & J Apartments for a few years. It was nice and pretty cheap with a great location, and they sent me my security deposit pretty quickly after I moved out. Most (all?) of their apartments are across the river from the law school (closer to bars, restaurants). Just in case any future students are looking for apartments already, here's the website:

http://www.jandjapts.com/

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Some news out of Iowa City this weekend. Dean Jones will be stepping down next June to return to teaching.
http://news-releases.uiowa.edu/2009/feb ... s_law.html

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 am

Interesting. So maybe some of us future Hawkeye's will have her as both a Dean and Professor! Wonder who's going to succeed her...

I'm just glad she isn't stepping down until next summer. I think she liked my application, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:10 pm

I saw that. Maybe a new dean will help jumpstart Iowa again? Hopefully its for the better.

Also, what has everyone's experience been with the admissions office? I am getting slightly frustrated with them. I emailed last week with a question that was then forwarded on to someone else, but is yet to be answered. I think called the Dean of Admissions yesterday, but he is yet to call me back.

I understand that they are not sitting around eager to answer my ?'s, but at peer schools I am also considering there is always a quick response. It's kind of making them look bad to me.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:13 pm

isustudent wrote:I saw that. Maybe a new dean will help jumpstart Iowa again? Hopefully its for the better.

Also, what has everyone's experience been with the admissions office? I am getting slightly frustrated with them. I emailed last week with a question that was then forwarded on to someone else, but is yet to be answered. I think called the Dean of Admissions yesterday, but he is yet to call me back.

I understand that they are not sitting around eager to answer my ?'s, but at peer schools I am also considering there is always a quick response. It's kind of making them look bad to me.
I'd suggest contacting Seehee Foss. She has always been super attentive with me. Collins Byrd is also excellent.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:22 pm

I agree with pomona. I e-mailed them a while to back to check on my application and they got back to me within a day to let me know my file was complete.

For others who've been accepted, has anyone heard anything about scholarships/financial aid? And if you did, how long after your acceptance did you hear?

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:27 pm

I got my scholarship offer about a week after my acceptance letter via snail mail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:51 pm

pomona wrote:
isustudent wrote:I saw that. Maybe a new dean will help jumpstart Iowa again? Hopefully its for the better.

I'd suggest contacting Seehee Foss. She has always been super attentive with me. Collins Byrd is also excellent.

Collins Byrd is who I called. I emailed admissions 9 days ago. Should I just call admissions and basically say no one is responding or answering my questions?

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 pm

isustudent wrote:
pomona wrote:

Collins Byrd is who I called. I emailed admissions 9 days ago. Should I just call admissions and basically say no one is responding or answering my questions?
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:22 pm

All my questions have been answered the next day or even the same day if I get to them early enough.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:21 pm

On another subject, what does everyone plan on wearing to admitted students day? Thursday evening (March 5th) is the reception and Friday (March 6th) is tours and such at the law building. Think we should dress up for the reception??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:23 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:On another subject, what does everyone plan on wearing to admitted students day? Thursday evening (March 5th) is the reception and Friday (March 6th) is tours and such at the law building. Think we should dress up for the reception??
I'll probably wear something nice for the reception. I've heard they're 'for admitted students' but a lot of alumni show up and it's good to look nice.

For the 6th, probably just casual - nice jeans, button up shirt. Nothing fancy.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm

In via snail mail

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:On another subject, what does everyone plan on wearing to admitted students day? Thursday evening (March 5th) is the reception and Friday (March 6th) is tours and such at the law building. Think we should dress up for the reception??
I'll probably wear something nice for the reception. I've heard they're 'for admitted students' but a lot of alumni show up and it's good to look nice.

What is "something nice"? Like a suit and tie? Nice pair of slacks and button up shirt? haha I'm new to all this looking good crap.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm

gogators wrote:In via snail mail

Congrats! You'd think it be hard to leave the Florida sun for the Iowa snow though...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:54 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:

What is "something nice"? Like a suit and tie? Nice pair of slacks and button up shirt? haha I'm new to all this looking good crap.
Haha, well probably a suit and tie. Of course, then I'd feel like an idiot if I were the only one dressed as such. A 1L at Indiana told me they had a similar reception and when he got there he found out everyone was dressed much nicer than he. Take that for what it's worth but... maybe I'll just ask, ha.

Edit: I e-mailed the RSVP person to ask. Man I'm a dork.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:57 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:

Haha, well probably a suit and tie. Of course, then I'd feel like an idiot if I were the only one dressed as such. A 1L at Indiana told me they had a similar reception and when he got there he found out everyone was dressed much nicer than he. Take that for what it's worth but... maybe I'll just ask, ha.

Edit: I e-mailed the RSVP person to ask. Man I'm a dork.

Haha nice. I was going to email and ask but since you did I'll just wait for you to let us know on here. THANKS!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Brick Tamland wrote: Haha nice. I was going to email and ask but since you did I'll just wait for you to let us know on here. THANKS!
Ha, that's me, taking a nerd hit for the future Hawkeye team.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:14 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote: Haha nice. I was going to email and ask but since you did I'll just wait for you to let us know on here. THANKS!
Ha, that's me, taking a nerd hit for the future Hawkeye team.
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I offer thanks.

Has anyone been able to log in to ISIS yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”