Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
crystalhawkeye

Silver

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 pm

ColtonDLong wrote:I also have a suspicion that Iowa accepts residents a little faster just because, just like any state school, they favor having them. It is MY tax dollars after all :mrgreen:
Balls. I'm gonna be waiting a looooong time, then. As long as I get in!

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 pm

ColtonDLong wrote:I also have a suspicion that Iowa accepts residents a little faster just because, just like any state school, they favor having them. It is MY tax dollars after all :mrgreen:
Can't argue with that. I'm hoping my scholarship notification comes soon and they favor residents for those too...

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:
Can't argue with that. I'm hoping my scholarship notification comes soon and they favor residents for those too...
They don't. We already get half tuition.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 pm

ColtonDLong wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
They don't. We already get half tuition.

I've known some Iowa residents who have gotten nice scholarships.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Iowans, should I email them or should I call them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Jwatson wrote:Iowans, should I email them or should I call them?

Call tomorrow.

Collins Byrd, Assistant Dean of Admissions
(319)-335-9095

amathey

New

Post by amathey » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 pm

for those who have been accepted to Iowa and have received scholarship offers, how long after the initial acceptance were these offers made? Is it possible that offers wont be made for a couple of months, or if you are going to get a scholarship, are they offered pretty quickly?

Thanks!

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 am

amathey wrote:for those who have been accepted to Iowa and have received scholarship offers, how long after the initial acceptance were these offers made? Is it possible that offers wont be made for a couple of months, or if you are going to get a scholarship, are they offered pretty quickly?

Thanks!
I am also interested in this. I was accepted mid-december. No scholly?

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 am

ColtonDLong wrote:
amathey wrote:for those who have been accepted to Iowa and have received scholarship offers, how long after the initial acceptance were these offers made? Is it possible that offers wont be made for a couple of months, or if you are going to get a scholarship, are they offered pretty quickly?

Thanks!

I still wouldn't expect any notification for another month. From what I've gathered many of the admitted students haven't been sent to the scholarship review committee yet. I still wouldn't lose hope. I'm not... yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:15 pm

I got my scholarship notification about a week after my email. I am instate and got full tuition, so it's not like that doesn't happen. Also, I do know of another person who got the same deal and is instate. I was quite surprised, because I figured schollys for instaters were hard to come by. I think it also helps I applied really early. Things might be delayed now, and they might be waiting for people to withdraw before they make any more scholarship decisions.

Good luck to those waiting!!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:18 pm

ColtonDLong wrote:

Thanks!
I was accepted early December and received my scholarship two weeks after acceptance.

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:51 pm

On another note, when I went and looked at apartments this past weekend I stopped to do a tour of the law library. Got a little overwhelmed - law school seems all to real now! Plus the place is impressive. Even my boyfriend said he was intimidated. :)

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:05 pm

isustudent wrote:On another note, when I went and looked at apartments this past weekend I stopped to do a tour of the law library. Got a little overwhelmed - law school seems all to real now! Plus the place is impressive. Even my boyfriend said he was intimidated. :)
Haha yeah, their library is real cool actually. I'm visiting the weekend after this one with my girlfriend. I'm pretty excited

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:20 am

Article in the Iowa City Press-Citizen today involving the college of law and a lawsuit. Not good publicity but the article is interesting. I knew the college was liberal but that liberal? Oh well, I'm on the left so I find it comforting.

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20 ... 22014/1079

lm2329

New

Post by lm2329 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 pm

received my scholarship information almost a month after intial email acceptance. full scholarship in state. so a long wait isnt necessarily a bad thing

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:Article in the Iowa City Press-Citizen today involving the college of law and a lawsuit. Not good publicity but the article is interesting. I knew the college was liberal but that liberal? Oh well, I'm on the left so I find it comforting.

I'm slightly conservative. This scares me.

8thnebula

New

Post by 8thnebula » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:05 pm

The response to this suit is typical: these overly liberal people who have never had to live in or deal with the real world continue in their efforts to engage in distorted social agendas. These same people also try to push their diversity programs, but this doesn't work either.
As such, there is no diversity "program" at Iowa, or any other law school for that matter. The endeavor is really one that flows more organically from the mindset of those in charge, namely the administration and faculty. These efforts are much more subtle than any "program." In light of Grutter, they have to be.

No, the diversity effort is a complex mix of pronouncements from higher up the university food chain and the social/political agendas of the law school faculty and administration. Most of the people pushing these efforts are those who couldn't deal with the reality of the legal profession. They finished at the top of their law school classes, but when confronted with the "reality" of law practice, couldn't deal. In essence, law practice is nothing more than a slightly elevated white collar job that demands somewhat more complex skills and the ability to think in an organized manner, while also being able to deal with a high level of abstraction and critical thinking. Most non-white males seem to find this work repulsive; they think that they're above having to "work for a living" and run and hide in academia. This is clearly in force at Iowa. The people in the top administrative jobs did well in law school but then couldn't cut it in the real world. Also, they found that the real world wasn't receptive to their skewed view of the world. They didn't realize that law practice is a business; it's not about saving the world, it's about getting, retaining and servicing clients - not increasing the ranks of the profession with unprepared minorities.

So...these people drift into law schools and then begin their attack on the "profession." A profession they see as dominated by the white males that they view as having closed the doors on their views of what they wanted from a legal career. So they undertake this effort to increase the ranks of law schools with people who are either ill prepared or unprepared or ill suited for a legal career, give them money support and encouragement, and never tell them about what awaits them in the reality of law practice.

In essence, this attempt by administrators could be viewed as the law school analogue to the "Broadway" mother syndrome: a person who wants their child to be the star that they couldn't be. It's also, in some twisted way, their effort to get back at the profession they feel has rejected them and what they wanted to do with their legal education. So they fill the ranks of law schools with people who don't necessarily want to be lawyers, but feel that they should be given an equal opportunity to have the "keys to the kingdom." What you end up with is a very distorted attempt to shoe-horn the social agendas of the administrators into the program of preparing people for the legal profession. Ultimately, this effort fails but these administrators don't want to deal with this reality. No, they continue to "use" the diversity rap to exorcise their need to influence and change the profession. When you think about it, it's very cynical and selfish. They are really using these people as a tool to carry out their distorted social agenda. Notice how these same administrators are nowhere to be found when these students come out of law school and run into the brick wall of reality.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:09 pm

8thnebula wrote:The response to this suit is typical: these overly liberal people who have never had to live in or deal with the real world continue in their efforts to engage in distorted social agendas. These same people also try to push their diversity programs, but this doesn't work either.
As such, there is no diversity "program" at Iowa, or any other law school for that matter. The endeavor is really one that flows more organically from the mindset of those in charge, namely the administration and faculty. These efforts are much more subtle than any "program." In light of Grutter, they have to be.

No, the diversity effort is a complex mix of pronouncements from higher up the university food chain and the social/political agendas of the law school faculty and administration. Most of the people pushing these efforts are those who couldn't deal with the reality of the legal profession. They finished at the top of their law school classes, but when confronted with the "reality" of law practice, couldn't deal. In essence, law practice is nothing more than a slightly elevated white collar job that demands somewhat more complex skills and the ability to think in an organized manner, while also being able to deal with a high level of abstraction and critical thinking. Most non-white males seem to find this work repulsive; they think that they're above having to "work for a living" and run and hide in academia. This is clearly in force at Iowa. The people in the top administrative jobs did well in law school but then couldn't cut it in the real world. Also, they found that the real world wasn't receptive to their skewed view of the world. They didn't realize that law practice is a business; it's not about saving the world, it's about getting, retaining and servicing clients - not increasing the ranks of the profession with unprepared minorities.

So...these people drift into law schools and then begin their attack on the "profession." A profession they see as dominated by the white males that they view as having closed the doors on their views of what they wanted from a legal career. So they undertake this effort to increase the ranks of law schools with people who are either ill prepared or unprepared or ill suited for a legal career, give them money support and encouragement, and never tell them about what awaits them in the reality of law practice.

In essence, this attempt by administrators could be viewed as the law school analogue to the "Broadway" mother syndrome: a person who wants their child to be the star that they couldn't be. It's also, in some twisted way, their effort to get back at the profession they feel has rejected them and what they wanted to do with their legal education. So they fill the ranks of law schools with people who don't necessarily want to be lawyers, but feel that they should be given an equal opportunity to have the "keys to the kingdom." What you end up with is a very distorted attempt to shoe-horn the social agendas of the administrators into the program of preparing people for the legal profession. Ultimately, this effort fails but these administrators don't want to deal with this reality. No, they continue to "use" the diversity rap to exorcise their need to influence and change the profession. When you think about it, it's very cynical and selfish. They are really using these people as a tool to carry out their distorted social agenda. Notice how these same administrators are nowhere to be found when these students come out of law school and run into the brick wall of reality.
I'm not sure if you're arguing in favor of Iowa or not. Your writing doesn't really make much of a point frankly. This thread is for prospy Iowa students, so unless you've applied to would like to attend, don't bother.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:Article in the Iowa City Press-Citizen today involving the college of law and a lawsuit. Not good publicity but the article is interesting. I knew the college was liberal but that liberal? Oh well, I'm on the left so I find it comforting.

If the allegations in the article are true, why on earth would you find this comforting?

8thnebula

New

Post by 8thnebula » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:38 pm

ColtonDLong

Last time I checked, this was a public message board and I saw no indication that you in any way control the content of what is posted here. It also would appear that you've got some sort of distorted emotional connection to Iowa and you seem to get upset whenever someone challenges your perception of the University, as though to do so is some sort of personal attack on you. Maybe you need to get a grip on reality.

In any event, the post was designed to illustrate that this situation is typical for what goes on at Iowa Law. As such, people applying to Iowa should know what they're in for.

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:39 pm

pomona wrote:

If the allegations in the article are true, why on earth would you find this comforting?

I find it comforting that my future law school's faculty share the same political views as I do. I wasn't referring to the discrimination.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:42 pm

8thnebula wrote:ColtonDLong

Last time I checked, this was a public message board and I saw no indication that you in any way control the content of what is posted here. It also would appear that you've got some sort of distorted emotional connection to Iowa and you seem to get upset whenever someone challenges your perception of the University, as though to do so is some sort of personal attack on you. Maybe you need to get a grip on reality.

In any event, the post was designed to illustrate that this situation is typical for what goes on at Iowa Law. As such, people applying to Iowa should know what they're in for.

I have a feeling you are the same person who bashes on Iowa every year on these boards. It seems you had a bad experience with the school. I, myself, know many many people who attend and attended Iowa and came away with a great degree and a great experience.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 pm

8thnebula wrote:ColtonDLong

Yes...I have a distorted perception. That's it. I actually am between a few schools right now, but I find some of the general attacks on a school with such reputability as Iowa ludicrous to say the least. If it is such a bad school, then why doesn't it just move down to T2 status? It isn't my fault that you got kicked out of Cooley, so stop taking it out on everyone else. The point is, YES it is a public forum, but this thread in particular is for a specific purpose--to discuss our plans or hopes at Iowa next year, not to fill the thread with spam and unneeded shit that 3 people post over and over again on this forum and JD underground. Mind your own business and stay out of the thread if you're going to pollute it with spam.

8thnebula

New

Post by 8thnebula » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:56 pm

reputability??

What did you do, attend the George W. Bush School of Communication in the English Language? You're going to law school? Do you realize that lawyers are required to write in a clear and intelligible manner? It seems like you have some remedial work to do.
Last edited by 8thnebula on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm hoping for that acceptance letter any day now... been complete for two months. I realize my GPA is not stellar, but my LSAT and strong upward trend ought to help, along with the fact I'm a resident and Iowa grad.

The political leanings of college faculty are given too much attention. I sincerely doubt the Iowa college of law is producing classes of lawyers whose political affiliation is proportionate to the faculty's.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”