Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Lawguru

Bronze

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by Lawguru » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:50 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Behind Wisco's?!? I don't think so.
I do...where's the virtual tour on Iowa's site?
Meh. I didn't know there was one on Wisco's actually :oops:

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 am

Jones, Dow wrote:hey party people. when was/is your first seat deposit due?
April 1st

tigerl

New

Post by tigerl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:08 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:
tigerl wrote:Thank you so much for the input. I am thinking really hard right now. And I love the mid-westerners! So friendly (and cute)!
Yes. Yes, we are.
Liar.[/quote]
lol A girl can dream.[/quote]
What are your thoughts on this decision between Tulane and Iowa.[/quote]

I'm more concerned about the prospective career opportunities those two schools would offer. As an international student, I would love to work for some firms that have established or are seeking to forge a business relationship in the Asian market. That leaves mainly big firms in big cities. Iowa's reputation in the midwest and its geographic closeness to Chicago is a huge pro, while Tulane seems to have a relatively better national replacement, esp. in NY. So...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:57 pm

poiuy wrote:P.S. Out of curiousity, does anyone know if Iowa plans to actually reduce the in-state requirements to 40-50% in the near future, to increase student competitiveness?
Dean Byrd said that he would but the legislature won't allow it. However, it might not be so bad. A fairly large percentage of those in state students have lower scores. This might translate into less competition for top grades (more likely not). Until first semester grades come out, it's a mystery.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:09 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
poiuy wrote:P.S. Out of curiousity, does anyone know if Iowa plans to actually reduce the in-state requirements to 40-50% in the near future, to increase student competitiveness?
Dean Byrd said that he would but the legislature won't allow it. However, it might not be so bad. A fairly large percentage of those in state students have lower scores. This might translate into less competition for top grades (more likely not). Until first semester grades come out, it's a mystery.
Ummm....I guess that's sort of looking on the bright side of a bad situation.

Also, did Dean Byrd tell you this off the record? Because I don't remember him saying that (although I definitely sensed he felt that way from the way he talked about it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:33 pm

pomona wrote:Also, did Dean Byrd tell you this off the record? Because I don't remember him saying that (although I definitely sensed he felt that way from the way he talked about it).
I remember him saying that he could instantly raise the median by a few points merely by lowering that requirement by 5%. He talked about how difficult it is to comply with the requirement. It seemed clear to me that he would lower the requirement to 45% give or take.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:40 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
pomona wrote:Also, did Dean Byrd tell you this off the record? Because I don't remember him saying that (although I definitely sensed he felt that way from the way he talked about it).
I remember him saying that he could instantly raise the median by a few points merely by lowering that requirement by 5%. He talked about how difficult it is to comply with the requirement. It seemed clear to me that he would lower the requirement to 45% give or take.
I remember that too; that if the requirement was lowered to 45%, it wouldn't force him to take lower quality Iowa residents rather than higher quality non-residents (that the natural rate would be ~45% Iowa residents/~55% out of staters). But, I imagine if he had his druthers he would get rid of it all together. It would definitely make his life a lot easier.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:09 pm

pomona wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
I remember that too; that if the requirement was lowered to 45%, it wouldn't force him to take lower quality Iowa residents rather than higher quality non-residents (that the natural rate would be ~45% Iowa residents/~55% out of staters). But, I imagine if he had his druthers he would get rid of it all together. It would definitely make his life a lot easier.
I think he would accept the requirement at 45% as a sort of concession to the legislature but you're right about him preferring full autonomy.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:13 pm

tigerl wrote: I'm more concerned about the prospective career opportunities those two schools would offer. As an international student, I would love to work for some firms that have established or are seeking to forge a business relationship in the Asian market. That leaves mainly big firms in big cities. Iowa's reputation in the midwest and its geographic closeness to Chicago is a huge pro, while Tulane seems to have a relatively better national replacement, esp. in NY. So...
I do know that Iowa has a good international law program. They have a ton of upper-division classes in international topics. See: http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/Subj ... %20rev.pdf and http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/courses.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:15 pm

i just got hung up on by their financial aid office :(

i must say Iowa has been the rudest admissions office throughout my application experience.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:22 pm

isustudent wrote:i just got hung up on by their financial aid office :(

i must say Iowa has been the rudest admissions office throughout my application experience.
Wait, admissions or financial aid has been rude (as they're totally separate at Iowa)? I found admissions to be super nice and helpful, while financial aid awfully rude.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 pm

pomona wrote:
isustudent wrote:i just got hung up on by their financial aid office :(

Wait, admissions or financial aid has been rude (as they're totally separate at Iowa)? I found admissions to be super nice and helpful, while financial aid awfully rude.
Admissions has been great, really made me feel wanted. Financial aid, not so much but I only talked to them once and it was the central financial aid office that handles 30-some thousand students. I imagine their job is not easy. They did sound a little snippy.

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:27 pm

the law schools financial aid office was rude, admissions just was not that helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 pm

isustudent wrote:the law schools financial aid office was rude, admissions just was not that helpful.
How so?

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Finally logged onto ISIS today..none of my fin. aid documents have been received. Should I be concerned? Because from what it sounds like on this page I should avoid contacting the aid office at all costs. :(

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:08 pm

Whitty wrote:Finally logged onto ISIS today..none of my fin. aid documents have been received. Should I be concerned? Because from what it sounds like on this page I should avoid contacting the aid office at all costs. :(
Did you change it to Fall 2009 in the upper right corner? I thought the same thing before I noticed it was on Spring 2009...

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:14 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote: Did you change it to Fall 2009 in the upper right corner? I thought the same thing before I noticed it was on Spring 2009...
Oh haha thanks..look at that. Complete and reviewed April 1st. Good to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Whitty wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote: Did you change it to Fall 2009 in the upper right corner? I thought the same thing before I noticed it was on Spring 2009...
Only three weeks until they tell you how much debt you will accrue. Bring it on!

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:32 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
isustudent wrote:the law schools financial aid office was rude, admissions just was not that helpful.
How so?
Just several times I waited awhile for an email response and left phone messages that were never returned. Honestly though it doesn't matter, because the staff/profs I met and have talked with at ASW that I will actually be interacting with at the school were amazing. I guess that is a lot more important.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Whenever I've e-mailed anyone at the LS about my file, what to wear at ASD (yes, I sent that e-mail), or anything else, I've always gotten a quick reply from someone who seemed patient enough to deal with my (sometimes) ridiculous questions. Maybe FA or people at UI generally are less patient, but we won't see them as often, if much at all.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Lawguru wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
FYI it sucks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:35 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
FYI it sucks.
The fact is that it's there. As far as site quality goes, Iowa's is comparable to the old Yahoo Geocities sites. I'm not bashing the school, but that website is a joke.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:14 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
FYI it sucks.
The fact is that it's there. As far as site quality goes, Iowa's is comparable to the old Yahoo Geocities sites. I'm not bashing the school, but that website is a joke.
The site does suck - no argument here - but Madison's virtual tour is hardly the example to use in proving the point.

tigerl

New

Post by tigerl » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:49 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Whitty wrote:
Only three weeks until they tell you how much debt you will accrue. Bring it on!
So you are officially going to UI?

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:40 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote: The fact is that it's there. As far as site quality goes, Iowa's is comparable to the old Yahoo Geocities sites. I'm not bashing the school, but that website is a joke.
The site does suck - no argument here - but Madison's virtual tour is hardly the example to use in proving the point.
It's always better to have something than nothing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”