Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
BobDole34

New

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:41 am

Quick question for everyone: why is Iowa's website so bad? I am not a troll and not trying to disrespect, but I look at all of these admitted student websites for other institutions and I can't help but think Iowa's bare website is symbolic of the state, which is one of my major apprehensions on enrolling.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:19 am

Good point about the website. I think much of that has to do with certain priorities Iowa is putting on different things. Their Wikipedia site is the same way. Which reminds me...
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE UPDATE OR HELP ME UPDATE THE IOWA LAW WIKIPEDIA SITE!!?!?!?!?!?!?

It is WAY too long, and WAY unorganized, and there are no photos of the law school or other stuff.

IpunchedCharlieRose

New

Post by IpunchedCharlieRose » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:21 am

Why do you care about Wikipedia?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:25 am

IpunchedCharlieRose wrote:Why do you care about Wikipedia?
Maybe it is just me, but I think plenty of prospective students go on wikipedia to see info about law schools. It is a useful tool, and it seems many sschools in Iowa's range have done a great job of utilizing it.

tigerl

New

Post by tigerl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
tigerl wrote:Anyone would share your idea about Iowa vs Tulane with 25k?

I mean, seriously, I love iowa but as I have to pay 17k more for non-residential tuition, the offer at Tulane never looks as overwhelming as it is now (plus a warmer climate where I can exhibit my flamboyant tank tops :P. A huge point for exhibitionists like me).
You would pay less for 2L and 3L at Iowa if you get an RA/TA job and the vast majority of out of state students that want them get them.

I'm not very familiar with Tulane but crime might be a concern. At Iowa, not so much as Iowa City is ranked as one of the most livable cities in the country. Just my two cents.

Edit: tank tops are entirely appropriate from late spring to early fall at Iowa if that floats your boat.
Thank you so much for the input. I am thinking really hard right now. And I love the mid-westerners! So friendly (and cute)!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:15 pm

I agree, the webiste is lacking a little in the aesthetics department and generally can be a little user-unfriendly when you're looking for specific information (no search tool) but honestly I can't imagine taking that into account when deciding on admissions. :?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 pm

tigerl wrote:Thank you so much for the input. I am thinking really hard right now. And I love the mid-westerners! So friendly (and cute)!
Yes. Yes, we are.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:48 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
tigerl wrote:Thank you so much for the input. I am thinking really hard right now. And I love the mid-westerners! So friendly (and cute)!
Yes. Yes, we are.
Liar.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Houston, we have Hawkmail. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tigerl

New

Post by tigerl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:17 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Yes. Yes, we are.
Liar.
lol A girl can dream.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:06 pm

tigerl wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Yes. Yes, we are.
Liar.
lol A girl can dream.
What are your thoughts on this decision between Tulane and Iowa.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Whitty wrote:Houston, we have Hawkmail. :mrgreen:
+1

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:06 pm

I just did a search on the students and faculty directory at U of Iowa for a girl that went to my UG. It returned her email address, home address, and telephone number among other things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Whitty wrote:I agree, the webiste is lacking a little in the aesthetics department and generally can be a little user-unfriendly when you're looking for specific information (no search tool) but honestly I can't imagine taking that into account when deciding on admissions. :?
Naw, it's not a big factor, but feeds narrative about Iowa being kind of behind everyone else (e.g. boring state, falling in US News rankings, etc). It also leads one to question the school's desire to remain in touch with the competitive market of law schools. Literally on some 3 and 4th tier websites you can tour the law school, learn soooo much about the institution and its students. Iowa is just a giant white space. Kind of like the state. Heh.
Last edited by BobDole34 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:21 pm

I made this.

Got kind of messed when I converted it to jpeg, but still ok.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 pm

Ohhhh pretty CH!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm

It's my desktop background now, too :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:59 pm

BobDole34 wrote:
Whitty wrote:I agree, the webiste is lacking a little in the aesthetics department and generally can be a little user-unfriendly when you're looking for specific information (no search tool) but honestly I can't imagine taking that into account when deciding on admissions. :?
Naw, it's not a big factor, but feeds narrative about Iowa being kind of behind everyone else (e.g. boring state, falling in US News rankings, etc). It also leads one to question the school's desire to remain in touch with the competitive market of law schools. Literally on some 3 and 4th tier websites you can tour the law school, learn soooo much about the institution and its students. Iowa is just a giant white space. Kind of like the state. Heh.
It is annoying but after a while you can find most things. On the other hand, the library website is better. A search function would be nice.

greentrees

New

Post by greentrees » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:40 am

The powers that be are in the process of redesigning the website. Should be launched in 2010 from what I have heard.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:12 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
BobDole34 wrote:
It is annoying but after a while you can find most things. On the other hand, the library website is better. A search function would be nice.
Well, I think that the reason T3 and 4 sites are like this is because they HAVE to be like that to attract students. umn or UWs websites aren't all that different from Iowa's in respect to design and organization.

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:18 am

hey party people. when was/is your first seat deposit due?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:21 am

Lawguru wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
BobDole34 wrote:
Well, I think that the reason T3 and 4 sites are like this is because they HAVE to be like that to attract students. umn or UWs websites aren't all that different from Iowa's in respect to design and organization.
No offense, but Iowa's definitely lags behind those two...

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:22 am

Behind Wisco's?!? I don't think so.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 am

Lawguru wrote:Behind Wisco's?!? I don't think so.
I do...where's the virtual tour on Iowa's site?

poiuy

New

Post by poiuy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:41 am

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posting. The fact the school does so well in rankings despite the LSAT avg's and the 50% in state requirements could also reflect well on Iowa academics, as someone suggested to me. I did see the Vault rankings/reviews for Iowa, and I was quite impressed. From what I can tell the school has a pretty solid career-center, though I think there were some mixed opinions about the alumni network.

From employment stats, it seems that not as many go into "Big Law" as similarly ranked schools (or at least into "Big Law" in cities where incomes and cost are living are high). However, this may be by choice. With my thoughts about possibly going into Securities Law (I come from a Finance backround), "Big Law" or a competitive position with the SEC are considerations. I'm guessing top 25-35% would have a decent shot at positions like these coming from Iowa, though you might be able to get in the door being a little lower down if you have other qualifications/considerations. Anyone else have any thoughts?

P.S. Out of curiousity, does anyone know if Iowa plans to actually reduce the in-state requirements to 40-50% in the near future, to increase student competitiveness?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”