Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
scott82

Bronze

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by scott82 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:33 pm

sccjnthn wrote:I am thinking about applying to Iowa for 2013. Did any out of state students have luck with scholarships?
I really like Iowa but can't justify the price without significant $.
What are your numbers?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 pm

sccjnthn wrote:I am thinking about applying to Iowa for 2013. Did any out of state students have luck with scholarships?
Have good numbers and apply early and you're golden. 3.5/164 will net you 10k/yr.

sccjnthn

New

Post by sccjnthn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:52 am

I have a 3.4 and have been testing in the 168-172 range but we all know how accurate practice scores are. Unfortunately I will not be able to take the test until after I return from overseas in October.
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Have good numbers and apply early and you're golden. 3.5/164 will net you 10k/yr.
Did you have any stipulations on your scholarship?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:32 am

sccjnthn wrote:I have a 3.4 and have been testing in the 168-172 range but we all know how accurate practice scores are. Unfortunately I will not be able to take the test until after I return from overseas in October.
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Did you have any stipulations on your scholarship?
They stipulate that you remain in the top 1/3 of the class but I was telling you what Dean Byrd told me, not what I got in the way of scholarship money.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:40 am

If you're worried about $, you should also know that 2L and 3L students have the opportunity for research assistant positions which gives them resident tuition rates. There aren't enough RA spots for everyone to get one, but the general consensus among 2Ls and 3Ls I've talked to is that if you're willing to put forth the effort, you can land one, as most profs prefer to give them to non-resident students.

If your PTs are indicative of your eventual LSAT score, I'd imagine you have a pretty good shot at $$$.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:58 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Not true. I had numbers better than this and saw nothing.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Could have been because you're a resident. But yeah, we should refrain from absolutes.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Brick Tamland wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
You're an instate student, though.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 pm

scott82 wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Could have been because you're a resident. But yeah, we should refrain from absolutes.
Agreed, generally, but Dean Byrd told me that those numbers equate to that figure. Also, my numbers twin on lsn received that scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:21 am

If anyone lives or knows someone who lives in Seville or someplace nice, not too expensive, and FAR FROM TRAINS THAT WAKE YOU UP AT TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING... please let me know. Thank you.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 am

Looking to move already?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:43 am

Just thinking about it for next year. It's gotten near unbearable and not better.

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:If anyone lives or knows someone who lives in Seville or someplace nice, not too expensive, and FAR FROM TRAINS THAT WAKE YOU UP AT TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING... please let me know. Thank you.
This was annoying for the first couple weeks, but I seriously don't even notice them anymore. I kinda like the sound, actually.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:10 pm

NorseHawk wrote:This was annoying for the first couple weeks, but I seriously don't even notice them anymore. I kinda like the sound, actually.
The low, going-by sounds are ok; the blaring, angry sounding horns? Not so much.

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:36 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
NorseHawk wrote:This was annoying for the first couple weeks, but I seriously don't even notice them anymore. I kinda like the sound, actually.
The low, going-by sounds are ok; the blaring, angry sounding horns? Not so much.
I seriously just barely even notice the horns anymore, and they haven't waken me up since like my third night here. I guess I've just tuned them out. It's kind of a pain when it cuts my route to Boyd off (which has happened way too many times) but other than that, the trains don't bug me at all.

There is a dog nearby with a really high pitch bark that occasionally starts flipping out at like 6 AM though. That's pretty annoying.

greentrees

New

Post by greentrees » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:47 am

So...how are things going? Is everyone enjoying the new cement out front?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:22 pm

greentrees wrote:So...how are things going? Is everyone enjoying the new cement out front?
I spend more time in the library. Floor G is the quietest place in the world. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IpunchedCharlieRose

New

Post by IpunchedCharlieRose » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 am

greentrees wrote:So...how are things going? Is everyone enjoying the new cement out front?
Yes, it is very enjoyable cement. So smooth. In other news, I'm nervous for the Hawkeyes about this Michigan game.

Also, why won't wireless connections work in some of the classrooms now?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:10 pm

I've noticed that, too. The rooms where it never worked now do and those where it always did now don't. How about if, you know, it just works consistently through-out? Would that be too much to ask? $40k/year and we don't get consistent wireless?? Even in the library???

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:09 pm

WTF? Iowa is up to $40k a year now? If you're paying that, drop out, it ain't worth it. Seriously.

I was in IC for the Michigan game this past weekend and I met a fairly recent UM law grad (nice guy, seemed normal, said he graduated with honors) who got no offered by his summer firm for economic reasons and now he is working as a misdemeanor prosecutor in Flint for less money than he made before he went to LS. If you are ascribing an amount of earnings in excess of $50k to your student loan repayment model, you should rethink your model. If you are going to graduate with over 6 figures of debt, think long and hard after you get first semester grades back (if you aren't in the top 10%, query what your employment prospects will look like).

Oh yeah, and quit your complaining about the wireless - back when I went there in the dark ages (it wasn't that long ago, though) they made you buy a $140 network card to get access to the internet in the library and despite its prevalence everywhere else, there was no wireless in the building.

In other news - How 'bout them Hawkeyes?!?!?!? BEAT WISCONSIN! You guys all taking advantage of this and making it to the games? Back when I was there, the law students generally had the most convenient houses for partying on Melrose, Olive Court and that other street off of Melrose and the law school parties were sweet - is that still the case?

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:If anyone lives or knows someone who lives in Seville or someplace nice, not too expensive, and FAR FROM TRAINS THAT WAKE YOU UP AT TWO IN THE FUCKING MORNING... please let me know. Thank you.
Last I remember, Seville wasn't that nice. Those apartments across the street on Benton are nice. Plus the condo buildings on Woodside are nice, even though they are right next to the train tracks, you can't hear the trains because they have thick windows. I lived there my last semester and was never woken up, but when I lived on Oakcrest, far away from the trains, I could still ocassionally hear them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Iowa has a 161 median LSAT with a 75th percentile of 164. Those are very doable numbers and greater than that can equal $. I have heard that Iowa City is wonderful and I am from the midwest (Ohio). I will be throwing an app their way for this cycle.

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
I spend more time in the library. Floor G is the quietest place in the world. :D
Agreed. My carrel was down on G because of that. The first floor was kind of like social hour, not a good place to study. The only issue with G is that once people find out how underutilized the bathroom is down there, you'll see a bunch of kids rolling down there with newspapers under their arms. You gotta put an end to that problem by confronting them and telling them to keep their filth up on 1 or 3.

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 pm

theghostofDrewTate wrote: In other news - How 'bout them Hawkeyes?!?!?!? BEAT WISCONSIN! You guys all taking advantage of this and making it to the games? Back when I was there, the law students generally had the most convenient houses for partying on Melrose, Olive Court and that other street off of Melrose and the law school parties were sweet - is that still the case?
Hell yes. Pretty sweet season to start school there so far (although, goddamn, it'd be nice if they'd stop making it so close. The UNI game just about killed me). Got to rush the field at Kinnick on Saturday for the 2nd time in my life, that was pretty cool. As for parties, I think that's still mostly the case to some extent, although I'll admit that I've spent most of my time tailgating with people I know who are in other grad programs or finishing up undergrad.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:14 pm

I hate Northwestern.

eom

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”