Emory Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:14 pm

i'd never visited Overstock.com until yoiu mentioned it--very awesome site, thanks gatorfan!

also.. i feel liek im getting lazier as the summer progresses. :shock:

AJ101
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby AJ101 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Pessimistic news. Anyone catch this article?

--LinkRemoved--

You guys think it will pass by our time?

User avatar
throughthewetgrass
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby throughthewetgrass » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:01 am

AJ101 wrote:Pessimistic news. Anyone catch this article?

--LinkRemoved--

You guys think it will pass by our time?


maybe maybe not, but this shouldn't really be too surprising.. most schools are going through the same thing, it's part of the times that we are living in..

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby jamaicanjynx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does anyone know when we get assigned to sections? I'm hoping it's early enough for me to figure out which books I need and find them cheaper online.

royal34
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby royal34 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:35 pm

We're not going to find out our sections till orientation. I think that super blows because we pretty much will be forced to get them from the bookstore :(

Did any else happen to catch CNN today where they interviewed a bunch of Emory Law students about Sotomayor??

User avatar
funkblaster
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby funkblaster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm thinking about getting some people together to go out in Atlanta tonight. If anyone's interested, PM me. I posted this on the facebook site, but I thought a few people might miss it there and see it here. I know it's short notice, so we might have to do something next weekend with a bit more notice.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:46 pm

royal34 wrote:We're not going to find out our sections till orientation. I think that super blows because we pretty much will be forced to get them from the bookstore :(

Did any else happen to catch CNN today where they interviewed a bunch of Emory Law students about Sotomayor??


no, i didn't. but interested to hear about it! :D

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:49 pm

campus crossings people:

i'm kinda confused as to what will be in the room and what won't (when we move in). the pictures online show bed stands, and even a nice sofa set + coffee table in the living room. this seems too good to be true, so i was wondering if "fully furnished" actually includes all of that. does anyone know? Also, it looks like the bed is a full size--but anyone know for sure? thankks!

caic517
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby caic517 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:46 pm

booker09 wrote:campus crossings people:

i'm kinda confused as to what will be in the room and what won't (when we move in). the pictures online show bed stands, and even a nice sofa set + coffee table in the living room. this seems too good to be true, so i was wondering if "fully furnished" actually includes all of that. does anyone know? Also, it looks like the bed is a full size--but anyone know for sure? thankks!


Haha, I'm thinking the same thing. Although IIRC, I think someone visited Campus Crossings and took a few pics of the rooms and they did seem to have furniture readily placed there. Hopefully that applies to all the rooms.

User avatar
throughthewetgrass
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby throughthewetgrass » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:39 am

booker09 wrote:campus crossings people:

i'm kinda confused as to what will be in the room and what won't (when we move in). the pictures online show bed stands, and even a nice sofa set + coffee table in the living room. this seems too good to be true, so i was wondering if "fully furnished" actually includes all of that. does anyone know? Also, it looks like the bed is a full size--but anyone know for sure? thankks!


all that stuff is really there. i had a hard time believing it too when i was checking out the place a couple months back. coffee table, sofas, desk chairs, bed stands, etc.. it's nice.

User avatar
Timmybb13
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby Timmybb13 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:17 pm

OK Emory TLS folks...here's the deal. My lease starts on August 1 and I will no longer be attending Emory. So, if you want a place in Campus Crossings (one of the best spots in the building)-4th floor, quad/pool view, private bathroom,

*** I WILL PERSONALLY PAY $200 OF YOUR AUGUST RENT(!!!) if you sign the lease this week. ***

This is the only top floor room available as far as I'm aware.

Let me know ASAP through PM and I will get you in touch with Campus Crossings.

Timmy

caic517
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby caic517 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:31 am

and I will no longer be attending Emory


Shame to see you go but good luck with whatever endeavor you're going to do.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:48 am

throughthewetgrass wrote:
booker09 wrote:campus crossings people:

i'm kinda confused as to what will be in the room and what won't (when we move in). the pictures online show bed stands, and even a nice sofa set + coffee table in the living room. this seems too good to be true, so i was wondering if "fully furnished" actually includes all of that. does anyone know? Also, it looks like the bed is a full size--but anyone know for sure? thankks!


all that stuff is really there. i had a hard time believing it too when i was checking out the place a couple months back. coffee table, sofas, desk chairs, bed stands, etc.. it's nice.


i called to confirm. i'm happy.

i'm just not that happy about the fact that the Shuttle doesn't run on the weekends. that means i'll be stuck at home Sat/Sun.. :|

royal34
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby royal34 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:11 pm

booker09 wrote:
throughthewetgrass wrote:
booker09 wrote:campus crossings people:

i'm kinda confused as to what will be in the room and what won't (when we move in). the pictures online show bed stands, and even a nice sofa set + coffee table in the living room. this seems too good to be true, so i was wondering if "fully furnished" actually includes all of that. does anyone know? Also, it looks like the bed is a full size--but anyone know for sure? thankks!


all that stuff is really there. i had a hard time believing it too when i was checking out the place a couple months back. coffee table, sofas, desk chairs, bed stands, etc.. it's nice.


i called to confirm. i'm happy.

i'm just not that happy about the fact that the Shuttle doesn't run on the weekends. that means i'll be stuck at home Sat/Sun.. :|


Sigh to the shuttle not running on weekends. I heard there is a MARTA stop close by to CC. But I also heard the MARTA is not reliable. Im from NY so I already feel like nothing compares to our subway system. I did undergrad in DC, and their metro was decent... but as far as ATLs system........

csswen
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby csswen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey everyone,

Congratulations on getting into Emory Law. While I am still in undergrad (rising senior), I thought I could be of some help to some of the previous posters that had not had a chance at visiting yet, as I am currently attending Emory. Here it goes.

Emory Law is located on the main campus in Atlanta, meaning it shares a lot of space with the Undergrad college, and Business school. This is beneficial because although the Law school has it's own building/campus, it is helpful for students to have access to ALL that Emory has to offer e.g. dining halls, libraries, campus facilities, concert halls, student center, gym, etc. The facilities that Emory has to offer are very generous. From the current Emory law students that I have interacted with while on campus, they like the mix of law/undergrad campus feel. For instance, it is not uncommon for me to eat in one of our dining halls and see some law students eating at the table next to me.

The Undergrad campus itself is very green, with lots of green space, open quad space, etc. for lounging, napping, reading, frisbee, etc. That is in addition to the Law school campus itself. The law school facilities are very up to date, the law library is very good, and overall the atmosphere feels very open. I'm not sure how competitive the environment is, but the law students that i have talked to don't seem to have any issues with it (or at least didn't mention any).

In terms of housing, I can't comment on that because Emory has recently decided to move the grad students to another location. I can tell you that the previous residential campus for grad students, the Clairmont campus, is VERY nice. I lived there last year, and will be living there again this year. So, that might be a good sign for you.

The Decatur/Atlanta area is a very good area for students including lots of different eating options, shops, etc., and there are alot of restaurants and shops within walking distance. The Emory area is pretty safe from what I have experienced. Also, Atlanta features alot of clubs, bars, concert venues, etc. for those looking for a night life, or just some fun.

Anyways, there's probably more I could say, but I hope that helps. Obviously, visiting is way better than anything, but in case you can't, I hope this helps.

Cheers.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 pm

csswen, thanks! that is good to know :D

on another note. Anyone have Nancy Tappin as their financial advisor? WHY does she never pick up the phone in her office? damn i've called her literally 7 times in the last 2 weeks in regards to my loans, which i just learned won't be disbursed until mid/late August (there goes using loans to pay for my first month's rent).

financial aid offices everywhere really suck (lol at generalizing from only 2 schools in my experience but oh well)

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:31 pm

royal34 wrote:
Sigh to the shuttle not running on weekends. I heard there is a MARTA stop close by to CC. But I also heard the MARTA is not reliable. Im from NY so I already feel like nothing compares to our subway system. I did undergrad in DC, and their metro was decent... but as far as ATLs system........


as a fellow northerner. can we just sit back and laugh at the T? in Boston? rofl

User avatar
funkblaster
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby funkblaster » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:05 am

booker09 wrote:csswen, thanks! that is good to know :D

on another note. Anyone have Nancy Tappin as their financial advisor? WHY does she never pick up the phone in her office? damn i've called her literally 7 times in the last 2 weeks in regards to my loans, which i just learned won't be disbursed until mid/late August (there goes using loans to pay for my first month's rent).

financial aid offices everywhere really suck (lol at generalizing from only 2 schools in my experience but oh well)

That sucks. I would just try a different person and act like you didn't know you were assigned to someone else. My hick accent makes it really easy to play dumb. The lady I've spoken with has been very helpful, and she has gone out of her way to answer my questions. I'm too tired (lazy) to find her name now, but I'll tell you if you PM me tomorrow.

So, OPUS mentions a penalty if we pay after a certain date, which is prior to the financial aid disbursement date (Aug. 18, I think). I'm assuming the late fee does not apply if our tuition is not coming in the form of a personal check. Should I assume that this is correct? Anyone else? By the way, I called Discover (my loan provider) with some questions about interest and when it is compounded. Based on the information they gave me, the interest would amount to 150% of the principal after three years. Bear in mind that the principal only reaches the full amount during the third year. I then called back a couple of times until the person that answered the phone understood my question. I guess I'm just saying that you should make sure you're getting good information when you're asking about this stuff. In my case, there was a $48,000 dollar difference (in interest) between the answers I received. Make sure the person you're speaking to understands your question!

User avatar
sintona
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby sintona » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:51 am

I've got penne jacobson as my fin aid advisor and she has been pretty good to me so far. Whenever I send her an email, she responds within a few hours.

User avatar
scBlueDevil
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby scBlueDevil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:38 pm

funkblaster wrote:
So, OPUS mentions a penalty if we pay after a certain date, which is prior to the financial aid disbursement date (Aug. 18, I think). I'm assuming the late fee does not apply if our tuition is not coming in the form of a personal check. Should I assume that this is correct? Anyone else?


On OPUS look under the Holds and Clearances section. Do you have an item titled "StuFinl-Registration Clearance"? This item shows up for me, and I assume it means that student financial services has cleared my registration balance because my entire tuition payment will come from the law scholarship and loans.

User avatar
throughthewetgrass
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby throughthewetgrass » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:59 pm

scBlueDevil wrote:
funkblaster wrote:
So, OPUS mentions a penalty if we pay after a certain date, which is prior to the financial aid disbursement date (Aug. 18, I think). I'm assuming the late fee does not apply if our tuition is not coming in the form of a personal check. Should I assume that this is correct? Anyone else?


On OPUS look under the Holds and Clearances section. Do you have an item titled "StuFinl-Registration Clearance"? This item shows up for me, and I assume it means that student financial services has cleared my registration balance because my entire tuition payment will come from the law scholarship and loans.


Yup that is correct. I called and they said not to worry about the Registration Bill, and that the loans exceeded tuition so a refund is on the way. Pretty much what you can assume from the message but was just double-checking.

mattyboy7we
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby mattyboy7we » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:39 pm

booker09 wrote:csswen, thanks! that is good to know :D

on another note. Anyone have Nancy Tappin as their financial advisor? WHY does she never pick up the phone in her office? damn i've called her literally 7 times in the last 2 weeks in regards to my loans, which i just learned won't be disbursed until mid/late August (there goes using loans to pay for my first month's rent).

financial aid offices everywhere really suck (lol at generalizing from only 2 schools in my experience but oh well)



I have her also, called her and emailed her without getting a response for a week or so. Also someone else called me back not her.

User avatar
NOLAbball
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby NOLAbball » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Anyone with scholarships - has your award been posted?

caic517
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby caic517 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:05 pm

NOLAbball wrote:Anyone with scholarships - has your award been posted?


It should be on OPUS waiting for your acceptance.

User avatar
throughthewetgrass
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby throughthewetgrass » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 pm

NOLAbball wrote:Anyone with scholarships - has your award been posted?


yea, a month or 2 ago




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest