Emory Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gatorfan787
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby gatorfan787 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:08 pm

booker09 wrote:hey all, sry if this has already been discussed, but what kind of financial aid packets have ppl been getting?

i (finally!!) got my financial aid packet over the phone, and was told that it was $20,500 in stafford loans. on the FAFSA website, it says $20,500 is the max amount for a grad student per year, but only less than half of it is subsidized. i was wondering if anyone got any other kind of loan (anything other than stafford?).


$20,500 is the max per year in Stafford Loans. To cover any difference between your financial aid award letter and the total cost of living per year for Emory (~63k), you can take out Grad Plus loans. As far as I know there are no federal grants for graduate school.

Grad plus loans are at a fixed interest rate of 8.5%, interest starts when the loan is issued, and payments start after graduation (90 days I believe).

More info:

http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/grad ... e-plus.php

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/ ... udents.jsp

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:10 pm

gatorfan787 wrote:
booker09 wrote:hey all, sry if this has already been discussed, but what kind of financial aid packets have ppl been getting?

i (finally!!) got my financial aid packet over the phone, and was told that it was $20,500 in stafford loans. on the FAFSA website, it says $20,500 is the max amount for a grad student per year, but only less than half of it is subsidized. i was wondering if anyone got any other kind of loan (anything other than stafford?).


$20,500 is the max per year in Stafford Loans. To cover any difference between your financial aid award letter and the total cost of living per year for Emory (~63k), you can take out Grad Plus loans. As far as I know there are no federal grants for graduate school.

Grad plus loans are at a fixed interest rate of 8.5%, interest starts when the loan is issued, and payments start after graduation (90 days I believe).

More info:

http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/grad ... e-plus.php

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/ ... udents.jsp


thanks!! this is really helpful. but the interest on grad plus loans starts accruing BEFORE we graduate? ugh wtf. i might take out a private loan

User avatar
funkblaster
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby funkblaster » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:33 am

If you check the lenders, some offer discounts of .25% on interest for things like electronic funds transfers. I think I found one that would offer up to .5% discount (total of 8%, which is still crippling in my opinion) if a couple of conditions are met. The Emory Financial Aid website has links to the preferred lenders, and this information is available there if you dig. Hope that helps.

gatorfan787
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby gatorfan787 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:55 am

booker09 wrote:
thanks!! this is really helpful. but the interest on grad plus loans starts accruing BEFORE we graduate? ugh wtf. i might take out a private loan


It does so on unsubsidized stafford loans as well...as soon as the loan is disbursed.

Like Funkblaster said, most lenders reduce .25% once you graduate and sign up for electronic payments and some will do another .25% after a few months of regular payments. Also if you do take out grad-plus, pay attention to the origination fee of the lender, some are 3% and others are 4%. The first link in my last post has a long list of Emory's preferred lenders with their benefits.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm

random, but does anyone know if there are computer labs with free printing at Emory? my private, overly stingy UG had like 3 or 4, so I'm hoping Emory has at least 1! (since Emory doesn't seem as stingy with money as my UG. *knock wood*)

ballpointzen
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:17 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby ballpointzen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:30 pm

^^ You get a certain number of print credits every semester. Beyond that you have to pay.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:15 pm

ballpointzen wrote:^^ You get a certain number of print credits every semester. Beyond that you have to pay.



ballpointzen, about how many pages can i go before using up all of my credits? should i buy/bring a printer?

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1449
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby gobucks101 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 pm

I have started to get addicted to sand volleyball. I hope Campus Crossing has a court or there is one nearby!

royal34
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby royal34 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 pm

this may be a long shot, but would anyone have pictures of campus crossings that they could upload here?

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1449
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby gobucks101 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Pics I snapped during visiting day of model room
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1449
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby gobucks101 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Also, their website has a lot of pictures on it too

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
MHP
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby MHP » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Orientation dates have changed! August 17th through 18th involve pre-orientation and team-building activities and August 19th is now mandatory! (20th through 21st are still also mandatory.) :(

So sad because I have an Athens commitment on August 18th, kind of like a last hurrah deal... Oh, well. See you guys on the new MANDATORY date of August 19th, after battling what I imagine will be a frantic, early-morning commute across the state!

royal34
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby royal34 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks for the pics! I've looked at the pictures on the website.

I wondered why they are making orientation longer. What is with this new "class" we will be taking during orientation?

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:19 pm

royal34 wrote:Thanks for the pics! I've looked at the pictures on the website.

I wondered why they are making orientation longer. What is with this new "class" we will be taking during orientation?



not sure what to think of the extended orientation. i've heard that law school orientations are pretty useless, and wth is "group-building activites"? that seemed a little high school-y to me.

chicag-fro
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby chicag-fro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:48 am

I am thinking about switching my cell phone service before moving to Atlanta. I was wondering, for those of you from around the Emory area or who have already moved in, are their any carriers that have particularly bad coverage around the area.

I am thinking about getting tmobile, but I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of signal around the area.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby de5igual » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:53 am

chicag-fro wrote:I am thinking about switching my cell phone service before moving to Atlanta. I was wondering, for those of you from around the Emory area or who have already moved in, are their any carriers that have particularly bad coverage around the area.

I am thinking about getting tmobile, but I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of signal around the area.


t-mobile is horrendous especially in and around the emory campus area. verizon was the only carrier that worked in buildings when i was there for undergrad. i believe emory set up an agreement with verizon so that only they'd have towers on emory property; plus there's a 20% student discount.

chicag-fro
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby chicag-fro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Does at&t also have bad service?

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby de5igual » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:26 pm

back when it was cingular, it was decent, but still not as good as verizon. i remember distinctly that on clairmont campus, only verizon worked and no others. it's been over 2 years, though, and things may have changed.

chicag-fro
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby chicag-fro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks, appreciate the replies

gatorfan787
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby gatorfan787 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:04 pm

I almost constantly have full bars around the Emory area with AT&T, using an iPhone 3g. I'm not sure of how it is inside the buildings, though I was getting e-mails and texts during ASD without an issue so it shouldn't be a problem. AT&T also has a student discount, but it varies from school to school.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:46 pm

t-mobile is terrible. not just at Emory, but in metro Atlanta, and the frekaing suburbs as well.

it seems to work okay in the NY/NJ area though hehe

AJ101
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby AJ101 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm

What lending institution are you guys using for your FAFSA?

I thought the Emory lender that leads to Greatlakes was the best deal, but it does not seem to be too user friendly with applying. Have any of you guys had better experiences?

caic517
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby caic517 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:55 am

AJ101 wrote:What lending institution are you guys using for your FAFSA?

Discover

User avatar
Timmybb13
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby Timmybb13 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 am

If anyone is interested in living in Campus Crossing, the new Emory graduate housing, please PM me. I signed a lease earlier this year but was then accepted off an unexpected wait list.

The room is in a 2 bedroom/bath unit. The apartment has a pool view, kitchen, and your own shower and bathroom within your room. It is fully furnished. I chose my room early on so it is in a great location in the new housing complex.
Last edited by Timmybb13 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:12 pm

deleted!
Last edited by booker09 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest