Emory Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
funkblaster
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby funkblaster » Mon May 04, 2009 10:32 pm

dantimreynolds wrote:
funkblaster wrote:+1 But, the difference between walking from the front or the back of the complex could be substantial. It could possibly double the time it takes to reach Clairmont. Not a big deal until you're sick of doing it for 8 months straight, you're sick, didn't sleep the night before, it's pouring rain.... All that being said, I'm strongly leaning towards this myself.


I own a car...ftw.

Your thinking of the same complex?

Yeah. One of the biggest pluses is that I wouldn't have to buy a parking pass. If you have to ride a shuttle anyway, it would be ridiculous. Even if I live across the street in 2L and 3L, I'll get a pass because the parking is so close for the older folks.

sarahpi
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:08 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby sarahpi » Mon May 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Cliff shuttle = the same shuttle that picks people up at parking decks to drop them around campus. It runs around campus with really frequent stops during peak hours, but also has a couple of extended lines into Decatur and various other areas that run less frequently.

I'm moving July 1st, and definitely up for pre-orientation shenanigans.

User avatar
scBlueDevil
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby scBlueDevil » Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 am

funkblaster wrote:
dantimreynolds wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
dantimreynolds wrote:

Ya i found a place on that site called Highland Lake. 2 miles from school. Haven't signed a lease or anything but am talking to them about it.


what's convenient about highland lake is that it's within walking distance of clairmont campus, so you can always just walk there and hop on the shuttle that takes you straight to the law school. there are lots of undergrads there, though, which may be unappealing.


Ya know, for the deal they are offering me, thats fine. Its a huge complex so anything that big you would assume that there are UG there and I don't have anything against them....yet.

+1 But, the difference between walking from the front or the back of the complex could be substantial. It could possibly double the time it takes to reach Clairmont. Not a big deal until you're sick of doing it for 8 months straight, you're sick, didn't sleep the night before, it's pouring rain.... All that being said, I'm strongly leaning towards this myself.


I actually already signed a lease for Highland Lake. There are a ton of undergrads there, but I don't think that'll be a problem for me... I also reserved an apartment that's in the section closest to the second gate, which is directly off of Clairmont. They seemed pretty desperate to rent the place out, got (what I believe to be) a great deal. I'm also very happy that I don't have to purchase a washer and dryer since the apartment comes with both.

If there's a referral deal, you should put down my name and we could split the reward. Or maybe we could just use the money to take MHP out to the Clermont Lounge...

User avatar
MHP
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby MHP » Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 am

scBlueDevil wrote:
If there's a referral deal, you should put down my name and we could split the reward. Or maybe we could just use the money to take MHP out to the Clermont Lounge...


Whooo-hooo! I knew I'd meet smart people in law school.

But really, once you've paid the cover (which is only steep on Saturday nights, when they have the dance floor and some genre of music called "funk disco" being spun by Romeo Colonge) it's a cheap outing. PBRs for all, 'cause an empty can and an extra five dollars will show you how Blondie recycles. If you venture out to the Lounge on a Tuesday, they have karaoke and I will likely do a Dusty Springfield cover. Oh, the fun to be had. It is six AM and I am drinking coffee and thinking about all the good times I've had at the Clermont. The best part of waking up...

SarahPi: Where can I get a map of the Cliff shuttle's route? I had no idea it went anywhere other than the parking lot.

User avatar
scBlueDevil
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby scBlueDevil » Tue May 05, 2009 8:42 am

MHP wrote:
SarahPi: Where can I get a map of the Cliff shuttle's route? I had no idea it went anywhere other than the parking lot.


http://transportation.emory.edu/transpo ... index.html

sarahpi
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:08 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby sarahpi » Tue May 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks, BlueDevil. I didn't know it went other places either, until I started researching ways to get to school from Decatur.

User avatar
labellavita
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby labellavita » Tue May 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Finally started apartment hunting...I've been to a few complexes in the past couple of days, and I really liked Gables Sheridan. It's only a year old, everything still looks new. Stainless steel appliances & granite counter tops in every kitchen, gated, washer and dryer in every unit. Can anybody familiar with the area tell me anything else about Gables Sheridan (is it safe, etc)?

I'm also interested in the condos across from the law school. Can someone else give me more info on those? I've been trying to find more info online but haven't found anything.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby de5igual » Tue May 05, 2009 8:36 pm

labellavita wrote:Finally started apartment hunting...I've been to a few complexes in the past couple of days, and I really liked Gables Sheridan. It's only a year old, everything still looks new. Stainless steel appliances & granite counter tops in every kitchen, gated, washer and dryer in every unit. Can anybody familiar with the area tell me anything else about Gables Sheridan (is it safe, etc)?

I'm also interested in the condos across from the law school. Can someone else give me more info on those? I've been trying to find more info online but haven't found anything.


i've heard that traffic is horrible there on sheridan/briarcliff during rush hour. it was specifically singled out as a place where you shouldn't live during asw

User avatar
MHP
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby MHP » Wed May 06, 2009 12:18 pm


User avatar
NOLAbball
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby NOLAbball » Wed May 06, 2009 12:36 pm



Yay! 8:30 start time - the extra 30 minutes do make a difference! :mrgreen:

cbrouss
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Somerset Heights

Postby cbrouss » Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 pm

I am going to be living in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo at a place called Somerset Heights in the fall. The condo is ~1 mile from the law school driving and less walking. It is located directly across from the Clairmont Complex/Parking Deck/Shuttle (1501 Clairmont Road) ...I am looking for two roommates who are also in the law school. If anyone doesn't already have plans and thinks they might be interested, please contact me for more info. (cbrouss@emory.edu/352-246-1544)

Thanks,
-Chris

booker09
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby booker09 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm




wait.. have we started registering for classes already??! i havent heard anything.. :-/

Oh and sry for the incredibly noob question, but i've never rented an apartment/taken out an lease before, and i was wondering: if i DO take out a lease (say, for 1 year), and then for whatever reason decide that I don't want to live there, what would be the best course of action to take?

"cancel" the lease? (i imagine there would be cancellation fees or something like that, no?)

or find a subletter? (i hear subletting is illegal...)

thanks

User avatar
scBlueDevil
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby scBlueDevil » Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 pm

booker09 wrote:



wait.. have we started registering for classes already??! i havent heard anything.. :-/

Oh and sry for the incredibly noob question, but i've never rented an apartment/taken out an lease before, and i was wondering: if i DO take out a lease (say, for 1 year), and then for whatever reason decide that I don't want to live there, what would be the best course of action to take?

"cancel" the lease? (i imagine there would be cancellation fees or something like that, no?)

or find a subletter? (i hear subletting is illegal...)

thanks


No, we haven't started registering for classes. My understanding is that for the first year somebody at the law school will place us into a section. We'll take a standard set of first year courses with the classmates in our section, so we won't actually be choosing our classes...

How you go about breaking your lease will depend on the terms of your contract and how flexible the management is willing to be. The terms of my lease specify that I have to notify them in writing some amount of time in advance and then pay a fee in an amount equal to rent for two months. I've heard that some places will waive the fee if you can find somebody to "take over" your lease.

Dantimreynolds was getting into this topic on this thread.

fRoTtMaN
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby fRoTtMaN » Thu May 07, 2009 10:40 am

Can someone tell me the format for your OPUS account name? I can't remember mine.

User avatar
dantimreynolds
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby dantimreynolds » Thu May 07, 2009 10:42 am

fRoTtMaN wrote:Can someone tell me the format for your OPUS account name? I can't remember mine.



mine is EDIT so I can not be even more outed than i already am...stupid user name

But that new site isn't working yet....LAME
Last edited by dantimreynolds on Thu May 07, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

fRoTtMaN
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby fRoTtMaN » Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 am

okay, that probably explains it. i thought i had mine right. thanks!

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby animalcrkrs » Thu May 07, 2009 10:51 am

doesn't look like the regular OPUS site --LinkRemoved-- is working either??

omgbfflol
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby omgbfflol » Thu May 07, 2009 11:48 am

NOLAbball wrote:


Yay! 8:30 start time - the extra 30 minutes do make a difference! :mrgreen:


i better start adjusting my sleep cycle. i've never had a class earlier than 10 am in college, and for the past two years, they all started at noon...

User avatar
MHP
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby MHP » Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 pm

omgbfflol wrote:i better start adjusting my sleep cycle. i've never had a class earlier than 10 am in college, and for the past two years, they all started at noon...


:shock:

The times they are a'changin'.

(...says the old person who cannot wait to have a schedule with nothing before 8:30 and less than sixty hours a week on the clock!)

User avatar
NOLAbball
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby NOLAbball » Thu May 07, 2009 12:49 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:doesn't look like the regular OPUS site --LinkRemoved-- is working either??


The OPUS site is working for me now, but the Admitted Students site is not! :x

User avatar
dantimreynolds
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby dantimreynolds » Thu May 07, 2009 2:02 pm

.
Last edited by dantimreynolds on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
labellavita
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby labellavita » Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 pm

f0bolous wrote:
labellavita wrote:Finally started apartment hunting...I've been to a few complexes in the past couple of days, and I really liked Gables Sheridan. It's only a year old, everything still looks new. Stainless steel appliances & granite counter tops in every kitchen, gated, washer and dryer in every unit. Can anybody familiar with the area tell me anything else about Gables Sheridan (is it safe, etc)?

I'm also interested in the condos across from the law school. Can someone else give me more info on those? I've been trying to find more info online but haven't found anything.


i've heard that traffic is horrible there on sheridan/briarcliff during rush hour. it was specifically singled out as a place where you shouldn't live during asw

That's odd...b/c Gables Sheridan is very close to Post Briarcliff and I haven't heard anyone say not to live in Post because of traffic. Gables Sheridan is literally less than a minute (by car) away from Post Briarcliff...

User avatar
funkblaster
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby funkblaster » Thu May 07, 2009 3:35 pm

labellavita wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
labellavita wrote:Finally started apartment hunting...I've been to a few complexes in the past couple of days, and I really liked Gables Sheridan. It's only a year old, everything still looks new. Stainless steel appliances & granite counter tops in every kitchen, gated, washer and dryer in every unit. Can anybody familiar with the area tell me anything else about Gables Sheridan (is it safe, etc)?

I'm also interested in the condos across from the law school. Can someone else give me more info on those? I've been trying to find more info online but haven't found anything.


i've heard that traffic is horrible there on sheridan/briarcliff during rush hour. it was specifically singled out as a place where you shouldn't live during asw

That's odd...b/c Gables Sheridan is very close to Post Briarcliff and I haven't heard anyone say not to live in Post because of traffic. Gables Sheridan is literally less than a minute (by car) away from Post Briarcliff...

I heard Post was not the place to live for other reasons.

User avatar
labellavita
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby labellavita » Thu May 07, 2009 3:42 pm

funkblaster wrote:
labellavita wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
labellavita wrote:Finally started apartment hunting...I've been to a few complexes in the past couple of days, and I really liked Gables Sheridan. It's only a year old, everything still looks new. Stainless steel appliances & granite counter tops in every kitchen, gated, washer and dryer in every unit. Can anybody familiar with the area tell me anything else about Gables Sheridan (is it safe, etc)?

I'm also interested in the condos across from the law school. Can someone else give me more info on those? I've been trying to find more info online but haven't found anything.


i've heard that traffic is horrible there on sheridan/briarcliff during rush hour. it was specifically singled out as a place where you shouldn't live during asw

That's odd...b/c Gables Sheridan is very close to Post Briarcliff and I haven't heard anyone say not to live in Post because of traffic. Gables Sheridan is literally less than a minute (by car) away from Post Briarcliff...

I heard Post was not the place to live for other reasons.

lol SAME!!! What reasons did you hear?

This apt search is hard...every time I find a place I *think* is nice, someone tells me something bad about it. lol.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Postby de5igual » Thu May 07, 2009 3:46 pm

labellavita wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
labellavita wrote:Finally started apartment hunting...I've been to a few complexes in the past couple of days, and I really liked Gables Sheridan. It's only a year old, everything still looks new. Stainless steel appliances & granite counter tops in every kitchen, gated, washer and dryer in every unit. Can anybody familiar with the area tell me anything else about Gables Sheridan (is it safe, etc)?

I'm also interested in the condos across from the law school. Can someone else give me more info on those? I've been trying to find more info online but haven't found anything.


i've heard that traffic is horrible there on sheridan/briarcliff during rush hour. it was specifically singled out as a place where you shouldn't live during asw

That's odd...b/c Gables Sheridan is very close to Post Briarcliff and I haven't heard anyone say not to live in Post because of traffic. Gables Sheridan is literally less than a minute (by car) away from Post Briarcliff...


different side of the street...with Briarcliff, you're directly on Lavista. With Sheridan, you have to get on Briarcliff, then get on LaVista




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest