Emory Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
sintona

New

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Post by sintona » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:51 pm

gobucks101 wrote:3 A.M. closing time...wasn't used to that. I don't know what bar it as I went to last night but it was fun. 5 dollar cover charge but good music and dancing. Good times. Also, just bought mario kart for the super nintendo on ebay. Score.

nice. best drinking game ever.

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:57 pm

I have been on an Ebay buying spree for Super Nintendo games. My collection will include...
1. Killer Instinct
2. Madden 94
3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
4. Earthworm Jim 2
5. Star Fox
6. Super Mario World
7. Street Fighter 2: Turbo
8. Mario Kart
9. Super Punch Out
10. Tecmo Super NBA Basketball
and soon to order...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV

throughthewetgrass

New

Post by throughthewetgrass » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:51 pm

gobucks101 wrote:I have been on an Ebay buying spree for Super Nintendo games. My collection will include...
1. Killer Instinct
2. Madden 94
4. Earthworm Jim 2
5. Star Fox
6. Super Mario World
8. Mario Kart
9. Super Punch Out
ah man, i wish we were roommates..

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:53 pm

You are Campus Crossing as well right? If so, I will destroy you at Madden 94.

throughthewetgrass

New

Post by throughthewetgrass » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:53 pm

gobucks101 wrote:You are Campus Crossing as well right? If so, I will destroy you at Madden 94.
yea you probably will the first 2-3 times til i get brushed up, after that though, it's on like donkey kong..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

areinke

New

Post by areinke » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:22 pm

funkblaster wrote:I know several places. We can decide on a type of place (dive, Irish pub, brewery, etc.), and then figure out a spot.
A dive bar sounds like fun to me. I'm up for pretty much anything though.

kyle

New

Post by kyle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:51 am

gobucks101 wrote:I have been on an Ebay buying spree for Super Nintendo games. My collection will include...
1. Killer Instinct
2. Madden 94
4. Earthworm Jim 2
5. Star Fox
6. Super Mario World
8. Mario Kart
9. Super Punch Out

youre at CC ? ill be there in a week.... we are playing donky kong

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:10 pm

kyle wrote:

For sure. My 2 roommates are PT students and they have summer classes so I'm bored during the day and if anyone wants to help me brush up on my Madden skills hit me up anytime. Most of my day is spent pool side, working out or playing super nintendo....rough life.

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:59 pm

gobucks101 wrote:
kyle wrote:

For sure. My 2 roommates are PT students and they have summer classes so I'm bored during the day and if anyone wants to help me brush up on my Madden skills hit me up anytime. Most of my day is spent pool side, working out or playing super nintendo....rough life.
+10000000

seems like the best way to spend the summer before the semester starts 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gatorfan787

New

Post by gatorfan787 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Alright, those of you who are already in town, I think we need to get the first official ELS'12 booze-fest underway this FRIDAY the 7TH. Say 10PM??

Brick Store Pub sounds like the perfect venue to me... 2 miles from the law school, 16 draft beers, 62 bottled, 26 scotches, 9 Irish whiskeys, and 8 small-batch bourbons, a selection of wines? I'll take one of each please... :lol:

http://www.brickstorepub.com/

So... who's in? (Depending on turn-out, I may do a pre-game at my place if anyones interested).

areinke

New

Post by areinke » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 pm

gatorfan787 wrote:Alright, those of you who are already in town, I think we need to get the first official ELS'12 booze-fest underway this FRIDAY the 7TH. Say 10PM??

Brick Store Pub sounds like the perfect venue to me... 2 miles from the law school, 16 draft beers, 62 bottled, 26 scotches, 9 Irish whiskeys, and 8 small-batch bourbons, a selection of wines? I'll take one of each please... :lol:

So... who's in? (Depending on turn-out, I may do a pre-game at my place if anyones interested).
Count me in.

GoldenYeti

New

Post by GoldenYeti » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 am

How about Sections? They've released the book list for 1L at http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/stoc ... oklist.pdf

But do you know which section you're in?

gatorfan787

New

Post by gatorfan787 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:36 pm

GoldenYeti wrote:How about Sections? They've released the book list for 1L at http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/stoc ... oklist.pdf

Dean Katz said in the Facebook group that section announcements are going to be made August 17th. It's all just a ploy so we have to pay top dollar for books... they're "bringing the bookstore to us" that day apparently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

throughthewetgrass

New

Post by throughthewetgrass » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:06 pm

This whole bookstore to you idea on the 17th is pretty ill-conceived if most of you like me don't get money disbursed until the 18th

funkblaster

New

Post by funkblaster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:19 pm

areinke wrote:
gatorfan787 wrote:Alright, those of you who are already in town, I think we need to get the first official ELS'12 booze-fest underway this FRIDAY the 7TH. Say 10PM??

Count me in.
I'm there.

funkblaster

New

Post by funkblaster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 pm

gatorfan787 wrote:
GoldenYeti wrote:How about Sections? They've released the book list for 1L at http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/stoc ... oklist.pdf

Dean Katz said in the Facebook group that section announcements are going to be made August 17th. It's all just a ploy so we have to pay top dollar for books... they're "bringing the bookstore to us" that day apparently.
I put a chart together to figure out which books are used by each section (Yes, I have too much free time on my hands, since I'm not working this summer.), and there are 5 items (required and recommended) that are used by everyone. I just ordered them, and it totals $465. That includes shipping, and I chose all new books. I'm not sure how that compares to bookstore prices, but it's really sobering. There are many more books, and I'm afraid they're all more expensive.

gatorfan787

New

Post by gatorfan787 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:11 pm

funkblaster wrote:
gatorfan787 wrote:
GoldenYeti wrote: I put a chart together to figure out which books are used by each section (Yes, I have too much free time on my hands, since I'm not working this summer.), and there are 5 items (required and recommended) that are used by everyone. I just ordered them, and it totals $465. That includes shipping, and I chose all new books. I'm not sure how that compares to bookstore prices, but it's really sobering. There are many more books, and I'm afraid they're all more expensive.
Dude, I'd love to get my hands on that chart or figure out what the common books are if you're feeling generous. I was actually going to go through the booklist myself tomorrow and try to figure it out...

Could you e-mail it to me? ssidhu@emory.edu.

Thanks.

By the way a couple people have messaged me on Facebook and are in for Friday so the counts goin up... I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and the brews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

funkblaster

New

Post by funkblaster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:17 pm

gatorfan787 wrote:
funkblaster wrote:
gatorfan787 wrote:
GoldenYeti wrote: I put a chart together to figure out which books are used by each section (Yes, I have too much free time on my hands, since I'm not working this summer.), and there are 5 items (required and recommended) that are used by everyone. I just ordered them, and it totals $465. That includes shipping, and I chose all new books. I'm not sure how that compares to bookstore prices, but it's really sobering. There are many more books, and I'm afraid they're all more expensive.
Dude, I'd love to get my hands on that chart or figure out what the common books are if you're feeling generous. I was actually going to go through the booklist myself tomorrow and try to figure it out...

Could you e-mail it to me? ssidhu@emory.edu.

Thanks.

By the way a couple people have messaged me on Facebook and are in for Friday so the counts goin up... I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and the brews.

Freer, Richard & Perdue, Wendy. Civil Procedure: Cases, Materials and Questions. LexisNexis (5th ed,2005); ISBN: 9781422407103 [REQUIRED].

Freer, Richard. Introduction to Civil Procedure. Aspen (2nd ed., 2009); ISBN: 9780735578302

-
Garner, Bryan. The Redbook: A Manual on Legal Style. Thomson West (2nd ed., 2006); ISBN:

9780314168917 [RECOMMENDED FOR ALL SECTIONS]

-
Garner’s Black Law Dictionary. (9th ed., 2009). ISBN: 9780314199492 [RECOMMENDED FOR ALL

SECTIONS]

The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation. The Harvard Law Review Association (18th ed., 2005)

ISBN: 9789998255289[REQUIRED FOR ALL]

I couldn't get your email to work, and I thought some other people might get some use out of it.

scBlueDevil

New

Post by scBlueDevil » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:33 pm

throughthewetgrass wrote:This whole bookstore to you idea on the 17th is pretty ill-conceived if most of you like me don't get money disbursed until the 18th
Exactly. You should call them and pass on this token of logic.

And FYI... I ordered a used copy of Freer's casebook from barristerbooks.com, and way more than 25% of the pages have underlining and notes completely taking up the margins. They've agreed to give me a full refund, but that will take time. All of the other used stuff I ordered--Blue Book, Red Book, E&E, etc--from half.com and amazon are in great condition. I might just fork out the extra money for new casebooks b/c I get distracted easily.

Anybody else going for the electronic legal dictionary? Will I ever actually need a hard copy of the unabridged legal dictionary?

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 pm

throughthewetgrass wrote:This whole bookstore to you idea on the 17th is pretty ill-conceived if most of you like me don't get money disbursed until the 18th

you took the words out of my mouth.

gatorfan787

New

Post by gatorfan787 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:27 pm

funkblaster wrote:

I couldn't get your email to work, and I thought some other people might get some use out of it.
That's not good :P. Thanks for posting it man, saves me some time and hopefully all of us some $$$.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sintona

New

Post by sintona » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

I realize this is ridiculously late, but are there any people still searching for roomates?

gatorfan787

New

Post by gatorfan787 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Hey y'all, as I posted on Facebook if anyone does wanna meet early, they can come park and pre-game at my place anytime after 8:30, I'll have a selection of beer, wine, and liquor on hand. I live on N Decatur across from the law school so its on the way for people coming from CC Briarcliff, Highland square, gables rock springs, etc. Call me tomorrow at 352.870.5387 if you plan to.

Otherwise, just look for the coolest crowd at the pub... the ones discussing torts and the rule against perpetuity. :lol:

MHP

New

Post by MHP » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:01 am

areinke wrote:

Count me in.

Hmmm. I do love the Brick Store. I might be there.

The Brick Store Pub, like many restaurants and bars, hosts a rotating gallery of art on the walls. Currently showcased: MHP's dad! I doubt it's his real controversial stuff, but check it out. I haven't seen what's on display yet, but it's likely something in the vein of psychadelic cartoons...

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:26 pm

scBlueDevil wrote:
Anybody else going for the electronic legal dictionary? Will I ever actually need a hard copy of the unabridged legal dictionary?

i hear Black's is available online through Westlaw or Lexis (forget which one, but we'll have access to both so i guess we'll find out soon enough)

Also, the company that publishes Black's offers a "digital package" of some sort, but i read the reviews on Amazon and nearly everybody says its a waste of money--u basically get a box with a slip of paper that has a number printed on it, and then u go online to download the program, which only runs when you're online or something..? I dont understand it fully, but it seems overly complicated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”