Emory Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lawhopeful09

New

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Post by lawhopeful09 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Have any of you guys looked at Gables Montclaire? I have a friend that goes to Emory undergrad and she says it's only $550 per month, including utilities.

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:22 am

Hey all, decided tonight that I will submit my deposit for Emory... unless I get into USC I will be in ATL this fall

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:55 am

h_frog_88 wrote:Hey all, decided tonight that I will submit my deposit for Emory... unless I get into USC I will be in ATL this fall

Nice, Congrats. So you checked the "I'm on a WL at a school I'd rather attended box" as well, huh?

That was....awkward...

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:10 am

I can sign in to OPUS! Awesome! but when I click emory financial aid it tells me that "inquiry request denied. I mean, they just emailed me last night saying they got all my financial aid stuff...

How long should I expect this to take?

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:28 pm

dantimreynolds wrote:I can sign in to OPUS! Awesome! but when I click emory financial aid it tells me that "inquiry request denied. I mean, they just emailed me last night saying they got all my financial aid stuff...

It just means they haven't got to your file yet. As long as you have submitted your FASFA and the college board profile you should get it soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:56 pm

lawhopeful09 wrote:Have any of you guys looked at Gables Montclaire? I have a friend that goes to Emory undergrad and she says it's only $550 per month, including utilities.
http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/floo ... unityId=33

i don't recall it ever being that cheap (and apartments generally don't include utilities). looks like the cheapest floorplan is $877 not including utilities (and that's with sharing the apt with 2 others)

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:35 pm

dantimreynolds wrote:I can sign in to OPUS! Awesome! but when I click emory financial aid it tells me that "inquiry request denied. I mean, they just emailed me last night saying they got all my financial aid stuff...

It took quite awhile (> month) for my fin aid section to populate with anything other than inquiry request denied.

Also, as a matter of course, if you are going to be visiting to find an apt or something let me suggest that you head over to the West Egg in Midtownish area for breakfast- absolutely one of the best meals of my life and not overpriced at all (coca cola cupcakes and fried green tomatoes ftw).

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:50 pm

h_frog_88 wrote:

It took quite awhile (> month) for my fin aid section to populate with anything other than inquiry request denied.

Also, as a matter of course, if you are going to be visiting to find an apt or something let me suggest that you head over to the West Egg in Midtownish area for breakfast- absolutely one of the best meals of my life and not overpriced at all (coca cola cupcakes and fried green tomatoes ftw).

I leave next thursday to visit on friday. I'll remember this. BTW you outed yourself on facebook by linking the Emory 2012 group to this page...the only guy on there from TCU.

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:53 pm

dantimreynolds wrote:
h_frog_88 wrote:

I leave next thursday to visit on friday. I'll remember this. BTW you outed yourself on facebook by linking the Emory 2012 group to this page...the only guy on there from TCU.
Ya I figured I would, I'm not to worried. There are a lot of UMich kids going to ELS next year...weird. As for the West Egg, its the best of southern breakfast and if you want any other suggestions I was just in the area a couple of weeks ago so I think I got a reasonable handle on some good places to go. Have fun visiting

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Seat deposit in, lease signed. Guess its official.

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:58 pm

gobucks101 wrote:Seat deposit in, lease signed. Guess its official.
Where are you leasing, what neighborhood?

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:01 pm

I am at campus crossing with two random roommates, one who weirdly is from my Columbus too.

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:18 pm

gobucks101 wrote:I am at campus crossing with two random roommates, one who weirdly is from my Columbus too.
small world... ya, that seems to be the desired location around this site

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emory999

New

Post by Emory999 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Rising 2L that can offer a little apartment info (like where not to live *cough* Gables Sheridan *cough*)

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Emory999 wrote:Rising 2L that can offer a little apartment info (like where not to live *cough* Gables Sheridan *cough*)
Do people rent apts/condos/houses out in VA Highlands, Inman Gardens, Little Five Points? Where would you suggest?

cheshirecat

New

Post by cheshirecat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:07 pm

I am joining the class of 2012 and I currently live in Inman Park. I love it and plan to keep living here. It isn't too far from the law school but traffic can be unpleasant.

Emory999

New

Post by Emory999 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:08 pm

h_frog_88 wrote:
Emory999 wrote:Rising 2L that can offer a little apartment info (like where not to live *cough* Gables Sheridan *cough*)
Do people rent apts/condos/houses out in VA Highlands, Inman Gardens, Little Five Points? Where would you suggest?

Are you asking if they are available, or are you asking if a lot of people live in those parts of town?

A lot of people live in apartments on Briarcliff Rd between North Decatur & La Vista (Gables Rock SPrings, Highland Square, Post Briarcliff, etc.), the Claremont Road area (Highland Lake, Gables Montclair, etc.), or areas in Decatur that are close to Gambrell Hall.

People tend to move out into Inman, VAHI, and LFP 2L/3L year it seems. Being close to school is important your 1L year because you are there so much.

The money place to live is the condominium across from the law school. Sometimes owners will rent them out. Some people bought condos there when they moved down as well. You are probably 30-40 steps to the law school.

Also, look into homeowner's that rent guest houses, basements, or attics to students. They cost very little, and they are usually very close to school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 pm

cheshirecat wrote:I am joining the class of 2012 and I currently live in Inman Park. I love it and plan to keep living here. It isn't too far from the law school but traffic can be unpleasant.
Ya when I visited I really liked this area...
Emory999 wrote:
h_frog_88 wrote:

Are you asking if they are available, or are you asking if a lot of people live in those parts of town?

A lot of people live in apartments on Briarcliff Rd between North Decatur & La Vista (Gables Rock SPrings, Highland Square, Post Briarcliff, etc.), the Claremont Road area (Highland Lake, Gables Montclair, etc.), or areas in Decatur that are close to Gambrell Hall.

People tend to move out into Inman, VAHI, and LFP 2L/3L year it seems. Being close to school is important your 1L year because you are there so much.

The money place to live is the condominium across from the law school. Sometimes owners will rent them out. Some people bought condos there when they moved down as well. You are probably 30-40 steps to the law school.

Also, look into homeowner's that rent guest houses, basements, or attics to students. They cost very little, and they are usually very close to school.
I was asking if people actually live that far moreso than availability. Also in your opinion will I be shooting myself in the foot if I wait until June/July to sign a lease (waiting on USC)?

Emory999

New

Post by Emory999 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:14 pm

h_frog_88 wrote:
cheshirecat wrote:I am joining the class of 2012 and I currently live in Inman Park. I love it and plan to keep living here. It isn't too far from the law school but traffic can be unpleasant.
Ya when I visited I really liked this area...
Emory999 wrote:
h_frog_88 wrote:

I was asking if people actually live that far moreso than availability. Also in your opinion will I be shooting myself in the foot if I wait until June/July to sign a lease (waiting on USC)?
Not a lot of people live that far out (as in Innman, 5 Pts, or Midtown). But people do live in parts of VAHI (at least moreso than the other three mentioned neighborhoods.

Probably not, a fair amount of people waited until late June/early July this year. It also seems like a lot of the apartment complexes currently have vacancies (*Disclaimer*whether this will continue into summer is unknown).

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Emory999 wrote:
Probably not, a fair amount of people waited until late June/early July this year. It also seems like a lot of the apartment complexes currently have vacancies (*Disclaimer*whether this will continue into summer is unknown).
On a completely different note, what is your take on the school as a 2L? Social life? Peers? Faculty? etc...

Emory999

New

Post by Emory999 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:34 pm

h_frog_88 wrote:
Emory999 wrote:
On a completely different note, what is your take on the school as a 2L? Social life? Peers? Faculty? etc...

Social Life:

Very fun. Definitely get here by first week of August at latest. Lots of fun happens before orientation.
During school year, the SBA hosts bar reviews which get us specials at certain bars. They are the place to go every weekend until about late October. The last big event before we buckle down is Harvest Moon Ball. It is a drunken Halloween party at an upscale hotel. This past year it was at the Westin Peachtree.

In the spring, pretty much the same, but we have a big event called Barrister's Ball. It's all you can drink, and you have to get dressed up. The total bill usually runs $20k-30k...but we don't pay a dime:)

Peers:
It's the smartest group of people I've ever been around in one setting. However, there isn't a competitive feel to the school. People help out a lot, and if you get a good 2L/3L mentor or join a group, you can get lots of great information on how to do well. I'm not saying they're perfect, but they're pretty damn good (there's about 5-6% that are very competitive.

Faculty:
Great, a lot of the professor's have written the books they teach. Always very friendly & every one of them has an open door policy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emory999

New

Post by Emory999 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot two things. Yesterday, Dean Partlett gave his state of the law school speech.

1.) The great scholarships are going to continue despite the downturn in the economy.

2.) Emory Law is the most diverse law school in the Top 25 (for those that are interested)

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Tomorrow is the big day... anyone else joining our ranks?

chicag-fro

New

Post by chicag-fro » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:52 pm

If anyone is interested in sharing a 2br at campus crossing briarcliff pm me

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:58 pm

can you pay the deposit through OPUS? i was planning on sending it snail mail, but i'd feel better if it could be done online.... and i tried calling the admissions office, nobody picked up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”