UCLA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
jrh
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby jrh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:44 pm

waldodanto wrote:I'm moving in on the first of August, and I'm in one of the two person townhouses. It's so soon!


i'm moving in on august 1st too--i have a studio. it is so soon! eeekk!

has anyone else noticed weyburn's community supported agricultural program:
--LinkRemoved--

i'm super excited about this.

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Ok, just submitted the housing application! Hopefully I'll get a room in Weyburn (otherwise I'll have to call Admissions...).

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:24 pm

jrh wrote:
waldodanto wrote:I'm moving in on the first of August, and I'm in one of the two person townhouses. It's so soon!


i'm moving in on august 1st too--i have a studio. it is so soon! eeekk!

has anyone else noticed weyburn's community supported agricultural program:
--LinkRemoved--

i'm super excited about this.

Are you guys coming from out of state??

User avatar
i.v.
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby i.v. » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:34 pm

What was the turn around time between submitting your housing app and getting a spot? jrh, was a studio your first choice at Weyburn or was it down the list?

User avatar
jrh
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby jrh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 pm

ecclaw- i'm coming from in-state, about three hours away. it should be a pretty easy move (thank goodness!). if i were coming from out-of-state i would probably have picked an earlier move-in date to allow myself plenty of time to become acquainted with the LA area (still a scary prospect for someone from California).

i.v.- a studio was my first choice--i don't want to risk experiencing major roommate drama during my first year. it took around two weeks to hear back after submitting my housing application. i did contact dean schwartz, however, to get onto the guaranteed housing list. i'm not sure if this made a difference in turnaround time.

mikewilliams
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:28 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby mikewilliams » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:57 pm

jrh wrote:ecclaw- i'm coming from in-state, about three hours away. it should be a pretty easy move (thank goodness!). if i were coming from out-of-state i would probably have picked an earlier move-in date to allow myself plenty of time to become acquainted with the LA area (still a scary prospect for someone from California).


Even though I haven't heard back yet from housing, I chose august 15 b/c i'll be out of the country until the 5th. Will the 15th be too late??? Other than situating the apartment/studio, what is there to do before orientation? I'll be coming from out of state and probably without a car.

User avatar
waldodanto
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby waldodanto » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:06 pm

I submitted my housing app a while back, and also emailed Karmon about getting on the guaranteed housing list. Heard back within 2 weeks.

There's probably nothing to DO, per se, for those 2 weeks before school starts, but I personally plan on spending most of that time enjoying the last days of freedom from law school worries. I'm thinking at least one trip each to: Venice, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Little Tokyo, Hollywood Farmer's Market... some nights out or something... I dunno, there are worse places to spend 2 weeks. Who is with me?

User avatar
jrh
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby jrh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:07 pm

mikewilliams wrote:Even though I haven't heard back yet from housing, I chose august 15 b/c i'll be out of the country until the 5th. Will the 15th be too late??? Other than situating the apartment/studio, what is there to do before orientation? I'll be coming from out of state and probably without a car.


My main concern would just be getting all the basics and little things in order before the semester begins. Personally, I want to know where the grocery store is, figure out public transit basics just in case i have bike problems, meet my neighbors, get to know the campus...Basically, start to feel at home before school starts so I'm not "settling in" as I'm freaking out about my classes and coming up with a study routine. I'm sure moving in on the 15th is doable. For me, that would equal a lot of stress, but I can be known to be high-stress anyway.

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:16 pm

mikewilliams wrote:
jrh wrote:ecclaw- i'm coming from in-state, about three hours away. it should be a pretty easy move (thank goodness!). if i were coming from out-of-state i would probably have picked an earlier move-in date to allow myself plenty of time to become acquainted with the LA area (still a scary prospect for someone from California).


Even though I haven't heard back yet from housing, I chose august 15 b/c i'll be out of the country until the 5th. Will the 15th be too late??? Other than situating the apartment/studio, what is there to do before orientation? I'll be coming from out of state and probably without a car.

Hey, another out of stater, yay! I chose August 1 because I figured it was safer to get there as early as possible so I could file for residency for 2L. I considered July 15, but it's not feasible with my work schedule. I'm hoping that two weeks will be enough time to get somewhat acclimated. :)

mikewilliams
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:28 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby mikewilliams » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:21 pm

[quote/]I chose August 1 because I figured it was safer to get there as early as possible so I could file for residency for 2L.[/quote]

Is there a specific date we have to be there by to be considered in-state for next year? I assumed one year before school starts...perhaps earlier?

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 pm

mikewilliams wrote:[quote/]I chose August 1 because I figured it was safer to get there as early as possible so I could file for residency for 2L.


Is there a specific date we have to be there by to be considered in-state for next year? I assumed one year before school starts...perhaps earlier?[/quote]
I had the exact same question. Even after researching online I was still slightly confused, so I just decided to go with better safe than sorry, haha. :) Plus, I wanted a little time to get to know LA, hang out, go to the beach, etc. But you'd probably be fine for residency with a move-in date of August 15. Maybe call the Registrar just to check?

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 pm

waldodanto wrote:I submitted my housing app a while back, and also emailed Karmon about getting on the guaranteed housing list. Heard back within 2 weeks.

There's probably nothing to DO, per se, for those 2 weeks before school starts, but I personally plan on spending most of that time enjoying the last days of freedom from law school worries. I'm thinking at least one trip each to: Venice, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Little Tokyo, Hollywood Farmer's Market... some nights out or something... I dunno, there are worse places to spend 2 weeks. Who is with me?

I'm totally with you.

ecclaw07
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:51 pm

FYI, Karman Hsu is out of the office until August on maternity leave. :) Just got an automated reply message from her when I emailed about housing.

Edit: (By the way, I feel like a dork having the last three posts, haha...) Email back from Dean Schwartz that I was added to guaranteed housing list. :)

palmstar
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:23 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby palmstar » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm

As far as residency goes, they tell everyone that you need to have your

1) Driver's license in CA (if you aren't from here you have to take the written test again)
2) Car Registration in CA
3) Bank account opened in CA
4) Voter Registration in CA

by September 1st.

If you have time to do these things before schools starts I would recommend it.

It was a really big hassle to try to work in trips to the DMV while simultaneously starting classes and trying to get adjusted to school.

beeeker
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby beeeker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone is starting to look at laptop options for school...ucla pretty much seems to rec. pc but I am tire of them!

Is anyone considering a mac and going through all of the bootcamp software addition stuff? Is it worth it?

Thanks...go class of 2012!

seyhey0
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby seyhey0 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 pm

As far as residency goes - I'm a current 1L from out of state - they had a meeting with us about it - they said they aren't incredibly strict. So if you have, lets say, license and car reg done by Sept. 1st, but didnt register to vote till October or November, that shouldnt be a problem. Or if you have the other stuff done and didnt change your license till October or something. They weigh all the evidence collectively, they're not marking things off a checklist. At least thats what they told us.

thruruby
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby thruruby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:20 pm

beeeker wrote:Is anyone considering a mac and going through all of the bootcamp software addition stuff? Is it worth it?


I am def doing this. (I had PCs all through middle-high school and macs all through UG and I just had such a better experience with macs. No random crashes, no annoying freezes. Never lost any docs or ever really had any "compatibility" problems at all.) Bootcamp comes free with all the new macs now and I'm sure if you've been a longtime PC user that you have a copy of windows lying around somewhere that you can install.

The IT guy at UCLA also said that you can bring in your laptop at the beginning of the year and they can get it ExamSoft ready for you.

ecclaw07 wrote:What move-in date are you guys all putting???

June 15th for me! If anyone else is moving in this early we should meet up fo' sho'.

i.v. wrote:What was the turn around time between submitting your housing app and getting a spot? jrh, was a studio your first choice at Weyburn or was it down the list?

I submitted my housing app in mid march and just got my offer 2 days ago. Studio was my first choice and I got one! I also called the admissions office and got added to the guaranteed list, which I would definitely recommend everyone do. I feel like it would kinda suck to end up far away near U-Village or something.

User avatar
theuserdylan
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby theuserdylan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Hmmm I e-mailed the admission office directly about housing on Saturday but haven't heard back yet. Maybe I should have called or e-mailed Dean Schwartz directly? I guess I should wait a few days, but I don't want all spots to disappear.

I also picked the August 1st move in date. Guess it's a popular choice. Anyone else doing a long trip across the country? Google Maps says my drive is 23 hours and 58 minutes. And I was worried it was going to take a full day. :roll:

I think Macs are a great choice for law school. All you need is a copy of Windows, which you should be able to find for under $100. If you buy directly from UCLA's computer store you can get even cheaper discounts than from Apple's Education website. However, starting around June Apple usually offers a free iPod after rebate with the purchase of any computer, so I would wait around for that deal.

thruruby
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby thruruby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 pm

theuserdylan wrote:Hmmm I e-mailed the admission office directly about housing on Saturday but haven't heard back yet. Maybe I should have called or e-mailed Dean Schwartz directly? I guess I should wait a few days, but I don't want all spots to disappear.


You can talk to anyone in the admissions office about adding you to the list. I would recommend you do it asap because I know around 40 people were added to the list at the ASD so there can't be very many spots left!

beeeker
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby beeeker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 pm

after reading all of the posts about this "garunteed housing list" i emailed Dean Schwartz today...he usually gets back to me really quickly so hopefully i will hear something about it tomorrow....

i noticed someone asked about grocery stores near the housing...if any of you are fans of trader joes like I am then you will love to hear that there is a brand new trader joes within walking distance from weyburn...yay!

User avatar
waldodanto
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby waldodanto » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:44 pm

What's the deal with macs? I'd rather not buy a PC laptop... is it exams that don't work or something on macs? What's the fix?

thruruby
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby thruruby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:50 pm

waldodanto wrote:What's the deal with macs? I'd rather not buy a PC laptop... is it exams that don't work or something on macs? What's the fix?


The exam program UCLA uses "ExamSoft" only makes a PC version. BUT, Apple now has the bootcamp program for free on every mac, so all you'd have to do is switch on bootcamp, install Windows, then install ExamSoft. During finals, you'd just switch on bootcamp to use ExamSoft.

Should be totally fine. I asked about it and the IT guys said they've done this successfully on a lot of students' laptops. Apparently there is a larger and larger influx of macs coming into the law schools so they are actively working to become as mac friendly as possible.

I myself will be bringing a spankin' new Macbook.

thruruby
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby thruruby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:58 pm

A facebook group has finally been made!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70417144022

Join up! :)

User avatar
mtndew16
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby mtndew16 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:50 am

Sent in my deposit and housing app today!! So stoked :D

beeeker
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby beeeker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:41 pm

ok so some bad news...I applied for housing like 2 weeks ago and yesterday i emailed schwartz about getting on the law school list for weyburn and he told me that it was filled and there was a waitlist already in place....

then i called housing directly and they told me that if i were to be able to get in at weyburn i wouldnt know until early august after they find out which offers are not accepted...the lottery would be used then for those on the waitlist...the girl on the phone then told me that me getting in at all was pretty unlikely...hmmmm...bummer.

how can they completely fill housing before the seat deposit is actually due? makes me wonder why i paid the #30 application fee...

so anyone looking for a roommate?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest