UCLA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mikewilliams

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Postby mikewilliams » Wed May 13, 2009 1:45 pm

I am also worried b/c i didn't get a studio.

Anyone know with some confidence how many incoming law students live there? Also how much of social life is centered (starts, ends, etc..) around weyburn? The last thing I want to do is alienate myself by not living there.

ecclaw07

Postby ecclaw07 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:55 pm

mikewilliams wrote:I am also worried b/c i didn't get a studio.

Anyone know with some confidence how many incoming law students live there? Also how much of social life is centered (starts, ends, etc..) around weyburn? The last thing I want to do is alienate myself by not living there.

Hm. I read somewhere (can't remember now) that a lot of the social stuff goes on in Weyburn, which is one of the reasons I wanted to live there. I also kind of got worried after not getting a studio, especially after having some terrible undergrad roomies. But I figure that if we're all grad. students, it couldn't be that bad...right? Haha. I don't really have a choice about where to live because I'm all the way in Ohio and definitely will not have an opportunity to shop around for an apartment before classes start. So I'm going to make the best of my Weyburn townhouse! :)

mtndew16

Postby mtndew16 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:

Hm. I read somewhere (can't remember now) that a lot of the social stuff goes on in Weyburn, which is one of the reasons I wanted to live there. I also kind of got worried after not getting a studio, especially after having some terrible undergrad roomies. But I figure that if we're all grad. students, it couldn't be that bad...right? Haha. I don't really have a choice about where to live because I'm all the way in Ohio and definitely will not have an opportunity to shop around for an apartment before classes start. So I'm going to make the best of my Weyburn townhouse! :)

I figure a townhouse won't be too bad. I mean, yeah we'll have random apartment-mates, but we'll have our own rooms. Last year, I lived in a two bedroom(singles), two bathroom apartment and often went days without seeing my roommate. It worked out well, although I actually wish I could have seen my roommate a bit more! :D In the past I've also had really horrible housing experiences, ranging from living with 12 other people in a house to living in a studio by myself...I've just learned to make the best of things wherever I end up!

Oh, and I promise, if anyone gets put with me as a roommate, I'm totally normal :D

ecclaw07

Postby ecclaw07 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:32 pm

mtndew16 wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:

I figure a townhouse won't be too bad. I mean, yeah we'll have random apartment-mates, but we'll have our own rooms. Last year, I lived in a two bedroom(singles), two bathroom apartment and often went days without seeing my roommate. It worked out well, although I actually wish I could have seen my roommate a bit more! :D In the past I've also had really horrible housing experiences, ranging from living with 12 other people in a house to living in a studio by myself...I've just learned to make the best of things wherever I end up!

Oh, and I promise, if anyone gets put with me as a roommate, I'm totally normal :D

Haha. Yeah, I figure that with all the nice people I've met on this forum and in the Facebook group, that I'll most likely end up with someone who is probably pretty cool. Now to get my furniture up the stairs... :lol:

(12, wow, that's a lot...The most I ever lived with was 9, and that was crazy!)

ari20dal7

Postby ari20dal7 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm

The social life is not centered around Weyburn, although it obviously makes it a little easier to meet some students. I don't really do much of the social life, but most people hook up with friends at school or at the bar reviews.

If anybody needs help moving in, I'll be happy to tote couches and stuff if I'm around.

UandIaresplittsville

Postby UandIaresplittsville » Wed May 13, 2009 2:52 pm

What's up Ari, thanks for the other thread. You should be like our TLS sorority mom. See you in August.

thruruby

Postby thruruby » Wed May 13, 2009 3:26 pm

I believe the law school has 70 guaranteed spots at Weyburn. Other LS students end up in the housing lottery so they get divided out to the other university buildings and only a few more get Weyburn.

So, seriously, can anyone access that Move-In reservation page yet? It's driving me crazy.

mtndew16

Postby mtndew16 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:40 pm

thruruby wrote:

I believe the law school has 70 guaranteed spots at Weyburn. Other LS students end up in the housing lottery so they get divided out to the other university buildings and only a few more get Weyburn.

So, seriously, can anyone access that Move-In reservation page yet? It's driving me crazy.

haha I tried the Move-In reservation page link (just for fun), and it gave me some scary error message b/c I haven't paid my housing deposit/officially accepted the offer yet. Whoops!

beeeker

Postby beeeker » Wed May 13, 2009 4:13 pm

so i guess i did get my housing offer and its for one of the two bedroom apartments...but they offered be a furnished apartment which i didnt really want...i have plenty of furniture and now no where to put it!

my move in day is august 1 and i am super excited! i wonder how they will assign roommates? do you think they try to match law kids up with each other? i also wonder when we will even find out who are roommate is...

thruruby

Postby thruruby » Wed May 13, 2009 4:53 pm

You can find out who your room mate is by using the... Move-in Reservation page. :cry:

This has annoyed me to the point where I am actually going to get out of bed and make a phone call to the housing office. God, my life is hard.

Edit: So apparently the site isn't going to work for us until May 19th. sighz

Also, I found a page that takes you on virtual tours of Weyburn! Fun times.

http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site/UCL ... d76180RCRD

thruruby

Postby thruruby » Fri May 15, 2009 8:03 pm

I CAN ACCESS THE HOUSING SITE! JOY!

You should be able to see your new official Weyburn address now :)

mikewilliams

Postby mikewilliams » Fri May 15, 2009 8:24 pm

did you already accept the offer or should u be able to access it even without accepting?

mtndew16

Postby mtndew16 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:58 pm

thruruby wrote:I CAN ACCESS THE HOUSING SITE! JOY!

You should be able to see your new official Weyburn address now :)

ooo congrats on being able to access the site! I can't access it yet, but then again I still have to pay my initial deposit. I need to get on this..haha

Does it give you both the building name and apartment number?

ecclaw07

Postby ecclaw07 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:52 pm

Ohh exciting thruruby! Ok, so is the initial payment one month's rent + $10 for everyone?

BKS2120

Postby BKS2120 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:05 pm

I got an email the day after I filled out the housing application and put in the $30 dollar deposit that said I got off the waitlist and I'm now guaranteed housing...but when I try to access the move-in reservation system it says I DONT have housing. I'm confused.

Also, were any of you guys considering Georgetown Law?

mtndew16

Postby mtndew16 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:22 pm

BKS2120 wrote:I got an email the day after I filled out the housing application and put in the $30 dollar deposit that said I got off the waitlist and I'm now guaranteed housing...but when I try to access the move-in reservation system it says I DONT have housing. I'm confused.

You will get an e-mail once your housing offer has been made (telling you which kind of apartment you got i.e. studio, townhouse, 2BR apartment). Then after you pay your initial deposit, you will be able to access the move-in reservation system. fwiw, I got my initial offer via email (so I know for sure that I have housing) and when I try the reservation system, it also says I don't have housing. I'm pretty sure it says that because I haven't paid my deposit yet. I wouldn't worry about it!

And I personally did not apply to Georgetown (because I knew I would not attend if accepted), so it was never a consideration for me.

jrh

Postby jrh » Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:Ohh exciting thruruby! Ok, so is the initial payment one month's rent + $10 for everyone?

that's what mine is (for a studio). i'm paying it today, so exciting! hopefully i'll get to see my assignment too. i know its two months away but i really want to figure out what floorplan i have so i can plan my desk setup (oh, its so ridicously true)

beeeker

Postby beeeker » Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 pm

BKS2120 wrote:I got an email the day after I filled out the housing application and put in the $30 dollar deposit that said I got off the waitlist and I'm now guaranteed housing...but when I try to access the move-in reservation system it says I DONT have housing. I'm confused.

i already paid my initial deposit and accepted the offer too and it wont let me acces the move-in reservation page either... i will think i call on monday and ask if something got mixed up....

i did apply to georgtown and went and visited and just didnt really like the feel of the school...ucla seems way more laid back and smaller...the entering class at gtown was over 600! isnt that like double our class at ucla?

thruruby

Postby thruruby » Sat May 16, 2009 9:23 pm

beeeker wrote:

i already paid my initial deposit and accepted the offer too and it wont let me acces the move-in reservation page either...

This is the same problem I kept running into. I had already paid the full deposit for move-in too! So who knows... The woman I talked to last week said most Weyburn residents can't see their Reservation Move-in info until after May 19th when all the deposits are supposed to be in.

mtndew16 wrote:Does it give you both the building name and apartment number?

Yup! It gives you the Weyburn building code (725 = Cypress Court, 740 = Aloe Court, etc. etc.) and your apartment number.

mtndew16

Postby mtndew16 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:30 pm

thruruby wrote: This is the same problem I kept running into. I had already paid the full deposit for move-in too! So who knows... The woman I talked to last week said most Weyburn residents can't see their Reservation Move-in info until after May 19th when all the deposits are supposed to be in.

I thought we had until June 1st to pay the deposit!! ahhhh did they change the deadline on us? :?

beeeker

Postby beeeker » Sat May 16, 2009 9:39 pm

thruruby wrote:
beeeker wrote:

i already paid my initial deposit and accepted the offer too and it wont let me acces the move-in reservation page either...

This is the same problem I kept running into. I had already paid the full deposit for move-in too! So who knows... The woman I talked to last week said most Weyburn residents can't see their Reservation Move-in info until after May 19th when all the deposits are supposed to be in.

mtndew16 wrote:Does it give you both the building name and apartment number?

Yup! It gives you the Weyburn building code (725 = Cypress Court, 740 = Aloe Court, etc. etc.) and your apartment number.

so what did you differently for it to work???? did it just randomly let you sign in finally?

thruruby

Postby thruruby » Sat May 16, 2009 9:42 pm

mtndew16 wrote:
thruruby wrote: This is the same problem I kept running into. I had already paid the full deposit for move-in too! So who knows... The woman I talked to last week said most Weyburn residents can't see their Reservation Move-in info until after May 19th when all the deposits are supposed to be in.

I thought we had until June 1st to pay the deposit!! ahhhh did they change the deadline on us? :?

uhhh :?
this is the email I got

"Dear Thruruby:

Please remember that the housing offer due date is 5:00 p.m. on 05/19/2009. If payment is not received by the due date, the housing offer will be cancelled along with the housing guarantee."

beeeker wrote:so what did you differently for it to work???? did it just randomly let you sign in finally?

It was indeed random. My move in date is June 15th, though, so that might be why they released my info earlier.

mtndew16

Postby mtndew16 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:40 pm

thruruby wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:

uhhh :?
this is the email I got

"Dear Thruruby:

Please remember that the housing offer due date is 5:00 p.m. on 05/19/2009. If payment is not received by the due date, the housing offer will be cancelled along with the housing guarantee."

beeeker wrote:so what did you differently for it to work???? did it just randomly let you sign in finally?

It was indeed random. My move in date is June 15th, though, so that might be why they released my info earlier.

ohh this is probably why your deposit due date was earlier. That makes sense!

ecclaw07

Postby ecclaw07 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:35 am

FWIW, mine indicated a deadline of June 1 also. :)

waldodanto

Postby waldodanto » Mon May 18, 2009 6:33 pm

I've been MIA from this thread for a bit. Anybody not living at weyburn? I decided to decline my offer and find housing elsewhere so I can save some money and live with a friend or two. Probably law school social suicide, but hopefully you'll all still socialize with people outside of weyburn :shock:

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”