UCLA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mtndew16

New

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Post by mtndew16 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:47 pm

beeeker wrote:ok so some bad news...I applied for housing like 2 weeks ago and yesterday i emailed schwartz about getting on the law school list for weyburn and he told me that it was filled and there was a waitlist already in place....

then i called housing directly and they told me that if i were to be able to get in at weyburn i wouldnt know until early august after they find out which offers are not accepted...the lottery would be used then for those on the waitlist...the girl on the phone then told me that me getting in at all was pretty unlikely...hmmmm...bummer.

how can they completely fill housing before the seat deposit is actually due? makes me wonder why i paid the #30 application fee...

so anyone looking for a roommate?
If you really want Weyburn, I say get on the law school housing waitlist. Chances are, a number of people who put their name on that list will choose not to attend UCLA or decide they want to live elsewhere. Was the lady in housing talking about the regular Weyburn waitlist or the law school one? I have a feeling that the law school Weyburn waitlist will start to move well before August.

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 pm

If you really want Weyburn, I say get on the law school housing waitlist. Chances are, a number of people who put their name on that list will choose not to attend UCLA or decide they want to live elsewhere. Was the lady in housing talking about the regular Weyburn waitlist or the law school one? I have a feeling that the law school Weyburn waitlist will start to move well before August.[/quote]

she was talking about the general housing waitlist...schwartz told me that the law school also had a waitlist and he said he would keep my request on file...he also said that they would know more details next week...i am assuming this is because they will see who actually sends in their seat deposits for the May 1st deadline...i really hope it works out though because i am going to be in europe all summer and completely unable to do any kind of housing search!

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:15 pm

I went ahead and e-mailed Robert Schwartz directly and asked to be placed on the wait list. He got back literally one minute later. Good response time!

Hopefully that wait list isn't too large. They indicated at ASW that the wait list usually clears pretty fast, but it wasn't clear if they were referring to the wait list at the law school or the overall housing lottery. Flying out to L.A. to search for housing this summer isn't really something I'm really looking forward to, nor within my budget, so hopefully I'll manage to get in somehow.

Some students got guaranteed housing as part of their admissions package, so I assume that they have to hold those spots until May 1st. Maybe the law school wait list will start to move after that date.
Last edited by theuserdylan on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:20 pm

theuserdylan wrote:I went ahead and e-mailed Robert Schwartz directly and asked to be placed on the wait list. He got back literally one minute later. Good response time!

Hopefully that wait list isn't too large. They indicated at ASW that the wait list usually clears pretty fast, but it wasn't clear if they were referring to the wait list at the law school or the overall housing lottery. Flying out to L.A. to search for housing this summer isn't really something I'm really looking forward to, nor within my budget, so hopefully I'll manage to get in somehow.
I'm really surprised that in the time between the email I sent yesterday at 2:50 PM and now, there is a waitlist for housing. Wow!

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:25 pm

theuserdylan wrote:I'm really surprised that in the time between the email I sent yesterday at 2:50 PM and now, there is a waitlist for housing. Wow!
Hmm, well maybe that means the wait list isn't too long. But you're making me really regret e-mailing the admissions office, instead of Dean Schwartz directly, since I e-mailed them on Saturday and they never got back to me. There probably wasn't a waiting list on Saturday. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:35 pm

theuserdylan wrote:
theuserdylan wrote:I'm really surprised that in the time between the email I sent yesterday at 2:50 PM and now, there is a waitlist for housing. Wow!
Hmm, well maybe that means the wait list isn't too long. But you're making me really regret e-mailing the admissions office, instead of Dean Schwartz directly, since I e-mailed them on Saturday and they never got back to me. There probably wasn't a waiting list on Saturday. :roll:
Yeah, the only reason I emailed Dean Schwartz is because someone at the ASD told me to. Did you tell them you were coming from out of state and wouldn't be able to visit over the summer to find a place? I made that really clear in my email, and I'm pretty sure it helps your cause. :)

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:08 pm

mtndew16 wrote:
beeeker wrote:ok so some bad news...I applied for housing like 2 weeks ago and yesterday i emailed schwartz about getting on the law school list for weyburn and he told me that it was filled and there was a waitlist already in place....

then i called housing directly and they told me that if i were to be able to get in at weyburn i wouldnt know until early august after they find out which offers are not accepted...the lottery would be used then for those on the waitlist...the girl on the phone then told me that me getting in at all was pretty unlikely...hmmmm...bummer.

how can they completely fill housing before the seat deposit is actually due? makes me wonder why i paid the #30 application fee...

so anyone looking for a roommate?
If you really want Weyburn, I say get on the law school housing waitlist. Chances are, a number of people who put their name on that list will choose not to attend UCLA or decide they want to live elsewhere. Was the lady in housing talking about the regular Weyburn waitlist or the law school one? I have a feeling that the law school Weyburn waitlist will start to move well before August.

So I guess my temporary freak out was completely unecessary because today I got an email from the law school saying I was off the waitlist for housing and now was guaranteed for Weyburn .... so the waitlist is probably pretty short and I bet there will be a ton of more openings after the May 1st deadline...YAY!

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:10 pm

Glad it worked out, beeeker! I'm so anxious to get my housing assignment, ahhh!

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:Glad it worked out, beeeker! I'm so anxious to get my housing assignment, ahhh!
+1!!

When do you think we'll get our housing assignments? (I think we both applied around the same time) I'm excited!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:21 pm

mtndew16 wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:Glad it worked out, beeeker! I'm so anxious to get my housing assignment, ahhh!
+1!!

When do you think we'll get our housing assignments? (I think we both applied around the same time) I'm excited!!
Others were saying it took about 2 weeks, but I'm hoping that since it's a little later in the game and the housing deposit is due May 19, we find out more quickly! :)

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Congrats Beeker. The fact that you moved off the wait list so quickly gives me hope. Who knows maybe it was just me and you? Hopefully I'm next. You got placed on the wait list on Monday, right? There can't be too many people between us.

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 pm

theuserdylan wrote:Congrats Beeker. The fact that you moved off the wait list so quickly gives me hope. Who knows maybe it was just me and you? Hopefully I'm next. You got placed on the wait list on Monday, right? There can't be too many people between us.

Thanks!!! I am sure that you'll get off of it too, esp. by next week...I got put on it on Tues and then heard back today...I bet you'll hear really soon.
mtndew16 wrote:
+1!!

I think we will get our housing offers mid-may...thats the time the general housing site refers to...

Squints

New

Post by Squints » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:14 am

thruruby wrote:A facebook group has finally been made!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70417144022

Join up! :)
nicely done.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oteezy03

New

Post by oteezy03 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Just sent in my deposit.

A Colorado boy comin' out west :wink:

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Anybody have some insight on parking at weyburn? It seems like the parking apps aren't available yet (even though the stated date for them to open was today, I believe), and I'm wondering if I should accept the offer before I have a parking app on file.

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:10 pm

waldodanto wrote:Anybody have some insight on parking at weyburn? It seems like the parking apps aren't available yet (even though the stated date for them to open was today, I believe), and I'm wondering if I should accept the offer before I have a parking app on file.
Where did you find the parking app for Weyburn? I read somewhere that you apply the day you move in, but that makes absolutely no sense!

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Fri May 01, 2009 10:36 pm

mtndew16 wrote:
waldodanto wrote:Anybody have some insight on parking at weyburn? It seems like the parking apps aren't available yet (even though the stated date for them to open was today, I believe), and I'm wondering if I should accept the offer before I have a parking app on file.
Where did you find the parking app for Weyburn? I read somewhere that you apply the day you move in, but that makes absolutely no sense!
This is what is on the housing web about it...i think you checked a box on your housing application about parking though...

http://uclahousing.custhelp.com/cgi-bin ... _topview=1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Sat May 02, 2009 2:29 am

beeeker wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:
This is what is on the housing web about it...i think you checked a box on your housing application about parking though...

http://uclahousing.custhelp.com/cgi-bin ... _topview=1
When I spoke to the Weyburn office, they said that you were supposed to check a "need parking" box on the housing application mainly as a way to let them know what the demand for spots would be like. You can't actually apply for parking until the day you move in though. It's pretty much first-come-first-serve. :?

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Sun May 03, 2009 12:26 am

thruruby wrote:
When I spoke to the Weyburn office, they said that you were supposed to check a "need parking" box on the housing application mainly as a way to let them know what the demand for spots would be like. You can't actually apply for parking until the day you move in though. It's pretty much first-come-first-serve. :?
Damn that is just a crazy dumb policy.

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Tue May 05, 2009 1:49 pm

it's been quiet... has nobody really joined our ranks lately during this critical period?

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Tue May 05, 2009 2:00 pm

yes too quiet.... hey is anyone planning on getting a one of those student ticket packages for the home football games??? i know we will al be busy with school and stuff but i would like to go to the games if i could...i dont know if a lot of the law/grad school people go to that stuff...the bruins kinda suck football wise but the packages for the whole home season for students is only like 50 bucks... anyone interested?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:09 pm

beeeker wrote:yes too quiet.... hey is anyone planning on getting a one of those student ticket packages for the home football games??? i know we will al be busy with school and stuff but i would like to go to the games if i could...i dont know if a lot of the law/grad school people go to that stuff...the bruins kinda suck football wise but the packages for the whole home season for students is only like 50 bucks... anyone interested?
It has been really quiet in here lately! There have been people trickling into the facebook group though. :D
As for the student ticket packages, I have definitely been considering getting one. The bruins might not be the best at football, but I don't really care! I just want to be able to go to some games...my undergrad didn't have a football team:/

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Tue May 05, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm gonna try to go to as many games as possible. maybe this is optimistic, but hopefully taking a few hours to watch football every saturday isn't gonna relegate me to the bottom of the class, right?? :)

Squints

New

Post by Squints » Wed May 06, 2009 3:16 pm

beeeker wrote:yes too quiet.... hey is anyone planning on getting a one of those student ticket packages for the home football games??? i know we will al be busy with school and stuff but i would like to go to the games if i could...i dont know if a lot of the law/grad school people go to that stuff...the bruins kinda suck football wise but the packages for the whole home season for students is only like 50 bucks... anyone interested?
I've had non-student season tix to football and basketball since I graduated from undergrad. Basketball is a lot more fun, but the Rose Bowl's a good time too. Get the tickets.

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Sat May 09, 2009 2:06 am

It's time to get this thread going again!

So, has anyone else received a grad housing offer yet? (Incidentally, have you been able to log into the UCLA move-in reservation system? For I am having troubles :()

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”