UCLA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mtndew16

New

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Post by mtndew16 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
Can anyone w/ a June 1 deadline access the move-in reservation page yet??
I have a June 1 deadline and can't access the reservation page yet :? Maybe tomorrow?

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:44 pm

mtndew16 wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:
I have a June 1 deadline and can't access the reservation page yet :? Maybe tomorrow?

i called on that too and they said that for those of us who arent moving in until august 1st our move in reservation pages may not be available until mid July

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:01 pm

beeeker wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:

i called on that too and they said that for those of us who arent moving in until august 1st our move in reservation pages may not be available until mid July
Haha, thanks x2 beeeker! :)

ladyshoes

New

Post by ladyshoes » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:53 pm

thruruby wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=71565

omgah, that thread makes me weep. :'(

Does anyone have any concrete plans/strategies to try and land a 1L summer paid internship?
If you want to land a 1L paid summer internship, your best strategy would be to finish in the top 1% of the class or try the "bat your pretty eyelashes" approach (as seen in your avatar) with every hiring partner you happen to get face time with. None of us should count on landing one and if you do, consider it tantamount to winning the lottery. As I understand it, 1L paid internships have never been very available and not getting one is nothing to be depressed about. I'll probably go back to slingin' pizzas to save up a few bucks; hustling tables as a waitress or whatever can put some money in your pocket as well. That thread sucked and was one of the first ones I read when I found this site. It reminded me of why I've generally abstained from online socializing (there are no repercussions for being a shithead e.g. a punch in the mouth). I'm still completely stoked to be going to UCLA because I want a CAREER in a legal profession, and all of us are more or less guaranteed of one of those. If you recognize that we are in this for the long haul, I'd say there isn't much to be worried about.

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:14 pm

ladyshoes wrote:
thruruby wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=71565

omgah, that thread makes me weep. :'(

Does anyone have any concrete plans/strategies to try and land a 1L summer paid internship?
If you want to land a 1L paid summer internship, your best strategy would be to finish in the top 1% of the class or try the "bat your pretty eyelashes" approach (as seen in your avatar) with every hiring partner you happen to get face time with. None of us should count on landing one and if you do, consider it tantamount to winning the lottery. As I understand it, 1L paid internships have never been very available and not getting one is nothing to be depressed about. I'll probably go back to slingin' pizzas to save up a few bucks; hustling tables as a waitress or whatever can put some money in your pocket as well. That thread sucked and was one of the first ones I read when I found this site. It reminded me of why I've generally abstained from online socializing (there are no repercussions for being a shithead e.g. a punch in the mouth). I'm still completely stoked to be going to UCLA because I want a CAREER in a legal profession, and all of us are more or less guaranteed of one of those. If you recognize that we are in this for the long haul, I'd say there isn't much to be worried about.
Haha thanks for the perspective. It can get pretty depressing on these forums with the crazy T-14 or bust bullshit even when referring to California (...which is bizarre. Do people really think that Cornell is going to place better in LA than UCLA?)

And oh yes, I will be employing the 'bat my pretty eyelashes' strategy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikewilliams

New

Post by mikewilliams » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 pm

Is everyone doing their loans with one of the electronic lenders? or has someone found better rates and fees with another lender and is doing them the old fashion way through paper/checks?

I want to them electronically but I know some lenders don't have origination fees for Stafford loans along with other incentives.

lawschoolismoney

New

Post by lawschoolismoney » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:04 pm

I love everyone here, as they are my fellow Bruins so I am going to put this rant in here:

Please, everyone, relax (this is response to the earlier freak-out, OMG will I be hungry after law school posts).

(1) Projecting your employment prospects from this years OCI's is dumb: we will be graduating 3 years from now, the economy will recover, the Krugman, Bernie @ the Fed all say we'll be in recovery by the fall, we'll be fine by the time we graduate. This recession was systemic and unprecedented in the last 25 years.

(2) Don't read the horror stories online: forums like this have huge selection bias. As the old saying goes, misery loves company and most forums are full of the worst stories. People who get jobs are busy and aren't on forums complaining.

(3) Loan underwriting standards means that if the large number of students who finance their law school with loans must pay their lenders back. Loan providers did not have to write off huge portions of their student loan portfolios in the recession, there is no historical precedent for them having to do so. They loan in full tuition to sub-top 25 law students and aren't getting their nose cut open. Go look up how well student-loan backed securities have done.

(4) The other reason to go to law school (or any graduate school) is the quality of work you do (not just $): with just undergrad, you get shit desk-jobs (I know). You get to do interesting, challenging work after law school (not to mention the whole intellectual development in school which is sweet).

(5) we are going to the best regarded school, in the biggest city of the 6th largest economy in the world (CA). methinks there will be money.

Seriously everyone, enjoy your summer and come grab a beer (or bowl) with me in sunny LA. None of us will be going hungry after law school, which is more than 1B people in the world can say.

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm

mikewilliams wrote:Is everyone doing their loans with one of the electronic lenders? or has someone found better rates and fees with another lender and is doing them the old fashion way through paper/checks?

I want to them electronically but I know some lenders don't have origination fees for Stafford loans along with other incentives.

i dont know which way will work out better just as of yet...has anyone starting the actual application process?

how soon do I really need all the money?

ladyshoes

New

Post by ladyshoes » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:05 pm

lawschoolismoney wrote:I love everyone here, as they are my fellow Bruins so I am going to put this rant in here:

Please, everyone, relax (this is response to the earlier freak-out, OMG will I be hungry after law school posts).

(1) Projecting your employment prospects from this years OCI's is dumb: we will be graduating 3 years from now, the economy will recover, the Krugman, Bernie @ the Fed all say we'll be in recovery by the fall, we'll be fine by the time we graduate. This recession was systemic and unprecedented in the last 25 years.

(2) Don't read the horror stories online: forums like this have huge selection bias. As the old saying goes, misery loves company and most forums are full of the worst stories. People who get jobs are busy and aren't on forums complaining.

(3) Loan underwriting standards means that if the large number of students who finance their law school with loans must pay their lenders back. Loan providers did not have to write off huge portions of their student loan portfolios in the recession, there is no historical precedent for them having to do so. They loan in full tuition to sub-top 25 law students and aren't getting their nose cut open. Go look up how well student-loan backed securities have done.

(4) The other reason to go to law school (or any graduate school) is the quality of work you do (not just $): with just undergrad, you get shit desk-jobs (I know). You get to do interesting, challenging work after law school (not to mention the whole intellectual development in school which is sweet).

(5) we are going to the best regarded school, in the biggest city of the 6th largest economy in the world (CA). methinks there will be money.

Seriously everyone, enjoy your summer and come grab a beer (or bowl) with me in sunny LA. None of us will be going hungry after law school, which is more than 1B people in the world can say.
Optimism?! I will gladly drink a beer and smoke a bowl to that! We can, all of us, be rich. Onward and upward!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:10 pm

This thread is dead, huh? I'll do my best to revive it. So I finally found out about a week ago that I am getting housing in Weyburn Terrace. Thanks Dean Schwartz. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to bring a car. Does anyone know how much parking costs in Weyburn Terrace? I thought I found it online at one point, but it seems to have disappeared. Being within walking distance of the law school and several grocery stores makes having a car seems a little less necessary. Plus there are a lot of ZipCars in the area and there is always public transportation.

Anyone else looking forward to L.A. weather? I thought I would only long for it in the winter. However, right now it is 97 degrees with 54% humidity in Iowa. It's brutal.

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:21 pm

theuserdylan wrote:This thread is dead, huh? I'll do my best to revive it. So I finally found out about a week ago that I am getting housing in Weyburn Terrace. Thanks Dean Schwartz. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to bring a car. Does anyone know how much parking costs in Weyburn Terrace? I thought I found it online at one point, but it seems to have disappeared. Being within walking distance of the law school and several grocery stores makes having a car seems a little less necessary. Plus there are a lot of ZipCars in the area and there is always public transportation.

Anyone else looking forward to L.A. weather? I thought I would only long for it in the winter. However, right now it is 97 degrees with 54% humidity in Iowa. It's brutal.
So, I moved into Weyburn last week. Street parking is insane. Don't even try. I used TWO INCREMENTS of gas trying to find a space today. Bah! Also, there's that annoying L.A. thing where they have "street cleaning" once a week so you HAVE to move your car or suffer a $60 ticket. The Weyburn parking permit costs $920 per year. You can pay per quarter instead if you want, though neither way is cheaper. I, myself, decided to go ahead and get the permit, which I then discovered doesn't start working until July 1st. The past week of desperate circling to find street parking was horrific and I'm really not looking forward to another week of it.

Anyway, I hope people will start posting here again when they start to move into Weyburn! We should definitely all get together!

jeffc3s

New

Post by jeffc3s » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 am

So, I moved into Weyburn last week. Street parking is insane. Don't even try. I used TWO INCREMENTS of gas trying to find a space today. Bah! Also, there's that annoying L.A. thing where they have "street cleaning" once a week so you HAVE to move your car or suffer a $60 ticket. The Weyburn parking permit costs $920 per year. You can pay per quarter instead if you want, though neither way is cheaper. I, myself, decided to go ahead and get the permit, which I then discovered doesn't start working until July 1st. The past week of desperate circling to find street parking was horrific and I'm really not looking forward to another week of it.

Anyway, I hope people will start posting here again when they start to move into Weyburn! We should definitely all get together!
so... I just found out I got in off the waitlist last week :D There's a 99.9% chance I'm going to UCLA :D

As for parking, I came here for undergrad, so there are a few places that don't have street cleaning, but they're a bit far off. Hilgard (sorority row) has some sections that don't have street cleaning. This is really only an option if you don't need your car more than once or twice a week.

Other than that, the best times to move your cars are around 9-10PM because people are going out around those times. This is especially true Thursdays because that's the UCLA party night. Go early and don't waste gas circling... just chill in a spot until someone comes by and moves their car.

Lastly, check the local apartments for residents with extra parking spaces. They tend to have extras which they rent out to people. I rent one of mine out currently for $100 a month.

Hope this helps :D

p.s. anyone play basketball around here?

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 am

thruruby wrote:
theuserdylan wrote:This thread is dead, huh? I'll do my best to revive it. So I finally found out about a week ago that I am getting housing in Weyburn Terrace. Thanks Dean Schwartz. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to bring a car. Does anyone know how much parking costs in Weyburn Terrace? I thought I found it online at one point, but it seems to have disappeared. Being within walking distance of the law school and several grocery stores makes having a car seems a little less necessary. Plus there are a lot of ZipCars in the area and there is always public transportation.

Wow, that's no good, sorry ruby! How's Weyburn other than the parking situation?? And do you think we will all be able to get parking passes for next year? I kind of got worried about that when I realized that if I drive out there and can't get a parking pass, I have no idea what I'm going to do with my car, haha. I guess I'm just getting really anxious about this move in general.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 am

Just FYI...if you are already in Westwood, the Westwood Brewing Co. has an INSANE special going on Thursday nights after 8:00pm: $3 mini-pitchers of any beer on tap. This translates to about 2.5 normal human beers, which essentially means a full hammering of sorts can be achieved for about $15 bucks (including a good tip). I recommend the Belgian White :D

Squints

New

Post by Squints » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:02 pm

theuserdylan wrote:Anyone else looking forward to L.A. weather? I thought I would only long for it in the winter. However, right now it is 97 degrees with 54% humidity in Iowa. It's brutal.
It's been like 75 with a perfect coastal breeze and blue skies all week.

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:33 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
thruruby wrote:

Wow, that's no good, sorry ruby! How's Weyburn other than the parking situation?? And do you think we will all be able to get parking passes for next year? I kind of got worried about that when I realized that if I drive out there and can't get a parking pass, I have no idea what I'm going to do with my car, haha. I guess I'm just getting really anxious about this move in general.
I think you should be able to get parking passes pretty easily. The Weyburn parking lots are pretty deserted. I would say there are over 50 spaces per building and when I wandered down there, there were only 5 cars parked in the garage.

Otherwise, Weyburn is pretty great! I've peeked into a couple other units and, like mine, it seems they've all been freshly repainted and cleaned in preparation for move-in. The whole Weyburn area has a very safe and residential feel even though we're right next to bustling Westwood.

Now... These mini-pitchers. They sound amazing. I'll keep the white belgian in mind :D

Also, congrats Jeff! Hope to see you around soon!

dieselandcoco

New

Post by dieselandcoco » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:34 am

edit
Last edited by dieselandcoco on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

misslaw

New

Post by misslaw » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi everyone. Im on the waitlist and was wondering if any of you got your admission call on the weekend. thanks.

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:36 pm

dieselandcoco wrote:'m mostly a lurker, but all the talk about electronic lenders, etc has got me a little freaked: I havent got my eFAN yet! Shouldn't I have SOME info on loans, etc at this point?! I'm a Michigan resident, planning on moving the last week of July, which will cost $$$, and I need to put a deposit down for an apartment (no weyburn for me, they don't take dogs), which will also cost $$$.
I haven't received my eFAN yet either. Even after you receive it, it might to take a while to actually get any money. If you need money right away I think putting it on a new credit card that has some sort of introductory 0% APR might be your best bet. Then just pay it all off when you get your loan money.

Noble

New

Post by Noble » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:45 pm

UCLA 3rd year undergrad here...poli sci major, will have a 3.7 lsac gpa, taking lsat september (bad standardized test taker but will study until I get 165 at least hopefully)...any suggestions on last minute things i can do?

going to uclaw would be a dream come true. i'm going ot apply ED and would go to uclaw over any other school i'm admitted to (includes $$$ at higher ranked school) for personal and professional reasons.

any uclaw-specific guidance would be highly appreciated.

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Obviously you want to write a strong personal statement and get good recommendations, but the LSAT will probably determine your admittance. If you look at the Law School Numbers charts then a 168 is probably the sweet spot with your GPA. It's certainly possible to get in with a lower score, but it could be a long spring waiting to find out if you get deferred to regular decision.

So head on over to the LSAT forum and study, study, study.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Hey all! Getting all prepared for the big move over here. Tomorrow is my last day of work and then less than one month til I pack up and drive out. :) Just a question for anyone who may have an answer...I need to get furniture when I get out there because I don't want to ship my stuff or drive a UHaul out. Any suggestions (besides Craigslist, just in case I can't find what I need) about a cheap place to find stuff? Thanks so much!

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 am

E - ikea is definitely the way to go for cheap furniture. People in la also tend to just put old furniture on the street, but that's obviously not a reliable method for acquiring a specific piece...
On another note, did anybody with a mac buy a laptop pc just for school exams or is that silly?

jeffc3s

New

Post by jeffc3s » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:40 am

waldodanto wrote:On another note, did anybody with a mac buy a laptop pc just for school exams or is that silly?
i'm planning to just use bootcamp if necessary :D

edit: or even some other virtual machine software like Parallels or VMWare.

jeffc3s

New

Post by jeffc3s » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:04 am

Noble wrote:UCLA 3rd year undergrad here...poli sci major, will have a 3.7 lsac gpa, taking lsat september (bad standardized test taker but will study until I get 165 at least hopefully)...any suggestions on last minute things i can do?

going to uclaw would be a dream come true. i'm going ot apply ED and would go to uclaw over any other school i'm admitted to (includes $$$ at higher ranked school) for personal and professional reasons.

any uclaw-specific guidance would be highly appreciated.
like mentioned before... 168 is where you wanna be for the LSAT. Are you a 3rd year entering your 4th year or 2nd year entering your 3rd? If you're the former, that personal statement should be done ASAP. If you haven't finished, you're already behind (okay, not that drastic, but pretty close). i just graduated from ucla undergrad this year, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me :D

Professors at UCLA also tend to lag with letters of recommendation (or at least in my experience). Also, they usually have a template that they fill out, so try to give them your CV/resume and some points of interest for them to write on, especially if you never went to office hours :D. Good luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”