Minnesota '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
enygma

Bronze

Re: Minnesota '12

Post by enygma » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:03 am

OhJoy wrote:Hey everyone! I am new to TLS. I will be attending Minnesota Law this fall!! Does anyone know any nice neighborhoods to live in? I've only visited Minneapolis once.
pretty much uptown and seward and northeast. most law students live in seward. uptown is pretty evenly divided between punks/hipsters and yuppies. but it's not as bad as that sounds. i live there and it's really great. northeast is kind of up and coming, and it's a really great area with a lot of artists and musicians. uptown is key because of close proximity to the lakes during the nicer months.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 am

enygma wrote:
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Theodore Wirth Park, for instance, is about 95% the size of central park. And that's just one of them. .
Don't forget the 4+ miles of wooded singletrack mountain biking trail at Theo. It's a real treat to have a properly maintained trail in the middle of a city.

If you like biking, you'll LOVE the Twin Cities!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 am

Slimpee wrote:
enygma wrote:
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Theodore Wirth Park, for instance, is about 95% the size of central park. And that's just one of them. .
Don't forget the 4+ miles of wooded singletrack mountain biking trail at Theo. It's a real treat to have a properly maintained trail in the middle of a city.

If you like biking, you'll LOVE the Twin Cities!
hell yeah, and the greenway is great for commuting east/west.

also, still got a spot in a great and inexpensive house in uptown if anyone is interested.

OhJoy

New

Post by OhJoy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 am

I hope you all don't bike in the winter! I've heard that MN is INSANELY cold in the winter- when does the real cold winter start and end? October to April??

OhJoy

New

Post by OhJoy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:15 am

I'm afraid of the cold winter...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:19 am

OhJoy wrote:I hope you all don't bike in the winter! I've heard that MN is INSANELY cold in the winter- when does the real cold winter start and end? October to April??
I LOVE biking in the winter! Granted, I don't go super far but for up to five miles it's easy to just bundle up and stay warm. The key is to have wind-breaking layers and cover all skin. Riding in snow deeper than 3-4" sucks, though.

It starts getting chilly here in Nov. and really cold in Jan. and Feb. People in MN really embrace winter so (wo)man-up and enjoy it!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm

OhJoy wrote:I hope you all don't bike in the winter! I've heard that MN is INSANELY cold in the winter- when does the real cold winter start and end? October to April??
it's actually not too bad. just get windbreakers of some sort on and layer the shit out of yourself. as long as there's not snow on the ground, it's pretty easy. usually starts to get really cold between nov and march. you'll get a fair bit of it in october and april, but you'll also see a lot of warm days.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 pm

OhJoy wrote:I'm afraid of the cold winter...
you get used to it. learn to layer.

truly the cold never gets to the point where it bothers me unless it's windy. it could be -20 and still and i'd be alright, but man, 10' and windy and i wanna shoot someone. as with biking, get a jacket that'll break that wind.

OhJoy

New

Post by OhJoy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:36 am

Thanks for your advice Slimpee and Enygma!

Enygma- by the way- your profile picture is rather disturbing. Everytime you post, I assume it's going to be a evil response, but it's not!

Another question: How does everyone feel about the laptops that the U of M forces upon all of their law students? I was actually thinking about buying a Mac until I realized I have no choice! Are these computers any good or are they just big and clunky?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:27 am

I'm realizing more and more that I REALLY want to get into the U. I haven't visited the campus yet but I LOVE MPLS and I haven't really heard anything bad about the U.

Hopefully, in about 6-8 months, i'll be getting a phone call or fat envelope congratulating me on being accepted.

LET'S RUN!
Last edited by Slimpee on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:20 am

OhJoy wrote:Thanks for your advice Slimpee and Enygma!

Enygma- by the way- your profile picture is rather disturbing. Everytime you post, I assume it's going to be a evil response, but it's not!

Another question: How does everyone feel about the laptops that the U of M forces upon all of their law students? I was actually thinking about buying a Mac until I realized I have no choice! Are these computers any good or are they just big and clunky?
They aren't exactly sleek, but they are pretty small and durable. My colleague has one and likes it, seems convenient.

--LinkRemoved--

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:08 pm

section?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”