Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaAttorney

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:59 am

Daico wrote:
mpar wrote:If people want to fit in dress with general campus I'd suggest shorts, flip flops and a tshirt or polo. It's too damned hot to wear anything else. I think we've cracked 100 for 10 straight days, and as I type this at 10:30pm it's 95

+1

Amen. Lessons for good living in this state: Don't dress up unless there's a clear expectation that you do so. I mean, coat and tie in August? *shudder*

If I'm not attending a special event (e.g., OCI, special dinner, presentation, etc.), I'll be in a tee (or tank), shorts/jeans, and flips/sneakers.

art vandelay

Postby art vandelay » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:41 am

SoberHobo wrote:Got a nice little postcard today from the co-op with a handwritten note.... summer is going way too fast, and somehow very slowly at the same time. It's kind of early to be discussing such things, but any idea what the dress is going to be for orientation and the first couple weeks? I've heard some people go all out shirt and tie for a couple days but it quickly devolves into whatever you want to wear (I'm thinking of that sweatpants thread a while back).

I just don't want to be the only one wearing a cowhide loincloth with burnt orange and white body paint on the first day.

Why in God's name would you wear a coat and tie to orientation in August?

Who would someone be trying to impress by dressing like that? Do people forget that the only thing that matters is the your class rank, which is the result of your grades on a few exams? Playing dress-up in August in no way affects your ability to ace an exam four months later. The only reason for dressing up might be to impress a recruiter, but they aren't going to be at 1L orientation anyway.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate it when people needlessly overdress. I'll be in a T-shirt, shorts and flips.

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 am

SoberHobo wrote:Got a nice little postcard today from the co-op with a handwritten note.... summer is going way too fast, and somehow very slowly at the same time. It's kind of early to be discussing such things, but any idea what the dress is going to be for orientation and the first couple weeks? I've heard some people go all out shirt and tie for a couple days but it quickly devolves into whatever you want to wear (I'm thinking of that sweatpants thread a while back).

I just don't want to be the only one wearing a cowhide loincloth with burnt orange and white body paint on the first day.

Unless required to be more formal, I'll be in my short shorts, t-shirt, and birks. As usual.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:53 am

Esc and Vandelay are men after my own heart.

JoeShmo

Postby JoeShmo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 am

Can anyone help me out with the football tickets situation?

What's the difference between buying the regular LASP for 70 dollars and buying the guaranteed Season Ticket LASP for 135? I understand the latter gets you tickets to every game... but what about the former? Is there a draw for every game? Is the draw completely random or do law students have priority and thus a better chance at getting seats? And what's the deal with group seating?

Thanks for the help!

davidin

Postby davidin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neverknowsbest

Postby Neverknowsbest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:23 pm

JoeShmo wrote:Can anyone help me out with the football tickets situation?

What's the difference between buying the regular LASP for 70 dollars and buying the guaranteed Season Ticket LASP for 135? I understand the latter gets you tickets to every game... but what about the former? Is there a draw for every game? Is the draw completely random or do law students have priority and thus a better chance at getting seats? And what's the deal with group seating?

Thanks for the help!

I think if you get the 135 season tickets you get the same seat to every game, and you can sit with a specific group of people to every game, like the law school group. If you only get the 70 you have to go through the draw thing for every game so you will be in different places each game, and as law students we do get better seats than most. I don't think not getting a seat is an issue either way. I'm not sure if you can be a part of a group with the cheaper seats. I was wondering that myself.

JoeShmo

Postby JoeShmo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Neverknowsbest wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:Can anyone help me out with the football tickets situation?

Thanks for the help!

I think if you get the 135 season tickets you get the same seat to every game, and you can sit with a specific group of people to every game, like the law school group. If you only get the 70 you have to go through the draw thing for every game so you will be in different places each game, and as law students we do get better seats than most. I don't think not getting a seat is an issue either way. I'm not sure if you can be a part of a group with the cheaper seats. I was wondering that myself.

What if I get neither? Can I still go to games by buying a ticket off another law or undergrad student? And just get in with my student I.D.? Or is an LASP needed to get into a game?

1000bmr

Postby 1000bmr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:28 pm

yeah joe, you can buy tickets from other students. acutally, a lot of students with LASP sell the good tickets, sometimes for several hundred dollars. the home schedule is pretty mundane this year though, so there's not going to be any of that i suspect. i'm sure if you ask around you'll be able to get tickets to games.

davidin

Postby davidin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 pm

davidin wrote:Back in the day I could buy tickets off my friends who had student season passes, and all I needed was my student ID to get in with those tickets. Is that still the case, or are they now tied to the purchaser's ID? Any recent grads or current law students wanna weigh in (all my info is 10 years old)?

When I got out 3 years ago, this was still true. I know someone who went this season with a student ticket she bought on eBay and her old ID, so I would guess it's still true.

The option I chose was to watch the games at home or at the Drafthouse unless I can find someone willing to sell me a ticket cheap.

davidin

Postby davidin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:25 pm

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 pm

I would love season tickets, but mostly I wasn't sure it would be worth the money if I ended up not having time. I figured I'd just watch the games and see how much free time I had, then probably get the tickets 2L. It's a pretty weak home schedule anyway. I'm thinking next year will have better games at home.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:57 pm

I forgot to mention yesterday, the orientation kids I talked to while waiting in line for my ID said that they didn't have to turn in a health form. If undergrads don't have to, we shouldn't either.

I'll probably be off TLS for a while. I'm leaving the country. See you when I get back.

countbizaller

Postby countbizaller » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:20 pm

davidin wrote:Back in the day I could buy tickets off my friends who had student season passes, and all I needed was my student ID to get in with those tickets. Is that still the case, or are they now tied to the purchaser's ID? Any recent grads or current law students wanna weigh in (all my info is 10 years old)?

I saw a guy last year who had bought a student ticket from his friend, had a student ID, and didn't get in. They check to see if the name on the ticket matches your student ID. If you want to sell or give tickets to another student, you have to log on to the ticket website and transfer them over to that student. That way it'll have their name on them.

davidin

Postby davidin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:20 pm

countbizaller

Postby countbizaller » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 pm

davidin wrote:
countbizaller wrote:

I saw a guy last year who had bought a student ticket from his friend, had a student ID, and didn't get in. They check to see if the name on the ticket matches your student ID. If you want to sell or give tickets to another student, you have to log on to the ticket website and transfer them over to that student. That way it'll have their name on them.

Interesting...Thanks for the info!

And I should add that doing something fancy like photoshopping your name on to the ticket won't work. Whenever they scan the barcode on the ticket, it pops up the ticket holder's name on the scanner and that's what they check against the ID. So bottom line, make sure your tickets are transferred properly if you're buying or selling them.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:40 pm

penni_rose wrote:I forgot to mention yesterday, the orientation kids I talked to while waiting in line for my ID said that they didn't have to turn in a health form. If undergrads don't have to, we shouldn't either.

I'll probably be off TLS for a while. I'm leaving the country. See you when I get back.

Thanks, penni. Have a safe trip.

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:26 pm

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/career/ ... stics.html

Although I haven't been to the web page in a few, I think this is some new info regarding UT employment. Most of it seems familiar, although it's nice to see exactly where the 2006-2008 grads secured employment, whether SCOTUS or Kohl's. Not bad for transpareny, eh.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:51 pm

TheIdiot wrote:http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/career/resources/statistics.html

Although I haven't been to the web page in a few, I think this is some new info regarding UT employment. Most of it seems familiar, although it's nice to see exactly where the 2006-2008 grads secured employment, whether SCOTUS or Kohl's. Not bad for transpareny, eh.

Can anyone else access the 2008 statistics page? I certainly can't; I get the "forbidden" message once I plug in my EID and Password.

UT releasing the 2006-2008 statistics is a start, but the fact that they won't make the 2008-only statistics available to us is discouraging. I'm not pleased to find that, as a 0L who begins 1L in less than 6 weeks, I can't even access important employment information that should be publicly available. By only letting 2006 - 2008 stats be made available they are, intentionally or not, hiding the most recent, relevant, and presumably poorest statistics behind the veil of rosy pre-recession stats.

I hope that this lack of transparency regarding recent employment stats is only temporary, and that UT will soon make it public, as it has with the combined 2006 - 2008 stats.

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm locked out of most of the good stuff on the employment page. :evil: Hopefully that will change soon, since, as committed 0L's, I think we should have access. Of course, you can e-mail admissions for the 2008 stats but they are basically the same as on the web: 2008 employer type/average salary/% reporting. The only difference is the e-mailed version has % and raw numbers for each field as well as a generic geographic distribution of grads. From what I can tell, the 2008 class looks comparable to the 3 year averages as well as the 2007 stats put on TLS: 61% employed in firms w/an average salary of $142,841 (88% reporting). Clerkships, Government, and Public Interest numbers for 2008 are very close as well.

The only obvious red flag seems to be the 30/40 unreported salaries in the "business" sector. Of course, this could be the case each year: 2007 had 41 business grads and a similar reported average salary. Either way, bottom 10% here I come.

Daico

Postby Daico » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:37 pm

TheIdiot wrote:I'm locked out of most of the good stuff on the employment page. :evil: Hopefully that will change soon, since, as committed 0L's, I think we should have access. Of course, you can e-mail admissions for the 2008 stats but they are basically the same as on the web: 2008 employer type/average salary/% reporting. The only difference is the e-mailed version has % and raw numbers for each field as well as a generic geographic distribution of grads. From what I can tell, the 2008 class looks comparable to the 3 year averages as well as the 2007 stats put on TLS: 61% employed in firms w/an average salary of $142,841 (88% reporting). Clerkships, Government, and Public Interest numbers for 2008 are very close as well.

The only obvious red flag seems to be the 30/40 unreported salaries in the "business" sector. Of course, this could be the case each year: 2007 had 41 business grads and a similar reported average salary. Either way, bottom 10% here I come.

Any particular member of admissions email or just the generic admissions @ ut law one?

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Daico wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:I'm locked out of most of the good stuff on the employment page. :evil: Hopefully that will change soon, since, as committed 0L's, I think we should have access. Of course, you can e-mail admissions for the 2008 stats but they are basically the same as on the web: 2008 employer type/average salary/% reporting. The only difference is the e-mailed version has % and raw numbers for each field as well as a generic geographic distribution of grads. From what I can tell, the 2008 class looks comparable to the 3 year averages as well as the 2007 stats put on TLS: 61% employed in firms w/an average salary of $142,841 (88% reporting). Clerkships, Government, and Public Interest numbers for 2008 are very close as well.

Any particular member of admissions email or just the generic admissions @ ut law one?

It's just the generic admissions e-mail. PM me if you want and I'll forward the stats to you. Again, it's not super informative so don't get too excited.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Don't fret if you can't access the stats on that 2008 page. It's useless. Just says what % are employed in what industry. I can't believe someone got paid to put that together.

art vandelay

Postby art vandelay » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Anyone know anything about those "business" grads? Are they the ones that go to work for the companies (like Shell and Exxon) that recruit at UT for their legal teams? That's be something I'd be interested in, but I'm just wondering what exactly "business" grads do....

Anyone have any info?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”