Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Alta

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by Alta » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:20 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:When there are comparatively minor differences in GPA between two candidates, such as in your example, I'm sure you are right. The guy with connections wins. I doubt that holds true when the GPA difference is larger, IE I think a top 20% candidate w/o connections will still beat a median candidate with connections.

O well. We'll just have to wait and see.
Maybe yes. Maybe no.
I think a lot of it has to do with how much extra effort a firm/hiring partner is willing to expend to hire you. I was looking for a job in the legal field (i.e. file clerk) in the 9 months I took off between UG and law school and I got nothing when just applying at various firms. I eventually found a good position through my dad's attorney friend, who was willing to put in a good word for me. But I also think that this attorney would not have been so eager to recommend me if I had had less than stellar grades/experience. So I think that you can be successful regardless, but it doesn't hurt to milk every opportunity for what it's worth. Just my two cents.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Esc wrote: Blackknight, I think most of the major banks will work fine. Wells Fargo is pretty ubiquitous. University Federal Credit Union also has a lot of ATMs and branches around.
any Bank of America, Wachovia or Chase ones? (i actually do have accounts at all 3)

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Esc wrote: Blackknight, I think most of the major banks will work fine. Wells Fargo is pretty ubiquitous. University Federal Credit Union also has a lot of ATMs and branches around.
any Bank of America, Wachovia or Chase ones? (i actually do have accounts at all 3)
Plenty of BoA and Chase banks around. Wells Fargo bought out Wachovia recently, so, assuming that the two are now interchangeable, then any of the Wells Fargo locations should suffice for a Wachovia.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:44 am

I use Frost, because they didn't need any bailout money... and because my family has been with that bank for many, many years. I don't think that they have ATMs near campus, but they have tons of locations all over Austin.

As for the OCI stuff, it's scary. It's not a good sign, but it's the times. Unfortunately, I want to be a lawyer and I know that if I wait any longer I won't go back to school. It's now or never. I wish I could wait for the economy to right itself, but, honestly, there's no guarantee that it will happen any time soon. Personally, I have a family that is already forcing me to network with the DFW market (I'm related to a lot of lawyers up there). It's good to have the connections, but I don't really want to go up there unless I have to. That means I'll be trying to network down here as well as I can without the family help. We just have to make the best we can out of our situation. It's a crappy time to go to law school, but it's the only time I have. Putting it off just doesn't work for me.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 am

penni_rose wrote:Unfortunately, I want to be a lawyer and I know that if I wait any longer I won't go back to school. It's now or never. I wish I could wait for the economy to right itself, but, honestly, there's no guarantee that it will happen.
+1 and FYP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:52 am

JazzOne wrote:
penni_rose wrote:Unfortunately, I want to be a lawyer and I know that if I wait any longer I won't go back to school. It's now or never. I wish I could wait for the economy to right itself, but, honestly, there's no guarantee that it will happen.
+1 and FYP
+ 1000

blackknight

New

Post by blackknight » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:58 pm

I know most of the people on here already have their dwellings picked out for the coming year, but in case some people are still looking I am trying to find roommates. It is a 3/2.5 duplex located about 20 minute drive from the law school. Its new construction in a condo development. The rent per room would be $325. If youre interested let me know and I can send you some pictures.

P.s. Sorry for my whoring.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:41 pm

blackknight wrote:I know most of the people on here already have their dwellings picked out for the coming year, but in case some people are still looking I am trying to find roommates. It is a 3/2.5 duplex located about 20 minute drive from the law school. Its new construction in a condo development. The rent per room would be $325. If youre interested let me know and I can send you some pictures.

P.s. Sorry for my whoring.
Damn, $325 is cheap. Already signed a lease though.

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:50 pm

Anybody get the Pre-Matriculation Health Record form sent to you yet? I have not. It says I need to submit the form prior to registration. Advice? Thanks guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:40 pm

I haven't gotten it either, so you probably don't have to worry.

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:25 pm

There was a post on the Freshlaw discussion page from the administration that seemed to indicate that the Pre-Matriculation Health Record was no longer required. It said that the UHS policy had been changed and that immunizations were recommended, but not required for non-International students. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I figure if I don't receive the form in the next few weeks, I'm not going to worry about it.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Alta wrote:There was a post on the Freshlaw discussion page from the administration that seemed to indicate that the Pre-Matriculation Health Record was no longer required. It said that the UHS policy had been changed and that immunizations were recommended, but not required for non-International students. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I figure if I don't receive the form in the next few weeks, I'm not going to worry about it.
I hope that's correct. I lost my immunization records several years ago, and my pediatrician is deceased.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 am

I did see on the UHS website that the immunizations are recommended rather than required, so the immunization record is most likely not needed. If a form shows up, I'll fill it out. If not, I'm not going to worry about it. I know in undergrad they had a ton of extra copies at orientation. I figure if we have to have it, we'll get a copy somewhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:44 am

Is anyone here doing a three year dual degree program at UT? If so, I'm interested to hear the details on how it works. They've yet to add it to their website.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:33 pm

nukelaloosh wrote:Is anyone here doing a three year dual degree program at UT? If so, I'm interested to hear the details on how it works. They've yet to add it to their website.
I thought about doing JD/MBA, but that's four years. Which dual degree program only takes three years?

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:23 am

I went to one of the Texas Law "road show" events in March and Dean Sager said they had "just developed" a few programs with the LBJ School that gave 3-year dual degrees. One was in Public Policy, the other in Public Affairs...I think. I thought it sounded too good to be true.

ziggy

New

Post by ziggy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:26 pm

I know it's pretty late in the cycle, but is anyone still on the hunt for housing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Went to the school today to get a new ID card and buy Microsoft Office with UT's MASSIVE discount. It was a bad idea, because, like an idiot, I didn't check the orientation schedule and ended up in the middle of a HUGE line to get my ID. I would have just assumed my old ID had been activated, but it had my old last name on it, so I needed a new one anyway. Besides, the picture was like 6 years old.

Anyway, I stopped in the law building to look around and enjoy some AC before heading over to the Co-op that has law apparel to get a shirt for my mom. They had a board up in there that said FreshLaw assignments and then listed each section number. Unfortunately, there were no names under the sections. I'm hoping the board means they're working on it, but it's probably always there.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Did you buy Office? You can get it for free from the library (or used to be able to). Just give them your computer and they'll install it in a half hour.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Did you buy Office? You can get it for free from the library (or used to be able to). Just give them your computer and they'll install it in a half hour.
Really? Oh well, doesn't work so well for a desktop anyway. I have no desire to take that up to the school.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:38 pm

penni_rose wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Did you buy Office? You can get it for free from the library (or used to be able to). Just give them your computer and they'll install it in a half hour.
Really? Oh well, doesn't work so well for a desktop anyway. I have no desire to take that up to the school.
Haha, very true!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SoberHobo

New

Post by SoberHobo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Got a nice little postcard today from the co-op with a handwritten note.... summer is going way too fast, and somehow very slowly at the same time. It's kind of early to be discussing such things, but any idea what the dress is going to be for orientation and the first couple weeks? I've heard some people go all out shirt and tie for a couple days but it quickly devolves into whatever you want to wear (I'm thinking of that sweatpants thread a while back).

I just don't want to be the only one wearing a cowhide loincloth with burnt orange and white body paint on the first day.

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:24 pm

SoberHobo wrote:Got a nice little postcard today from the co-op with a handwritten note.... summer is going way too fast, and somehow very slowly at the same time. It's kind of early to be discussing such things, but any idea what the dress is going to be for orientation and the first couple weeks? I've heard some people go all out shirt and tie for a couple days but it quickly devolves into whatever you want to wear (I'm thinking of that sweatpants thread a while back).

I just don't want to be the only one wearing a cowhide loincloth with burnt orange and white body paint on the first day.
If people want to fit in dress with general campus I'd suggest shorts, flip flops and a tshirt or polo. It's too damned hot to wear anything else. I think we've cracked 100 for 10 straight days, and as I type this at 10:30pm it's 95

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:50 am

mpar wrote: If people want to fit in dress with general campus I'd suggest shorts, flip flops and a tshirt or polo. It's too damned hot to wear anything else. I think we've cracked 100 for 10 straight days, and as I type this at 10:30pm it's 95
+1

Amen. Lessons for good living in this state: Don't dress up unless there's a clear expectation that you do so. I mean, coat and tie in August? *shudder*

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:19 am

nukelaloosh wrote:I went to one of the Texas Law "road show" events in March and Dean Sager said they had "just developed" a few programs with the LBJ School that gave 3-year dual degrees. One was in Public Policy, the other in Public Affairs...I think. I thought it sounded too good to be true.
When I went to visit the school Dean Sager talked about this, but I don't think it is avaliable for our class (or that was the impression that I got) because it would have classes from both schools in the first year. I bet those are 3 crappy years anyway, I figure I'll see how my JD does me and go from there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”