Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mpar

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby mpar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:27 pm

TheIdiot wrote:95 in Portland today. Gearing up for the Texas heat in 3 short weeks :mrgreen:

For those who have been, is that water park outside of Austin worth it (for an almost 5 and 8 year old)?

If you're talking about Schlitterbahn, yes. It's always voted one of the top waterparks in the country. Well worth the drive to New Braunfels, but go on a weekday (lines)

txgirl

Postby txgirl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 am

Hey everyone, I was admitted back in February, and just finally decided on UT. I'm excited to be back in Austin and look forward to meeting everyone in August.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 pm

txgirl wrote:Hey everyone, I was admitted back in February, and just finally decided on UT. I'm excited to be back in Austin and look forward to meeting everyone in August.

WELCOME!

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:16 pm

txgirl wrote:Hey everyone, I was admitted back in February, and just finally decided on UT. I'm excited to be back in Austin and look forward to meeting everyone in August.

Welcome to you, too.

Also, yes, Schliterbahn is worth it. If you're willing to drive a little farther to San Antonio, Sea World and Six Flags might be fun too.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:59 pm

--LinkRemoved--

anyone catch this little gem? employers at oci down 45% :gulp:

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:07 am

f0bolous wrote:--LinkRemoved--

anyone catch this little gem? employers at oci down 45% :gulp:

Yes, I read it the day it appeared on ATB. I visit that site daily.

My response: Whatevs 8) . OCI #s are down everywhere. Nothing I can do about it. It will be foolhardy, I think, to rely solely on OCI for employment opportunities. In times like these, it's all about networking and connections.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:36 am

Remember that is 3L OCI. That's never really been a great way to get a job.

I believe 2L OCI is down quite a bit as well, more like 18% or so. They measured that based on reserved interview rooms or something like that.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:58 am

OperaAttorney wrote: In times like these, it's all about networking and connections.

sounds dangerous, especially when you lack a network or any connections in the legal field.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:39 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Remember that is 3L OCI. That's never really been a great way to get a job.

I dunno, that sounds like a pretty big problem to me . . .

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:30 pm

f0bolous wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote: In times like these, it's all about networking and connections.

sounds dangerous, especially when you lack a network or any connections in the legal field.

Speak for yourself. I picked UT for those very reasons.

But really, I think this can work out in your favor, especially since you're gay. Gay men tend to look out for one another. And there are lots of gay attorneys. It's time to work that smile, f0bolous!

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:12 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

But really, I think this can work out in your favor, especially since you're gay. Gay men tend to look out for one another. And there are lots of gay attorneys. It's time to work that smile, f0bolous!

Uh huh. And, as f0bulous said, what about those of us who don't have prior networks or connections to the legal field?

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Uh huh. And, as f0bulous said, what about those of us who don't have prior networks or connections to the legal field?

Start to make those connections. Everywhere you go, there's a lawyer. Try to meet attorneys through family or friends. An attorney might know another attorney who happens to be on the recruiting committee for his or her firm. (SA opportunity, anyone?) You just have to get out there and make it happen.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Well, that works for people who have large family/friend networks, but it doesn't work so well for others without those networks. Maybe I'm the only person in this situation, but I'm counting heavily on making connections while in law school, as I have no preexisting ones to rely upon.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Esc wrote:Well, that works for people who have large family/friend networks, but it doesn't work so well for others without those networks. Maybe I'm the only person in this situation, but I'm counting heavily on making connections while in law school, as I have no preexisting ones to rely upon.

There's still hope for people who don't have prior connections. Off the top of my head, here are ways that someone with no prior connections could network:

Gym

Church

Rotary Club

Volunteer Work

You have to become creative.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:11 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Remember that is 3L OCI. That's never really been a great way to get a job.

How many people actually got jobs out of 3L OCI in the past? It can't be that many. Firms just don't hire that way. Now they're cutting the BS and not wasting everyone's time.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:34 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:

How many people actually got jobs out of 3L OCI in the past? It can't be that many. Firms just don't hire that way. Now they're cutting the BS and not wasting everyone's time.

but that was back when most people got offers from their SA positions. it seems like now more than ever 3L OCIs would be more important.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:57 pm

f0bolous wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:

but that was back when most people got offers from their SA positions. it seems like now more than ever 3L OCIs would be more important.

While it may be more important, are firms really planning on hiring from 3L OCI ITE? It doesn't seem like something many firms will be doing much of, so why even put on a front?

Daico

Postby Daico » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Last edited by Daico on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Esc wrote:Well, that works for people who have large family/friend networks, but it doesn't work so well for others without those networks. Maybe I'm the only person in this situation, but I'm counting heavily on making connections while in law school, as I have no preexisting ones to rely upon.

+1

I'm all for cultivating professional relationships, but going far out of my way specifically to "network" when I'm paying over 100k for a graduate education sounds like bullcrap. This isn't business school where aggressive networking skills are basically part of the job description, so it seems like it should be an extra little boost at best. One of the attractions of law for me was that it seemed very merit based, at least relatively speaking. Maybe I'm just naive :? Hopefully this discussion applies only to med.-high end corporate positions.

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:08 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

This is very true from what I've seen. The gays tend to form a pretty strong network.

As far as the need for networking, you will need it regardless of what industry you enter. Networking is very important in the legal market if your trying to find a job and also if you want to advance in a firm networking helps to build a client base. Even if you dont like networking it is something you will have to learn. While you can advance based of work ethic and merrit alone if people like you and you know people it makes life much easier.

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:10 pm

From the people who are currently in Austin do you guys have any recommendations on a good bank? What banks have atms on or close to campus?

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Cogito wrote:

+1

I'm all for cultivating professional relationships, but going far out of my way specifically to "network" when I'm paying over 100k for a graduate education sounds like bullcrap. This isn't business school where aggressive networking skills are basically part of the job description, so it seems like it should be an extra little boost at best. One of the attractions of law for me was that it seemed very merit based, at least relatively speaking. Maybe I'm just naive :? Hopefully this discussion applies only to med.-high end corporate positions.

Networking is always important regardless of the field, but I'm also very much of the belief that merit, which in the case of law students means grades and 1L/2L summer work experience, should be the most important factor concerning opportunities.

Opera, you're making me paranoid about my lack of social contacts. I just want to live in my cave and beat on my drum. Stop making me sad! :oops:

Blackknight, I think most of the major banks will work fine. Wells Fargo is pretty ubiquitous. University Federal Credit Union also has a lot of ATMs and branches around.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Esc wrote:
Cogito wrote:

+1

Networking is always important regardless of the field, but I'm also very much of the belief that merit, which in the case of law students means grades and 1L/2L summer work experience, should be the most important factor concerning opportunities.

Opera, you're making me paranoid about my lack of social contacts. I just want to live in my cave and beat on my drum. Stop making me sad! :oops:

Blackknight, I think most of the major banks will work fine. Wells Fargo is pretty ubiquitous. University Federal Credit Union also has a lot of ATMs and branches around.

Sorry for making you sad, Esc. Grades are important. But let's be real. If Mr. A has a 3.9 and Mr. B has a 3.8 (and a connecting with one of the hiring partners), who do you think has the better chance? Also, let's not forget that many law students with excellent grades from top law schools become shitty attorneys. Practicing law is not as intellectually demanding as you might think it is LOL.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:34 pm

When there are comparatively minor differences in GPA between two candidates, such as in your example, I'm sure you are right. The guy with connections wins. I doubt that holds true when the GPA difference is larger, IE I think a top 20% candidate w/o connections will still beat a median candidate with connections.

O well. We'll just have to wait and see.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Esc wrote:When there are comparatively minor differences in GPA between two candidates, such as in your example, I'm sure you are right. The guy with connections wins. I doubt that holds true when the GPA difference is larger, IE I think a top 20% candidate w/o connections will still beat a median candidate with connections.

O well. We'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”