Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaAttorney

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:36 pm

art vandelay wrote:http://texaslawyer.typepad.com/texas_lawyer_blog/2009/06/brother-can-you-spare-some-mentorship.html

What do you guys think? Is anyone else growing uncreasingly frightened about his or her job prospects even three years from now? Throw in the effects of cap-and-trade (which will be particularly deleterious in Texas' energy-based economy) and a potential national sales tax, I'm really very much doubting the wisdom of my decision to take out loans for law school. UT is a fine school, but I'm just not sure that lawmakers are doing anything to improve the state of the economy.

I don't worry about things I can't control. No, I'm not increasingly frightened at the moment.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:http://texaslawyer.typepad.com/texas_lawyer_blog/2009/06/brother-can-you-spare-some-mentorship.html

What do you guys think? Is anyone else growing uncreasingly frightened about his or her job prospects even three years from now? Throw in the effects of cap-and-trade (which will be particularly deleterious in Texas' energy-based economy) and a potential national sales tax, I'm really very much doubting the wisdom of my decision to take out loans for law school. UT is a fine school, but I'm just not sure that lawmakers are doing anything to improve the state of the economy.

I don't worry about things I can't control. No, I'm not increasingly frightened at the moment.

+1. Besides, my job prospects with a JD are infinitely better than my job prospects without.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:25 pm

I'm worried about my loans too, and I have quite a bit of scholarship money. How much will you be borrowing? I was thinking about asking for a deferment.
Last edited by JazzOne on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:45 pm

penni_rose wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

+1. Besides, my job prospects with a JD are infinitely better than my job prospects without.

AMEN! And AMEN!

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:56 am

I'm not really concerned about the economy's potential affect. Maybe I should be, given how, on a broader scale, our industrial capacity has been destroyed by globalization while wages have stagnated under the veil of cheap debt doled out like heroin by the financial traitors at Bank of America, Citi, Chase, Goldman Sachs, etc. Maybe I should be, given how, on a narrow scale, Hah-vahd is advising all of its students to apply for clerkships, which means more competition for the jobs I want fresh out of law school.

I figure I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hopefully the economy will be looking up by the time I'm looking for a job. Regardless, I've been planning on law school since my soph year in UG, about a billion years ago as far as I'm concerned, and every career goal I have in this life lies on the other side of law school. I'm in for the long haul.

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:25 pm

I am a little worried about what will happen, but there really isn't much I can do about it. Pretty much it just made me realize that I'm going to have to actually try. I will also make sure that I have some plan Bs and possibly Cs when it comes time for OCI. I figure worst case scenario I take the JD and go back into public accounting.

art vandelay

Postby art vandelay » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:22 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I'm worried about my loans too, and I have quite a bit of scholarship money. How much will you be borrowing? I was thinking about asking for a deferment.

Even with a scholly I'm borrowing roughly $15k/yr, so even though I know my job prospects will be better with a JD I'm also pretty well attuned to the financial obligations that will come with that JD. Thus the worries. Oh well, I really don;t have the balls to do anything drastic (like deferring), so perhaps there really is no reason to worry at this point.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:18 am

Is anyone else :shock: that classes start in less than 2 months?

joesrevenge

Postby joesrevenge » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:15 pm

Esc wrote:Is anyone else :shock: that classes start in less than 2 months?

Yes. I am somewhat excited to start, but I would not mind if summer started moving at a little bit slower of a pace.

So are a majority of yall - get used to that if you are not already - moving to Austin in August?

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Not really shocked, more like super excited. I kind of just want to get this show on the road and start dominating already.

So are a majority of yall - get used to that if you are not already - moving to Austin in August?

I plan on starting my drive from CA on Aug 1 and driving with no stops. I want to get there early so I can get used to the town and get my place all set up.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Yes, yes, yes.

I'm concerned about not having enough time to cook the kinds of meals I enjoy :lol:. Right now I plan to do cook my meats on the weekend: I'll thaw my meats Friday evening, marinade Saturday morning, and broil/grill Saturday evening or Sunday.

I'm concerned about making time for my workouts. I'll figure something out as soon as we get our class schedules. Right now I'm considering renting a spot less than 10 mins from UT (according to GOOGLE maps). If my classes start late, I'll work out in the morning. If not, I'll head to the gym right after my last class during the day.

I'm concerned about the grading curve. Unfortunately, the only thing I can do about that is study smartly--well, that's what I'll try to do :lol:.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:49 pm

joesrevenge wrote:

Yes. I am somewhat excited to start, but I would not mind if summer started moving at a little bit slower of a pace.

Yeah. My friend from Houston will fly out to Cali in early August. He and I will drive to Austin together. I haven't seen him in ages , so the trip will be a chance to spend some quality with one of my closest friends. I'm excited about it.

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Speaking of workouts, does anyone know how the gym is at UT? Is it free for all students? and do you know if we can get our student IDs early so we can start using the gym?

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:01 pm

blackknight wrote:Speaking of workouts, does anyone know how the gym is at UT? Is it free for all students? and do you know if we can get our student IDs early so we can start using the gym?

I assume our fees will include gym fees. I hope we can get our student IDs early so that we can start using the gym before classes begin too.

1000bmr

Postby 1000bmr » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:24 pm

blackknight wrote:Speaking of workouts, does anyone know how the gym is at UT? Is it free for all students? and do you know if we can get our student IDs early so we can start using the gym?

The main gym (Gregory) is really good. Good but not great selection of machines (though there are plenty of duplicates, so you don't need to wait on people), good selection of free weights, and about a bazillion treadmills and ellipticals all over the place if you're into that. There are also lots of other things like numerous basketball courts, a climbing wall, racquetball courts, swimming pool, etc. But it's not that close to the law school (maybe a 15 minute walk).

There are a few smaller facilities around campus, but I don't know anything about any of the other gyms. There are also recreational fields around and some outdoors basketball courts, but those also involve travel time from the law school area.

There are tons of intramural sports as well. I've noticed law students participating in some, but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

countbizaller

Postby countbizaller » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:13 pm

The Rec is on the south side of the football field and is where a lot of grad students go. It's got newer equipment and a little more room than Gregory but doesn't have as much stuff like pools and climbing walls.

I can't remember if they send you an email when you can get your student IDs. I'm sure calling ID services would clear things up but you wouldn't be able to use any of the gyms until the start of the fall semester anyway.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:15 pm

countbizaller wrote:The Rec is on the south side of the football field and is where a lot of grad students go. It's got newer equipment and a little more room than Gregory but doesn't have as much stuff like pools and climbing walls.

I can't remember if they send you an email when you can get your student IDs. I'm sure calling ID services would clear things up but you wouldn't be able to use any of the gyms until the start of the fall semester anyway.

What if we pay the gyms money for a pro-rated summer membership?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:20 pm

The Rec Sports Center (RSC) is great. It's a 10 minute walk from the law school and has most of the things you will need. It's a bit nicer than Gregory (which is probably around a 12-15 minute walk) but Gregory has much more to do than the RSC. I'm unsure about summer memberships...

countbizaller

Postby countbizaller » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:20 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
countbizaller wrote:The Rec is on the south side of the football field and is where a lot of grad students go. It's got newer equipment and a little more room than Gregory but doesn't have as much stuff like pools and climbing walls.

What if we pay the gyms money for a pro-rated summer membership?

Hmm. I'm not sure about that either. I bet you could do the pro-rated membership but I don't know if they'd give you student rates until the fall. Here's the link to the membership page: http://www.utrecsports.org/memberships/about.php

JoeShmo

Postby JoeShmo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Do we have e-mail addresses yet? Sorry if this has already been asked...

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:36 pm

JoeShmo wrote:Do we have e-mail addresses yet? Sorry if this has already been asked...

http://www.utexas.edu/its/services/email/

Click 'sign up now' next to 'UMBS Email' for the standard .utexas.edu domain email.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:23 am

Cogito wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:Do we have e-mail addresses yet? Sorry if this has already been asked...

Click 'sign up now' next to 'UMBS Email' for the standard .utexas.edu domain email.

That didn't work for me. I guess I'll have to call. It probably has to do with the fact that I used to have an email address and it expired, so I can't get into my old one and I can't start a new one... it's a little annoying. Any other Texas Exes tried it?

I'm curious about when the IDs are activated, because I would like to go buy some software from the computer store. I have my old ID, but I don't think it will work. If anyone finds out when to expect them, let me know.

nahmorlah

Postby nahmorlah » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:34 am

penni_rose wrote:
Cogito wrote:

That didn't work for me. I guess I'll have to call. It probably has to do with the fact that I used to have an email address and it expired, so I can't get into my old one and I can't start a new one... it's a little annoying. Any other Texas Exes tried it?

I'm curious about when the IDs are activated, because I would like to go buy some software from the computer store. I have my old ID, but I don't think it will work. If anyone finds out when to expect them, let me know.

mail.utexas.edu will take you to the mailbox settings. You can reset your password there.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:41 am

nahmorlah wrote:
penni_rose wrote:
Cogito wrote:

mail.utexas.edu will take you to the mailbox settings. You can reset your password there.

Thanks. For some reason, I was never able to get that to work on my Mac at home, but it did work on my PC at work. It's not the first time that's happened to me.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:45 am

I can't wait!!!! Law Preview was awesome, and so was Austin. I love 107 degrees! And I want classes to start tomorrow.........

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”