Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Daico

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Esc wrote:
penni_rose wrote:It looks like Wellborn is 1D Torts. My dad had him in the 70s for Federal Procedure. It was the worst grade he got in law school. Thought that was interesting.

That is the opposite of encouraging :shock:

C'mon, everybody knows that law profs become sweeter and more pleasant with age, right?

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Esc wrote:
penni_rose wrote:It looks like Wellborn is 1D Torts. My dad had him in the 70s for Federal Procedure. It was the worst grade he got in law school. Thought that was interesting.

If it makes you feel better, his two favorite profs are still there too. Anderson and Sampson. Both classes were A's. I am a little concerned about the possibility of getting Wellborn though.

countbizaller

Postby countbizaller » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:15 pm

Daico wrote:
Esc wrote:

C'mon, everybody knows that law profs become sweeter and more pleasant with age, right?

Wellborn said he's been in a bad mood since 1965. He's pretty funny/abrasive.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:42 am

Opera!!! WTH? I'm dying to know.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:33 am

JazzOne wrote:Opera!!! WTH? I'm dying to know.

Will post tomorrow. I lost my car keys this afternoon, so I've been dealing with that--and a friend's emo episode!--since 5 pm today. I'm tired and over life :oops: :lol:. I will post a review tomorrow. By then I will have resolved my car key dielmma.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm

So I got bored at work and made tables of the class times by section. After seeing it all displayed that way, I'm really hoping for section 2 (small section A or D would be best).

Section 1 has a ton of long breaks which could be good or bad depending if you would actually use them to study. Section 4 is the only section that always has 3 classes everyday. In sections 2 and 3, you will only have 2 classes on Thursdays (1 for 3B). In section 1, only D has 3 classes on Thurs, the rest have 2.

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in seeing what it looks like, but if you are, I'll email it to you.

nahmorlah

Postby nahmorlah » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:35 pm

penni_rose wrote:So I got bored at work and made tables of the class times by section. After seeing it all displayed that way, I'm really hoping for section 2 (small section A or D would be best).

Section 1 has a ton of long breaks which could be good or bad depending if you would actually use them to study. Section 4 is the only section that always has 3 classes everyday. In sections 2 and 3, you will only have 2 classes on Thursdays (1 for 3B). In section 1, only D has 3 classes on Thurs, the rest have 2.

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in seeing what it looks like, but if you are, I'll email it to you.

I'd be interested in seeing it, if you wouldn't mind.

nahmorlah@gmail.com

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:39 pm

nahmorlah wrote:I'd be interested in seeing it, if you wouldn't mind.

nahmorlah@gmail.com

Don't mind at all. My email address lists my real name, which isn't Penni Rose, so I'll reference TLS in the subject.

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:49 pm

penni_rose wrote:So I got bored at work and made tables of the class times by section. After seeing it all displayed that way, I'm really hoping for section 2 (small section A or D would be best).

Breaks are typically bad for me, as I often just start reading the intertubes instead of studying. But damn it, I don't want to take property or Ks in the first semester. ahhhhh whyyyyyyyy :evil:

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Has anyone been watching Texas domiante in the College World Series?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:32 am

OperaAttorney wrote:

Will post tomorrow. I lost my car keys this afternoon, so I've been dealing with that--and a friend's emo episode!--since 5 pm today. I'm tired and over life :oops: :lol:. I will post a review tomorrow. By then I will have resolved my car key dielmma.

???

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:06 pm

JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

???

Sorry, Jazz. Dinner lasted too long last night. Will try to post something this evening.

great8

Postby great8 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:32 pm

Sorry, Jazz. Dinner lasted too long last night. Will try to post something this evening.[/quote]
Translation: Opera got too wasted with all his Law Preview buddies in celebration of how much more he now knows than the rest of us average 0Ls. Right, Opera? :wink:

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:30 pm

great8 wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Sorry, Jazz. Dinner lasted too long last night. Will try to post something this evening.

Translation: Opera got too wasted with all his Law Preview buddies in celebration of how much more he now knows than the rest of us average 0Ls. Right, Opera? :wink:

On the contrary :lol:. My favorite undergrad prof took me to the 17th Bakery & Cafe in Santa Monica for dinner. I had tabasco honey-glazed grilled chicken with steamed vegetables (green beans, carrots, and brocooli) and mashed sweet potatoes. How healthily yummy!

Truthfully, I've been too tired to write more than several sentences at a time. I hope to write something this evening since I expect to have a shorter evening :lol:.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:33 pm

I hadn't even researched this, but I just noticed how well Texas graduates have done in the Federal Judiciary. Here are rankings on number of graduates serving as judges...

--LinkRemoved--

All Federal Judges: #4 ; 48 judges
Appellate Judges: #7; 8 Judges
District Judges: #4; 32 Judges
Magistrate Judges: #1; 7 Judges

The numbers aren't as great if you calculate rankings proportionate to class size, of course, but they are still very good. Comparing to T14 schools for CoA judges compensating for class size differences, Texas still beats out NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, Northwestern and Duke, while approximately tying with Penn and Cornell.

The numbers are fairly similar, though a decent bit better for Texas, in terms of district judges. I'm not reading too much into this, since I'm assuming that self-selection for Biglaw careers by graduates of these other schools could be a factor in, for example, Columbia's relatively poor performance relative to school ranking. Also note that politics-savvy schools like GULC and GW did far better in placing judges relative to their USNWR rankings, indicating that graduates' choice of field is an important qualifier here.

On the other hand, note that Texas completely blasts similarly ranked UCLA and Vandy out of the water in terms of numbers of judges. If this isn't a quantitative indicator that UT is being given a raw deal by the USNWR rankings, I don't know what is... :)

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 pm

ESC does it again. Good work! ;)

people_dumb

Postby people_dumb » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:27 pm

Esc wrote:I hadn't even researched this, but I just noticed how well Texas graduates have done in the Federal Judiciary. Here are rankings on number of graduates serving as judges...

--LinkRemoved--

The numbers aren't as great if you calculate rankings proportionate to class size, of course, but they are still very good. Comparing to T14 schools for CoA judges compensating for class size differences, Texas still beats out NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, Northwestern and Duke, while approximately tying with Penn and Cornell.

The numbers are fairly similar, though a decent bit better for Texas, in terms of district judges. I'm not reading too much into this, since I'm assuming that self-selection for Biglaw careers by graduates of these other schools could be a factor in, for example, Columbia's relatively poor performance relative to school ranking. Also note that politics-savvy schools like GULC and GW did far better in placing judges relative to their USNWR rankings, indicating that graduates' choice of field is an important qualifier here.

On the other hand, note that Texas completely blasts similarly ranked UCLA and Vandy out of the water in terms of numbers of judges. If this isn't a quantitative indicator that UT is being given a raw deal by the USNWR rankings, I don't know what is... :)

If you strip out lowly magistrate judges, the numbers are still impressive. If you look at the top 20 or so schools when it comes to Magistrate (if you have a burning desire to be a magistrate judge disregard my comments) production, you have such powerhouses as Indiana-Indianapolis, Cleveland State, and Valparaiso (there are other TTT schools). If you just look at the more prestigious Federal District Court and Federal Court of Appeals judges you still do a good job even when compared for proportional student enrollment.

Court of Appeals + District Court judges (based upon a class size similar to UT's):
Cornell: 6.26 + 22.95 = 29.21 (used a multiplier of 2.086)
Georgetown: 9.07 + 24.94 = 34.01 (used a multiplier of .7559)
Texas: 8 + 32 = 40 (multiplier of 1)
UCLA: 6.09 + 13.40 = 19.49 (used a multiplier of 1.218)
Vandy: 6.40 + 27.73 = 34.13 (used a multiplier of 2.133)
USC: 6.11 + 14.27 = 20.38 (used a multiplier of 2.038)

Based upon this Texas has a big advantage. Then you have Vandy ever so slightly ahead of Georgetown. There's a gap and then Cornell. Finally, the two LA based schools do a pretty shitty job in this regard.

Daico

Postby Daico » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:42 am

people_dumb wrote:
Esc wrote:I hadn't even researched this, but I just noticed how well Texas graduates have done in the Federal Judiciary. Here are rankings on number of graduates serving as judges...

--LinkRemoved--

If you strip out lowly magistrate judges, the numbers are still impressive. If you look at the top 20 or so schools when it comes to Magistrate (if you have a burning desire to be a magistrate judge disregard my comments) production, you have such powerhouses as Indiana-Indianapolis, Cleveland State, and Valparaiso (there are other TTT schools). If you just look at the more prestigious Federal District Court and Federal Court of Appeals judges you still do a good job even when compared for proportional student enrollment.

Court of Appeals + District Court judges (based upon a class size similar to UT's):

Based upon this Texas has a big advantage. Then you have Vandy ever so slightly ahead of Georgetown. There's a gap and then Cornell. Finally, the two LA based schools do a pretty shitty job in this regard.

Did you account for the fact that UT has been shrinking its class size the last few years? I can't recall for sure, but they were either 425 or 450 until recently, weren't they?

people_dumb

Postby people_dumb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:00 am

Daico wrote:
people_dumb wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Did you account for the fact that UT has been shrinking its class size the last few years? I can't recall for sure, but they were either 425 or 450 until recently, weren't they?

I used a Texas full-time enrollment of 1,233 (411/class). If Texas has indeed been shrinking its class size then its lead is slighly overstated (still a lead over Vandy, but maybe not a big lead). One thing I did not account for is the fact that Georgetown has PT students, so it is certainly overstated. Depending on the size of the Georgetown PT enrollment, it may be closer to Cornell than it is to Vanderbilt.

It looks like all of the other schools are about right as long as their class sizes have remained relatively stable over the years.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:40 am

I just want to jump in here and say that I think we all understand what's going on here: UT and Vandy, in some respects, outperform Cornell and GULC. Austin and Nashvegas FTW. I'm looking forward to heading up to Austin in a few weeks and checking out the city and hopefully a show or two.

Esc, want to see about getting the full employment lists from UT? We want to see how the rising 3L class is doing this summer. I am waiting for Vandy's list and we'll be publishing it hopefully by next week. Then we can do a comparison about something that might actually matter to prospective students. Not that knowing how many judges are out there is a bad thing... but it's more akin to knowing how many hiring partners are at certain firms, since those individuals will likely take a closer look at people from their schools. Regardless, UT's historic strength in producing quality judges shines through here (at least relative to our peer schools). Good work.

lsatismybitchlover

Postby lsatismybitchlover » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:06 pm

observationalist wrote:I just want to jump in here and say that I think we all understand what's going on here: UT and Vandy, in some respects, outperform Cornell and GULC. Austin and Nashvegas FTW. I'm looking forward to heading up to Austin in a few weeks and checking out the city and hopefully a show or two.

Esc, want to see about getting the full employment lists from UT? We want to see how the rising 3L class is doing this summer. I am waiting for Vandy's list and we'll be publishing it hopefully by next week. Then we can do a comparison about something that might actually matter to prospective students. Not that knowing how many judges are out there is a bad thing... but it's more akin to knowing how many hiring partners are at certain firms, since those individuals will likely take a closer look at people from their schools. Regardless, UT's historic strength in producing quality judges shines through here (at least relative to our peer schools). Good work.

Overkill. Other than that though, good post haha.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:15 pm

lsatismybitchlover wrote:
observationalist wrote:I just want to jump in here and say that I think we all understand what's going on here: UT and Vandy, in some respects, outperform Cornell and GULC. Austin and Nashvegas FTW. I'm looking forward to heading up to Austin in a few weeks and checking out the city and hopefully a show or two.

:lol:

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:

Hey no sweat, it's a local thang. When you see bachelorette parties come up from southern Alabama to limo down the bright lights on Broadway and try their luck with the local single male law student population, you'll understand part of why it got the name. But, continue... just remember I sweep down whenever y'all start namedropping us.

lsatismybitchlover

Postby lsatismybitchlover » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:23 pm

observationalist wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Hey no sweat, it's a local thang. When you see bachelorette parties come up from southern Alabama to limo down the bright lights on Broadway and try their luck with the local single male law student population, you'll understand part of why it got the name. But, continue... just remember I sweep down whenever y'all start namedropping us.

So you're kind of like Candyman then? Nice :)

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:27 pm

observationalist wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

So you're kind of like Candyman then? Nice :)

The reference made awhile ago was like Beetlejuice. Say Vandy three times fast and I appear. But as I told the other Opera (OperaSoprano), I am breaking my addiction to this site and am slowly moving away from defending the good name of my fine TTT17 institution.

I will, however, continue asking people to get employment lists from their schools. Too much conjecture goes on around here, and the lists are an easy way to quash a lot of debate. Consider this my motion to quash.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”