Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JoeShmo

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JoeShmo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:32 pm

What are the out-of-staters doing as far as moving is concerned? I'm coming from Connecticut so I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to furnish my apartment. Hiring a moving truck company to lug my bed and couches down may be more expensive than buying new once I get down there. Any advice? Any current residents know a good furniture store in Austin where I can buy relatively cheap stuff?

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Thanks for the congrats Penni and Esc.

It was an awesome night. A few hours/beers in, I stood by the fire, thanked everyone for coming/putting the event together, and mentioned that the only thing missing was a wedding. At that point, my "wife" snuck out in her dress. I then thanked/singled out my Mom (who was there to take our 4 and 8 year old girls for the rest of the night) and Boss as our "official witnesses" and finally, introduced our friend/Reverend who got ordained for the ceremony. It was a trip.

And Penni, I agree that it's nice to have so many married/committed folks heading to UT. I often feel like an outsider: 30 year old Dad w/three kids, vegan family, heading to law school w/no dreams of "big law" but rather to find a way to help our animal friends, etc. This is one of the reasons I wanted to go to a larger school: more likely to find these somewhat rare commonalities. I truly hope everyone else feels the same. UT love for all :D

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:23 pm

JoeShmo wrote:What are the out-of-staters doing as far as moving is concerned? I'm coming from Connecticut so I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to furnish my apartment. Hiring a moving truck company to lug my bed and couches down may be more expensive than buying new once I get down there. Any advice? Any current residents know a good furniture store in Austin where I can buy relatively cheap stuff?

If you're not picky, buy IKEA furniture. It will fall apart after a few years, but you can furnish a whole apartment for under $2,000. This is what I did when I moved to Boston a few years back. It didn't cost us much to move. By the time we moved back, though, we had bought some furniture that we really liked, so we had to hire a mover. It cost twice as much as buying the furniture from IKEA had and it took three times as long to get our stuff. Moving across country sucks, so my advice is to move as few things as possible. It's what worked best for me.

great8

Postby great8 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm

TheIdiot wrote:Thanks for the congrats Penni and Esc.

It was an awesome night. A few hours/beers in, I stood by the fire, thanked everyone for coming/putting the event together, and mentioned that the only thing missing was a wedding. At that point, my "wife" snuck out in her dress. I then thanked/singled out my Mom (who was there to take our 4 and 8 year old girls for the rest of the night) and Boss as our "official witnesses" and finally, introduced our friend/Reverend who got ordained for the ceremony. It was a trip.

And Penni, I agree that it's nice to have so many married/committed folks heading to UT. I often feel like an outsider: 30 year old Dad w/three kids, vegan family, heading to law school w/no dreams of "big law" but rather to find a way to help our animal friends, etc. This is one of the reasons I wanted to go to a larger school: more likely to find these somewhat rare commonalities. I truly hope everyone else feels the same. UT love for all :D

Congrats "Idiot" - sounds like it was a great time (especially with the Mom babysitting - I LOVE those nights!).

You definitely won't be alone at UT - I'm 31 w/one kid and not necessarily looking at BigLaw, either, so us poor dads will just have to stick together amidst all the big $ pressure that I hear is so prevalent in law schools everywhere. I'm hoping the laid-backness of Austin will help keep us sane :)

Esc

Postby Esc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:49 pm

TheIdiot wrote:Thanks for the congrats Penni and Esc.

That really is an awesome way to do it! Sounds nice and relaxed, without the ton of stress that so many people experience in the clusterfucks that define most experiences with the Wedding-Industrial Complex. :lol:

Longhorn Love FTW!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm a non-trad too. I am 32 with one daughter. I have not been with my daughter's mother for many years. She has since married and has a second child. I have been living with my SO for over two years, and we will be married before August. I am also pretty uninterested in BigLaw. My main beef is with the American tax code. However, my current internship with a District Judge is convincing me that there are far more interesting aspects of the law than tax law offers. I'm glad to have something in common with a few of my classmates, and I hope we can all meet up in August.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Law Preview starts for me today. I'm on a 10-minute break. I'll start a thread this evening so that everyone can poke fun at me. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

great8

Postby great8 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:I'm a non-trad too. I am 32 with one daughter. I have not been with my daughter's mother for many years. She has since married and has a second child. I have been living with my SO for over two years, and we will be married before August. I am also pretty uninterested in BigLaw. My main beef is with the American tax code. However, my current internship with a District Judge is convincing me that there are far more interesting aspects of the law than tax law offers. I'm glad to have something in common with a few of my classmates, and I hope we can all meet up in August.

Let's do it. I'll convince my wife we should grill at our house :wink:

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:37 pm

JoeShmo wrote:What are the out-of-staters doing as far as moving is concerned? I'm coming from Connecticut so I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to furnish my apartment. Hiring a moving truck company to lug my bed and couches down may be more expensive than buying new once I get down there. Any advice? Any current residents know a good furniture store in Austin where I can buy relatively cheap stuff?

Try Furniture Brokers of Westlake @ 4201 Westbank. This is a great high end, low priced consignment store. Also, craigslist is very active in Austin. In addition there are numerous "vintage" stores in SOCO that have great furniture with a little funk and history! Remember all prices can and should be negotiated

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:29 pm

great8 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I'm a non-trad too. I am 32 with one daughter. I have not been with my daughter's mother for many years. She has since married and has a second child. I have been living with my SO for over two years, and we will be married before August. I am also pretty uninterested in BigLaw. My main beef is with the American tax code. However, my current internship with a District Judge is convincing me that there are far more interesting aspects of the law than tax law offers. I'm glad to have something in common with a few of my classmates, and I hope we can all meet up in August.

I'm a non-trad too. I'll bring some chicken seasoned California style ;).

Esc

Postby Esc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:55 pm

OK, I was really bored and too lazy to do something productive, so I went through the tentative schedule again so I could compile a list of classes by section (excluding Legal Research/Writing, which we will all be taking). I figure this could be useful for people who want to start figuring out what faculty they might be taking come August.

"SS" next to class name means small section. Each section should contain 25% of the total class (~100+ students). Small section classes should contain 25% of that, ~25 students. Schedule link is at http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/sao/academics/schedules/099grid.pdf

Section 1

Criminal Law - Goode
Constitutional Law - Powe
Torts SS (A) - Cross
(B) - McGarity
(C) - Stapleton
(D) - Wellborn

Section 2

Torts - Anderson
Contracts - Rau
Civil Procedure SS (A) - Albright
(B) - Albright
(C) - Hansen
(D) - Silver

Section 3

Civil Procedure - Mullenix
Property - Blais
Contracts SS (A) - Kadens
(B) - Litvak
(C) - Sokolow
(D) - Williams

Section 4

Criminal Law - Laurin
Property - Torres
Constitutional Law SS (A) - Farrell
(B) - Perry
(C) - Pursley
(D) - Robertson

Some notes:

No Friday classes for 1Ls. Whee!

Everyone takes Legal Research & Writing early-mid Thursday afternoon.

It seems like they are arranging it so that everyone will be taking either Crim Law with Con Law or CivPro with K's, with Torts and Property being the two classes not "connected" to another class. I suppose this makes sense, as K's is pretty explicitly Civil, while many of the issues in ConLaw will also be CrimLaw issues.

Section 1 starts class earliest on each day, at 8:30 AM. Section 2 starts at 9:13, while Section 3 and 4 don't start until 9:30. Conversely, all sections finish classes at 3:07 PM with the exception of unlucky Small Section 4A, which is in class until 4:37 PM.

Personally, I'm hoping for Section 1B with CrimLaw, ConLaw, and Torts SS with McGarity. I want to avoid property and K's for as long as possible, and while Anderson was cool at ASD mock class, I didn't care too much for what I saw of his teaching style. I'd also like to get to campus before 9:00AM...

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Personally, I'm hoping for Section 1B with CrimLaw, ConLaw, and Torts SS with McGarity. I want to avoid property and K's for as long as possible, and while Anderson was cool at ASD mock class, I didn't care too much for what I saw of his teaching style. I'd also like to get to campus before 9:00AM...

I'm hoping for 2 or 3. I'd like to avoid CrimLaw as long as possible. Don't particularly have a preference between Torts and Property. I guess it doesn't matter, we have to take them all some time, but I'd rather have a vague idea of what I'm doing before getting thrown into CrimLaw.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:24 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
great8 wrote:

I'm not really a non-trad, but I can bring an awesome chicken enchilada soup... or I can make my husband cook something else that will be good.

I'll be 24 next week. I've been out of college 3 years, but I got an M.A. in that time. I've also been married 3 years, which, yes, means I got married young.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:39 pm

penni_rose wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
great8 wrote:

I'm not really a non-trad, but I can bring an awesome chicken enchilada soup... or I can make my husband cook something else that will be good.

I'll be 24 next week. I've been out of college 3 years, but I got an M.A. in that time. I've also been married 3 years, which, yes, means I got married young.

Sounds non-trad to me. But I'm sure all TLS UT students are welcome. Right, Great8? :wink:

great8

Postby great8 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:52 pm

ABSOLUTELY all are welcome - it's a little too early to start discriminating. Let's save that for the end of the first semester when we know who our main competitors are :D

Besides, the wife and I always make too much food when we host, so we're always stuck with leftovers. Not that I mind eating leftovers - we just have only so much room in the fridge....

Opera, how was Law Preview?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Opera,

Where is your Law Preview thread. Link please.

Daico

Postby Daico » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Gosh, suddenly I feel a tad young.

Also, these are some oddly specific class ending times; 1:37? That said, I'd be happy with either section 2 or 3 (and, having said that, I am now consigned to either 1 or 4.)

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:28 pm

great8 wrote:ABSOLUTELY all are welcome - it's a little too early to start discriminating. Let's save that for the end of the first semester when we know who our main competitors are :D

Besides, the wife and I always make too much food when we host, so we're always stuck with leftovers. Not that I mind eating leftovers - we just have only so much room in the fridge....

Opera, how was Law Preview?

I haven't written my LP review yet. We're on our final 15-minute break before the end of Monday's lecture.

Subject: CONTRACTS. Not as boring as I thought it would be. Will CREATE thread this evening.

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Did anyone else get that LOI reminder email, even though you already sent in the LOI and your freshlaw status reflects that? Just checking

davidin

Postby davidin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:05 pm

SoberHobo wrote:Did anyone else get that LOI reminder email, even though you already sent in the LOI and your freshlaw status reflects that? Just checking

Me too

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

I've heard negative things about Robertson for ConLaw. However, DRobertson for Torts is a great time.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:33 pm

SoberHobo wrote:Did anyone else get that LOI reminder email, even though you already sent in the LOI and your freshlaw status reflects that? Just checking

Yes, but Freshlaw says they've received mine.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:39 pm

It looks like Wellborn is 1D Torts. My dad had him in the 70s for Federal Procedure. It was the worst grade he got in law school. Thought that was interesting.

Esc

Postby Esc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:45 pm

penni_rose wrote:It looks like Wellborn is 1D Torts. My dad had him in the 70s for Federal Procedure. It was the worst grade he got in law school. Thought that was interesting.

That is the opposite of encouraging :shock:

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”