Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby penni_rose » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm

great8 wrote:Sorry penni - I shouldn't have said anything, 'cause now I'm hungry too (and, like you, at work and unable to leave).

So maybe we should change topics - am I the only one who doesn't have a UT webmail address yet? I'm sure those of you who went there for undergrad have one already, but for the others - do you have webmail accounts already?


Actually my UT webmail address expired. I don't have a new one yet. In undergrad we got them at orientation, so I imagine we'll probably get them there if not before. I do have an alumni email address, but it's not real it just goes to my gmail.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:35 pm

great8 wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
great8 wrote:Just back from a trip - apparently I missed some meal suggestions....

On a related note, my wife's from down in the Valley (close to the Mexican border) and so has a knack for making some killer guacamole - we'll host a get-together at our house sometime soon after the school year starts and you all can bring your "A" meals. (I can't cook, but can make a mean bowl of cereal.)

Looking forward to putting some faces to those 'tars....


I'm wid it.

I luvvvvvv guacamole. Do you think your wife will mind sharing her recipe???

Not at all - and it's pretty easy. We'll just show you how it's done when you get here - best way to do it is taste-test as you make it :)


I'm so excited. Truly. Cooking is one of my favorite pastimes. Can't wait!

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:36 pm

great8 wrote:Sorry penni - I shouldn't have said anything, 'cause now I'm hungry too (and, like you, at work and unable to leave).

So maybe we should change topics - am I the only one who doesn't have a UT webmail address yet? I'm sure those of you who went there for undergrad have one already, but for the others - do you have webmail accounts already?


No email yet. I'm thinking we'll get them sometime after June 23, when they know who's really coming to Austin.

great8
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby great8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Good - I'm just making sure I'm not the only one, since I was waitlisted before accepted and thus got in so much longer after everyone else here (from what I can tell). I'd hate to start my law school career off behind already :wink:

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm on a cooking spree. This evening I made teriyaki mahi mahi, curried yams, and steamed green beans.

Image

I give this meal a B+/A-, because the teriyaki marinade needs some work. :( It took me less than 1 hr to make everything, though.

User avatar
blackknight
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby blackknight » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Opera if you're looking for someone to try out these recipes to make sure they appeal to the masses I am willing to suck it up and try them for you. I mean I just want you to be the best chef you can be.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:44 pm

blackknight wrote:Opera if you're looking for someone to try out these recipes to make sure they appeal to the masses I am willing to suck it up and try them for you. I mean I just want you to be the best chef you can be.


If my memory serves me correctly, your kitchen in Austin will most probably be better than mine. I'll cook if you buy the groceries. I mean it!

User avatar
blackknight
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby blackknight » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:07 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
blackknight wrote:Opera if you're looking for someone to try out these recipes to make sure they appeal to the masses I am willing to suck it up and try them for you. I mean I just want you to be the best chef you can be.


If my memory serves me correctly, your kitchen in Austin will most probably be better than mine. I'll cook if you buy the groceries. I mean it!


I might have to take you up on that. Hopefully tomorrow I will have an idea of how nice of a kitchen I will be having next year.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:46 am

blackknight wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
blackknight wrote:Opera if you're looking for someone to try out these recipes to make sure they appeal to the masses I am willing to suck it up and try them for you. I mean I just want you to be the best chef you can be.


If my memory serves me correctly, your kitchen in Austin will most probably be better than mine. I'll cook if you buy the groceries. I mean it!


I might have to take you up on that. Hopefully tomorrow I will have an idea of how nice of a kitchen I will be having next year.


Let me know. When I'm in the mood, I make my barbecue sauce from scratch. I like it sweet and hot! Mmmmmm.

great8
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby great8 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Opera - be careful with that talk of BBQ sauce around here - you're likely going to run into more than a few Texans who are VERY proud and defensive of their favorite BBQ joints!

(I'm not one of them, I'm just sayin'....)

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:00 pm

great8 wrote:Opera - be careful with that talk of BBQ sauce around here - you're likely going to run into more than a few Texans who are VERY proud and defensive of their favorite BBQ joints!

(I'm not one of them, I'm just sayin'....)


I know. Believe me, I bow down to Southern cookin'! I'd love to try out some awesome BBQ joints. I wanna learn all the Texan BBQ secrets.

Any suggestions?

nahmorlah
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby nahmorlah » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:41 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
great8 wrote:Opera - be careful with that talk of BBQ sauce around here - you're likely going to run into more than a few Texans who are VERY proud and defensive of their favorite BBQ joints!

(I'm not one of them, I'm just sayin'....)


I know. Believe me, I bow down to Southern cookin'! I'd love to try out some awesome BBQ joints. I wanna learn all the Texan BBQ secrets.

Any suggestions?


Lockhart. Its about 45 minutes from central Austin and has three of the top rated places in Texas. Smitty's (for ribs), Black's (for sausages), and Kreutz's (for brisket) are the three places to go to. Also, there's a place called Snow's about an hour from Austin that was rated number 1 in Texas. However, it is only open on Saturday's.
Last edited by nahmorlah on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:43 pm

As far as UT email goes: You just have to go in and sign up for it on the website. I'd tell you how, but it's been about a month since I've done it so I forget the details, but sign in to freshlaw, go to the bit that's like your personal homepage (My forty acres?) and start poking around and you'll find it. (Sorry I can't be more helpful)

OperaAttorney wrote:
great8 wrote:Opera - be careful with that talk of BBQ sauce around here - you're likely going to run into more than a few Texans who are VERY proud and defensive of their favorite BBQ joints!

(I'm not one of them, I'm just sayin'....)


I know. Believe me, I bow down to Southern cookin'! I'd love to try out some awesome BBQ joints. I wanna learn all the Texan BBQ secrets.

Any suggestions?


Can we just skip ahead and start a sewing circle now? (I'm actually really excited that my new apartment will have a dishwasher. I haven't had one in two years and it puts such a crimp in cooking to know you're going to have to manually clean a gazillion pans.)

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby penni_rose » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:53 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:I know. Believe me, I bow down to Southern cookin'! I'd love to try out some awesome BBQ joints. I wanna learn all the Texan BBQ secrets.

Any suggestions?


Salt Lick (can't remember if it's one word or two) and County Line.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:19 pm

All these BBQ joins in one city? I knew I was going to love Austin. But it sounds as though I'll be in heaven. Except I'll have to spend a lot of time in the gym :(.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:09 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
great8 wrote:Opera - be careful with that talk of BBQ sauce around here - you're likely going to run into more than a few Texans who are VERY proud and defensive of their favorite BBQ joints!

(I'm not one of them, I'm just sayin'....)


I know. Believe me, I bow down to Southern cookin'! I'd love to try out some awesome BBQ joints. I wanna learn all the Texan BBQ secrets.

Any suggestions?


The Salt Lick is a terrific BBQ joint. Terrific.

LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:09 am

All you can eat at Salt Lick + BYOB...fantastic. Great way to spend a Friday or Saturday night!

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:55 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:All you can eat at Salt Lick + BYOB...fantastic. Great way to spend a Friday or Saturday night!


What's BYOB?

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:33 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:All you can eat at Salt Lick + BYOB...fantastic. Great way to spend a Friday or Saturday night!


What's BYOB?


Bring Your Own Beer.

Side note: You seemed surprised by the number of BBQ joints, you've honestly never been to Texas before, have you?

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby penni_rose » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Daico wrote:
Side note: You seemed surprised by the number of BBQ joints, you've honestly never been to Texas before, have you?


I noticed that too. This isn't even the tip of the iceberg. There are tons of BBQ joints around here. We're only listing the ones that are really good.

On a related note, I made BBQ chicken for dinner tonight. It turned out shockingly well given that I can't cook worth anything.

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Zojirushi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:41 pm

penni_rose wrote:
Salt Lick (can't remember if it's one word or two) and County Line.



FTW!

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:02 pm

From Dean Sager, on the UT Law website

There is much more to talk about, but I want to turn to a less academic aspect of the economic downturn. We are relatively lucky: the economic situation in Texas is better than most of the nation; and, on the whole, our students are successful in the job market, even in these hard times. But there is no ducking the fact that the students who walked across the stage in this year’s Sunflower Ceremony are having more trouble finding good jobs. And internships for our 1Ls and 2Ls are becoming scarcer; indeed, Texas Lawyer reports that the big Texas law firms are offering 27% fewer summer associate positions in 2009 as compared to 2008. We need your help with finding opportunities for our students. More specifically, I want to ask you to:

The economy and the employment picture put one other new program at UT Law into the spotlight. Last summer, on an experimental basis, we introduced our Career Launch Program. We offered to students who were not employed as of the time of the bar examination, placements as interns in governmental and public interest law offices for the period between the exam in August and the announcement of the results of the exam in November; and we provided each intern with a $6,000 stipend to help ends meet during that period. About 30 students enrolled in the Career Launch Program, and the results of the experiment were terrific. About half of the students were hired by the employer with whom they were placed in as interns; and almost all of the remaining students, bolstered by their experience and resulting recommendations, found good jobs.

The career launch program now enjoys an endowment, and a new name: The Joe R. and Teresa L. Long Career Launch Program at the UT School of Law. We expect the cost of the program to soar on account of the economy. In all probability, the number of students who participate will double…it could even triple. But for the great generosity of Joe and Terry Long, we couldn’t possibly meet this demand. As it is, we will have to scramble to find the resources to fully fund the program this summer.

Even with the challenges arising from the global economic crisis in which we now find ourselves, this is a wonderful moment at a wonderful law school—at your law school. Nationally, there is a buzz about UT Law. (Indeed, we’ve gone up one spot in the rankings, but I don’t plan to crow about that until we are firmly in the top 10, where we belong!)



Interesting stuff

User avatar
TheIdiot
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby TheIdiot » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Esc wrote:From Dean Sager, on the UT Law website

There is much more to talk about, but I want to turn to a less academic aspect of the economic downturn. We are relatively lucky: the economic situation in Texas is better than most of the nation; and, on the whole, our students are successful in the job market, even in these hard times. But there is no ducking the fact that the students who walked across the stage in this year’s Sunflower Ceremony are having more trouble finding good jobs. And internships for our 1Ls and 2Ls are becoming scarcer; indeed, Texas Lawyer reports that the big Texas law firms are offering 27% fewer summer associate positions in 2009 as compared to 2008. We need your help with finding opportunities for our students. More specifically, I want to ask you to:

The economy and the employment picture put one other new program at UT Law into the spotlight. Last summer, on an experimental basis, we introduced our Career Launch Program. We offered to students who were not employed as of the time of the bar examination, placements as interns in governmental and public interest law offices for the period between the exam in August and the announcement of the results of the exam in November; and we provided each intern with a $6,000 stipend to help ends meet during that period. About 30 students enrolled in the Career Launch Program, and the results of the experiment were terrific. About half of the students were hired by the employer with whom they were placed in as interns; and almost all of the remaining students, bolstered by their experience and resulting recommendations, found good jobs.

The career launch program now enjoys an endowment, and a new name: The Joe R. and Teresa L. Long Career Launch Program at the UT School of Law. We expect the cost of the program to soar on account of the economy. In all probability, the number of students who participate will double…it could even triple. But for the great generosity of Joe and Terry Long, we couldn’t possibly meet this demand. As it is, we will have to scramble to find the resources to fully fund the program this summer.

Even with the challenges arising from the global economic crisis in which we now find ourselves, this is a wonderful moment at a wonderful law school—at your law school. Nationally, there is a buzz about UT Law. (Indeed, we’ve gone up one spot in the rankings, but I don’t plan to crow about that until we are firmly in the top 10, where we belong!)



Interesting stuff



The Career Launch Program sounds pretty neat: less stress for those struggling out of the gates and more love for public interest. On a side note, a bunch of friends threw us a going away party last night and my SO and I turned it into a surprise wedding. So now I am a married idiot :)

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:45 pm

TheIdiot wrote:
Esc wrote:From Dean Sager, on the UT Law website

There is much more to talk about, but I want to turn to a less academic aspect of the economic downturn. We are relatively lucky: the economic situation in Texas is better than most of the nation; and, on the whole, our students are successful in the job market, even in these hard times. But there is no ducking the fact that the students who walked across the stage in this year’s Sunflower Ceremony are having more trouble finding good jobs. And internships for our 1Ls and 2Ls are becoming scarcer; indeed, Texas Lawyer reports that the big Texas law firms are offering 27% fewer summer associate positions in 2009 as compared to 2008. We need your help with finding opportunities for our students. More specifically, I want to ask you to:

The economy and the employment picture put one other new program at UT Law into the spotlight. Last summer, on an experimental basis, we introduced our Career Launch Program. We offered to students who were not employed as of the time of the bar examination, placements as interns in governmental and public interest law offices for the period between the exam in August and the announcement of the results of the exam in November; and we provided each intern with a $6,000 stipend to help ends meet during that period. About 30 students enrolled in the Career Launch Program, and the results of the experiment were terrific. About half of the students were hired by the employer with whom they were placed in as interns; and almost all of the remaining students, bolstered by their experience and resulting recommendations, found good jobs.

The career launch program now enjoys an endowment, and a new name: The Joe R. and Teresa L. Long Career Launch Program at the UT School of Law. We expect the cost of the program to soar on account of the economy. In all probability, the number of students who participate will double…it could even triple. But for the great generosity of Joe and Terry Long, we couldn’t possibly meet this demand. As it is, we will have to scramble to find the resources to fully fund the program this summer.

Even with the challenges arising from the global economic crisis in which we now find ourselves, this is a wonderful moment at a wonderful law school—at your law school. Nationally, there is a buzz about UT Law. (Indeed, we’ve gone up one spot in the rankings, but I don’t plan to crow about that until we are firmly in the top 10, where we belong!)



Interesting stuff



The Career Launch Program sounds pretty neat: less stress for those struggling out of the gates and more love for public interest. On a side note, a bunch of friends threw us a going away party last night and my SO and I turned it into a surprise wedding. So now I am a married idiot :)


You romantic idiot you! Congrats! How did you do it---preacher friend, or midnight courthouse run? :lol:

I really like how UT is showing its graduates the love. I imagine that with the economy our class will have quite a few people struggling to find a job after graduation and before passing the bar, so its very comforting to know that the school has our back. Oh, and I love Sager's top 10 optimism.

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby penni_rose » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 am

TheIdiot wrote:
On a side note, a bunch of friends threw us a going away party last night and my SO and I turned it into a surprise wedding. So now I am a married idiot :)


Congrats, man! Welcome to the club. I'm glad to see that there are so many other blissfully marrieds heading to UT. In my grad program, I was one of two or three married students. It was sort of depressing, because everyone else was desperate to meet someone.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest