Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
de5igual

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby de5igual » Wed May 27, 2009 5:24 pm

great8 wrote:Consider me in! Got off the waitlist via snail mail today - couldn't be more excited to join y'all!!!

Congrats :!:

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed May 27, 2009 7:14 pm

great8 wrote:Consider me in! Got off the waitlist via snail mail today - couldn't be more excited to join y'all!!!

HELL yeah! You're the great8est! Welcome.

great8

Postby great8 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:20 am

Thx to everyone for the congrats and welcome - it still hasn't sunk in yet, but I really am thrilled. (As is my wife, who won't have to divorce me since I now don't have to commute between Austin and Dallas to go to SMU....)

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Thu May 28, 2009 8:50 am

great8 wrote:Thx to everyone for the congrats and welcome - it still hasn't sunk in yet, but I really am thrilled. (As is my wife, who won't have to divorce me since I now don't have to commute between Austin and Dallas to go to SMU....)

Ah, the spouse factor. One of the many reasons UT was really the only option for me.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu May 28, 2009 9:20 am

penni_rose wrote:
great8 wrote:Thx to everyone for the congrats and welcome - it still hasn't sunk in yet, but I really am thrilled. (As is my wife, who won't have to divorce me since I now don't have to commute between Austin and Dallas to go to SMU....)

Ah, the spouse factor. One of the many reasons UT was really the only option for me.

+1

I wanted Northwestern, but the thought of my fiance bitching every day about the weather gives me more chills than lake-effect snow.

great8

Postby great8 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:33 am

penni_rose wrote:

True...Add in the 20-month-old-son-at-home factor as well, and we're all more than a little glad Dean Ingram was kind to me :D

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 am

great8 wrote:
penni_rose wrote:

True...Add in the 20-month-old-son-at-home factor as well, and we're all more than a little glad Dean Ingram was kind to me :D

Have you met Ms. Ingram? When I showed up for ASW, my fiance and I had been caught in a nasty downpour. We walked into the admissions office looking like a couple wet noodles. Ms. Ingram not only took me to the auditorium where the admitted students were gathering, but she also helped my fiance dry off, and she took my fiance down to the coffee shop to wait for me. I found the admissions staff (Ms. Ingram and Ms. Peppas) to be very professional and friendly.

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu May 28, 2009 10:26 am

+2 on the UT works for spouse thing. I sure didn't want to break up a happy long term relationship just to go to law school :shock:

Oh, and all the admissions staff at UT are indeed awesome. Everybody is so effing friendly

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Thu May 28, 2009 10:42 am

The ASW was on like the worst possible weekend weather-wise. I hope that didn't detour people that weren't familiar with the Austin weather. I didn't go to ASW (I went to UT at UT Law instead), but as I was driving to work that morning, I wondered how much the weather would impact people visiting.

great8

Postby great8 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am

JazzOne wrote:
great8 wrote:
penni_rose wrote:

Have you met Ms. Ingram? When I showed up for ASW, my fiance and I had been caught in a nasty downpour. We walked into the admissions office looking like a couple wet noodles. Ms. Ingram not only took me to the auditorium where the admitted students were gathering, but she also helped my fiance dry off, and she took my fiance down to the coffee shop to wait for me. I found the admissions staff (Ms. Ingram and Ms. Peppas) to be very professional and friendly.

Yes, I've met her a couple of times, on a couple of separate stop-ins in the admissions office. +1 on Esc's view of the staff there - very friendly. My tour guide (a 2L) was extremely nice, and the first person I met there (receptionist? is that the right word?) was very helpful as well. She let me sit in the office for about an hour, looking over PS's from previous admits, as I prepared to start the app process.

All the more reason to look forward to August....

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu May 28, 2009 11:11 am

great8 wrote:looking over PS's from previous admits, as I prepared to start the app process.

:shock:

great8

Postby great8 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 am

f0bolous wrote:
great8 wrote:looking over PS's from previous admits, as I prepared to start the app process.

Why the :shock: ?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu May 28, 2009 11:28 am

great8 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Why the :shock: ?

i just feel so [irrationally] exposed now

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Thu May 28, 2009 11:30 am

I looked through the PS file too. There are no identifying features or anything. Names and schools referenced were always blacked out. In a few cases, they even blacked out cities.

great8

Postby great8 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:31 am

penni_rose wrote:I looked through the PS file too. There are no identifying features or anything. Names and schools referenced were always blacked out. In a few cases, they even blacked out cities.

True story. No worries, f0b - your deepest, darkest, innermost secrets will still remain yours :)

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu May 28, 2009 12:29 pm

I haven't updated the official unofficial TLS Class List in a while, so here goes. Thank you to everyone for all the PMs telling me to get my ass in order and update :wink:

Our list has grown to about 30 people, so approximately 7% of the total Class of 2012 are active, non-lurking members on TLS. We better be careful about what we say on here :lol:

Updated UT Law Class of 2012. As always, PM me for corrections and/or updates.

aaa111
almostset
ArthurDayne
art vandelay
blackknight
brittanyfowler
Camm
Catch22
davidin
Daico
Esc
great8
jaxon05
JazzOne
JoeShmo
joesrevenge
longhornnyc
lsatismybitchlover
mlloyd
nahmorlah
Never knows best
OperaAttorney
penni_rose
semperfi1860
SoberHobo
SSDD
Tacitus
TheIdiot
txag_09
Ziggy

Updated to add someone who PMd me.
Last edited by Esc on Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu May 28, 2009 1:48 pm

great8 wrote:
penni_rose wrote:I looked through the PS file too. There are no identifying features or anything. Names and schools referenced were always blacked out. In a few cases, they even blacked out cities.

True story. No worries, f0b - your deepest, darkest, innermost secrets will still remain yours :)

I sure hope mine doesn't end up in that file.

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu May 28, 2009 1:52 pm

JazzOne wrote:
great8 wrote:

Gah. Me either. I will never let anyone else see my PS :?

By the way, this here beauty, a recent purchase of mine, is the reason that I will make Law Review

--ImageRemoved--

QUALITY CAFFIIIIINNNE!!!!! :D :o :twisted: 8) :mrgreen:

great8

Postby great8 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
great8 wrote:

By the way, this here beauty, a recent purchase of mine, is the reason that I will make Law Review

--ImageRemoved--

I suppose it's too much to hope that there will be a source of cheap, quality caffeine on campus that I can rely on so I don't have to make it at home every morning....

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu May 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
great8 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

I didn't want to bring up law review, but since you did...

Do you know how FDR tried to pack the supreme court? Well, I propose that we pack law review with TLSers. Total TLS domination.

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu May 28, 2009 2:19 pm

It didn't work for FDR, but I bet it would work for us. I haven't been keeping track, but it seems that a very high proportion of TLSers have received prestigious/large scholarships (Chancellor's, Townes-Rice, Townes-Hall, etc), leading me to believe that a large number, if not most, of the "top" UT students of our class, as judged by entering LSAT/GPA, are on these forums.

Given the poor correlation between LSAT/GPA and law school performance, there are no guarantees, but actually, I'd be surprised if TLS didn't pack onto law review :shock:

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Thu May 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Well, damn. My chances at Law Review are shot. I recently gave up all forms of caffeine. Of course, I might be convinced to fall off the wagon once school starts...

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu May 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Give in to the caffine. Do not resist!

If you are serious about staying away from coffee, you better not study with me. I can mix up a latte that will make your eyeballs explode with hyperenergized goodness.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Thu May 28, 2009 3:14 pm

I'm pretty that sort of latte would actually kill me right now.

longhornnyc

Postby longhornnyc » Thu May 28, 2009 3:47 pm

To those of you who are interested in law review, can you explain what about it appeals to you? I am still pretty ignorant on the subject. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would be editing (checking facts, citations, etc...) the writing of professors?

I understand that it is a prestigious honor, but in what ways do Law Review members leverage that? Is my understanding correct that is is especially important for anyone interested in academia or clerking? How important is it to private sector firms, government jobs, and public interest? What year(s) does one participate in Law Review? How many hours per week does it take up?

Further, what advantages, if any, come with signing on to one of the less prestigious journals? Do those benefits parallel those of Law Review?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”