Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaAttorney

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:52 pm

JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
Going out isn't a big thing for me, as I neither drink nor smoke. I do enjoy shooting pool, though, so I might occasionally endure smoke-laden air to shoot a few rounds. I intend to balance Austin with law school by exercising (indoor/outdoor), cooking, and meditating. If I have my way, I'll have my own place, with a nice kitchen. I'm still trying to create a super healthy yet tasty recipe for macNcheese. :lol:

+1

Instead of spending money on 6th St., my fiance and I are going to rent a big house with a yard for our dogs and a big kitchen for some home cooking. Fellow TLSers are welcome to stop by for my own gourmet pizzas, made from scratch. (Said pizzas were mentioned in my PS and probably account for my scholarship.)

Are TLSers who reject an originalist interpretation of the US constitution welcome? :lol: Hahahaha

Of course! I haven't even formulated my own position on this issue. It's amazing how out of touch I feel as a science major. I know a whole lot about chemistry and biology but shamefully little about history and government. I'm working on that.

That's good to know. Because I kinda like pizza. My favorite toppings? Mushrooms, olives, green bell peppers, and chicken. What are yours?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:13 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:That's good to know. Because I kinda like pizza. My favorite toppings? Mushrooms, olives, green bell peppers, and chicken. What are yours?

Meat and cheese. I use a lot of exotic cheeses in my pizzas. For the meat topping, I always go with pepperoni, but I also like mushrooms and peppers. I don't care for onions. I also occasionally mix grated parmesan into the flour before I make the dough. The real secret of a good pizza (IMO) is the tomato sauce. Tomatoes can be a bit tart, so I like to sweeten the sauce (thought I haven't quite perfected the sauce recipe just yet). The best thing about my pizza is the dough. I let it rise for more than two hours before I bake the pie.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 pm

JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:That's good to know. Because I kinda like pizza. My favorite toppings? Mushrooms, olives, green bell peppers, and chicken. What are yours?

Meat and cheese. I use a lot of exotic cheeses in my pizzas. For the meat topping, I always go with pepperoni, but I also like mushrooms and peppers. I don't care for onions. I also occasionally mix grated parmesan into the flour before I make the dough. The real secret of a good pizza (IMO) is the tomato sauce. Tomatoes can be a bit tart, so I like to sweeten the sauce (thought I haven't quite perfected the sauce recipe just yet). The best thing about my pizza is the dough. I let it rise for more than two hours before I bake the pie.

This sounds good, Jazz. You better be careful! You might have too many TLS pizza parties at your house this fall. :lol:

You're right about the tomato sauce. I don't like tart tomato sauce on a pizza.

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Should not have read this while hungry at work...

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:50 pm

mlloyd wrote:Should not have read this while hungry at work...

Tell me about it! I haven't had homemade pizza in ages.

ArthurDayne

Postby ArthurDayne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:53 pm

Just wanted to say that as of now, I will be attending Texas Law for the class of 2012. Final decision was between Duke and Texas, and Texas was free! Still a tough decision, but I think I will be quite happy in Texas for the next three years. ASD was my first trip to Texas ever, and I loved what I saw of Austin. I'm most recently from Florida, about to graduate from the University of Florida, but have lived almost exclusively east coast all of my life- Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama (with the notable exception of Alaska). Heres to a UT-UF title game next year!

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Welcome, AD!

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:44 am

This might have been asked somewhere already, but does anyone know how the 1L course scheduling is supposed to work out? Do you get to pick classes and schedules, or do you just wake up one morning with a selection?

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:47 am

I believe you wake up with a selection. :oops:

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:17 pm

And a stranger next to you....a bunch of strangers, in fact.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Esc wrote:And a stranger next to you....a bunch of strangers, in fact.

...and wondering how many of your classmates are on TLS.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:48 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:

We have about 25 people confirmed for the Class of 2012 on here, as well as an unspecified number of lurkers, so at least 6% of our class is on TLS

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

We have about 25 people confirmed for the Class of 2012 on here, as well as an unspecified number of lurkers, so at least 6% of our class is on TLS

Awesome!

I meant to write "and wondering which of your classmates are on TLS." :lol: After all, some of us may choose not to play "TLS connection" once school begins.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Considering how online personas and real life personas are often completely different, I bet it might not be as easy as some people think. Anyone who finds out enough personal info about me in real life and then goes back to read my forum posts would be able to figure out who I am, but I bet I would surprise most of y'all by how much less gregarious/social I am in person.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Esc wrote:Considering how online personas and real life personas are often completely different, I bet it might not be as easy as some people think. Anyone who finds out enough personal info about me in real life and then goes back to read my forum posts would be able to figure out who I am, but I bet I would surprise most of y'all by how much less gregarious/social I am in person.

are you in the facebook group esc? i tried looking for a guy with an eyepatch, but couldn't find him

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:17 pm

No. I'm no longer on Facebook. I deactivated my account when they tried to claim everyone's content as their property for all eternity.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Esc wrote: Anyone who finds out enough personal info about me in real life and then goes back to read my forum posts would be able to figure out who I am, but I bet I would surprise most of y'all by how much less gregarious/social I am in person.

Same here. I'm a black guy who loves opera. Anyone who spends enough time around me will make the connection. :lol:

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:Considering how online personas and real life personas are often completely different, I bet it might not be as easy as some people think. Anyone who finds out enough personal info about me in real life and then goes back to read my forum posts would be able to figure out who I am, but I bet I would surprise most of y'all by how much less gregarious/social I am in person.

Same here. I'm a black guy who loves opera. Anyone who spends enough time around me will make the connection. :lol:

I plan to camp out in the lobby with a subwoofer and a Verdi CD and see which black guys come over to discuss the lyrical style of Rigoletto. Yes, I just picked a random composer and composition off of Wiki. No, I don't know anything about Opera.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

I plan to camp out in the lobby with a subwoofer and a Verdi CD and see which black guys come over to discuss the lyrical style of Rigoletto. Yes, I just picked a random composer and composition off of Wiki. No, I don't know anything about Opera.

I would so fall for it, Esc. Can you believe I just listened to "Caro nome" from Rigoletto a few minutes ago? (You must be spying on me :evil: ) You should know, however, that IL TROVATORE is my favorite Verdi opera.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:You should know, however, that IL TROVATORE is my favorite Verdi opera.

*Blank, uncomprehending, glassy-eyed stare*

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Has anyone looked at the 1L Grade Distributions for Fall 2008?

CIV PRO (4 small sections, 1 large lecture)

11 A+s, 29 As, 34 A-s, 54 B+s, 26 Bs, 38 B-s, 11 C+s, 5 Cs

Notes: The small-section profs--with the exception of C. Silver, who awarded 2 A+s--awarded only 1 A+. P. Hansen's section performed the best (grades ranged from B- to A+).

CON LAW 1 (4 small sections, 1 large lecture)

7 A+s, 34 As, 41 A-s, 43 B+s, 32 Bs, 23 B-s, 14 C+s, 5 Cs, 1 D

Notes: Of the small-section profs, Steiker, who co-directs the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic, awarded the most grades in the A range: 1 A+, 3 As, and 9 A-s. And he only awarded 2 B+s! Who wants Steiker for ConLaw? :lol:

CONTRACTS (2 large lectures, 1 slightly larger lecture)

13 A+s, 49 As, 40 A-s, 95 B+s, 56 Bs, 30 B-s, 16 C+s, 2 Cs, 1 D, 1 F

Notes: All 3 profs are stingy with their A+s, no matter how you look at it. Contracts blows. :oops:

CRIM LAW 1 (4 small sections, 2 large lectures)
16 A+s, 48 As, 48 A-s, 75 B+s, 48 Bs, 37 B-s, 17 C+s, 5 Cs, 1 D, 1 F

Notes: With the exception of Jinks, the small-section profs gave at least 1 A+. Still, Jinks's class fared better than the others (grade distribution: 3 As, 7 A-s, 7 B+s, 3 Bs, and 5 B-s). Klein did not play when grading his small section--he awarded every grade possible! :cry:

PROPERTY (1 large lecture)

4 A+s, 16 As, 19 A-s, 31 B+s, 16 Bs, 7 B-s, 6 C+s, 4 Cs, 1 D

TORTS (4 small sections)

6 A+s, 16 As, 15 A-s, 21 B+s, 20 Bs, 12 B-s, 6 C+s, 1 C

Notes: Both Avraham and Stapleton awarded 2 A+s, 4 As, 3 A-s. F. Cross awarded 3 As, 6 A-s. McGarty awarded 2 A+s, 5 As, 3 A-s. Avraham did not award grades lower than a B-; the others awarded 2 C+s per section, with McGarity including 1 C :oops: .

Thoughts, anyone?
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:You should know, however, that IL TROVATORE is my favorite Verdi opera.

*Blank, uncomprehending, glassy-eyed stare*

But you wiki-ed Rigoletto! :lol:

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 pm

Regarding the stats, since all the professors have to grade at or close to the curve, and especially since you don't choose your 1L profs, there isn't much point in analyzing the grade distribution. However, what I do find interesting is that neither Contracts nor Property had any small sections.

Your diligent research has inspired me to browse the tentative Fall 2009 class schedule.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/sao/academics/schedules/099grid.pdf lists the following:

This is what I have found:

Civil Procedure: 4 small sections, 1 large lecture
Con Law: 4 small sections, 1 large lecture
Contracts: 4 small sections, 1 large lecture
Criminal Law: 2 large lectures
Property: 2 large lectures
Torts: 4 small sections, 1 large lecture

If I am reading this schedule correctly, and if it does not change, then it would appear that for the Class of 2012, everyone will take their (fall only) 1L small section class in one of Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts, or Torts. There will be no small sections in Property or Crim Law.

Interesting info. I'm hoping for small section Con Law, personally.

Oh, and as regards Verdi, you don't think I actually read the wiki article, do you?

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Good find, Esc!

I don't care what small section I'm thrown in. I'm inclined to wish for ConLaw, but part of me wants to explore uncharted territory in my small section. Torts sounds fascinating and complicated. I've heard horror stories about CivPro, yet I wonder if I'll find the structure endearing. Contracts just sounds dry.

Anyway, this morning I ran into a gal from undergrad who's a 1L at UCLA. She made law review recently and loves law school. Her fav class last semester was CivPro. Go figure.

One more thing: I like that our 6 required 1L courses are split evenly between semesters. For a fall 1L semester, 3 courses + Legal Writing/Research suits me just fine. Some schools split them 4-2.

JoeShmo

Postby JoeShmo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 am

OperaAttorney wrote:Good find, Esc!

I don't care what small section I'm thrown in. I'm inclined to wish for ConLaw, but part of me wants to explore uncharted territory in my small section. Torts sounds fascinating and complicated. I've heard horror stories about CivPro, yet I wonder if I'll find the structure endearing. Contracts just sounds dry.

Anyway, this morning I ran into a gal from undergrad who's a 1L at UCLA. She made law review recently and loves law school. Her fav class last semester was CivPro. Go figure.

One more thing: I like that our 6 required 1L courses are split evenly between semesters. For a fall 1L semester, 3 courses + Legal Writing/Research suits me just fine. Some schools split them 4-2.

My friend who's a 1L there now says ConLaw is by far his worst class. The cases, since they are so old, are extremely bland and the language is difficult to comprehend at times. Personally, I'm hoping for Torts.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”