Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Esc

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:34 pm

mlloyd wrote:
Thanks guys. I was starting to get a little worried about how I would fit into a "texas must secede" milieu. The background you've given has kind of made sense of some of this pre-election ruckus.

I plan on visiting Austin soon to see the UT campus and plan out where I might be living come august. Can anyone familiar with the Austin area give any advice as to which residential areas tend to be quiet and mellow and which are closer to the boisterous night life as I would strongly prefer the former...

I'm by no means an expert and all my knowledge is second-hand but here's what I've been told:

The Hyde Park and Far West areas are the more peaceful and decently priced ones. Far West is older, further away and cheaper. Hyde Park is closer to the law school but a bit more expensive.

West End (West Campus? I know there's a "West" in there) is the boisterous part. Supposedly a lot of frats around there and undergrads. I won't say much more because I don't know much else about it and you obviously wouldn't be as interested in that part.

Riverside is not to be lived in. Sketchy place.

These are all the "communities" I know of. None of them are in the downtown area which would be pricey to say the least for a good place.

For what it's worth, I'll likely be living in Far West.

I heartily recommend Far West. This is my neck of the woods, and I am very satisfied with the area. Aside from the bus, there are some very bike-friendly roads that lead from Far West to the campus in a pretty easy 4-5 mile bicycle ride. I plan on trying to bike to school when possible to keep in shape.

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 pm

I've been lazy lately, but here it is.....(drum roll)

Newly released Updated Texas Class of 2012 List!

aaa111
art vandelay
brittanyfowler
Camm
Catch22
Esc
JazzOne
JoeShmo
joesrevenge
longhornnyc
lsatismybitchlover
mlloyd
nahmorlah
Never knows best
semperfi1860
SoberHobo
SSDD
Tacitus
TheIdiot
txag_09

As always, PM me with corrections and additions.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Just spoke to my UT alumnus connection. Loved the guy. Great energy, great story, great everything! I'm definitely sold on UT. It would take a miracle--something incredible would have to happen with my pending applications--to sway me at this point.

semperfi1860

Postby semperfi1860 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:Just spoke to my UT alumnus connection. Loved the guy. Great energy, great story, great everything! I'm definitely sold on UT. It would take a miracle--something incredible would have to happen with my pending applications--to sway me at this point.

Mind sharing some of the main points? I doubt I'll get a WL-Accept but if I do, the more information the better.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 pm

semperfi1860 wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Just spoke to my UT alumnus connection. Loved the guy. Great energy, great story, great everything! I'm definitely sold on UT. It would take a miracle--something incredible would have to happen with my pending applications--to sway me at this point.

Mind sharing some of the main points? I doubt I'll get a WL-Accept but if I do, the more information the better.

Well, we didn't talk that long. He was leaving the gym, I was heading to the gym. I think they matched us because we're both gay and could connect on that level. He now works as a government attorney in DC. (He does foreign policy work and loves it.) Before switching to policy work, he practiced civil litigation at a V50 firm in DC.

He loved his experience at UT and spoke highly of the faculty, which he considers to be among the best there is. Having taken courses both as a grad student at Columbia and as an employee at Harvard's KSG, he gave UT's professors an unqualified recommendation. At these other schools, he claimed, the professors with rock star status are often horrible in the classroom and unavailable outside the classroom. (A friend who graduates from YLS this May expressed the same concern.) He admitted that UT has its share of rock-star professors, but asserted that the institution emphasizes teaching--and a significant portion of professors demonstrate their commitment to teaching their students--in a way that many other top schools do not.

He raved about UT's clinics, especially the Immigration Clinic. Professor Barbara Hinds(?), whom he loves and praises, taught it when he was there. There's a movie about some of her work. I can't remember the name; he says it should be released sometime this spring. He also acknowledged UT's dominance in the area of oil and energy law: Because UT is the energy hub of the US, its oil and energy laws are the most developed. In fact, many Middle Eastern countries base their oil and energy laws on the Texas code. So, a law student looking to specialize/practice in this area would be at an advantage at UT.

He enjoyed living in Austin. He felt comfortable as a gay male--the liberal atmosphere was almost intoxicating. Austin has great food, great people (even beautiful people), and affordable real estate. He's in DC because of the work he does. He has several friends at different DC firms, as well as firms in CA, NY, and other major metropolitan areas. Yes, the UT degree is strongest in TX; however, it travels well enough, especially if you do well in your class. He's done well so far even though he didn't graduate at the top of his class :).

I could write more, but it would help to have specific questions. I can even forward them to him; he's great at emailing. I'm about to leave STARBUCKS, so I'm "scribbling" this before I jet. I apologize in advance for any errors. I don't have time to edit this.

Hope this helps.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:He enjoyed living in Austin. He felt comfortable as a gay male--the liberal atmosphere was almost intoxicating. Austin has great food, great people (even beautiful people)

that is important

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:03 am

f0bolous wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:He enjoyed living in Austin. He felt comfortable as a gay male--the liberal atmosphere was almost intoxicating. Austin has great food, great people (even beautiful people)

that is important

but I'm leaving so you might as well take that part off. :wink:

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:43 am

chadstew55 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

that is important

but I'm leaving so you might as well take that part off. :wink:

:lol:

I wanna see a pic!

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:55 am

:?:
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:29 am

whataboutbahb wrote:I would do unforgivable things to get off their WL....

Anyone happen to have any information on know how deep it is right now and how much they are going to reach into it?

I can try to ask tomorrow because I'll be at the law school for an undergrad class. I'll tell you how it goes. I doubt they'll tell me anything, though.
OperaAttorney wrote::lol:

I wanna see a pic!
haha, I'm kidding. I'm pretty mediocre.

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:12 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
semperfi1860 wrote:

Well, we didn't talk that long. He was leaving the gym, I was heading to the gym. I think they matched us because we're both gay and could connect on that level. He now works as a government attorney in DC. (He does foreign policy work and loves it.) Before switching to policy work, he practiced civil litigation at a V50 firm in DC.

He loved his experience at UT and spoke highly of the faculty, which he considers to be among the best there is. Having taken courses both as a grad student at Columbia and as an employee at Harvard's KSG, he gave UT's professors an unqualified recommendation. At these other schools, he claimed, the professors with rock star status are often horrible in the classroom and unavailable outside the classroom. (A friend who graduates from YLS this May expressed the same concern.) He admitted that UT has its share of rock-star professors, but asserted that the institution emphasizes teaching--and a significant portion of professors demonstrate their commitment to teaching their students--in a way that many other top schools do not.

He raved about UT's clinics, especially the Immigration Clinic. Professor Barbara Hinds(?), whom he loves and praises, taught it when he was there. There's a movie about some of her work. I can't remember the name; he says it should be released sometime this spring. He also acknowledged UT's dominance in the area of oil and energy law: Because UT is the energy hub of the US, its oil and energy laws are the most developed. In fact, many Middle Eastern countries base their oil and energy laws on the Texas code. So, a law student looking to specialize/practice in this area would be at an advantage at UT.

He enjoyed living in Austin. He felt comfortable as a gay male--the liberal atmosphere was almost intoxicating. Austin has great food, great people (even beautiful people), and affordable real estate. He's in DC because of the work he does. He has several friends at different DC firms, as well as firms in CA, NY, and other major metropolitan areas. Yes, the UT degree is strongest in TX; however, it travels well enough, especially if you do well in your class. He's done well so far even though he didn't graduate at the top of his class :).

I could write more, but it would help to have specific questions. I can even forward them to him; he's great at emailing. I'm about to leave STARBUCKS, so I'm "scribbling" this before I jet. I apologize in advance for any errors. I don't have time to edit this.

Hope this helps.

That's great news to hear about UT Law alumni doing so well. With all of the debt I am about to rack up, it's definitely encouraging to hear stories like this one.
Last edited by SSDD on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:17 am

I heartily recommend Far West. This is my neck of the woods, and I am very satisfied with the area. Aside from the bus, there are some very bike-friendly roads that lead from Far West to the campus in a pretty easy 4-5 mile bicycle ride. I plan on trying to bike to school when possible to keep in shape.

Since you're familiar with the area. Are there any apartments you recommend?

Probably more importantly for me, have you heard or do you know anything about Juniper Springs? I'll likely be living there.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 am

Those of you who are familiar with Austin, please advise me.

I plan to move into my Austin residence on August 1. My fiance is coming with me, along with our two dogs. I need to find a house or duplex with a fenced yard. I also require a double garage or covered parking (lots of $$ invested in our vehicles). Those are some pretty specific requirements, and I fear that I will have trouble finding what I'm looking for. Even if I do find it, I might get stuck paying for a large house when we really only need one or two bedrooms. Or I might end up living too far from campus. I found a nice place in Hyde Park, but who knows if it will still be available at the end of the summer. If anyone knows of a rental matching my description, please give me the contact information for the renter. I am also open to suggestions as to where I should look for such a rental without spending a fortune.

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:08 pm

mlloyd wrote:

Since you're familiar with the area. Are there any apartments you recommend?

Probably more importantly for me, have you heard or do you know anything about Juniper Springs? I'll likely be living there.

I looked at Juniper Springs. The model room was quite nice, but another room looked older and not nearly as attractive....but still functional and lots of space for the price. I recommend taking a look at The Ridge and Oak Ridge. Both are decent, but as with any apartment, it is the individual room that will make or break the deal.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:24 pm

OperaAttorney wrote::lol:

I wanna see a pic!
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:59 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:Any luck? Appreciate you asking about it. When I visited I was too chicken to ask questions about the WL.

well I had nothing to lose since I withdrew a few days ago... but they gave me the regular spiel about how the waitlist wasn't in any order and they didn't know exacts about how many people would get off of it. It seemed like she suggested that a lot of people missed the deposit deadline but they were being lenient about getting the deposits in on time(overheard from her over the phone w/ somebody else), and I figure that means it will take them a week or so to get their first assessment of how many are going to put down the first deposit and start looking into the waitlist. Apparently there are a little over 200 or so files on the waitlist as of now, though.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:24 am

Ok guys. So, I am posting this here since some of you may be in the Austin area and know it better than I do.

What is the best place to buy a suit at Austin? I will need it tailored pretty well too since I am an awkward size and it is difficult for me to find something that just fits. My budget is around 1k, but obviously if I could get it cheaper, then that would be optimal. Is Brooks Bros in Round Rock my best shot? Do they even tailor there since it is an outlet store (it is an outlet store, right)? Are there other smaller tailors that make custom suits etc.. somewhere in Austin that are good? Thanks guys.

joesrevenge

Postby joesrevenge » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:34 pm

joseph a bank. That place has many sales a year. Check online for the timing of the sales

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:40 pm

joesrevenge wrote:joseph a bank. That place has many sales a year. Check online for the timing of the sales

currently have a buy 1 get 2 free for suits. pretty good deal, imo.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 pm

f0bolous wrote:
joesrevenge wrote:joseph a bank. That place has many sales a year. Check online for the timing of the sales

I was also thinking about hitting up Jos. Bank for that deal. Here's the problem. The suits are a loss leader. Sure, you get a great deal on 3 suits, but you need shirts, a couple pair of shoes, some socks, belts, and maybe a few ties. The accessories will cost you. I intend to buy the suits on sale from Men's Warehouse or Jos. A. Bank, but then I'm going to wait for something else to come along before I buy the rest.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:58 pm

JazzOne wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

I was also thinking about hitting up Jos. Bank for that deal. Here's the problem. The suits are a loss leader. Sure, you get a great deal on 3 suits, but you need shirts, a couple pair of shoes, some socks, belts, and maybe a few ties. The accessories will cost you. I intend to buy the suits on sale from Men's Warehouse or Jos. A. Bank, but then I'm going to wait for something else to come along before I buy the rest.

Which brands should I be looking at? Does it matter?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:00 pm

JazzOne wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

but u can get the suits w/o buying the accessories right? i mean, if you're going to get the accessories/shirts, you're going to get them regardless of whether the suits were on sale.

too bad for chad that the sale is for online only and only come in off-the-rack sizes. maybe you can get them tailored later? might be worth it still

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:06 pm

f0bolous wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

but u can get the suits w/o buying the accessories right? i mean, if you're going to get the accessories/shirts, you're going to get them regardless of whether the suits were on sale.

too bad for chad that the sale is for online only and only come in off-the-rack sizes. maybe you can get them tailored later? might be worth it still

I wish I knew more about it. I might just get the 2 for 1 at Men's Warehouse if it comes with tailoring. Perhaps you can get shirts and ties cheaper or on sale somewhere else. That was my point. Don't let the cost of the suits skew your thinking and spend too much on shirts.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:19 pm

I've heard that Jos. A. Bank has some pretty good no-iron shirts. Does anyone know if this is true? Or does everyone sell no-iron shirts? The reason I ask is, when I bought my one and only suit a couple years ago at Men's Wearhouse, I, knowing nothing, trusted the sales rep enough to buy the two shirts that he recommended.

Now, this sales rep was, how shall I say, a fattie. He was obviously of the philosophy that all slim, trim young'ins like myself would balloon to an obscene size just as he had, so he recommended that I buy a suit and shirts that were way too big for me. Although I was wise enough to get a different suit, one that fits, I was not knowledgable enough to successfully pick out shirts in my size. Thus, the only dress shirts I have are crazy oversized. I need some new shirts desperately, and am accepting all recommendations for where to go to buy some new ones. :?

txag_09

Postby txag_09 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:24 am

Esc wrote:I've heard that Jos. A. Bank has some pretty good no-iron shirts. Does anyone know if this is true? Or does everyone sell no-iron shirts? The reason I ask is, when I bought my one and only suit a couple years ago at Men's Wearhouse, I, knowing nothing, trusted the sales rep enough to buy the two shirts that he recommended.

Now, this sales rep was, how shall I say, a fattie. He was obviously of the philosophy that all slim, trim young'ins like myself would balloon to an obscene size just as he had, so he recommended that I buy a suit and shirts that were way too big for me. Although I was wise enough to get a different suit, one that fits, I was not knowledgable enough to successfully pick out shirts in my size. Thus, the only dress shirts I have are crazy oversized. I need some new shirts desperately, and am accepting all recommendations for where to go to buy some new ones. :?

Jos. A Bank has some awesome shirts, but can be pricey. If you want a better bargain, wait for the next sale at Dillard's (they take place regularly) and stock up on dress shirts there. Any brand, save Roundtree and Yorke (Dillard's crappy in-house brand), ought to work out great. Sales reps at either place should be more than willing to size you into a good shirt. I highly recommend both places for suits too (Bank slightly more so).

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”