Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Esc

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:34 pm

prelaw wrote:After visiting schools on the coasts, I am still really unsure about my decision. I know I will settle in Texas after law school, and I'm sort of worried about bias towards UT grads in hiring here in Texas. What do yall think? I've heard anecdotal evidence on both sides of the issue. Also, it looks like my sibling might be having kids soon so it'd be nice to be just 80 miles away. I still have a full ride at UT, but as yall know the deadline is April 15. So Darrow or UT?

No one with a fully scholly to both Texas and Mich will have any trouble getting a job in Texas.

Do you want to be cold for 3 years?

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Esc wrote:
prelaw wrote:After visiting schools on the coasts, I am still really unsure about my decision. I know I will settle in Texas after law school, and I'm sort of worried about bias towards UT grads in hiring here in Texas. What do yall think? I've heard anecdotal evidence on both sides of the issue. Also, it looks like my sibling might be having kids soon so it'd be nice to be just 80 miles away. I still have a full ride at UT, but as yall know the deadline is April 15. So Darrow or UT?

No one with a fully scholly to both Texas and Mich will have any trouble getting a job in Texas.

Do you want to be cold for 3 years?

That's comforting. I'm assuming the same applies for Columbia grads. I don't want to be cold, but I've been told I'll survive. As long as I know I can still get a job in Texas, I'm ok with trying something new for 3 years. Although it does beg the question, why leave? UT would place me well.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Mich, Columbia, any other T14, all these schools will place in Texas. If you want to go to school somewhere else for 3 years, you shouldn't have any problem coming back.

One possible exception to this is the Austin market. The Austin market seems to be completely and utterly dominated by UT. But if you are more interested in Houston or Dallas, than this isn't an issue.

One advantage that going to UT would definitely have over going to those other schools are the contacts you will have once you get a job. You probably won't meet more than a handful of Mich or Columbia graduates when you move back to Texas, whereas if you go to UT, a lot of the people you will be working with (or against) on a day to day basis will be your classmates.

In this case, I think it comes down to how you felt when visiting the different schools. Example: If you visited Mich, and fell in love with the school, then hell yeah, go there, but don't go if the only reason you are considering it is its USNWR ranking.

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Well, it isn't so much about rankings as what those rankings mean. I feel a Mich or Columbia degree is more portable than a UT one (in the event I want to spend a few years out of Texas). Also, having spent undergrad at UT, I am sort of ready for a change.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:21 pm

I think that you sound like someone who wants to go to Mich or Columbia. If you think this too, then by all means, go to Mich or Columbia.

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:46 pm

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/costs/

Has anyone else seen the tuition bump next year for us 0L's? I believe it was somewhere around 24k for 08-09 1L's (someone else can confirm). Now it's $27,840 for our group.

This isn't good news for the dumb kids like me that are primarily financing out of their own pockets. Oh well, can't say I didn't expect this to happen.

It sure was nice of them to update their website so close to the seat deposit deadline :lol:

I may have to call up the 700 club and see if I can get Pat Robertson to educate me at Regency. At least I'll only have to buy one book......

lsatismybitchlover

Postby lsatismybitchlover » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:45 pm

Has anyone else here not received their finaid package??? :?

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:36 pm

SSDD wrote:http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/costs/

Has anyone else seen the tuition bump next year for us 0L's? I believe it was somewhere around 24k for 08-09 1L's (someone else can confirm). Now it's $27,840 for our group.

This isn't good news for the dumb kids like me that are primarily financing out of their own pockets. Oh well, can't say I didn't expect this to happen.

It sure was nice of them to update their website so close to the seat deposit deadline :lol:

I may have to call up the 700 club and see if I can get Pat Robertson to educate me at Regency. At least I'll only have to buy one book......

Dude!! your tar matches what my face looked like when I saw that post. Nearly 28k?

txag_09

Postby txag_09 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 pm

I just about shat a brick as well when I saw the bump. Oh well, still beats the hell out of $150K elsewhere...

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to be happy about the fact that it's still a lot lower than other schools. Still, when you're born of poor white trash such as myself, you tend to get a little nervous when it comes to debt.

At the moment though, I'm thinking about just embracing the stereotype; maybe I'll go buy a bass boat and a travel trailer so my grandkids will have something to pay for in 50 years.... :lol:

txag_09

Postby txag_09 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 am

Bwahaha! Word. I can sympathize with po-dunk white (-ish) stereotype. Town of < 4000 right here!

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:06 am

wow they act fast. my access to freshlaw just got rescinded, and it sucks too because i asked a question that was still unanswered as of yesterday

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 am

f0bolous wrote:wow they act fast. my access to freshlaw just got rescinded, and it sucks too because i asked a question that was still unanswered as of yesterday

Why did they do that?

Vandypepe

Postby Vandypepe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:25 am

so were the financial packages made before the tuition bump or after it?

That PI scholarship is starting to look mighty tempting...

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:26 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
f0bolous wrote:wow they act fast. my access to freshlaw just got rescinded, and it sucks too because i asked a question that was still unanswered as of yesterday

Why did they do that?

deferral request granted

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 am

Add me on, ladies and gents, I'm UT-bound for the fall! Just sent out all my other withdrawal e-mails today. Woo! :D

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:38 am

txag_09 wrote:I just about shat a brick as well when I saw the bump. Oh well, still beats the hell out of $150K elsewhere...

COL of living is also cheaper than almost anywhere else. Go here http://www.bestplaces.net/COL/ to compare Austin to other T20 cities.

Here's an example:

For 1L's, UT's COA minus tuition = $15,076
For 1L's, CLS's COA minus tuition = $19,375

According to the COL calculator, $15,076 in Austin = $25,795 in New York. How does that make you feel?

Tacitus

Postby Tacitus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Just sent my seat deposit in today.... HOOK 'EM!!!

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:15 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
txag_09 wrote:I just about shat a brick as well when I saw the bump. Oh well, still beats the hell out of $150K elsewhere...

COL of living is also cheaper than almost anywhere else. Go here http://www.bestplaces.net/COL/ to compare Austin to other T20 cities.

Here's an example:

For 1L's, UT's COA minus tuition = $15,076
For 1L's, CLS's COA minus tuition = $19,375

According to the COL calculator, $15,076 in Austin = $25,795 in New York. How does that make you feel?

That's a good point. At this point, I'm finished with the bitching. I know this is what I want to do; If I did anything else, I wouldn't be doing what I want. It's time to put the financing aspect of my mind. If it all goes to hell, I'll have a pretty good set-up begging for change on "The Drag". I've noticed that homeless people seem to have a much higher standard of living in Austin than Houston, so hopefully I can stick around the 512.

Hook 'em!

rbrown05

Postby rbrown05 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:32 am

Esc wrote:Mich, Columbia, any other T14, all these schools will place in Texas. If you want to go to school somewhere else for 3 years, you shouldn't have any problem coming back.

One possible exception to this is the Austin market. The Austin market seems to be completely and utterly dominated by UT. But if you are more interested in Houston or Dallas, than this isn't an issue.

I'm gonna jump in here and give my 2-cents (I'm currently torn between UT and UVA for most of the same reasons as prelaw). I'm a UT undergrad, and the other day I spoke with a friend of mine who went to UT undergrad, UT law, and now works in environmental law in Austin. He encouraged me towards UVA, saying that it was his first choice and that he actually works with several graduates of UVA. The impression I got from him was that the Austin market favors UT grads and out-of-staters...they are skeptical of people coming from SMU, Houston, or Baylor because they think these people just couldn't get biglaw jobs in Houston/Dallas and don't plan on staying in Austin. It doesn't seem as likely that UT grads and out-of-staters would come to Austin as a backup choice while they're really waiting to get into dallas/houston. Even if the Austin market does favor UT grads to a large degree, they'd probably give you strong consideration for being a UT undergrad who left Austin to attend a T14 and now wants to return. but I'm mostly just speculating...I'm pretty much in the exact same situation as you.

chadstew55

Postby chadstew55 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 am

rbrown05 wrote:
Esc wrote:Mich, Columbia, any other T14, all these schools will place in Texas. If you want to go to school somewhere else for 3 years, you shouldn't have any problem coming back.

I'm gonna jump in here and give my 2-cents (I'm currently torn between UT and UVA for most of the same reasons as prelaw). I'm a UT undergrad, and the other day I spoke with a friend of mine who went to UT undergrad, UT law, and now works in environmental law in Austin. He encouraged me towards UVA, saying that it was his first choice and that he actually works with several graduates of UVA. The impression I got from him was that the Austin market favors UT grads and out-of-staters...they are skeptical of people coming from SMU, Houston, or Baylor because they think these people just couldn't get biglaw jobs in Houston/Dallas and don't plan on staying in Austin. It doesn't seem as likely that UT grads and out-of-staters would come to Austin as a backup choice while they're really waiting to get into dallas/houston. Even if the Austin market does favor UT grads to a large degree, they'd probably give you strong consideration for being a UT undergrad who left Austin to attend a T14 and now wants to return. but I'm mostly just speculating...I'm pretty much in the exact same situation as you.

I like that.

aaa111

Postby aaa111 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:20 pm

semperfi1860 wrote:
aaa111 wrote:
gigm09 wrote:
aaa111 wrote:I don't have any larger offers than what UT gave me (when you factor in COL and instate tuition) but i have a larger scholly from a t-14 school. think they'll offer more even though the total cost would be more at the t14? worth a shot i guess.

I was in just that situation and they just bumped up my scholarship from 7K a year to 9.5K a year.

excellent news. which email did you send your letter and offers to, if you sent via email?

I was in your situation with larger schollies from T14 schools (again, didn't compensate for in-state and COL) and they bumped me up from 7 a year to 15 a year.

You can send your email to the admissions email or directly to Linda Alba (director of Financial Aid): LAlba@law.utexas.edu and then fax your letters to her.

generally, how long did it take for the committee to review your file again?

Camm

Postby Camm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:30 pm

Just submitted my deposit last night...

Tacitus

Postby Tacitus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Esc, update the list!!! Oh right, please :)

aaa111

Postby aaa111 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:46 pm

another question -- maybe its already been answered. what's the consensus about the student picture? for what purpose, what kind of picture are you sending in?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”