Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaAttorney

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Snooker wrote:
Esc wrote:
As a tried and true public interest groupie, I have to agree that they laid it on a little thick. The immigration and criminal defense clinic professors were very interesting, but I felt that they were supremely adequate to represent the clinic program; IMO the domestic violence clinic prof's presentation was unnecessary and over the top, and very lecturing in an unpleasant, "in your face" way.

I realize that, given the abysmally small proportion of UT grads who go into public interest, they are trying hard to promote this, but I think they should have recognized the reality that most of us will end up in private firms, and provided a speaker who could talk on this subject. That would have provided pertinent information without turning anybody off from the public interest clinic concept.

I'm surprised to hear that the panelists in your section seemed harsh like that. Ours in section 4 were great, and got along very well. Personalities, maybe?

I don't think it was personalities. The third panelist coming from what she referred to as "the hood" apparently didn't respect the other panelist the second she heard he is from a highly ranked big law firm. He discussed some of the realities of pro bono in big law firm settings, and she interrupted with comments along the lines of "hey this is a seminar to encourage people to do PI work, perhaps you should stfu". I don't think they had ever met before but she was ready to interrupt every ten minutes to make a jab at this guy.

"hey this is a seminar to encourage people to do PI work, perhaps you should stfu"?? Did she say something that bad? Or was that just your interpretation? ;)

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Snooker wrote:I don't think it was personalities. The third panelist coming from what she referred to as "the hood" apparently didn't respect the other panelist the second she heard he is from a highly ranked big law firm. He discussed some of the realities of pro bono in big law firm settings, and she interrupted with comments along the lines of "hey this is a seminar to encourage people to do PI work, perhaps you should stfu". I don't think they had ever met before but she was ready to interrupt every ten minutes to make a jab at this guy.

I was at that discussion, and I don't really feel like it was quite that bad/awkward. I actually heard beforehand that the person you're talking about (the Judge) was a really harsh/intense person in the first place (which might be why I wasn't surprised by her behavior). On another note, I really did like what the Big Law guy had to say. It was sincere and to the point.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:41 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Snooker wrote:
Esc wrote:
As a tried and true public interest groupie, I have to agree that they laid it on a little thick. The immigration and criminal defense clinic professors were very interesting, but I felt that they were supremely adequate to represent the clinic program; IMO the domestic violence clinic prof's presentation was unnecessary and over the top, and very lecturing in an unpleasant, "in your face" way.

I realize that, given the abysmally small proportion of UT grads who go into public interest, they are trying hard to promote this, but I think they should have recognized the reality that most of us will end up in private firms, and provided a speaker who could talk on this subject. That would have provided pertinent information without turning anybody off from the public interest clinic concept.

I'm surprised to hear that the panelists in your section seemed harsh like that. Ours in section 4 were great, and got along very well. Personalities, maybe?

I don't think it was personalities. The third panelist coming from what she referred to as "the hood" apparently didn't respect the other panelist the second she heard he is from a highly ranked big law firm. He discussed some of the realities of pro bono in big law firm settings, and she interrupted with comments along the lines of "hey this is a seminar to encourage people to do PI work, perhaps you should stfu". I don't think they had ever met before but she was ready to interrupt every ten minutes to make a jab at this guy.

"hey this is a seminar to encourage people to do PI work, perhaps you should stfu"?? Did she say something that bad? Or was that just your interpretation? ;)

stfu being internet short hand for "perhaps it would be better if you didn't talk about this sort of stuff, since this is a seminar to encourage PI work". though that is certainly just my interpretation, which differs from lloyd's.

1000bmr

Postby 1000bmr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:20 pm

i wasn't there, but i would have welcomed any talk about firm work. i've still yet to hear a single faculty-sponsored word uttered about firm work. everyone i've run into that i've talked to about it (many of them completely wanting to do PI) has thought there's been too much on PI throughout orientation, especially on day 1.

also surprisingly, almost nothing on clerkships.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Conor Civins spoke to section 2 about PI work at big firms. He was an associate at Vinson & Elkins, and the firm counted his pro bono work as billable hours. I am very interested in a summer position at V&E after 1L.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000bmr

Postby 1000bmr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm

JazzOne wrote:There was a guy in my section (2) who talked to us about PI work. He was an associate at Vinson & Elkins, and they counted his pro bono work as billable hours. I am very interested in a summer position at V&E after 1L.

it's my understanding that a lot of firms are like that.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Daico wrote:
Clawclawclaw wrote:How did they get Bill Lumbergh to emcee the morning?

I'll be honest, this actually did occur to me when he walked on stage.

Actually, anybody know how old Sokolow is? He's been teaching at UT 28 years and before that, attended law school, got a masters in art history, clerked, one or two other details, he's got to be near 60, but I'd have pegged him as mid-40s.

Given the info he shared this morning, I think we can calculate his age accurately.

He began law school at the age of 27 and graduated in 1979. If he took no breaks, he graduated at the age of 30. 1979 - 30 = 1949. So, he's 60-61 right now.

Did you see the grade breakdown for the class he taught last semester? It was on the wall on some office in the law school. The class did horribly--the worst in his 28 years of teaching, according to him. (If I remember correctly, 44 % = B+.) He didn't seem to take any responsibility for the general craptastic performance of the class, though :lol:.

semperfi1860

Postby semperfi1860 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Anybody else in section 1C? The syllabus for Torts says we have class on Friday. Am I smoking something or weren't we supposed to have Friday off???

Walter Sobchak

Postby Walter Sobchak » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:24 pm

I am very interested in a summer position at V&E after 1L.

You and every other student in law school (and not just UT) ;)

EDIT: Also, I was told Sokolov is 68...don't know if that's true though.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Section 4 Hell = Torres also announced a no laptop policy in his syllabus! If my con law prof goes to the dark side as well, I don't have enough notebooks for tomorrow.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:37 pm

penni_rose wrote:Section 4 Hell = Torres also announced a no laptop policy in his syllabus! If my con law prof goes to the dark side as well, I don't have enough notebooks for tomorrow.

Aww :(. Section 2D gets to use laptops in Torts and CivPro. And maybe in Legal Writing.

mpar

Postby mpar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 am

penni_rose wrote:Section 4 Hell = Torres also announced a no laptop policy in his syllabus! If my con law prof goes to the dark side as well, I don't have enough notebooks for tomorrow.
I told you we had 2 classes sans laptops. No one believes me. I didn't really know, so to speak, but obviously I knew. Color me already out of notebooks. ugh.

lsatismybitchlover

Postby lsatismybitchlover » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 am

So let me get this straight, is section 3 the only one with no laptop restrictions? Of so, that is awesome.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:14 am

mpar wrote:
I told you we had 2 classes sans laptops. No one believes me. I didn't really know, so to speak, but obviously I knew. Color me already out of notebooks. ugh.

Perry just announced a no-laptops policy, so for 4B, it's 3 for 3.

Good thing I went to the Coop and bought three legal pads before going home today. I'm resigned to my fate.

I sure hope we get a vibrant and stimulating classroom discussion out of all of this.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:16 am

Esc wrote:
mpar wrote:

Good thing I went to the Coop and bought three legal pads before going home today. I'm resigned to my fate.

I sure hope we get a vibrant and stimulating classroom discussion out of all of this.

I've actually bought into their thinking. I'm not even going to use my laptop for the profs that are letting us.

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:30 am

lsatismybitchlover wrote:So let me get this straight, is section 3 the only one with no laptop restrictions? Of so, that is awesome.

No laptops in kaden's contract class.

Edit: no laptops in blais' property class either.

Guess we're all in this together.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:
mpar wrote:

I've actually bought into their thinking. I'm not even going to use my laptop for the profs that are letting us.

@ Esc: Did you get the legal pads with the law margins?

@ JazzOne: I'm not entirely convinced :). Yet I'm compelled (because of Rau's reasoning, as well as the urging of several other faculty and staff) to try note-taking by hand for the first few days in all of my classes.

Daico

Postby Daico » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:33 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I've actually bought into their thinking. I'm not even going to use my laptop for the profs that are letting us.

@ Esc: Did you get the legal pads with the law margins?

@ JazzOne: I'm not entirely convinced :). Yet I'm compelled (because of Rau's reasoning, as well as the urging of several other faculty and staff) to try note-taking by hand for the first few days in all of my classes.

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

Here we go, guys!

lsatismybitchlover

Postby lsatismybitchlover » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Cogito wrote:
lsatismybitchlover wrote:So let me get this straight, is section 3 the only one with no laptop restrictions? Of so, that is awesome.

No laptops in kaden's contract class.

Edit: no laptops in blais' property class either.

Guess we're all in this together.

Well kind of...I don't have kadens, but i do have blais. looks like i'm going to get a legal pad at the coop before class! :(

mpar

Postby mpar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 pm

Ok, which of you was it that was arguing with Torres about that pen? I know it was someone on here

1000bmr

Postby 1000bmr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:04 pm

mpar wrote:Ok, which of you was it that was arguing with Torres about that pen? I know it was someone on here

HAHAHA YES!

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:06 pm

How are we feeling about classes now that the first day is mostly over? Presumably, we've all at least made it through a few of them without dying.

My first thought: I miss my computer, but that's just me being annoyed with the fact that they don't seem to think adults can use a computer without getting on the internet... maybe they're right.

My second thought: Not nearly as bad as I was fearing the first day would go. They only called on like 3 people so far that didn't volunteer to answer. It was sort of a nice introduction.

Also, must say that I think the law school facilities are much better than the undergrad.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:38 pm

I enjoyed the classes far more than I did orientation. Laurin seemed quite competent, Torres was funny, and Perry is a beast. It looks like it will be a good semester.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Oh, and just to be a downer... --LinkRemoved--

During on-campus interviewing this year, the power is clearly with the recruiters. There are going to be a lot more law students looking for summer internships than employers looking for fresh talent.

We all know this. But do recruiters have to be so damn happy about it? Here's one report from a 2L at UT-Austin Law School:

I am walking up the stairs to get to my OCI appointment. I overhear some interviewers from various firms talking to each other as I hold the door for them and their heavy bags of firm-branded crap. One lady says to another, "Did you get a lot more applicants from UT this year?" Lady 2 says, "No, it was the usual number for us." Lady 1 replies, "I had 200 applicants from UT alone for the 15 total spots we will fill this year." Lady 2 says, "I think it's gonna be a great year for employers!" They all laugh.

:cry:

mpar

Postby mpar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:34 pm

I liked everyone. Agree that Laurin seemed fine, my fears of Torres was put away and I like our resident aussie prof. I also discovered I get about 4x more done in the library during that strange 4hr break int he middle of the day than I do at home.

Oh and I won the $600 from Lexis, score!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”