Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Vandypepe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Vandypepe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:42 am

joesrevenge wrote:Im in section 2 and thus have Rau. I kind of like the no laptop thing because as someone mentioned earlier, it might make it easier to take notes that are a little bit more concise and focus on the main points as opposed to a transcript of each class.

Im doing the book reading because I signed up for it with Anderson - who happens to be my torts professor. The book was an easy read and most of the 2Ls recommended doing it.

So everything at orientation is optional? I would like to not be at the school from 8am-7pm and a few of those events seem rather pointless.

To the other section 2 students: are any of you planning to go to the meet and greet thing on Sunday? (I believe it is only for section 2A and 2B though).



Really? Can anyone else confirm this (orientation is optional)?

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 am

Vandypepe wrote:
Really? Can anyone else confirm this (orientation is optional)?


I am *not* suggesting that you *shouldn't* go or, in fact, making any recommendations one way or another, but hell, classes are optional, they're not going to kick you out or penalize you for not going to orientation. It may behoove you to go, but they're not going to call your parents.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:03 pm

Daico wrote:
Vandypepe wrote:
Really? Can anyone else confirm this (orientation is optional)?


I am *not* suggesting that you *shouldn't* go or, in fact, making any recommendations one way or another, but hell, classes are optional, they're not going to kick you out or penalize you for not going to orientation. It may behoove you to go, but they're not going to call your parents.

I would be careful about this. I received a letter earlier in the year stating that orientation was mandatory. It is my understanding that you will not be officially registered unless you attend orientation. I am still a 0L, so I have no way of confirming or denying this. I can only say that it would be a real shame to lose your spot over something this trivial.

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:20 pm

nukelaloosh wrote:The no-laptop policy will likely lead to me buying a smart pen: --LinkRemoved--


That...that's magic...

JazzOne wrote:I would be careful about this. I received a letter earlier in the year stating that orientation was mandatory. It is my understanding that you will not be officially registered unless you attend orientation. I am still a 0L, so I have no way of confirming or denying this. I can only say that it would be a real shame to lose your spot over something this trivial.


Mmm, I'd be amazed if they'd drop somebody for not attending orientation. For the record, I know several 2Ls who signed in, got bored, and left, so the absolute minimum required is to sign in the first day. Locker signups are also during orientation, incidentally.

User avatar
Neverknowsbest
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Neverknowsbest » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:03 pm

I hope we can pay for our lockers with a credit card because I, like many others, have no money till finaid come, and I am not going haul all my books around all day.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:22 pm

penni_rose wrote:
mpar wrote:
Esc wrote:I'm glad I'm not with Rau; I really don't want to have to take handwritten notes for any of my classes.

By the way, has anyone in section 4 received an assignment or message from any of the professors? I haven't....I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get any assignments.

Haven't heard a peep yet


Me either. I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm also praying that none of them post a no laptop policy. I hate taking notes by hand. It always leads to typing them so that I can reorganize them properly.


+10000000

And still no notices or assignments other than the Orientation Case Brief. Here's hoping it stays that way. I'm out of town and kind of under the weather, and I really don't want to have to worry about doing something for class before classes start...

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Neverknowsbest wrote:I hope we can pay for our lockers with a credit card because I, like many others, have no money till finaid come, and I am not going haul all my books around all day.

It says check only on the form I received. I don't even have any checks, so I hope they accept CCs as well.

User avatar
semperfi1860
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby semperfi1860 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:39 pm

[quote="mlloyd"]Same for Section 3... at least 3C I can attest to... By the way has anyone gotten access to the gym yet? I know that some schools can be behind on updating that sort of thing...[/quotes

Yup. Just get your ID and you'll be set.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:41 am

I arrived in Austin yesterday. My roommate took me to the Hula Hut, where I had Thai BBQ chicken fajitas with rice and refried beans. It was good.

I like my place. I'm about 10 mins from campus by car. I need a new phone, so I'm about to bike--I have no car :(--to the SPRINT store on Guadalupe. I think I need to get an ID too.

So far, Austin's ok.

mpar
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby mpar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Just checked freshlaw and section 4 work is now posted. FYI

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:41 pm

mpar wrote:Just checked freshlaw and section 4 work is now posted. FYI


Of course, all but Torres are saying "assignments will be posted on Blackboard" and yet....none of them have posted anything on blackboard :lol:

william munny
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Got an email overnight saying that money will be deposited in my account on 8/21/09 or the next business day.

User avatar
SoberHobo
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby SoberHobo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:28 pm

william munny wrote:Got an email overnight saying that money will be deposited in my account on 8/21/09 or the next business day.


me too. please be Friday instead of Monday. I'm so poor.

william munny
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:31 pm

SoberHobo wrote:
william munny wrote:Got an email overnight saying that money will be deposited in my account on 8/21/09 or the next business day.


me too. please be Friday instead of Monday. I'm so poor.


Are you just going to be living off of financial aid as far as food/rent and stuff goes? I will be, no including 1k I have left over and any money I get tossed my way by my parents.

User avatar
SoberHobo
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby SoberHobo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm

william munny wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:
william munny wrote:Got an email overnight saying that money will be deposited in my account on 8/21/09 or the next business day.


me too. please be Friday instead of Monday. I'm so poor.


Are you just going to be living off of financial aid as far as food/rent and stuff goes? I will be, no including 1k I have left over and any money I get tossed my way by my parents.


yessir. I have 0 savings. I might be able to bum a little from family if things get too desperate.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Today's my 2nd day in Austin. After bumming around all morning, I showered and biked to the SPRINT store on Guadalupe. I bought a Blackberry Curve to replace my dead Palm Centro. I'm that much poorer--ouch!

For lunch, I tried Madam Ma'ams. I had Chicken Padh Thai with Chinese Broccoli. I loved it. You all should try it.

Now I'm at the STARBUCKS off San Antonio and 24th street. I like it and may visit again. I need to head to the law school, but it's almost 3:30 pm. I hope I get there before 5 pm.

I'm enjoying myself. I also have a very cool non-law school roommate :).

1000bmr
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby 1000bmr » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 pm

there's another thai place behind 7/11 that i like better. i always get the fried rice with pork, my gf got cashew chicken a lot.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:35 pm

1000bmr wrote:there's another thai place behind 7/11 that i like better. i always get the fried rice with pork, my gf got cashew chicken a lot.


What's it called? I'm always looking for the best Thai food ever! Plus, I like cashew chicken.

User avatar
semperfi1860
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby semperfi1860 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Anybody have any good coffee shops scouted out yet? I went to the one next to my apartment, JP's Java, and it was OK. I hear that a lot of coffee places near the law school area are kind of like that one: nice environment for studying but coffee is mediocre at best... Anyone found some good coffee yet?!?

joesrevenge
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby joesrevenge » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:18 pm

semperfi1860 wrote:Anybody have any good coffee shops scouted out yet? I went to the one next to my apartment, JP's Java, and it was OK. I hear that a lot of coffee places near the law school area are kind of like that one: nice environment for studying but coffee is mediocre at best... Anyone found some good coffee yet?!?


Spiderhouse has pretty decent coffee, but the environment can get loud sometimes (they also serve alcohol).

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:18 pm

semperfi1860 wrote:Anybody have any good coffee shops scouted out yet? I went to the one next to my apartment, JP's Java, and it was OK. I hear that a lot of coffee places near the law school area are kind of like that one: nice environment for studying but coffee is mediocre at best... Anyone found some good coffee yet?!?


I've heard good things about Flightpath on Duval and something--45th, I think? Maybe further south?--and I'm going to go up to 51st and Guadalupe to check out Epoch in fairly short order.

mlloyd
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby mlloyd » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:35 pm

I seem to remember another law student tell me that some place called like "JO" or "JO's" is the best coffee around. I have yet to try it but I think it's nestled between the law school and like 6th.

Walter Sobchak
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Walter Sobchak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Can anyone "in the know" fill me in on the recommended supplements for con/crim/torts/civ pro?? I'm a total newbie about this stuff.

buttermilk
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby buttermilk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Perhaps things are different this year, but last year nothing necessary happened at orientation. Nobody recorded your attendance, and I know people who weren't there.

The only worthwhile thing was getting to know people in my small group. But given the amount of time you'll spend with them over this first semester, skip orientation if that's the only reason you're going.

I have a friend who is a 3L this year, and he told me to skip orientation. I didn't listen to him. But I wish I had. Complete waste of two days.

buttermilk
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby buttermilk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:49 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:For lunch, I tried Madam Ma'ams. I had Chicken Padh Thai with Chinese Broccoli. I loved it. You all should try it.



Madam Mam's is my favorite Thai place. Although I do have to disagree with you on their Pad Thai; not only do I not love it, I plain dislike it. But nothing else on their menu has disappointed me, and almost everything I've had is fantastic.

These are my favorite dishes:

P8 Pad Ped Ga-Prao: stir-fried ground meat with mushrooms, Thai pepper, and Thai basil. It's relatively spicy, sometimes more so than others.

P16 Pad Cha Catfish: catfish stir-fried with bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and Thai basil. It's very spicy.

P22 Pad Prik Khing: stir-fried green beans. Not that spicy.

P31 Amazing Green Beans: stir-fried green beans. These are very spicy. Completely different dish than P22.

If I want Pad Thai, I go to Thai Kitchen, which is further up Guadalupe. At 30th or so.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest