Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cogito
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Cogito » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

esc wrote:I always took notes by hand in UG, with my amazingly fast but astoundingly illegible print. However, I'm doing it all with OneNote this semester. I want everything on my computer for LS.


What do you think of OneNote so far? I'm thinking about picking up a copy at the campus computer store for ~$45.

Edit: just called and apparently they offer office, which includes onenote, for around $35. not bad.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Cogito wrote:
esc wrote:I always took notes by hand in UG, with my amazingly fast but astoundingly illegible print. However, I'm doing it all with OneNote this semester. I want everything on my computer for LS.


What do you think of OneNote so far? I'm thinking about picking up a copy at the campus computer store for ~$45.


I've just started playing around with it, so I can't give a definitive answer, but my initial impressions are quite positive.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Esc wrote:Has anyone had Torres, who is teaching Property this semester for section 4? I just looked up his instructor survey results from his Fall 2002 Property class, and they are abysmal.

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/mec/cis/cis.WBX?subBut=Show&s-isn-indx=4

Doesn't look good.... :?


Why concern yourself with stuff you can't change? :lol: Surveys were fun to read before receiving our sections assignments. Now that we're stuck with our respective profs, I don't see what purpose they serve. Think of each professor as an appeasable ogre. (You have Torres, I have Rau.) You're smart and driven, Esc. If you play your cards "right," you'll survive Torres.

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Esc wrote:
Cogito wrote:
esc wrote:I always took notes by hand in UG, with my amazingly fast but astoundingly illegible print. However, I'm doing it all with OneNote this semester. I want everything on my computer for LS.


What do you think of OneNote so far? I'm thinking about picking up a copy at the campus computer store for ~$45.


I've just started playing around with it, so I can't give a definitive answer, but my initial impressions are quite positive.


I've been using OneNote the past few months for work in anticipation of using it in law school, and I think it'll prove a fine tool. You can start writing at any point on the page--which is actually effectively infinite along any axis--cut and paste from a website and it automatically includes a link to where you got the information; I believe you can link to other locations within the notebook.

Also, the layout of notebooks, tabs, and pages will, I think, be quite useful in law school notetaking and outlining.

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby penni_rose » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Esc wrote:Has anyone had Torres, who is teaching Property this semester for section 4? I just looked up his instructor survey results from his Fall 2002 Property class, and they are abysmal.

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/mec/cis/cis.WBX?subBut=Show&s-isn-indx=4

Doesn't look good.... :?


I've seen worse on UT undergrad profs that I actually enjoyed, but it's not terribly encouraging. On the bright side, he seems to be on an upward trend. The more recent ones on there looked better than the really old ones.

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 pm

I would like to suggest that everybody who hasn't purchased books go check out half.com. I've found brand new copies of, for example, my contracts casebook for $25 (after shipping), a new copy of the torts casebook for $60 (and I picked up a used copy for $20 bucks to keep at the school), and so on and so forth.

That said, even considering the amount I've saved, I'm still feeling kind of queasy at how much they've all cost.

I miss book lists drawn entirely from the public domain.

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Snooker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:08 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about Torres. If he's a bad prof, you're on a graded curve anyway. If you don't learn anything, the UC Irving law school backed by dozens of attorney studies and surveys says that the first year curriculum isn't really useful for anything other than showing employers you have the "right stuff".

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Also, if anybody has Frumkin, I emailed her and despite what the booklist says, you don't need the ALWD, she'll be using BlueBook.

william munny
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm making a list of all the ISBN's for the LRW books for section 4-d. But in casual searching I haven't been able to zero in on the bluebook cite book that was written by columbia law review et. al, published by harvard LR association and in 2005.

Anybody found it on amazon or something?

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 pm

After looking around for a while, the Co-Op has it for $25 new, I think it's probably easiest to just get it that way.

mlloyd
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby mlloyd » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm making a list of all the ISBN's for the LRW books for section 4-d. But in casual searching I haven't been able to zero in on the bluebook cite book that was written by columbia law review et. al, published by harvard LR association and in 2005.

Anybody found it on amazon or something?


Found nothing searching with the ISBN on Half or Amazon. I've found for the most part that the Co-op is on par with most online prices. Only two books I was able to get online for cheaper... In the end its costing me about $620, so I'm not super happy right now.

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby penni_rose » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 pm

I got the Blue Book from the Co-op today. It is the cheaper of the possible citation books. The ISBN is 9786617000183.

mpar
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby mpar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:04 pm

thinking the TLS meet up needs to be a float down the comal river

william munny
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:08 pm

mlloyd wrote:
I'm making a list of all the ISBN's for the LRW books for section 4-d. But in casual searching I haven't been able to zero in on the bluebook cite book that was written by columbia law review et. al, published by harvard LR association and in 2005.

Anybody found it on amazon or something?


Found nothing searching with the ISBN on Half or Amazon. I've found for the most part that the Co-op is on par with most online prices. Only two books I was able to get online for cheaper... In the end its costing me about $620, so I'm not super happy right now.


Were you buying new or used?

Instead of paying 500 or so I got all of my books (except LRW stuff) for 280 including shipping.

Has anybody bought all of their LRW books from the co-op yet? Did they have everything?

mlloyd
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby mlloyd » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 pm

william munny wrote:
mlloyd wrote:
I'm making a list of all the ISBN's for the LRW books for section 4-d. But in casual searching I haven't been able to zero in on the bluebook cite book that was written by columbia law review et. al, published by harvard LR association and in 2005.

Anybody found it on amazon or something?


Found nothing searching with the ISBN on Half or Amazon. I've found for the most part that the Co-op is on par with most online prices. Only two books I was able to get online for cheaper... In the end its costing me about $620, so I'm not super happy right now.


Were you buying new or used?

Instead of paying 500 or so I got all of my books (except LRW stuff) for 280 including shipping.

Has anybody bought all of their LRW books from the co-op yet? Did they have everything?


Some used. Mostly new because the Co-op does not have many used books. I found very little for decent used books online. Maybe I was just a few days late.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:Has anyone had Torres, who is teaching Property this semester for section 4? I just looked up his instructor survey results from his Fall 2002 Property class, and they are abysmal.

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/mec/cis/cis.WBX?subBut=Show&s-isn-indx=4

Doesn't look good.... :?


Why concern yourself with stuff you can't change? :lol: Surveys were fun to read before receiving our sections assignments. Now that we're stuck with our respective profs, I don't see what purpose they serve. Think of each professor as an appeasable ogre. (You have Torres, I have Rau.) You're smart and driven, Esc. If you play your cards "right," you'll survive Torres.


Actually, I think surveys are only useful once we know our classes, because they help us figure out what our professors will be like. I'm not afraid of doing poorly with Torres, but it is somewhat disappointing to see that he doesn't seem to have been thought highly of by his previous Property class. So far my semester looks to have 1 good professor, 1 who was thought poorly of, and 1 who is completely unknown. Here's hoping it goes well.

william munny
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Welp, I just ordered the lawyer's craft online ($11 w/ shipping) and I'm going to the co-op tomorrow/friday to get the other books for LRW. All of the prices online for LRW books were pretty much similar to co-op prices after shipping, like you said.

Hopefully everything will get here before classes start.

User avatar
SoberHobo
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby SoberHobo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:52 pm

For those of you who bought Gilberts or Emanuel outlines, how exactly do you plan to use these? Are they used to supplement your own outline, or will you use them to piece together an outline, since the course material will vary depending on your professor?

Man, I'm just a little overwhelmed looking at all these supplements available. Is there anyone at all who just does like some professors say and only uses the casebook, or is that just crazy?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:14 pm

SoberHobo wrote:For those of you who bought Gilberts or Emanuel outlines, how exactly do you plan to use these? Are they used to supplement your own outline, or will you use them to piece together an outline, since the course material will vary depending on your professor?

Man, I'm just a little overwhelmed looking at all these supplements available. Is there anyone at all who just does like some professors say and only uses the casebook, or is that just crazy?

I'm going to wait until I get a feel for the course before I buy a lot of supplements. I might even ask the professor which ones he/she recommends. It's really hard to say right now what will be helpful and what won't.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:25 pm

SoberHobo wrote:For those of you who bought Gilberts or Emanuel outlines, how exactly do you plan to use these? Are they used to supplement your own outline, or will you use them to piece together an outline, since the course material will vary depending on your professor?

Man, I'm just a little overwhelmed looking at all these supplements available. Is there anyone at all who just does like some professors say and only uses the casebook, or is that just crazy?


I wouldn't trust any prof that advises me to stick only to the casebook.

Join a few orgs. Make friends with 2L's and 3L's. Find out what supps they used. Ask profs for supp recommendations.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:56 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:For those of you who bought Gilberts or Emanuel outlines, how exactly do you plan to use these? Are they used to supplement your own outline, or will you use them to piece together an outline, since the course material will vary depending on your professor?

Man, I'm just a little overwhelmed looking at all these supplements available. Is there anyone at all who just does like some professors say and only uses the casebook, or is that just crazy?


I wouldn't trust any prof that advises me to stick only to the casebook.

Join a few orgs. Make friends with 2L's and 3L's. Find out what supps they used. Ask profs for supp recommendations.


A few months ago I bought one highly TLS-recommended supplement for each class, and I plan to buy whatever supp or hornbook my profs recommend.

I will probably visit the Coop and campus tomorrow morning to buy books, visit FinAid, and maybe just wander around a bit.

User avatar
Catch22
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:41 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Catch22 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:27 pm

A bit off topic from where the rest of this thread discussion is right now, but is anyone else bringing an acoustic guitar along? I've been playing for a bit more than 2 years now and I'm super-amped about Austin's indy music scene - hope I can play at some open mic nights around or something.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:45 am

Catch22 wrote:A bit off topic from where the rest of this thread discussion is right now, but is anyone else bringing an acoustic guitar along? I've been playing for a bit more than 2 years now and I'm super-amped about Austin's indy music scene - hope I can play at some open mic nights around or something.


I'm bringing along my voice, which I enjoy pairing with an acoustic guitar :).

william munny
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby william munny » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Went to buy the LRW books at the co-op and they are all out of the bluebook. Employee said they've put in an order for additional copies but they're not sure when they will be in. He also said the professors are aware that they are all out so if class starts before they get in enough copies they should be understanding.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 pm

william munny wrote:Went to buy the LRW books at the co-op and they are all out of the bluebook. Employee said they've put in an order for additional copies but they're not sure when they will be in. He also said the professors are aware that they are all out so if class starts before they get in enough copies they should be understanding.

LOL, why doesn't this surprise me?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest