Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JazzOne

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Well gang, I applied for the $30K MCCA scholarship a couple months ago, and I just got the email today saying that I got dinged. :(
I'm kind of bummed. I hate taking out loans...

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:
penni_rose wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
penni_rose wrote:Did anyone else with a scholarship get their bill and find the scholarship missing? It listed the anticipated financial aid from loans, but not the scholarship. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

I got the bill, and it says nothing about my scholarship. I'll probably visit Shirley again in the morning.

I'll probably see you there.

penni,

I would plan to be down there at 9:00 tomorrow. I just took a closer look at my bill. I was wrong. They deducted my scholarship, and the bill shows an adjusted balance. I'm sorry I gave you bad information before. I was just going off the email they sent me, but when I clicked the link to investigate further, I discovered that my scholarship is clearly indicated.

Well, that sucks. I've checked my bill 20 times. It's definitely wrong. It is even $100 short on the loan/grant money. I was planning to go to campus tomorrow anyway to check out the book situation. I'll stop by the financial aid office. I can't imagine what happened there. It's not like I owe a lot of money on the bill, but after the scholarship/grants/loans, they are supposed to owe me.

william munny

Postby william munny » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:26 pm

On the tuition bill where is it supposed to list loans/grants/scholarships? If it's the main "my tuition bill" screen, then my bill is also screwed up. The only thing listed is a general property deposit and a "less exemption/waiver" which I assume is my in-state tution waiver in some shape or form.

Are you guys getting grants/loans/etc. listed on that screen too?

edit: Also have any of you guys written your "thank you" letter to scholarship donors yet? I just thought about it today but I don't remember ever getting any specifics about it in the mail/email

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 pm

The bill summary only included my tuition waver. On the CASH financial aid summary, it stated that all my loan and grant money is pending release. I'm not sure when it comes through, although I think I remember reading on the freshlaw boards that grant/loans are released soon, on the 18th, I think?

ArthurDayne

Postby ArthurDayne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:51 pm

My bill includes a deduction for: "Less Exemption Waiver"- Out of State Tuition was waived with my admittance and scholarship offer.
"Anticipated FIN AID"-This amount includes ALL grants, but not the scholarship I was offered with my out of state waiver, nor the loan amount I just applied for.
Finally "pre-paid deposit".

So in my case I received grants, but not scholarship or loans. I only applied for loans Monday morning, so that is not unexpected. Also, If you have not yet accepted your loan/grant financial aid package that might explain why grants are not yet deducted for some of you.

I spoke with Shirley last week, and she told me that the letters telling you from where your scholarship was funded and to whom thank yous should be written would be going out soon, I want to say around the 21st or somewhere thereabouts. I will probably try and confirm that tomorrow, and make sure that is why my scholarship is not showing and not some clerical error or catastrophic mistake on my part.

To be absolutely certain, I was awarded the Townes Hall Society Scholarship for 21,000 over the three years. Anybody else with the same scholarship either showing or not showing a deduction for that on their tuition bill?

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:54 pm

My scholarship shows up as "less third-party billing." Grants and loans are not listed for me. I don't think those are disbursed until next week, then you can apply part of that to any remaining balance.

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:02 am

ArthurDayne wrote:
To be absolutely certain, I was awarded the Townes Hall Society Scholarship for 21,000 over the three years. Anybody else with the same scholarship either showing or not showing a deduction for that on their tuition bill?

My bill just has the in-state tuition waiver or as UT puts it: "less exemption/waiver" (no scholly deduction). My financial aid page shows loans/grants (again no scholly stuff) pending release. I think/hope this is standard.

semperfi1860

Postby semperfi1860 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:03 am

Being a bit paranoid about this tuition bill thing. When I click Fall 2009, it shows what my tuition should be for the entire year. But it also showed that only half of it (i.e. what the Fall 2009 semester should cost for me) was due by the 31st. Does this mean I could pay the bill for the whole year now, but that only the bill for this semester is due now or does it mean they screwed up?

william munny

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:04 am

Esc wrote:The bill summary only included my tuition waver. On the CASH financial aid summary, it stated that all my loan and grant money is pending release. I'm not sure when it comes through, although I think I remember reading on the freshlaw boards that grant/loans are released soon, on the 18th, I think?

Ok same for me here

ArthurDayne wrote:"Anticipated FIN AID"-This amount includes ALL grants, but not the scholarship I was offered with my out of state waiver, nor the loan amount I just applied for.

But I don't have that, even though I'm supposed to have grants as well.

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:06 am

Esc wrote:The bill summary only included my tuition waver. On the CASH financial aid summary, it stated that all my loan and grant money is pending release. I'm not sure when it comes through, although I think I remember reading on the freshlaw boards that grant/loans are released soon, on the 18th, I think?

I hope your're right Esc. My funds are getting a little dry.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:50 am

Grants and loans weren't released last year until around/after orientation. Even then there were headaches. Financial Aid ladies may mean well, but things always seem to go wrong there.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 am

I'm going to the fin aid office this morning to see if there is a problem with my bill. I'll report back on if it's the standard way to do it.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am

I talked to Shirley in the financial aid office. She said that if your scholarship is under a certain amount (I think she said $8,000), it doesn't show up on your bill. The money will be released in about two weeks, but I think we have to write the thank you letters first. She said to pay the deposit (it should be $50) and that the money would be reimbursed when the scholarship funds are released. If they have your bank account info, it will be direct deposited. They will take out what you owe them first.

I also got my books. Most of mine were available used and I was able to find some that were in good shape. Otherwise they had everything I needed. It was a lot of money, though. I guess books always are.

william munny

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:04 pm

penni_rose wrote:I talked to Shirley in the financial aid office. She said that if your scholarship is under a certain amount (I think she said $8,000), it doesn't show up on your bill. The money will be released in about two weeks, but I think we have to write the thank you letters first. She said to pay the deposit (it should be $50) and that the money would be reimbursed when the scholarship funds are released. If they have your bank account info, it will be direct deposited. They will take out what you owe them first.

I also got my books. Most of mine were available used and I was able to find some that were in good shape. Otherwise they had everything I needed. It was a lot of money, though. I guess books always are.

Which deposit is supposed to be $50? The only one I see on my bill is a general property deposit for $10.

And ummm, I may have already clicked the "defer to financial aid" button for payment. I hope I didn't do it too early.

edit: I can still make a payment on it even after defering to financial aid so I don't think it will be an issue. But I still don't know which deposit you're referring to.

william munny

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Forgot to ask, did she say anything about the loans/grants showing up on the bill?

And I'm going to order all my books online. I'm not super concerned about highlighting/marks and would rather save 50% than pay almost $500 for my books.

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:27 pm

So we won't get our loans until orientation or so? I hope I'm not the only one who is so poor they can't afford books until that money arrives. :(

william munny

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:36 pm

SoberHobo wrote:So we won't get our loans until orientation or so? I hope I'm not the only one who is so poor they can't afford books until that money arrives. :(

It's chill man. I'm living pretty hoboish myself. Internet but no cable. And I would rather have sheets on my bed that don't fit instead of paying extra money for ones that are big enough.

And finally got my books ordered after getting my address changed. Spent 280 online instead of 500ish in person.

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm also curious about this: how many people plan to type all their notes as the prof speaks? I've never been much of a note taker, and I've always preferred to hand write any notes I do take. Then, I can keep my class notes in a badass trapper keeper.

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:42 pm

william munny wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:So we won't get our loans until orientation or so? I hope I'm not the only one who is so poor they can't afford books until that money arrives. :(

It's chill man. I'm living pretty hoboish myself. Internet but no cable. And I would rather have sheets on my bed that don't fit instead of paying extra money for ones that are big enough.

And finally got my books ordered after getting my address changed. Spent 280 online instead of 500ish in person.

Cool. No cable for me either. I don't really watch much TV anyway.

penni_rose

Postby penni_rose » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:00 pm

william munny wrote:
penni_rose wrote:I talked to Shirley in the financial aid office. She said that if your scholarship is under a certain amount (I think she said $8,000), it doesn't show up on your bill. The money will be released in about two weeks, but I think we have to write the thank you letters first. She said to pay the deposit (it should be $50) and that the money would be reimbursed when the scholarship funds are released. If they have your bank account info, it will be direct deposited. They will take out what you owe them first.

Which deposit is supposed to be $50? The only one I see on my bill is a general property deposit for $10.

And ummm, I may have already clicked the "defer to financial aid" button for payment. I hope I didn't do it too early.

edit: I can still make a payment on it even after defering to financial aid so I don't think it will be an issue. But I still don't know which deposit you're referring to.

If you said defer to financial aid, you're probably fine. I didn't have that option. It could either pay the full difference between my grants/loans or I could pay $50 now. Mine now says that my registration is complete and I don't have to take any actions at this time. If yours says that, you're fine.

What I didn't ask was if the scholarships were split and sent each semester or just once a year. If anyone knows, I'd be interested.

william munny

Postby william munny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Ugghh, I accidentally ordered 2nd edition of property examples/explanations instead of third. I guess I'm going to go to campus and buy it in person because it's only 2 bucks more than online at this point. And pick up my ID and stuff.

Also, not sure if you guys noticed, but LRW booklists are updated now.

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:08 pm

SoberHobo wrote:I'm also curious about this: how many people plan to type all their notes as the prof speaks? I've never been much of a note taker, and I've always preferred to hand write any notes I do take. Then, I can keep my class notes in a badass trapper keeper.

I plan on writing my notes but we'll see how it goes. It has always been more intuitive/a better learning technique for me. Oh and there's no way I can afford even a single book until I get financial aid, so you are not entirely alone.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:19 pm

TheIdiot wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:I'm also curious about this: how many people plan to type all their notes as the prof speaks? I've never been much of a note taker, and I've always preferred to hand write any notes I do take. Then, I can keep my class notes in a badass trapper keeper.

I plan on writing my notes but we'll see how it goes. It has always been more intuitive/a better learning technique for me. Oh and there's no way I can afford even a single book until I get financial aid, so you are not entirely alone.

I always took notes by hand in UG, with my amazingly fast but astoundingly illegible print. However, I'm doing it all with OneNote this semester. I want everything on my computer for LS.

I just looked up the prices for LRW, and ARRRGH! Its going to be another $140 down the drain. There aren't even any used copies on Amazon to make it cheaper :evil:

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:40 pm

If they want you to buy a "clicker" for LRLW, don't do it. Don't. We did nothing important with them. Wait until you find out you HAVE TO have one.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Has anyone had Torres, who is teaching Property this semester for section 4? I just looked up his instructor survey results from his Fall 2002 Property class, and they are abysmal.

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/mec/cis/cis.WBX?subBut=Show&s-isn-indx=4

Doesn't look good.... :?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”