Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Esc

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:04 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
mlloyd wrote:Did everyone buy their books from Co-op east? I only found one book for my section (3C), although I saw that there were plenty of books for section 2... Is the other Co-op just better stocked or what?

I went to the Co-op across the street from the law school today, and I am extremely disappointed. They only had ONE of the books I needed. To be fair, they did have a stack of used Torts books, but out of the 30 books on the floor, not a single one was usable. They all had major writing/highlighting or actual damage to the book. The Torts book was $133 new and $99 used. What a crock of shit. I'm going to save $34 on a book that is completely jacked up and that I need to use every day for the entire semester? And they didn't have a single new copy of the Torts book. Two of my professors haven't even announced what books we'll need. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm kind of regretting not making a harder push for Northwestern. *Sigh*

Don't become despondent so fast, Jazz. I'm in your section, yet I'm not worried. At every law school some students re-sell marked up books. Others refuse to re-sell, lending their books instead. (That's how I got my books for Torts and Civ Pro.) Professors wait until the last minute to submit book lists from time to time. I doubt this is unique to UT Law. Do you know what the new Yalies are dealing with? :lol: Do you know how badly Columbia tried to screw over my friend's housing situation? Shyt happens everywhere.

As Opera said, I highly doubt these problems are unique to UT. As far as books, the early bird gets the worm. I got one of the last decent Con Law casebooks for my section, but if I'd gone today instead of last week, I'd probably be as screwed as you. Shit happens.

Daico

Postby Daico » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:09 pm

JazzOne wrote:
mlloyd wrote:Did everyone buy their books from Co-op east? I only found one book for my section (3C), although I saw that there were plenty of books for section 2... Is the other Co-op just better stocked or what?

I went to the Co-op across the street from the law school today, and I am extremely disappointed. They only had ONE of the books I needed. To be fair, they did have a stack of used Torts books, but out of the 30 books on the floor, not a single one was usable. They all had major writing/highlighting or actual damage to the book. The Torts book was $133 new and $99 used. What a crock of shit. I'm going to save $34 on a book that is completely jacked up and that I need to use every day for the entire semester? And they didn't have a single new copy of the Torts book. Two of my professors haven't even announced what books we'll need. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm kind of regretting not making a harder push for Northwestern. *Sigh*

Yeah, if you go for used, definitely try and find somebody who had one beforehand. I got a copy of the Contracts book for $5 and a friend is offering the Torts for $45. Admittedly, I'm still debating whether it's better to just go ahead and buy new books outright.

For the Torts book, the bookstore apparently messed up the directions they got from Anderson as he specifically wanted the 8th edition and they went with the 9th anyway. I wrote him and he said he's spoken to the CoOp and the publisher and they should be getting the 8th edition in as soon as possible.

For Anderson, he told me he submitted his book list ages ago and when he spoke to them today, they said they'd just released the list and his were on it, so I *suspect* there's been a technical error somewhere in there.

I have no idea what's happening with LRW, but if you select the section number at the CoOp site, they do list a number of books that are typically assigned for that course if you want to chance it being correct.

All told, I doubt it's anything more disastrous than you normally deal with at any large university; I'm sure it'll all get sorted out by the time orientation rolls around.

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Not sure if people were already aware but you can go to http://www.universitycoop.com to purchase new and used books online (or look up the ISBNs if you're looking to buy on amazon or half.com). I don't like the idea of buying used online however, as I don't get to see what I'm getting. Plus the fact that I couldn't find any of these books used in the store near the law school anyway...

Edit: I just called and (as you might expect) the main Co-op does not sell law textbooks, only the east one (right across from the law school).

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Don't become despondent so fast, Jazz. I'm in your section, yet I'm not worried. At every law school some students re-sell marked up books. Others refuse to re-sell, lending their books instead. (That's how I got my books for Torts and Civ Pro.) Professors wait until the last minute to submit book lists from time to time. I doubt this is unique to UT Law. Do you know what the new Yalies are dealing with? :lol: Do you know how badly Columbia tried to screw over my friend's housing situation? Shyt happens everywhere.

As Opera said, I highly doubt these problems are unique to UT. As far as books, the early bird gets the worm. I got one of the last decent Con Law casebooks for my section, but if I'd gone today instead of last week, I'd probably be as screwed as you. Shit happens.

I really don't give a crap about the used books. I want new books anyway. What pisses me off is that we're two weeks out from classes and they don't have the book lists yet? WTF is taking so long? It must be real hard for the professors to give the bookstore a list. :roll: And they don't even have the shipments of new books for the lists that are out (they didn't have the Contracts book or the Torts book for my section).

Perhaps you all are right that other schools are just as bad, but that's no excuse. I wonder how they would have viewed my application if I started it less than two weeks before it was due. I also find the used book prices to be patently absurd. I could save $34 on a book I'm going to use for four months? That's less than $10/month difference for a shitty book vs. brand new. I might just order the rest of my books from http://www.lawbooksforless.com.

Oh, and they told me in March they would have "UT Law" briefcases before classes started. Guess what? They're not getting the briefcases.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Daico wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Yeah, if you go for used, definitely try and find somebody who had one beforehand. I got a copy of the Contracts book for $5 and a friend is offering the Torts for $45. Admittedly, I'm still debating whether it's better to just go ahead and buy new books outright.

For the Torts book, the bookstore apparently messed up the directions they got from Anderson as he specifically wanted the 8th edition and they went with the 9th anyway. I wrote him and he said he's spoken to the CoOp and the publisher and they should be getting the 8th edition in as soon as possible.

For Anderson, he told me he submitted his book list ages ago and when he spoke to them today, they said they'd just released the list and his were on it, so I *suspect* there's been a technical error somewhere in there.

I have no idea what's happening with LRW, but if you select the section number at the CoOp site, they do list a number of books that are typically assigned for that course if you want to chance it being correct.

All told, I doubt it's anything more disastrous than you normally deal with at any large university; I'm sure it'll all get sorted out by the time orientation rolls around.

One mistake is a mistake. Two are forgivable. But the co-op is demonstrating some serious incompetence.

Daico

Postby Daico » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:24 am

JazzOne wrote:One mistake is a mistake. Two are forgivable. But the co-op is demonstrating some serious incompetence.

Well, to be fair, we don't know where the error crept in in each case; I could see a problem happening with the professor giving the list, the law school processing the list, and the CoOp fulfilling it.

Is it ideal? Not at all, but it's a campus bookstore and if it's not rectified by class start and if anybody's learning is actually impeded by it, I'll eat my hat.*

*I have no hat.

ziggy

Postby ziggy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:08 am

Are people complaining that they can't get the book lists or that the co-op doesn't have them in the bookstore?
If you want the lists, they are here:

Section 1:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section1.pdf

Section 2:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section2.pdf

Section 3:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section3.pdf

Section 4:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section4.pdf

longhornnyc

Postby longhornnyc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 am

Maybe Northwestern will give you a last second look?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 am

ziggy wrote:Are people complaining that they can't get the book lists or that the co-op doesn't have them in the bookstore?
If you want the lists, they are here:

Section 1:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section1.pdf

Section 2:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section2.pdf

Section 3:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section3.pdf

Section 4:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/loadm/sections/booklist_2009_section4.pdf

I don't know if you have looked at the list for section 2D, but two of the classes say, "to be announced." That's what I'm bitching about.

For my third class, the co-op had only one of the two required books, and for my fourth class, they have none of the listed books! Sweet.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 am

longhornnyc wrote:Maybe Northwestern will give you a last second look?

Lol

I'm afraid I'll just have to deal with this. Bitching makes me feel better. Incidentally, I met with Shirley from the Law FinAid office, and she was EXTREMELY helpful. That's far more important to me than the book situation.

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:51 am

So far my limited experience with the UT Coop has been positive. Their buyback prices seem quite good, and the rebate deal is promising. Compared to my UG school's bookstore, where it was as likely as not that the book lists would be wrong and they wouldn't pay more than about $5 for a $100-new textbook, the Coop looks amazing.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:56 am

Esc wrote:So far my limited experience with the UT Coop has been positive. Their buyback prices seem quite good, and the rebate deal is promising. Compared to my UG school's bookstore, where it was as likely as not that the book lists would be wrong and they wouldn't pay more than about $5 for a $100-new textbook, the Coop looks amazing.

I thought you went to UT for UG?

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:57 am

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:So far my limited experience with the UT Coop has been positive. Their buyback prices seem quite good, and the rebate deal is promising. Compared to my UG school's bookstore, where it was as likely as not that the book lists would be wrong and they wouldn't pay more than about $5 for a $100-new textbook, the Coop looks amazing.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 am

Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Well, where then? Your profile doesn't say. Oh, that's means Baylor. :lol:

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:27 am

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Well, where then? Your profile doesn't say. Oh, that's means Baylor. :lol:

- kabillion

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:44 am

Esc wrote:- kabillion

LOL

Just kidding. Baylor offered me a full ride, and I turned them down cold. Couldn't stand that place.

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:46 am

JazzOne wrote:

LOL

Just kidding. Baylor offered me a full ride, and I turned them down cold. Couldn't stand that place.

lol. did you even apply there or did they send you a TTTalicious cold offer out of the blue?

Walter Sobchak

Postby Walter Sobchak » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:01 am

Two questions for those of you in the know:

1) When will we be able to use computers/printers at UT? I have some stuff I want to print out but don't have a printer because, in UG, I just printed my stuff out from the library. I'm guessing the 24th, once orientation rolls around, but that's not based on anything in particular.

2) Can I pick up my UT ID anytime? I want to use the gym and, from what somebody said a few pages back that begins on the 14th. I'd rather get my ID sooner rather than later for this specific purpose.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:59 am

Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

LOL

lol. did you even apply there or did they send you a TTTalicious cold offer out of the blue?

They just offered it out of the blue.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:59 am

Walter Sobchak wrote:Two questions for those of you in the know:

1) When will we be able to use computers/printers at UT? I have some stuff I want to print out but don't have a printer because, in UG, I just printed my stuff out from the library. I'm guessing the 24th, once orientation rolls around, but that's not based on anything in particular.

2) Can I pick up my UT ID anytime? I want to use the gym and, from what somebody said a few pages back that begins on the 14th. I'd rather get my ID sooner rather than later for this specific purpose.

Go get your ID right away. It took about two minutes, but who knows what will happen when all the freshman roll into town.

txgirl

Postby txgirl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:Two questions for those of you in the know:

Go get your ID right away. It took about two minutes, but who knows what will happen when all the freshman roll into town.

where do you go to get the id?

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:22 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

LOL

They just offered it out of the blue.

That's awesome. I didn't think they had that little class.

You get your ID on the main UT campus, at the FAC building just west of the Tower. The Campus Computer Store is also there, and is worth browsing through.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Esc wrote:That's awesome. I didn't think they had that little class.

I lost all respect for Baylor when I met this kid at the Princeton Review SAT training. He was a musician (as am I), so I started chatting with him about his musical interests. He was Indian (dot not feather); he was trying to be a hip hop rapper; he was a vegetarian who never drinks and gets a "buzz" from caffeine. Then he got mad because I told him he had no street cred.

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I lost all respect for Baylor when I met this kid at the Princeton Review SAT training. He was a musician (as am I), so I started chatting with him about his musical interests. He was Indian (dot not feather); he was trying to be a hip hop rapper; he was a vegetarian who never drinks and gets a "buzz" from caffeine. Then he got mad because I told him he had no street cred.

Are you sure he wasn't kicked out of Baylor for being too wild? :lol:

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:44 pm

JazzOne wrote:

Haha, I don't know where you come from, but that's gangsta in Detroit. Have you been to the Elephant Room yet? I've been meaning to check it out.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”