Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JazzOne

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 pm

TheIdiot wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I am the skinniest person ever to be admitted to UT Law (5'7", 130 lbs. sopping wet). Care to help me come up with an exercise regimen to pack on a few pounds? It's seriously embarrassing that my girlfriend can pick me up pretty easily.

You're not running off w/that title yet Jazz: 6', 140 lbs. And i've probably lost a few pounds of water since moving here. We'll have to buff up together.

Damn, that's pretty skinny, but at least you got some height going for you. I got carded for a beer today, and I'm 32!

TheIdiot

Postby TheIdiot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 am

JazzOne wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I am the skinniest person ever to be admitted to UT Law (5'7", 130 lbs. sopping wet). Care to help me come up with an exercise regimen to pack on a few pounds? It's seriously embarrassing that my girlfriend can pick me up pretty easily.

You're not running off w/that title yet Jazz: 6', 140 lbs. And i've probably lost a few pounds of water since moving here. We'll have to buff up together.

Damn, that's pretty skinny, but at least you got some height going for you. I got carded for a beer today, and I'm 32!

Yeah, the height helps w/deception (depending on the attire). But if I didn't have a beard, I would probably still look like I'm 20 (who somehow has 3 girls). I seriously do want to hit the gym somewhat regularly, for the energy/mental boost more than anything. And if I get huge along the way, I'll take it.

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 am

I'm pleasantly surprised by all this gym-talk. Any 3C's planning on hitting up the gym? Or at least anyone going after 3:07pm? I'm not a large guy, but I've been trying at a consistent work-out schedule since sophomore year of high school...

nahmorlah

Postby nahmorlah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:02 am

TheIdiot wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:

Yeah, the height helps w/deception (depending on the attire). But if I didn't have a beard, I would probably still look like I'm 20 (who somehow has 3 girls). I seriously do want to hit the gym somewhat regularly, for the energy/mental boost more than anything. And if I get huge along the way, I'll take it.

Hahahaha. I have the opposite problem as you two. I'm 5'4" and 180 pounds. Granted, I don't necessarily look like it but yah... I have friends who are like half my weight and they definitely CANNOT pick me up.

Alta

Postby Alta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:03 am

mlloyd wrote:I'm pleasantly surprised by all this gym-talk. Any 3C's planning on hitting up the gym? Or at least anyone going after 3:07pm? I'm not a large guy, but I've been trying at a consistent work-out schedule since sophomore year of high school...

I'm a 3C planning on going to the gym everyday after class (or maybe in our ridiculous 3 1/2 hour break on Thursdays) but as I'm female, I'm not too interested in bulking up. My main goal is to stay sane and, if possible, to avoid gaining the 1L 30 lbs or whatever it is in law school. Yikes.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Alta wrote:
mlloyd wrote:I'm pleasantly surprised by all this gym-talk. Any 3C's planning on hitting up the gym? Or at least anyone going after 3:07pm? I'm not a large guy, but I've been trying at a consistent work-out schedule since sophomore year of high school...

I'm a 3C planning on going to the gym everyday after class (or maybe in our ridiculous 3 1/2 hour break on Thursdays) but as I'm female, I'm not too interested in bulking up. My main goal is to stay sane and, if possible, to avoid gaining the 1L 30 lbs or whatever it is in law school. Yikes.

Just remember, Alta--broccoli and water. That's right. Broccoli and water.

Daico

Postby Daico » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm gonna go sit over here with the fat kids.

Alta

Postby Alta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:38 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Alta wrote:

Just remember, Alta--broccoli and water. That's right. Broccoli and water.

Haha works for me. I like a good head of broccoli. Plus, my grocery bill would be awesome on that diet.

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:56 pm

Just a heads up...I went to the Co-op today and bought my casebooks, and there are still a bunch of used, cheaper casebooks for the 1L classes. I saved a total of $80 over the new co-op/amazon prices for my 3 casebooks. You all better get over there quick and get yours before they get snapped up.

davidin

Postby davidin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidin

Postby davidin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:10 pm

davidin wrote:
Daico wrote:I'm gonna go sit over here with the fat kids.

I'll join you! We can get donuts before class. :lol:

I love the occasional donut. But I like mine fresh and warm--so much so that it virtually melts in my mouth. Are there any awesome donut shops in Austin? In December, after my final exams, I'd like to celebrate with an absofrickinawesome apple fritter.

davidin

Postby davidin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:05 pm

davidin wrote:
Esc wrote:Just a heads up...I went to the Co-op today and bought my casebooks, and there are still a bunch of used, cheaper casebooks for the 1L classes. I saved a total of $80 over the new co-op/amazon prices for my 3 casebooks. You all better get over there quick and get yours before they get snapped up.

I got mine today too. I probably saw you there (around noon). Anyway, they do still have a great selection of clean used books. I got my criminal law book used without so much a a stray pencil mark, but I looked through about 30 con law books before I got a decent one.

If you were the guy in Section 1A then yah that was me. I also had a harder time finding a good used ConLaw book, and there were only about a dozen used copies left, so I'm glad I went.

+1 on Ken's Donuts

davidin

Postby davidin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:09 pm

keayts

Books for sale

Postby keayts » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Hey, this is Kris Teng, a rising 2L. I'm selling the following casebooks and supplements. If you're interested in purchasing any of them, feel free to msg me and we can arrange a time/place for the sale. I prefer to be msged via facebook but will respond to msgs sent thru the TLS system as well.

[strike]Casebooks:
CivPro
---------
* Civil Procedure: Cases, Materials and Questions, 2008 (Freer and Perdue, ISBN 1422407101) - used by Sections 2A, 2B (Prof. Albright). Like new condition, no markings - $90

Con Law
------------
* Processes of Constitutional Decisionmaking, 2006 (Brest, Levinson, Balkin, Amar, Siegel, ISBN 073555062X) - used by Section 1. Used but very good condition, few pencil underlines - $40

Crim Law
---------
* Dix and Sharlot, Criminal Law: Cases and Materials, West, 6th Edition, 2008 (George E. Dix and M. Michael Sharlot, ISBN 0314180192) - used by Sections 1, 4. Barely used condition, light highlighting and few underlines - $40[/strike]

Study Aids and Supplements:
Torts
--------
[strike]* Examples & Explanations: The Law of Torts, 2005 (Joseph W. Glannon, ISBN: 0735540241) Slightly used, unmarked - $25[/strike]

[strike]* Emanuel Law Outlines: Torts, General Edition, 2005 (Steven Emanuel, ISBN: 0735551871) Slightly used, unmarked - $7[/strike]

Crim
-------
* Gilbert Law Summaries : Criminal Law, 2001 (George Dix , ISBN: 9780159007679) Slightly used, unmarked - $15

[strike]* Examples & Explanations: Criminal Law, 2001 (John Q. LA Fond, Richard G. Singer, ISBN:0735520135 ) Like new condition, unmarked - $5[/strike]

* Emanuel's Law in a Flash: Criminal Law, 2007 (Steven Emanuel, ISBN: 0735563977) Like new condition, unmarked - $20

* Criminal Law Applied: Arguments, Exams, and Answers, 2004 (John Delaney, ISBN: 0960851461) Like new condition, unmarked - $25

* Criminal Law (Hornbook), 2003 (Wayne LaFave, ISBN: 031414997X) Slightly used, unmarked - $50

Con Law
------------
[strike]* Constitutional Law: Principles And Policies, 2006 (Erwin Chemerinsky, ISBN: 073555787X) Like new condition, unmarked - $30[/strike]

[strike]* Legalines on Constitutional Law, 5th - Keyed to Brest, 2007 (Gilbert Staff, ISBN: 0314181210) Like new condition, unmarked - $10[/strike]

* Examples & Explanations: Constitutional Law - National Power and Federalism (Christopher May and Allan Ides, ISBN 0735562113) Slightly used, unmarked - $20

CivPro
---------
* Federal Rules of Court 2008 Edition, 2008 (LexisNexis Staff, ISBN: 1422450414) Like new condition, unmarked - $25.

[strike]* Casenote Legal Briefs: Civil Procedure: Keyed to Freer, 2005 (Aspen Publishers, ISBN: 0735556342) Like new condition, unmarked - $18.[/strike]
Last edited by keayts on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

art vandelay

Postby art vandelay » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:36 pm

countbizaller wrote:
davidin wrote:Back in the day I could buy tickets off my friends who had student season passes, and all I needed was my student ID to get in with those tickets. Is that still the case, or are they now tied to the purchaser's ID? Any recent grads or current law students wanna weigh in (all my info is 10 years old)?

I saw a guy last year who had bought a student ticket from his friend, had a student ID, and didn't get in. They check to see if the name on the ticket matches your student ID. If you want to sell or give tickets to another student, you have to log on to the ticket website and transfer them over to that student. That way it'll have their name on them.

Do they do that for the OU game in Dallas? I'm thinking about paying the extra $95 for that game, but I wouldn't be able to go... is it possible to sell that ticket? What about selling to a non-student? Is there even a student section up there at the stadium in Dallas?

mpar

Postby mpar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:03 pm

art vandelay wrote:
countbizaller wrote:
davidin wrote:Back in the day I could buy tickets off my friends who had student season passes, and all I needed was my student ID to get in with those tickets. Is that still the case, or are they now tied to the purchaser's ID? Any recent grads or current law students wanna weigh in (all my info is 10 years old)?

I saw a guy last year who had bought a student ticket from his friend, had a student ID, and didn't get in. They check to see if the name on the ticket matches your student ID. If you want to sell or give tickets to another student, you have to log on to the ticket website and transfer them over to that student. That way it'll have their name on them.

Do they do that for the OU game in Dallas? I'm thinking about paying the extra $95 for that game, but I wouldn't be able to go... is it possible to sell that ticket? What about selling to a non-student? Is there even a student section up there at the stadium in Dallas?

It's just a normal ticket, no different than any other available to the public. you should be able to get nearly $500 for it this year. #2v#3 with a good chance of the winner playing for it all in Jan

Walter Sobchak

Postby Walter Sobchak » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Does anybody know of a good (cheap) place to get groceries in Austin? I was thinking Wal-mart (I'm not a food snob) but figured one of the locals might know of something better. I love to cook but hate to pay.

txgirl

Postby txgirl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Walter Sobchak wrote:Does anybody know of a good (cheap) place to get groceries in Austin? I was thinking Wal-mart (I'm not a food snob) but figured one of the locals might know of something better. I love to cook but hate to pay.

HEB. I think the closest one to campus is Hancock Center, and it's really nice and cheap.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Walter Sobchak wrote:Does anybody know of a good (cheap) place to get groceries in Austin? I was thinking Wal-mart (I'm not a food snob) but figured one of the locals might know of something better. I love to cook but hate to pay.

Where do you live? There is an HEB on Red River right around 43rd or so.

Also, I bought some groceries at Central Market two days ago. I figured the prices would be outrageous, but they were basically on par with what I used to pay at Albertson's or Wal-Mart. The ground sirloin is about $5.50/pound. I never found ground sirloin much cheaper at the "discount" stores.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:27 pm

HEB is the standard Texas grocery store that you can't go 10 feet without tripping over, and they are definitely one of the best, cheapest mainstream grocery stores in the country.

For those who want high quality organic, local, food without suffering the outrageous prices and elitism of Whole Foods, the recently renovated and upgraded Wheatsville Food Co-op half a mile north of UT on Guadalupe Street offers very good food at reasonable prices. Their produce is especially good. Membership is not required, but members ($15/year) receive all the monthly sale prices and quarterly 10% off appreciation coupons.

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Did everyone buy their books from Co-op east? I only found one book for my section (3C), although I saw that there were plenty of books for section 2... Is the other Co-op just better stocked or what?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:59 pm

mlloyd wrote:Did everyone buy their books from Co-op east? I only found one book for my section (3C), although I saw that there were plenty of books for section 2... Is the other Co-op just better stocked or what?

I went to the Co-op across the street from the law school today, and I am extremely disappointed. They only had ONE of the books I needed. To be fair, they did have a stack of used Torts books, but out of the 30 books on the floor, not a single one was usable. They all had major writing/highlighting or actual damage to the book. The Torts book was $133 new and $99 used. What a crock of shit. I'm going to save $34 on a book that is completely jacked up and that I need to use every day for the entire semester? And they didn't have a single new copy of the Torts book. Two of my professors haven't even announced what books we'll need. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm kind of regretting not making a harder push for Northwestern. *Sigh*

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:40 pm

JazzOne wrote:
mlloyd wrote:Did everyone buy their books from Co-op east? I only found one book for my section (3C), although I saw that there were plenty of books for section 2... Is the other Co-op just better stocked or what?

I went to the Co-op across the street from the law school today, and I am extremely disappointed. They only had ONE of the books I needed. To be fair, they did have a stack of used Torts books, but out of the 30 books on the floor, not a single one was usable. They all had major writing/highlighting or actual damage to the book. The Torts book was $133 new and $99 used. What a crock of shit. I'm going to save $34 on a book that is completely jacked up and that I need to use every day for the entire semester? And they didn't have a single new copy of the Torts book. Two of my professors haven't even announced what books we'll need. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm kind of regretting not making a harder push for Northwestern. *Sigh*

Don't become despondent so fast, Jazz. I'm in your section, yet I'm not worried. At every law school some students re-sell marked up books. Others refuse to re-sell, lending their books instead. (That's how I got my books for Torts and Civ Pro.) Professors wait until the last minute to submit book lists from time to time. I doubt this is unique to UT Law. Do you know what the new Yalies are dealing with? :lol: Do you know how badly Columbia tried to screw over my friend's housing situation? Shyt happens everywhere.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”