Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
art vandelay
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:41 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby art vandelay » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
Do you already know that many people at UT Law who aced 1L?


No. But I know who does know. :))


Lucky you. Don't make us too jealous, ok? LOL


My God. I just realized how lame I sound. It's already overtaken me and it's only July.

It's gonna be one crazy fall...

User avatar
Neverknowsbest
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Neverknowsbest » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:19 am

"Section assignments are currently scheduled to be released Monday, August 3, 2009. We will send a general announcement to all 1Ls when schedules become available and post the information on Freshlaw as well."

Saw this on the discussion board posted by a financial aid person

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:17 am

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
Do you already know that many people at UT Law who aced 1L?


No. But I know who does know. :))


Lucky you. Don't make us too jealous, ok? LOL


My God. I just realized how lame I sound. It's already overtaken me and it's only July.

It's gonna be one crazy fall...


Don't worry. It will all come out in the wash--that is, the final exam in December ;).

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:40 am

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
Do you already know that many people at UT Law who aced 1L?


No. But I know who does know. :))


Lucky you. Don't make us too jealous, ok? LOL


My God. I just realized how lame I sound. It's already overtaken me and it's only July.

It's gonna be one crazy fall...


OperaAttorney wrote:Don't worry. It will all come out in the wash--that is, the final exam in December ;).


Insert random hypocritical frothing and anger about gunners here

On a more serious note, August 3rd, woo :mrgreen:

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby de5igual » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:30 pm

will you guys give me your outlines next year when you're done? pleeeaaase ? :mrgreen:

ignore my request if you fall below top 1/3

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:55 pm

f0bolous wrote:will you guys give me your outlines next year when you're done? pleeeaaase ? :mrgreen:

ignore my request if you fall below top 1/3


:lol:

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Snooker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:09 pm

So schedules are due August 3rd.

Anyone planning on a flurry of gunnerness to do advanced reading in that period?

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Snooker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:11 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:$1100/yr isn't so bad. Too bad that doesn't include dental. :twisted:


We had a 26 year old employee at our company who the company health plan quoted five hundred bucks a month. I was shocked, but 1k/yr is a pretty decent deal otherwise.
Last edited by Snooker on Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Snooker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:29 pm

Esc wrote:I was considering enrolling in the student health plan, but I just noticed that it has a lifetime maximum benefit of $100,000. The low deductible is tempting, but as a healthy individual, my main insurance need is catastrophic coverage. $100,000 wouldn't begin to cover a serious injury (ie, hit by a bus while riding my bike) with multi-day hospital stay.

I'm going to keep my shitty slightly cheaper high deductible plan. It sucks and never pays for anything, but at least it has a $1,000,000 maximum benefit, enough to cover all costs (minus deductible) if something truly horrible happens to me.


UHC has an option for catastrophic coverage that adds another $400,000. The first 100k is 80% payment, while the remainder is 100% coverage. It's another $580 or so on top of the original plan. Still, that's a bit on the shy side. The deductible is also REALLY low on the plan - $300. I notice that health care companies seem to overcharge for low deductibles, i.e. if you lower the deductible by $250 they charge you $300 for the luxury per year. Makes me a bit suspicious.

As for being hit on your bike, auto insurance should cover it depending on the circumstances. The driver's auto insurance is required to cover liability for your injuries. Expect ten lawyers and Dean Sager himself to turn up if this happens. If you're a victim of a hit-and-run, your auto insurance policy may cover for accidents with an uninsured driver. You might want to check about that second part, because police are amazingly flaky about letting hit-and-run murderers off the hook.

Moreover, Perry just vetoed the new bicycle and pedestrian safety bill despite it receiving broad support originally. If you were questioning my dislike for Perry earlier this year, it's this sort of "screw you, I do whatever I want" attitude from the Governor that makes me wish the cool-headed Mayor White (a UT law grad), or even Senator Hutchinson would take his place.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Snooker wrote:
Esc wrote:I was considering enrolling in the student health plan, but I just noticed that it has a lifetime maximum benefit of $100,000. The low deductible is tempting, but as a healthy individual, my main insurance need is catastrophic coverage. $100,000 wouldn't begin to cover a serious injury (ie, hit by a bus while riding my bike) with multi-day hospital stay.

I'm going to keep my shitty slightly cheaper high deductible plan. It sucks and never pays for anything, but at least it has a $1,000,000 maximum benefit, enough to cover all costs (minus deductible) if something truly horrible happens to me.


UHC has an option for catastrophic coverage that adds another $400,000. The first 100k is 80% payment, while the remainder is 100% coverage. It's another $580 or so on top of the original plan. Still, that's a bit on the shy side. The deductible is also REALLY low on the plan - $300. I notice that health care companies seem to overcharge for low deductibles, i.e. if you lower the deductible by $250 they charge you $300 for the luxury per year. Makes me a bit suspicious.

As for being hit on your bike, auto insurance should cover it depending on the circumstances. The driver's auto insurance is required to cover liability for your injuries. Expect ten lawyers and Dean Sager himself to turn up if this happens. If you're a victim of a hit-and-run, your auto insurance policy may cover for accidents with an uninsured driver. You might want to check about that second part, because police are amazingly flaky about letting hit-and-run murderers off the hook.

Moreover, Perry just vetoed the new bicycle and pedestrian safety bill despite it receiving broad support originally. If you were questioning my dislike for Perry earlier this year, it's this sort of "screw you, I do whatever I want" attitude from the Governor that makes me wish the cool-headed Mayor White (a UT law grad), or even Senator Hutchinson would take his place.


Unfortunately, $1680/year for health insurance is way, way out of my budgetary reach. I'm going to keep what I have right now and hope nothing bad happens to me.

Regarding Perry, I am still puzzled by his veto of the bike/ped safety bill. It seemed to have broad support, and Perry had certainly been strongly supported by the organized, affluent (and majority Republican) cyclists groups. I don't even see what benefit this veto could possibly provide him vs. KBH in the primary. What a tool.

Once August 3rd comes, I plan to download and organize the relevant old tests and buy my books ASAP, but I don't plan on doing any real reading. I've already read a couple E&Es and a couple hundred pages of Chemerinsky, and while I feel that doing so was useful, I think the next month will best be spent decompressing before the 1L craziness. If I do anything, it will probably be to start looking at the State Bar's declarations of intent, getting my resume in order, and researching possible 1L summer employers. If I'm motivated. Which I won't be.

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Snooker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:56 pm

High deductible health insurance seems more reasonable, anyway. The UT plan seems pretty lousy, almost as bad as the laptop "deals" on the UT laptop store, which were basically laptops with heavily discounted 4-year warranties. No need for a $300 deductible if you're basically paying more in premiums just to cover the difference. What sort of plan have you decided on - hospitalization only coverage? I am looking at the blue cross blue shield right now, with a higher deductible I can get a cheaper rate than the UT plan and still have my needs met.

On Perry's bicycle veto -
I read in the papers that his reason for vetoing the bill is that he suspects bikers may use the bill as an opportunity to write down the plate numbers of drivers who cut them off or otherwise violate the provisions of the bill. In other words, he vetoed the law because vigilant cyclists might report life safety violations! Troubling because it passed 142-0 in the House.

This bill would have encouraged people to use bicycles instead of cars for transit, a measure that would reduce pollution and traffic, in addition to helping keep gas prices down. I hope Hutchinson crushes him in the election, and I also hope Bill White takes her Senate seat, albeit through a very difficult race.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:07 pm

I have disliked John Cornyn since he was Attorney General. Any possibility of ousting that guy from congress?

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Snooker, check your PM.

Was that really Perry's stated reason for the bike/ped safety bill veto? If so, that is absolutely effing ridiculous. Unless the Democratic primary suddenly turns competitive, I may very well crossover to the Republican primary to vote for Hutchinson, who, incidentally, has been getting crushed in the polls since she has been sitting on her ass instead of campaigning while Perry panders to his base. Anybody but Perry, please dear lord. Gahhh.

Most unfortunately, Cornyn was reelected comfortably last year. We'll have to wait until 2014 for another go.

art vandelay
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:41 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby art vandelay » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Meh. I'm a Republican that's on the fence with regards to Kay vs. Rick. I like lots of stuff Rick has done, but this franchise tax a few years back combined with all his pointless right-wing posturing is turning me off. I like Kay's stated goal of focusing the GOP around economic issues and forgetting all the social-issue demagoguery, but then she hasn't done a thing to prevent her slide in the polls. She should be running around the state speaking out against things like Obama's health care plan, the cap-and-trade bill, etc; and then reminding Republicans that she voted (or will vote) against that stuff. That'd help her shore up some more GOP primary support, but who knows what's going on.

I actually don't mind Bill White, at least he's not fundamentally retarded when it comes to energy (like the rest of his party). Still, I'd never vote for him because I prefer not to further enable Obama as he goes about bankrupting our country.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby OperaAttorney » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:54 pm

The UT class thread is getting politically heavy. Hmmm.

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby penni_rose » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:17 am

Wow, go to Europe for a week and this thread turns into a Rick Perry discussion.

FWIW, I'm a Republican that will be voting for Kay Bailey in the primaries, but I don't really feel like getting into it at 4 in the morning.

Class schedules 8/3 is good, but I definitely won't be advance reading. I'm supposed to take over the taking care of my sick grandmother duties on 8/4 for a week or so before I come back to Austin to get ready for school to start.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:22 pm

Well, at least we haven't started with the personal insults yet. I take that as a plus for a political discussion. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your Grandma, Penni. Good luck, I hope she does better.

art vandelay
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:41 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby art vandelay » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Esc wrote:Well, at least we haven't started with the personal insults yet. I take that as a plus for a political discussion. :lol:


Whatever. Anyone who doesn't think and vote exactly like me is retarded. You guys are all retards.

There you go.

Seriously though, I just may do a bit of prepping once section assignments and schedules come out. Nothing too heavy, probably just going to put together a little collection of old tests and familiarize myself with the case books/find appropriate supplementary material.

User avatar
JoeShmo
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:18 am

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby JoeShmo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:32 pm

For what it's worth, one of my best friends just finished his 1L year at UT. He didn't do anything to prep before the year began, and he did great. He studied like crazy, don't get me wrong, but I think there's a misconception that prepping before the year begins will significantly affect your 1L grades. IMO, and in his, this is false.

I think we should all be focussing on matters outside of law school, b/c these are the matters we won't be able to focus on once school begins.

Anyways, I'll be moving down to Austin in 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to meeting you all. I think that the members of this forum, as well as the members of the UT 1L facebook groups, should organize a few events before orientation so we can all get to know each other.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:17 pm

art vandelay wrote:
Esc wrote:Well, at least we haven't started with the personal insults yet. I take that as a plus for a political discussion. :lol:


Whatever. Anyone who doesn't think and vote exactly like me is retarded. You guys are all retards.

There you go.


You just killed all the unicorns and rainbows! :(

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Esc wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
Esc wrote:Well, at least we haven't started with the personal insults yet. I take that as a plus for a political discussion. :lol:


Whatever. Anyone who doesn't think and vote exactly like me is retarded. You guys are all retards.

There you go.


You just killed all the unicorns and rainbows! :(


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:30 pm

JoeShmo wrote:For what it's worth, one of my best friends just finished his 1L year at UT. He didn't do anything to prep before the year began, and he did great. He studied like crazy, don't get me wrong, but I think there's a misconception that prepping before the year begins will significantly affect your 1L grades. IMO, and in his, this is false.

I think we should all be focussing on matters outside of law school, b/c these are the matters we won't be able to focus on once school begins.

Anyways, I'll be moving down to Austin in 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to meeting you all. I think that the members of this forum, as well as the members of the UT 1L facebook groups, should organize a few events before orientation so we can all get to know each other.


My suspicion is that the only real advantage yielded by advance study might be having a little of the black letter law stored up, but you'd probably functionally have to go over it all again over the course of the semester anyway--assuming you managed to pick all the same sections and cases your professor reviews--and the biggest thing that develops over the course of the semester is your capacity to really analyze and deal with the ambiguities of cases.

If it's not obvious, I've just started Getting to Maybe. That and LEEWS are probably going to be the largest extent of my pre-semester studying besides printing out my professor's past exams and setting up a study schedule.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Esc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Daico wrote:
Esc wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
Esc wrote:Well, at least we haven't started with the personal insults yet. I take that as a plus for a political discussion. :lol:


Whatever. Anyone who doesn't think and vote exactly like me is retarded. You guys are all retards.

There you go.


You just killed all the unicorns and rainbows! :(


--ImageRemoved--


Image

User avatar
Daico
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Daico » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:26 pm

Image

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
SSDD
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby SSDD » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Image

I'm glad to see we've raised the discussion up from politics, to pictures of unicorns and rainbows. Thank you google images! :lol:




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest