Texas Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cogito

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Postby Cogito » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:10 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:If it is free, why would anyone opt out of it?

Well, 'free' in the sense that the $700/semester is already factored into your tuition bill (according the that poster I quoted, at any rate). I'll try to call again tomorrow and get a clear answer.

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:21 pm

Cogito wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:If it is free, why would anyone opt out of it?

Well, 'free' in the sense that the $700/semester is already factored into your tuition bill (according the that poster I quoted, at any rate). I'll try to call again tomorrow and get a clear answer.

haha, that sounds like the worst kind of free to me

art vandelay

Postby art vandelay » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Esc wrote:
Cogito wrote:
river.rocks wrote:I called the student health insurance office today and they told me it'd be almost $700/semester. that DOESN'T include vision or dental. that seems so expensive! what are you all doing for insurance for the next 3 years?

I called recently and they just told me that health insurance was included in tuition. That was nice to hear b/c university insurance is really convenient for us out of towners; but $700 is rather dear. For those going w/o the university insurance, did you have to fill out a form or something to opt-out?

wait, health insurance included in tuition? Are you sure you heard correctly? :shock:

Yeah, this...

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Okay, so the relevant tuition fees only cover unlimited doctor visits at the school facilities. Nothing else is covered - no rx, no lab work, no xray, nothing. For all those things the university offers the unh plan, which is around $400 for fall semester. Seems like a bit much for someone young and in reasonably good health, but on the other hand it covers most things 100% w/o deductible. No vision or dental though. Hmm..

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Cogito wrote:Okay, so the relevant tuition fees only cover unlimited doctor visits at the school facilities. Nothing else is covered - no rx, no lab work, no xray, nothing. For all those things the university offers the unh plan, which is around $400 for fall semester. Seems like a bit much for someone young and in reasonably good health, but on the other hand it covers most things 100% w/o deductible. No vision or dental though. Hmm..

$800 for both semesters? that sounds like a pretty good deal. med insurance during undergrad was around $2K/yr

Esc

Postby Esc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:50 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Cogito wrote:Okay, so the relevant tuition fees only cover unlimited doctor visits at the school facilities. Nothing else is covered - no rx, no lab work, no xray, nothing. For all those things the university offers the unh plan, which is around $400 for fall semester. Seems like a bit much for someone young and in reasonably good health, but on the other hand it covers most things 100% w/o deductible. No vision or dental though. Hmm..

$800 for both semesters? that sounds like a pretty good deal. med insurance during undergrad was around $2K/yr

I presume the $800 will include coverage for the winter break? Anyone know how much it costs to extend it during summer? Link?

jester36

Postby jester36 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Esc wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

I presume the $800 will include coverage for the winter break? Anyone know how much it costs to extend it during summer? Link?

Yes, the fall plan goes from 8/25/09 to 1/14/10. It costs $258 for the summer plan. The total cost is $1100 annually.

Here: https://www.uhcsr.com/UTexasAustin click enroll now.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:37 am

$1100/yr isn't so bad. Too bad that doesn't include dental. :twisted:

Alta

Postby Alta » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Has anybody heard an update of when they're releasing the class schedules/society assignments? I'm getting curious...

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Alta wrote:Has anybody heard an update of when they're releasing the class schedules/society assignments? I'm getting curious...

+1

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:43 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Alta wrote:Has anybody heard an update of when they're releasing the class schedules/society assignments? I'm getting curious...

+1

I called the Dean's office with this question and was transferred to the Office of Student Affairs. I was then told that rising 1L's will receive their class schedules closer to orientation.

Of course, this doesn't help much. I don't care, though. We can't change our fall schedules, so how advantageous would it be to know beforehand?

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 pm

jester36 wrote:
Esc wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Yes, the fall plan goes from 8/25/09 to 1/14/10. It costs $258 for the summer plan. The total cost is $1100 annually.

Here: https://www.uhcsr.com/UTexasAustin click enroll now.

I was considering enrolling in the student health plan, but I just noticed that it has a lifetime maximum benefit of $100,000. The low deductible is tempting, but as a healthy individual, my main insurance need is catastrophic coverage. $100,000 wouldn't begin to cover a serious injury (ie, hit by a bus while riding my bike) with multi-day hospital stay.

I'm going to keep my shitty slightly cheaper high deductible plan. It sucks and never pays for anything, but at least it has a $1,000,000 maximum benefit, enough to cover all costs (minus deductible) if something truly horrible happens to me.

art vandelay

Postby art vandelay » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

+1

I called the Dean's office with this question and was transferred to the Office of Student Affairs. I was then told that rising 1L's will receive their class schedules closer to orientation.

Of course, this doesn't help much. I don't care, though. We can't change our fall schedules, so how advantageous would it be to know beforehand?

It's be nice to know which profs we are going to have. Gotta compile their past exams and try to get outlines as soon as possible.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:10 pm

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

+1

It's be nice to know which profs we are going to have. Gotta compile their past exams and try to get outlines as soon as possible.

How do you even begin looking for past exams?

RATRATRAT

Postby RATRATRAT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:25 pm

JazzOne wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

But make sure to ration them--if you go over them without really knowing much, it kind of wastes an exam.

Also, some aren't on here, but if you ask the librarians, they can tell you where they are in the books & you can photocopy the rest of them.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:37 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

But make sure to ration them--if you go over them without really knowing much, it kind of wastes an exam.

Also, some aren't on here, but if you ask the librarians, they can tell you where they are in the books & you can photocopy the rest of them.

Thank you.

Esc

Postby Esc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 pm

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

+1

We should be receiving our section assignments in a week or two, right?

Daico

Postby Daico » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Esc wrote:
We should be receiving our section assignments in a week or two, right?

Theoretically?

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:49 pm

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

+1

Do you already know that many people at UT Law who aced 1L? :lol:

utxq

Postby utxq » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:37 pm

If anyone is still looking for a place to stay, let me know. I will be transferring to a different school, but I renewed my lease because my place was too good to move out of if I ended up staying in Austin.

The apartment is an excellent one. It's fairly large with tons of closet space; has a great a/c and heater; is extremely quiet; and is in about the best location possible - it is literally a 30-45 second walk to the law library, door to door. I was able to make the grades to transfer (well over a 4.0) largely because my apartment was quiet, spacious, comfortable, and practically attached to the law school.

It's a 1BR unit with a dishwasher. Residents have access to inexpensive ($1 @ to wash and dry) coin laundry facility in the basement. Parking is included in the rent, which is $715 for a 12 month lease. Utilities are approximately $110 per month. The rent is well below market, based on the research I did before I moved in. Send me a PM if you're interested.

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Does anyone even know when classes start or when orientation is?

Daico

Postby Daico » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:45 pm

mlloyd wrote:Does anyone even know when classes start or when orientation is?

Orientation is August 24th.

Classes start August 26th.

Whippings start August 28th.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Daico wrote:
mlloyd wrote:Does anyone even know when classes start or when orientation is?

Orientation is August 24th.

Classes start August 26th.

Whippings start August 28th.

The dreadful truth :(.

art vandelay

Postby art vandelay » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Do you already know that many people at UT Law who aced 1L?

No. But I know who does know. :))

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:48 pm

art vandelay wrote:
Do you already know that many people at UT Law who aced 1L?

No. But I know who does know. :))

Lucky you. Don't make us too jealous, ok? LOL

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”