Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
SSDD

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by SSDD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:05 am

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/15951/28075551.jpg

THE GENERAL CONSENSUS IS THAT THIS IS A FAKE.

Alright, so I had to do it:

For the 3 people on TLS that haven't seen this, someone posted a link claiming the new rankings were supposedly leaked. I just wanted to put this up here to see what everyone's reaction is to UT's bump to #15.

Personally, I'm hoping like hell that it is true. It would definitely make me feel much better about the tuition increase. Also, given the $200 million endowment campaign, as well as other steps the school is taking, I think it is somewhat plausible. Still, like most people, I'll remain skeptical until the rankings come out on the 23rd. The scan quality is terrible and the title sentence claiming "These law schools are the best." is pretty sketchy.

What does everyone else think?

Also, THE GENERAL CONSENSUS IS THAT THIS (THE LEAK) IS A FAKE.
Last edited by SSDD on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:31 am

it's an old copy of the rankings. look at the LSAT ranges

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:37 am

Esc wrote:I've heard that Jos. A. Bank has some pretty good no-iron shirts. Does anyone know if this is true? Or does everyone sell no-iron shirts? The reason I ask is, when I bought my one and only suit a couple years ago at Men's Wearhouse, I, knowing nothing, trusted the sales rep enough to buy the two shirts that he recommended.

Now, this sales rep was, how shall I say, a fattie. He was obviously of the philosophy that all slim, trim young'ins like myself would balloon to an obscene size just as he had, so he recommended that I buy a suit and shirts that were way too big for me. Although I was wise enough to get a different suit, one that fits, I was not knowledgable enough to successfully pick out shirts in my size. Thus, the only dress shirts I have are crazy oversized. I need some new shirts desperately, and am accepting all recommendations for where to go to buy some new ones. :?
i've got a wardrobe full of jos a bank shirts. the traveler ones (no-iron) really are as they claim. they can endure 3 hour flights cramped up with me asleep and still come out looking crisp. if you're slim, always get the slim fits. regular fits are for average americans, who sadly, are overweight.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:27 am

good info, f0bolous. danke.

SSDD, wasn't the general consensus on the other thread that this leak is a fake?

Still, all that being said, IMO, UT could fall anywhere from tying with GULC at #14 to losing to Vandy and UCLA at #17. Tying with either UCLA or Vandy for #15 actually seems to me to be the most likely possibility. I think that in the next 5 years, UT will beat GULC, but there is no way to tell what will happen in any individual year. In any case, it really doesn't matter that much. USNWR rankings are, as Leiter has pointed out, opaque, easily manipulated, often skewed, and self-perpetuating.

That being said, in the unlikely event that UT beats GULC this year, I will shit my pants for joy.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 am

I wouldn't mind studying with some TLSers if you all are interested. Just for full disclosure, I'm a gunner, and I'm starting this summer. Maybe we could all buy the same books and discuss online before schools begins?

I know the conventional wisdom is not to study prior to 1L, but I'm 31 years old. I don't need to backpack through Europe to discover myself or anything like that. I'm ready to go. I have two books on my lap right now. I highly recommend one of them:

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution by Kevin Gutzman, JD, PhD.

By the way, that JD is from UT Law, and the book is a really nice review of American history. I'm a science major, so I'm trying to catch up with some of the government and history buffs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 am

JazzOne wrote:I wouldn't mind studying with some TLSers if you all are interested. Just for full disclosure, I'm a gunner, and I'm starting this summer. Maybe we could all buy the same books and discuss online before schools begins?

I know the conventional wisdom is not to study prior to 1L, but I'm 31 years old. I don't need to backpack through Europe to discover myself or anything like that. I'm ready to go. I have two books on my lap right now. I highly recommend one of them:

By the way, that JD is from UT Law, and the book is a really nice review of American history. I'm a science major, so I'm trying to catch up with some of the government and history buffs.
The title of Gutzman's book raises a red flag, as I am no fan of originalism. Do you plan to join the Federalist Society, JazzOne? :)

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I wouldn't mind studying with some TLSers if you all are interested. Just for full disclosure, I'm a gunner, and I'm starting this summer. Maybe we could all buy the same books and discuss online before schools begins?

The title of Gutzman's book raises a red flag, as I am no fan of originalism. Do you plan to join the Federalist Society, JazzOne? :)
The author definitely takes that stance in the book. I'm not saying I agree with all his conclusions. I just think it's important to read all the counterpoint on an issue. I'll probably peruse some other constitutional interpretation during the summer. The other book I'm reading now is about federal and state marijuana laws.

Do you have any suggested books? Federalist?

SSDD

New

Post by SSDD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 am

Esc wrote:good info, f0bolous. danke.

SSDD, wasn't the general consensus on the other thread that this leak is a fake?

Still, all that being said, IMO, UT could fall anywhere from tying with GULC at #14 to losing to Vandy and UCLA at #17. Tying with either UCLA or Vandy for #15 actually seems to me to be the most likely possibility. I think that in the next 5 years, UT will beat GULC, but there is no way to tell what will happen in any individual year. In any case, it really doesn't matter that much. USNWR rankings are, as Leiter has pointed out, opaque, easily manipulated, often skewed, and self-perpetuating.

That being said, in the unlikely event that UT beats GULC this year, I will shit my pants for joy.
Esc, thanks for the hypo. It most likely is a fake and I am more than likely biased. Still, taking out Vandy would be more than enough to make my day. So, instead of employing logic and skepticism, I'm going to go ahead and assume that we are #15.

Only a few months ago, I would have ridiculed someone for pondering the effects of a 1 spot jump in law school rankings. It's nice to see that I'm already turning into an obsessive compulsive prick :o

Also, I updated my post to reflect the opinion on the other thread. I guess it's like they say, people believe what they want to.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:02 am

JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

The author definitely takes that stance in the book. I'm not saying I agree with all his conclusions. I just think it's important to read all the counterpoint on an issue.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:06 am

I'm probably going to go over some legal-ish stuff this summer too, just for shits and grins. The Federalist is never a bad option. There is also a reader called "The Anti-Federalist", which has some cool stuff in it. Justices Thomas, Scalia, and Breyer all have books out (the former is more of a bio than anything) that sound appealing. I might also pick up a copy of the Economics of Justice...figure I might as well.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:16 am

I'm reading the Glannon CivPro E&E right now, and I hope to also read his Torts E&E, K's by Chirelstein, and the Emanuel's Property Crunchtime. I would like to skim Chemerinsky's ConLaw and Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law, but i don't know if those are going to be feasible.

SSDD: Beat Vandy Beat Vandy Beat Vandy Beat Vandy Beat Vandy

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 am

Esc wrote:I'm reading the Glannon CivPro E&E right now, and I hope to also read his Torts E&E, K's by Chirelstein, and the Emanuel's Property Crunchtime. I would like to skim Chemerinsky's ConLaw and Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law, but i don't know if those are going to be feasible.

Where can I buy those books? How did you decide on those books specifically?

SSDD

New

Post by SSDD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 am

I've barely started Glannon's Torts E&E; I certainly plan to do much more this summer. I'm taking the cpa exam right now and until I can get that stupid shite out of the way, I don't have time for much else :evil:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:22 am

Should I take the patent bar this summer? Or start studying E&Es and hornbooks? Or both?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 am

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:I'm reading the Glannon CivPro E&E right now, and I hope to also read his Torts E&E, K's by Chirelstein, and the Emanuel's Property Crunchtime. I would like to skim Chemerinsky's ConLaw and Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law, but i don't know if those are going to be feasible.

Where can I buy those books? How did you decide on those books specifically?
You can get them off of half or amazon. I decided on those books because they seemed to be consensus supplements of current 1Ls and 2Ls. The Glannon E&E is quite fun to read, and I think it is helping me get a feel for things, but that is just me. I don't know if it would help anyone else.

What will probably happen is I will read the CivPro, Torts, and K's books, and then for my first semester I'll be taking CrimLaw, ConLaw, and Property. Haw. Life will suck.

BTW, anyone know when we find out our section/classes assignment?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:38 am

zOMG U GUNNERZ!!! :shock: :!:

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:37 pm

f0bolous wrote:zOMG U GUNNERZ!!! :shock: :!:
I should provide the disclaimer than although I have read the first 250+ pages of the Glannon CivPro E&E, I haven't picked up the book in about a month. Make of my procrastination what you will :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blackknight

New

Post by blackknight » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:41 pm

So just to change all the talk from this gunner stuff.

Im now about 95% sure I will be going to UT next year.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:00 pm

blackknight wrote:So just to change all the talk from this gunner stuff.

What do you mean 95% sure? Do you mean that you paid the seat deposit but are still considering withdrawing? Because if you haven't paid the seat deposit....well, the deadline to do so was several days ago.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Esc wrote:
f0bolous wrote:zOMG U GUNNERZ!!! :shock: :!:
I should provide the disclaimer than although I have read the first 250+ pages of the Glannon CivPro E&E, I haven't picked up the book in about a month. Make of my procrastination what you will :mrgreen:
haha, Wow, I have that test in less than a month & even I haven't started reading that yet. I really need to get on that . . .

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Esc wrote:
Yeah, no shit. I think we're better than GULC, but I'd be happy if we could move ahead of Vanderbilt.

I'd be up for that, but I'm not going to be getting hold of anything 'til the second half of May. I've heard Getting to Maybe repeatedly recommended.

blackknight wrote:So just to change all the talk from this gunner stuff.

One of us, one of us, one of us

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:00 pm

You gunnerZ are putting the rest of us to shame. Keep up the good work, ladies and gents! :lol:

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:05 pm

Esc wrote:
What will probably happen is I will read the CivPro, Torts, and K's books, and then for my first semester I'll be taking CrimLaw, ConLaw, and Property. Haw. Life will suck.

BTW, anyone know when we find out our section/classes assignment?
Do all 1L's at UT take the same courses each quarter? Or do they mix things up?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:08 pm

nah, I asked this Q. 1L classes vary by section.

EE2JD

New

Post by EE2JD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Glad to see so much excitement in the UT thread. From the class of 2010, welcome...
JazzOne wrote:Should I take the patent bar this summer? Or start studying E&Es and hornbooks? Or both?
JazzOne, take the patent bar. It could very well help your 1L summer employment prospects. I think that would be more beneficial than any marginal benefit you could gain by reading E&Es and Hornbooks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”