Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JazzOne

Gold

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by JazzOne » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:10 am

JoeShmo wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Good find, Esc!

I don't care what small section I'm thrown in. I'm inclined to wish for ConLaw, but part of me wants to explore uncharted territory in my small section. Torts sounds fascinating and complicated. I've heard horror stories about CivPro, yet I wonder if I'll find the structure endearing. Contracts just sounds dry.

Anyway, this morning I ran into a gal from undergrad who's a 1L at UCLA. She made law review recently and loves law school. Her fav class last semester was CivPro. Go figure.

One more thing: I like that our 6 required 1L courses are split evenly between semesters. For a fall 1L semester, 3 courses + Legal Writing/Research suits me just fine. Some schools split them 4-2.
My friend who's a 1L there now says ConLaw is by far his worst class. The cases, since they are so old, are extremely bland and the language is difficult to comprehend at times. Personally, I'm hoping for Torts.
Did someone say "tortas"? I'm hungry.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:37 am

JoeShmo wrote:

I don't care what small section I'm thrown in. I'm inclined to wish for ConLaw, but part of me wants to explore uncharted territory in my small section. Torts sounds fascinating and complicated. I've heard horror stories about CivPro, yet I wonder if I'll find the structure endearing. Contracts just sounds dry.

Anyway, this morning I ran into a gal from undergrad who's a 1L at UCLA. She made law review recently and loves law school. Her fav class last semester was CivPro. Go figure.

One more thing: I like that our 6 required 1L courses are split evenly between semesters. For a fall 1L semester, 3 courses + Legal Writing/Research suits me just fine. Some schools split them 4-2.
My friend who's a 1L there now says ConLaw is by far his worst class. The cases, since they are so old, are extremely bland and the language is difficult to comprehend at times. Personally, I'm hoping for Torts.
I've talked to 1Ls at virtually half of the T15 schools. The consensus is that the professor makes the class. That said, people have their preferences. Some aspiring academics love ConLaw because it's lofty and grand. Some folks prefer CivPro because of the structure; it isn't as open-ended as, say, Torts, which can really get complex and hazy. The gal I met yesterday says Property is painfully dry; I've heard that from other students too. I hear CrimLaw can be fun because of the interesting facts. I've never heard anyone gush about Contracts.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Remember that we also get an elective class in 1L Spring instead of a 5 credit small section.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:59 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:

I've talked to 1Ls at virtually half of the T15 schools. The consensus is that the professor makes the class. That said, people have their preferences. Some aspiring academics love ConLaw because it's lofty and grand. Some folks prefer CivPro because of the structure; it isn't as open-ended as, say, Torts, which can really get complex and hazy. The gal I met yesterday says Property is painfully dry; I've heard that from other students too. I hear CrimLaw can be fun because of the interesting facts. I've never heard anyone gush about Contracts.
This is pretty much my uninformed 0L opinion on the 1L classes. I am actually very, very happy that Property and Crim Law aren't small section possibilities.

I just really, really, REALLY hope that I don't get Contracts for small section.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:

This is pretty much my uninformed 0L opinion on the 1L classes. I am actually very, very happy that Property and Crim Law aren't small section possibilities.

I just really, really, REALLY hope that I don't get Contracts for small section.
I wouldn't mind having Crim Law as a small section. Crim Law strikes me as an legal area with its share of strangely fascinating human characters from both the distant and the not-so-distant past. I expect it to be less abstract, more accessible. But I could be wrong.

Getting Contracts for small section might not be so bad. If it happens, however, I hope I get a prof who is laid-back, helpful, and merciful when grading.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Esc wrote:

Remember that we also get an elective class in 1L Spring instead of a 5 credit small section.
Yes, I was excited to learn about the spring elective class. Options, options, options.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Wow, I stopped paying attention for a few days and a grand discussion happened.
Esc wrote: Your diligent research has inspired me to browse the tentative Fall 2009 class schedule.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/sao/aca ... 99grid.pdf lists the following:
Am I reading that right? Does that mean 1Ls won't have Friday classes again this fall?
Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:Considering how online personas and real life personas are often completely different, I bet it might not be as easy as some people think. Anyone who finds out enough personal info about me in real life and then goes back to read my forum posts would be able to figure out who I am, but I bet I would surprise most of y'all by how much less gregarious/social I am in person.
Same here. I'm a black guy who loves opera. Anyone who spends enough time around me will make the connection. :lol:
I plan to camp out in the lobby with a subwoofer and a Verdi CD and see which black guys come over to discuss the lyrical style of Rigoletto. Yes, I just picked a random composer and composition off of Wiki. No, I don't know anything about Opera.
I'm actually an affable and pleasant person in real life!

Actually, this could be our meet-up code. Pick a day and time, somebody brings a CD playing Verdi. All the TLSers know to meet at the classical music fount.

Also, to whoever was talking about pizza, can you point me to any good dough recipes? When I tried pizza dough, it never really firmed up and I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:03 pm

If they don't change the schedule (which they could easily do) then no Friday classes. A current 1L I talked to during a campus visit a few months ago told me that the administration normally tries to avoid scheduling Friday 1L classes, although a couple sections in her class year did have Friday classes.

The Verdi CD idea actually sounds pretty funny, but I bet it would draw some odd looks

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Esc wrote:
The Verdi CD idea actually sounds pretty funny, but I bet it would draw some odd looks
Tish tosh, that's the joy of it. We can wear Guy Fawkes Masks, if you're really worried about being outed, but we'd have to switch to the 1812 Overture, I should think.

Remember, it's too late for them to kick you out for being a weirdo!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Just got a dorky hat, some chocolate (they say longhorns, but I know a turtle when I see one), and a cardboard pen today in the mail. I'm so excited to finish undergrad and quit my crappy job. I like the little reminders.

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:39 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:49 pm

The best thing in that package was the decal. I think they got more stuff last year...or I could be making that up. You would think they could at least give you a shirt with the amount of money you are about to pay them in tuition.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:08 pm

I love the free stuff. If I wasn't set on UT, I would certainly be now. I'm cheap like that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:12 pm

aww man, i wish i held off my deferral request till now. i guess no free stuff in the mail for me :(

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:21 pm

I think my parents are even more excited about the free stuff than I am. They really want me to say yes to Texas. They also really want to eat my chocolate turtles, I think.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:17 pm

I really like the invitation to the computer sale at the University Co-op in May. I'm going to have to stock up on computer stuff

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:06 am

haha, that sounds like exactly what we got. Though I believe we got a chocolate bat instead of a turtle. I think you guys got the better deal with the turtle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Looks like there is a good chance I will be joining yall in the Fall. Also, I never got any free chocolate in the mail...

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:42 pm

prelaw wrote:Looks like there is a good chance I will be joining yall in the Fall. Also, I never got any free chocolate in the mail...
What is this mail you guys speak of? I'm sort of far away from Texas so maybe this mail just hasn't gotten to me yet...

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 pm

I gave my chocolates to my neighbor to eat and then, once he had, I immediately regretted having done so. I want those candies back.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:28 pm

I didn't get any chocolates. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Daico wrote:I gave my chocolates to my neighbor to eat and then, once he had, I immediately regretted having done so. I want those candies back.
they were really good

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 pm

Just got my UT package. Yay!

The chocolates were good.

My dad gets the hat. (He'll wear it when gardening.)

My mom gets the pen.

Nice decal. Don't like stickers on my car though. Not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe I'll give it away.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:25 am

the chocolate was ok, but not great. I'm kind of a snob for chocolate.

I like the hat, and love the sticker. I'm a sticker whore. It joins the rest of my stickers on my laptop

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:14 am

Esc wrote:the chocolate was ok, but not great. I'm kind of a snob for chocolate.
Does that mean I can't get you a bag of Almond Mounds for your birthday? :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”