Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Esc

Silver

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by Esc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:31 pm

JazzOne wrote:
william munny wrote:Went to buy the LRW books at the co-op and they are all out of the bluebook. Employee said they've put in an order for additional copies but they're not sure when they will be in. He also said the professors are aware that they are all out so if class starts before they get in enough copies they should be understanding.
LOL, why doesn't this surprise me?
sigh....same thing happened to me today. And my Crim Law prof just put out a new required book (penal codes of Texas) which won't be published for a few weeks. uh oh.... :|

I went to the library today...none of my professors have old exams on file either online or in hard copy (except for a few ancient Property exams from 11+ years ago). this sucks. :x

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm

william munny wrote:Went to buy the LRW books at the co-op and they are all out of the bluebook. Employee said they've put in an order for additional copies but they're not sure when they will be in. He also said the professors are aware that they are all out so if class starts before they get in enough copies they should be understanding.
They had them yesterday, but I had to search for them. Probably everyone ran out to buy them right away.

william munny

New

Post by william munny » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
LOL, why doesn't this surprise me?
sigh....same thing happened to me today. And my Crim Law prof just put out a new required book (penal codes of Texas) which won't be published for a few weeks. uh oh.... :|

I went to the library today...none of my professors have old exams on file either online or in hard copy (except for a few ancient Property exams from 11+ years ago). this sucks. :x

You could always grab the pdf of the penal code that is on the UT law 2012 facebook group

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:08 am

I've been so busy moving and setting up the new apartment that I haven't bought my books yet. Are there any left for me? Any advice? I'm starting to get worried.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:10 am

JoeShmo wrote:I've been so busy moving and setting up the new apartment that I haven't bought my books yet. Are there any left for me? Any advice? I'm starting to get worried.
They'll probably get more next week. I wouldn't worry too much. I only have one of the books I need. I'm going to give the bookstore until Monday, and then I'll start buying them from http://www.lawbooksforless.com or some other online retailer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Walter Sobchak

New

Post by Walter Sobchak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am

Any bikers here? I went on the "thursday night social" ride last night and had the time of my life. We all biked down to Barton Springs, chilled there for a little bit, then biked up to a bar on 8th street where they had a few kegs waiting for us. I've never been into biking but it felt good to get a sweat going and I woke up this morning with throbbing legs. Just wondering if any fellow tls'ers did this or would be interested.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am

JazzOne wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:I've been so busy moving and setting up the new apartment that I haven't bought my books yet. Are there any left for me? Any advice? I'm starting to get worried.
They'll probably get more next week. I wouldn't worry too much. I only have one of the books I need. I'm going to give the bookstore until Monday, and then I'll start buying them from http://www.lawbooksforless.com or some other online retailer.
I'm not too impressed with that retailer. Their new casebooks are more expensive than the Co-op's, and their casebook rentals are more expensive than the lifetime cost of a used Co-op casebook (factoring in Co-op rebate and sell-back value).

Hmmm...buying books sucks.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:29 am

Walter Sobchak wrote:Any bikers here? I went on the "thursday night social" ride last night and had the time of my life. We all biked down to Barton Springs, chilled there for a little bit, then biked up to a bar on 8th street where they had a few kegs waiting for us. I've never been into biking but it felt good to get a sweat going and I woke up this morning with throbbing legs. Just wondering if any fellow tls'ers did this or would be interested.
1%er?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 am

Walter Sobchak wrote:Any bikers here? I went on the "thursday night social" ride last night and had the time of my life. We all biked down to Barton Springs, chilled there for a little bit, then biked up to a bar on 8th street where they had a few kegs waiting for us. I've never been into biking but it felt good to get a sweat going and I woke up this morning with throbbing legs. Just wondering if any fellow tls'ers did this or would be interested.
I haven't hung out with any biking groups, but I love biking. I routinely do a 10 mile round trip to get groceries, and plan to ride the 12 mile round trip to school a couple times a week. Where are you at? PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

semperfi1860

New

Post by semperfi1860 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 pm

How'd you find out about this? I'll be up in Austin tomorrow and going to get a bike the day after... After that I'd be down

Walter Sobchak

New

Post by Walter Sobchak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:34 pm

Both my roommates do it on a regular basis so I went to my first one last night. If you want to check out the website you can find it at --LinkRemoved--. They have pictures/news/event times etc.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm out of town next week so I can't join in until classes start. Anyone want to plan on thursday the 27th (the day after classes start) for a LS posse to join in one o' dese 'ere social cycling events?

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm definitely down for social cycling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Catch22

New

Post by Catch22 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Catch22 wrote:A bit off topic from where the rest of this thread discussion is right now, but is anyone else bringing an acoustic guitar along? I've been playing for a bit more than 2 years now and I'm super-amped about Austin's indy music scene - hope I can play at some open mic nights around or something.
I'm bringing along my voice, which I enjoy pairing with an acoustic guitar :).
Haha, perfect. :D

semperfi1860

New

Post by semperfi1860 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:14 pm

Esc wrote:I'm out of town next week so I can't join in until classes start. Anyone want to plan on thursday the 27th (the day after classes start) for a LS posse to join in one o' dese 'ere social cycling events?
For sure.

I've been researching places to buy a bike on yelp, but wondered if anyone here had an opinion on the best place to buy a mountain bike.

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Esc wrote:I'm out of town next week so I can't join in until classes start. Anyone want to plan on thursday the 27th (the day after classes start) for a LS posse to join in one o' dese 'ere social cycling events?
Sounds great to me. I bought a new road bike a few months back and have been enjoying the routes in Utah and am now hoping to find some good ones here too.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:41 am

Anyone know when we'll get the first day of class assignments?

I have to go out of town again and I don't know how long for. Obviously, I'll be back for orientation, but I might be gone all week before it. I was trying to decide if I should pack all my books since I don't know what I'll have to read from yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:00 pm

penni_rose wrote:Anyone know when we'll get the first day of class assignments?

I have to go out of town again and I don't know how long for. Obviously, I'll be back for orientation, but I might be gone all week before it. I was trying to decide if I should pack all my books since I don't know what I'll have to read from yet.
My quiz master or mentor or whatever they call it mentioned that we should get the assignments about a week before the first class.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:06 pm

mpar wrote:
penni_rose wrote:Anyone know when we'll get the first day of class assignments?

My quiz master or mentor or whatever they call it mentioned that we should get the assignments about a week before the first class.
I also will be out of town starting early tomorrow, and will not be able to read anything from the textbooks. If they want to give us assignments, they'll need to post them on Freshlaw.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm taking my computer, so I guess if class assignments come up and look difficult, I'll just have to come back. I don't think it would be a good idea to pack up all my books and take them to a hospital. I'm on my way out of town now. See you all when I get back. Can't wait to finally meet you.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:36 pm

I doubt they'll be too tyrannical about the first assignment given that we're a week out--holy shit, we're a week out--and nothing's been announced yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SoberHobo

New

Post by SoberHobo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Section 1 already has the Conlaw assignment up on blackboard. It's not too bad.... just the Constitution and a few other pages.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:53 pm

I have three questions for you all who are familiar with UT and the freshlaw website.

First, where is the gym? I'd like to start working out tomorrow. I have a map, so perhaps you could simply tell me the name of the building.
Second, where can I find old exams? I know this was discussed a few pages back in the thread, but I was in the middle of moving, and I failed to bookmark the page. Also, is there a section in the library for past exams?

Third, where would I go to find out about assignments for the first week?

Thanks a bunch.

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:00 pm

JazzOne wrote:I have three questions for you all who are familiar with UT and the freshlaw website.

First, where is the gym? I'd like to start working out tomorrow. I have a map, so perhaps you could simply tell me the name of the building.
Second, where can I find old exams? I know this was discussed a few pages back in the thread, but I was in the middle of moving, and I failed to bookmark the page. Also, is there a section in the library for past exams?

Third, where would I go to find out about assignments for the first week?

Thanks a bunch.
1. There is Gregory Gym (21st and Speedway) and also the Rec which is just south of the stadium.

2. I found them when I clicked on the link for current students on the front page of the utexas/law website. Not sure where they are in the library.

3. I found two of my first week assignments on blackboard (which can also be found in the current students link).

keayts

New

Post by keayts » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Books still for sale (message Kris Teng on facebook if interested):

Crim
-------
* Gilbert Law Summaries : Criminal Law, 2001 (George Dix , ISBN: 9780159007679) Slightly used, unmarked - $15

* Emanuel's Law in a Flash: Criminal Law, 2007 (Steven Emanuel, ISBN: 0735563977) Like new condition, unmarked - $20

* Criminal Law Applied: Arguments, Exams, and Answers, 2004 (John Delaney, ISBN: 0960851461) Like new condition, unmarked - $25

* Criminal Law (Hornbook), 2003 (Wayne LaFave, ISBN: 031414997X) Slightly used, unmarked - $50

* TopiChart Law Chart: Criminal Law (complete set of 5 charts) - contains comparison between elements of common law and Texas Penal Code for homicide crimes, defenses to crimes. Also provides an analysis of basic elements of all crimes. One chart bent in half but completely legible. Original price: $25, Asking price: $12.

Con Law
------------
* Examples & Explanations: Constitutional Law - National Power and Federalism (Christopher May and Allan Ides, ISBN 0735562113) Slightly used, unmarked - $20

CivPro
---------
* Federal Rules of Court 2008 Edition, 2008 (LexisNexis Staff, ISBN: 1422450414) Like new condition, unmarked - $25.

Misc
-----
* Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams, 1999 (Richard Michael Fisch, Jeremy Paul, ISBN: 0890897603) Like new condition, unmarked - $18

* Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience, 2004 (Robert H. Miller, ISBN: 0312318812) Like new condition, unmarked - $7

* Acing Your First Year of Law School: The Ten Steps to Success You Won't Learn in Class, 1999 (Shana Connell Noyes and Henry S. Noyes, ISBN: 0837709121) Like new condition, unmarked - $5.
Last edited by keayts on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”