Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
TheIdiot

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by TheIdiot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:29 am

OperaAttorney wrote:Awesome. I was worried I'd have Graglia for Con Law, but fortunately, Providence smiled on me again. Forbath for Con Law will be great! Unless I have a change of heart, I'll probably take Alternative Dispute Resolution with Alan Rau. I like the guy.

By far my favorite prof this fall: hilarious and smart as hell.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 am

TheIdiot wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Awesome. I was worried I'd have Graglia for Con Law, but fortunately, Providence smiled on me again. Forbath for Con Law will be great! Unless I have a change of heart, I'll probably take Alternative Dispute Resolution with Alan Rau. I like the guy.

By far my favorite prof this fall: hilarious and smart as hell.
+1000

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 pm

Graglia is definitely an interesting character. I think his reputation is unfairly hurt by many people who talk poorly about him without even listening to what he says or meeting him.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:13 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Graglia is definitely an interesting character. I think his reputation is unfairly hurt by many people who talk poorly about him without even listening to what he says or meeting him.
Can you share why you think Graglia deserves a better reputation? I'm curious.

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Section 4 profs? Woolley, Dammann, Wagner?

Also, we have to take three courses + elective + LR/LW? Is it just me or does that seem like way too much work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:21 pm

yournamehere wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Section 4 profs? Woolley, Dammann, Wagner?

Also, we have to take three courses + elective + LR/LW? Is it just me or does that seem like way too much work?
Someone told me that they all went to Yale. Also, they've been here long enough that they should actually have old finals available which is an improvement.

It does seem like a lot, yes, but it looks like you could take a 1 hour elective if you're really worried about it.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:24 pm

yournamehere wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Section 4 profs? Woolley, Dammann, Wagner?

It is more in the way of classes, but then we only have 14 credits this semester, so it's not too surprising that the pace will pick up a bit.

Some of the 1L+upperclass electives look way more interesting than the 1L-only electives, but I'm unsure of the wisdom of taking courses with 2Ls and 3Ls. I don't want to get slaughtered. I guess I'll see if any of the classes I'm interested in are compatible with our core schedule, and then decide whether to cop out with brief writing or go for the more substantial class.

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:48 pm

penni_rose wrote:they've been here long enough that they should actually have old finals available which is an improvement.
+1 on old finals ... i've been meaning to go to Laurin's office hours to ask her what the hell her final is going to be like, but haven't gotten myself together to go just yet.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Esc wrote:

It is more in the way of classes, but then we only have 14 credits this semester, so it's not too surprising that the pace will pick up a bit.

Some of the 1L+upperclass electives look way more interesting than the 1L-only electives, but I'm unsure of the wisdom of taking courses with 2Ls and 3Ls. I don't want to get slaughtered. I guess I'll see if any of the classes I'm interested in are compatible with our core schedule, and then decide whether to cop out with brief writing or go for the more substantial class.
I have looked through the list, and think the brief writing & advanced legal research course would be the most useful. Employers are most likely to be disappointed with your research skills, not your lack of knowledge about feminism or race & the constitution. If you do get some sort of summer employment, these skills will be disproportionately useful. It should augment the regular legal writing class, as well. Law school drowns you in theoretical bullshit while neglecting practical skills.

I also remember one of the electives being required for eligibility to take part in moot court next term.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blackknight

New

Post by blackknight » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Esc wrote:

I remember someone saying that some teachers will have different curves set up for 1Ls and then for the upper people. That might be something you want to look into with a certain professor.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Snooker wrote:
Esc wrote:

I have looked through the list, and think the brief writing & advanced legal research course would be the most useful. Employers are most likely to be disappointed with your research skills, not your lack of knowledge about feminism or race & the constitution. If you do get some sort of summer employment, these skills will be disproportionately useful. It should augment the regular legal writing class, as well. Law school drowns you in theoretical bullshit while neglecting practical skills.

I also remember one of the electives being required for eligibility to take part in moot court next term.
I recognize the benefits of taking Brief Writing & Advanced Legal Research next semester. Nevertheless, I think 1Ls with clearly defined interests might be better off taking a foundational elective. Law school is only six semesters long, and not all foundational electives are offered regularly.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:06 am

Is the posted list of 1L & Upperclass electives exhaustive? If so, what foundational 1L electives did you have in mind? (aside from the IP electives) I have pretty clearly defined interests (corporate)

I also share esc's concern about taking classes with 2L/3Ls. He points to the path of least resistance, but it's not a bad choice.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 am

After reviewing the schedule some more, I've decided that there is only one specific upperclass course that I am extremely interested in. I plan to talk to the professor and see if taking it would be advisable or not. If not, I'll go with brief writing, which though it doesn't seem interesting, would satisfy the professional skills requirement, and might even be useful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 am

Snooker wrote:Is the posted list of 1L & Upperclass electives exhaustive? If so, what foundational 1L electives did you have in mind? (aside from the IP electives)
There aren't too many foundational electives. There's Alternative Dispute Resolution, which I'm interested in. I'm not sure I'd call the available IP electives foundational. Unlike Alternative Dispute Resolution, they're pretty narrow in scope.
Snooker wrote:I also share esc's concern about taking classes with 2L/3Ls. He points to the path of least resistance, but it's not a bad choice.
Certainly, it's a valid concern. I guess I've never been one to do whatever everyone else does. Call me silly.

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:47 pm

A little off topic, but does anyone know if the 2009 incoming class statistics have been released yet?

Oh and I was thinking of taking Anderson's class (Mass Media and Entertainment Law). He has been my favorite professor so far.
Though I might have to take brief writing if that is in fact a prereq for moot court

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 pm

I talked a few more 2Ls and 3Ls today. The consensus seems to be Brief Writing & Oral Advocacy :(.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:I talked a few more 2Ls and 3Ls today. The consensus seems to be Brief Writing & Oral Advocacy :(.
It is boring, especially the advanced research component, but does greatly help your writing and research. There's not much opportunity to practice your writing skills in law school, even though it is a very valuable commodity. So getting to take a small class with the writing professors is, I think, a great opportunity. And if you're interested in the 1L moot court competition in the spring, your graded brief & oral argument will serve as your competition tryout. You can still do the competition w/o the brief writing class, but I can't imagine how hard that would be. I believe 1 or 2 people who didn't take the class get one of the 32 spots every year.

The research componenet, on the other hand, is also very useful but infinitely more mind numbing. It's taught by the librarians, and they are hardcore about research. You will be shown so many more places to find things than you ever will in your legal r&w classes. But bring some coffee. Or a shot of adrenaline.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Wooley is great. He did his undergrad at Stanford and law school at Yale. But if you're from Mississippi, get ready to be on call for the multitude of Mississippi cases. He usually tries to find some personal tie-in between a case and the person he's going to call on, so be warned. He's got a ton of his old exams online which are the same 10 years ago as they are now.

Damman's a quirky guy. He went to Yale for law school too. He can seem a little intimidating when he's speaking about a complex issue or when he calls on you, but he quickly brings it back down to earth with some kind of Tom Cruise hypo. Just make sure to do the reading when your day to be on call rolls around. He doesn't call on hardly anybody and does most of the talking himself, but he will be very irritated if you're not prepared when he calls on you.

If you guys want any insight on anymore profs, just put it out there. Or if you wanted to know something about an elective next year or journals or organizations, put that out there too.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:43 pm

countbizaller wrote:

Wooley is great. He did his undergrad at Stanford and law school at Yale. But if you're from Mississippi, get ready to be on call for the multitude of Mississippi cases. He usually tries to find some personal tie-in between a case and the person he's going to call on, so be warned. He's got a ton of his old exams online which are the same 10 years ago as they are now.

Damman's a quirky guy. He went to Yale for law school too. He can seem a little intimidating when he's speaking about a complex issue or when he calls on you, but he quickly brings it back down to earth with some kind of Tom Cruise hypo. Just make sure to do the reading when your day to be on call rolls around. He doesn't call on hardly anybody and does most of the talking himself, but he will be very irritated if you're not prepared when he calls on you.

If you guys want any insight on anymore profs, just put it out there. Or if you wanted to know something about an elective next year or journals or organizations, put that out there too.
Thanks for the info.

Here's are some questions:

How are the journals ranked? I know Texas Law Review is numero uno. How what about the others?

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:55 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
countbizaller wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Here's are some questions:

How are the journals ranked? I know Texas Law Review is numero uno. How what about the others?
I don't think there's an unofficial ranking of the journals. That said, being on a journal that matches up with your interests does look better on a resume than otherwise. And being on their editorial board helps too. Here's a link to a ranking system that Washington & Lee provides. There aren't many journal ranking lists available, and I think this is one of the more widely referenced ones.

http://lawlib.wlu.edu/LJ/

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Any report on the median #'s for ya'lls class?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Bustang wrote:Any report on the median #'s for ya'lls class?
Median GPA: 3.14
Median LSAT: 159

We're a well-rounded bunch.

I know nothing.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:09 am

Daico wrote:
Bustang wrote:Any report on the median #'s for ya'lls class?
Median GPA: 3.14
Median LSAT: 159

We're a well-rounded bunch.

I know nothing.
UTTT......we own. :mrgreen:

To be more serious, we still know nothing. Hopefully we learn the numbers this week.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:26 pm

We had some discussion about the electives for next semester going where a lot of people said they would probably take brief writing. I've thought about, but having discovered that brief writing is pass/fail after 1L, I'm not convinced that I want to take it for a grade next semester. Anyone else feel that way?

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:42 pm

I feel like this has been discussed, but I was wondering anyone and suggestions of places to go watch the football games on TV, for those who foolishly did not buy tickets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”