Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
de5igual

Silver

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by de5igual » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Elms wrote:My finaid includes grad plus loans. Maybe they adjust those up if the rest of your finaid doesn't cover everything?
hopefully...it looks like they're using the EFC amount as what they expect you to pay out in cash each year.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:16 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicar1492

New

Post by vicar1492 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:41 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
davidin wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Got in on 3/17. I never scrolled down to the bottom of my status checker, so I found out today because of the ASW e-vite. Although I'm waiting on a grip of schools to respond, I'm pleased with my UT Austin acceptance and would go there gladly.

I'll have questions at some point. But I just wanted to say hello to the rest of you.

Cheers.

OA
Congrats OA! You gonna try and make it to the ASW?

oh, and hello back!
Thanks, D. I want to attend the ASD, but I just found out about my acceptance. Tix and lodging will be expensive. If I can figure out the logistics, I will be there. We'll see.

By the way, UT Austin is the one school I predicted would reject me :lol:. I'm from California and wasn't sure UT would like me enough. This acceptance is huge because I intend to make TX my home after law school. I love Houston, which I've visited several times. Have any Texans here visited the Houston Grand Opera? It's a lovely opera house, and its director has a thing for certain operas that I love.
Wait...you love Houston? I grew up in Houston, even I don't love Houston. Maybe living there for awhile will change your opinion.

Anyways...just got notice of the $15,000 scholarship so I will definately be attending UT come fall!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:56 pm

vicar1492 wrote: Wait...you love Houston? I grew up in Houston, even I don't love Houston. Maybe living there for awhile will change your opinion.

Anyways...just got notice of the $15,000 scholarship so I will definately be attending UT come fall!
I'm a non-trad, vicar. I've lived lots of places and know what I like. I've spent some time in Houston and would love living there. I'll just hop on a plane when I get bored. Otherwise, I'll live a happy life while my friends in NY, LA, Chicago, and DC cry about all the money they spend just to live ;).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:28 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
vicar1492 wrote: Wait...you love Houston? I grew up in Houston, even I don't love Houston. Maybe living there for awhile will change your opinion.

I'm a non-trad, vicar. I've lived lots of places and know what I like. I've spent some time in Houston and would love living there. I'll just hop on a plane when I get bored. Otherwise, I'll live a happy life while my friends in NY, LA, Chicago, and DC cry about all the money they spend just to live ;).
Yeah... I'm currently in Fort Worth but I've visited Houston- not a big fan but to each their own. Lots of people like it okay, I guess. I love Fort Worth...just hate the heat in Texas. :|

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Elms wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Yeah... I'm currently in Fort Worth but I've visited Houston- not a big fan but to each their own. Lots of people like it okay, I guess. I love Fort Worth...just hate the heat in Texas. :|
Ugh. Having lived basically all over the metroplex I gotta say Fort Worth is not my cup of tea. Dallas beats it by miles. And Houston ain't half bad.

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 pm

art vandelay wrote:
Elms wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Ugh. Having lived basically all over the metroplex I gotta say Fort Worth is not my cup of tea. Dallas beats it by miles. And Houston ain't half bad.
Haha, we must have different tastes in cities. I'm not a big Dallas fan and prefer Fort Worth by a long shot. :)

Vandypepe

New

Post by Vandypepe » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm in at UT (top choice) and pretty much definitely going.

(I'll be the guy at the ASW with a sign that reads "Tentatively looking for roommates. No previous experience needed.")

I hate to sound like a complete flake, but are Grad Plus Loans the same as Stafford Loans? And what info. is included in the UT financial aid letter? Any info would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brittanyfowler

New

Post by brittanyfowler » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Esc wrote:
joesrevenge wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:Well, me and Esc are both in Austin, so just give it some time.

No luck here and I am also in Austin...right next to the campus. Maybe its for those with significant scholarships or something of the like
If that is the case, then brittany should be receiving one soon.
Chad and I got back today and both received invitations. Our RSVPs will be a couple of days late, but hopefully that won't matter...

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm

I got my finaid awhile back. I think they definitely overestimate the cost of attendance. Aside from tuition, it definitely does not cost that much to live in Austin. I have a lot of friends who go to UT and no one pays that much per semester for living in Austin.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Esc wrote:
jdn012 wrote:I got my finaid awhile back. I think they definitely overestimate the cost of attendance. Aside from tuition, it definitely does not cost that much to live in Austin. I have a lot of friends who go to UT and no one pays that much per semester for living in Austin.
Maybe they are building a lot of visits to 6th St. and the Warehouse District into the CoA :wink:
haha, yes....not to mention traveling to the Red River Rivalry. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:29 am

jdn012 wrote:
Esc wrote:
jdn012 wrote:I got my finaid awhile back. I think they definitely overestimate the cost of attendance. Aside from tuition, it definitely does not cost that much to live in Austin. I have a lot of friends who go to UT and no one pays that much per semester for living in Austin.
Maybe they are building a lot of visits to 6th St. and the Warehouse District into the CoA :wink:
haha, yes....not to mention traveling to the Red River Rivalry. :)
hhahahaa, sooners suck :twisted:

nahmorlah

New

Post by nahmorlah » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:00 am

I may be joining all of you this coming fall. I'm still deciding whether or not to GO to law school, but if I decide to go, UT it is. Overall, I'm pretty ecstatic about getting in. I went to UT for my undergrad (which was fortunately during our national championship run) and would love to be in school when we get our next two (not to mention UT is a great law school :mrgreen: ).

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 pm

I've committed. Add me to the list! HOOK EM HORNS

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 pm

JoeShmo wrote:I've committed. Add me to the list! HOOK EM HORNS
Congrats and hook 'em, Mr Schmo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:24 pm

art vandelay wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:I've committed. Add me to the list! HOOK EM HORNS
Congrats and hook 'em, Mr Schmo.
What's up with all these UT tars?

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Esc wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Elms wrote:My finaid includes grad plus loans. Maybe they adjust those up if the rest of your finaid doesn't cover everything?
hopefully...it looks like they're using the EFC amount as what they expect you to pay out in cash each year.
goddamn. My EFC isn't very large, but there's no way I can pay it for 3 years. Now I'm getting nervous about that FinAid letter....
What are you worried about? Don't you have full scholarship? EFC shouldn't affect your ability to take out whatever loans the school estimates you need for COL.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:36 pm

vicar1492 wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
davidin wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Got in on 3/17. I never scrolled down to the bottom of my status checker, so I found out today because of the ASW e-vite. Although I'm waiting on a grip of schools to respond, I'm pleased with my UT Austin acceptance and would go there gladly.

I'll have questions at some point. But I just wanted to say hello to the rest of you.

Cheers.

OA
Congrats OA! You gonna try and make it to the ASW?

oh, and hello back!
Thanks, D. I want to attend the ASD, but I just found out about my acceptance. Tix and lodging will be expensive. If I can figure out the logistics, I will be there. We'll see.

By the way, UT Austin is the one school I predicted would reject me :lol:. I'm from California and wasn't sure UT would like me enough. This acceptance is huge because I intend to make TX my home after law school. I love Houston, which I've visited several times. Have any Texans here visited the Houston Grand Opera? It's a lovely opera house, and its director has a thing for certain operas that I love.
Wait...you love Houston? I grew up in Houston, even I don't love Houston. Maybe living there for awhile will change your opinion.

Houston isn't bad if you don't leave the loop. Otherwise there's a lot of ghetto out there. The restaurants are good, and there's lots to do. People are friendly and housing is cheap. Leave suburbs and snarling hour-long commutes from Sugarland and Spring to the dogs.

Compare it to-
NYC/Boston: Everything costs an arm and a leg and functionally, there's the same stuff to do. People also aren't as nice, even if they are politically informed. Weather is absolutely freezing.
Hawaii: Paradise...but virtually no economy. Some attorneys do run around in flowered shirts, which is cool. On the other hand, there is no rail, parking costs $4/hr wherever you go, all the road signs are missing.
California: LA is a dump. SF/Silicon Valley are supposed to be much nicer, but again are very expensive, and to boot SF is a VERY crowded legal market.

There's plenty of great lifestyle cities around - Austin is a good example, Portland another. But getting a legal job there is difficult. If you can't cut Austin, Houston will always be there, and there's plenty on offer. Moreover, with COL so low, you can afford it.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm

I received my FinAid notification today. It gave a COA of approximately $21.5k/semester, thus $43k/year. Sobering numbers, these.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:58 pm

Esc wrote:I received my FinAid notification today. It gave a COA of approximately $21.5k/semester, thus $43k/year. Sobering numbers, these.
Yeah, when I look at FinAid stuff I start thinking... Do I really want to go to law school?!?

I did talk to the financial aid office while I was at UT today, and the lady did tell me that you can borrow Grad Plus loans up to the COA. So this is indeed the case, thankfully.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:00 pm

I still haven't received any scholly info :(.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Elms wrote:
Esc wrote:I received my FinAid notification today. It gave a COA of approximately $21.5k/semester, thus $43k/year. Sobering numbers, these.
Yeah, when I look at FinAid stuff I start thinking... Do I really want to go to law school?!?

I did talk to the financial aid office while I was at UT today, and the lady did tell me that you can borrow Grad Plus loans up to the COA. So this is indeed the case, thankfully.
if this scholly negotiation doesn't go through, i'm looking at 180K in loans :shock: and i still have 40K in undergrad debt, so 220!!!! i want to shoot myself now

brittanyfowler

New

Post by brittanyfowler » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Really? Goodness! Why so high, I wonder?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”