Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
art vandelay

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by art vandelay » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:51 am

This should be in the ABA's interests, too.
Naw dude, it's not "in the ABA's interests" at all. It is in the interest of the members of the ABA. However, the ABA itself - the administrators of the ABA - depend on member dues. The more lawyers, the more members; the more members, the more dues. It's sad but true. Tha ABA is just another guild that does not actually work in the interests of its members. That's why we have hundreds of law schools and thousands of broke-ass people with JDs and loads of debt.

Screw the ABA.

Tacitus

New

Post by Tacitus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Esc wrote:I believe that in 5 years, UT could, by general consensus, be a better school than GULC. At some point assuming that UT (or, for the sake of the argument, Vandy or UCLA) does improve so substantially, USNWR has to acknowledge the change, or become irrelevant.

I don't believe that time has arrived, but, over the next few years, I will be curious to see if USNWR recognizes gradual changes or if it keeps the rankings essentially static until one year, bammo, they change everything in a big shakeup that will sell a bunch of magazines.
10% of the USNWR score is Money Spent/Student. UT is making a concerted effort to lower their incoming classes to drive that score up. Sager is making a concerted effort to raise their endowment. With PT students included in GULC's overall score now, I have to think that UT is getting closer than ever (unless GULC just has oodles of money).

Here's to that combining with an upward trend in peer-assessment scores to knock GULC out of the T14.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Tacitus wrote:
Esc wrote:I believe that in 5 years, UT could, by general consensus, be a better school than GULC. At some point assuming that UT (or, for the sake of the argument, Vandy or UCLA) does improve so substantially, USNWR has to acknowledge the change, or become irrelevant.

I don't believe that time has arrived, but, over the next few years, I will be curious to see if USNWR recognizes gradual changes or if it keeps the rankings essentially static until one year, bammo, they change everything in a big shakeup that will sell a bunch of magazines.
10% of the USNWR score is Money Spent/Student. UT is making a concerted effort to lower their incoming classes to drive that score up. Sager is making a concerted effort to raise their endowment. With PT students included in GULC's overall score now, I have to think that UT is getting closer than ever (unless GULC just has oodles of money).

Here's to that combining with an upward trend in peer-assessment scores to knock GULC out of the T14.
Yeah, last year's class ('11) was supposed the be the first class to be under 400, but they overenrolled slightly so it should be ours ('12) that hits that milestone (or sinks under it? Either way).

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Daico wrote:
Tacitus wrote:

Yeah, last year's class ('11) was supposed the be the first class to be under 400, but they overenrolled slightly so it should be ours ('12) that hits that milestone (or sinks under it? Either way).
This is very interesting. UT seems to have given away a ton of scholarship money this year.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:56 pm

art vandelay wrote:
This should be in the ABA's interests, too.
Naw dude, it's not "in the ABA's interests" at all. It is in the interest of the members of the ABA. However, the ABA itself - the administrators of the ABA - depend on member dues. The more lawyers, the more members; the more members, the more dues. It's sad but true. Tha ABA is just another guild that does not actually work in the interests of its members. That's why we have hundreds of law schools and thousands of broke-ass people with JDs and loads of debt.

Screw the ABA.
Thats what I meant (lawyers), but good point about ABA administration corruption.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Daico wrote:
Tacitus wrote:

I wonder how this will affect firm hiring in UT. Will a bigger percentage of the class get jobs? I know i-banks and consulting firms go to top school campuses, and say, OK we'll interview 30 candidates and hire 15. Law firms draw lines at percentages, but behind those percents, certainly they're looking to take x# of law students. Will that mean they'll recruit deeper into the class?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Snooker wrote:
Daico wrote:
Tacitus wrote:

I wonder how this will affect firm hiring in UT. Will a bigger percentage of the class get jobs? I know i-banks and consulting firms go to top school campuses, and say, OK we'll interview 30 candidates and hire 15. Law firms draw lines at percentages, but behind those percents, certainly they're looking to take x# of law students. Will that mean they'll recruit deeper into the class?
probably

About the class size, I remember them saying that they were going to try to keep the class size around 380-390 too.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm coming to Texas! You can add me to the list :)

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Daico wrote:
Tacitus wrote:

This is very interesting. UT seems to have given away a ton of scholarship money this year.
I do not think we will have any idea of what our class size will be until the official numbers are released. Remember that the number of acceptances a school doles out is always an educated guess, based on a historical formula assuming a certain yield rate, with the goal of getting between X and Y number of students to matriculate. Because of the economic clusterfuck, no one really knows how this year's yield rates will be affected. It is certainly conceivable that UT, given its lower cost than the other top law schools, could see a higher-than-normal yield rate (especially if it is giving away alot of scholarship money that would qualify out-of-state students for resident tuition) and thus a larger class size than predicted.

This could have the effect, as far as USNWR rankings go, of decreasing the money/student ratio, but increasing the yield rate. As far as actual things that matter go, our Class of 2012 could be the first class with <400 students. Or it could be closer to 450. There's no way to tell right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Updated UT Law Class of 2012. As always, PM me for corrections and/or updates.

aaa111
art vandelay
brittanyfowler
Camm
Catch22
davidin
Esc
jaxon05
JazzOne
JoeShmo
joesrevenge
longhornnyc
lsatismybitchlover
mlloyd
nahmorlah
Never knows best
OperaAttorney
semperfi1860
SoberHobo
SSDD
Tacitus
TheIdiot
txag_09
Last edited by Esc on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:30 am

And how the list grows! Good stuff! :D

nahmorlah

New

Post by nahmorlah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:07 pm

This thread got more action in the past 4 days than in the past month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Might it be a good idea to include where we hail from? I'm from California and am curious to see how many non-Texans are headed to Austin this fall. What do y'all think?

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:25 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:Might it be a good idea to include where we hail from? I'm from California and am curious to see how many non-Texans are headed to Austin this fall. What do y'all think?
Interested in going back to Cali to practice?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:26 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:Might it be a good idea to include where we hail from? I'm from California and am curious to see how many non-Texans are headed to Austin this fall. What do y'all think?
I'm from west Texas (El Paso), something like 700 miles from Austin. I will be making the drive with my fiance, one moving truck, two personal vehicles, and our two dogs. Can't wait!!!!

longhornnyc

New

Post by longhornnyc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm moving back to Texas after 2 years in NYC. Anyone interested in playing squash a couple times a week next fall?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm still on the fence between new york and texas... but will most likely end up in Austin next fall! I'm from Houston, but went to a small lib arts school out of state in a cold place, so it will be nice to be back.

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:23 pm

davidin wrote:I'm originally from El Paso, but I've lived in Austin for the past 10 years. Jazz...can you bring me some Chico's when you come? :lol:
lol

My mom used to freeze some Chico's Tacos and send them to me when I was in UG. There is even a wikipedia article about Chico's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico%27s_Tacos

My cousin in Austin asked me to bring her some Kiki's. I guess I'll need a huge cooler for all the food orders.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm

art vandelay wrote:
Not really. I'm over California. For the last 5 years I have nursed the desire to make Texas my home. Thank Heaven for UT!

I've visited Dallas and Houston. Dallas? 1 Thumb down. Houston? 2 Thumbs up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:37 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
Not really. I'm over California. For the last 5 years I have nursed the desire to make Texas my home. Thank Heaven for UT!

Why the disparity?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:14 pm

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:

Why the disparity?
The other was shot off by a stray bullet in Dallas. Duh. :roll:

SSDD

New

Post by SSDD » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm from a small town called "Kountze", right outside of Beaumont in East Texas. If you hear someone at the law school that sounds like they're from Alabama, either a) well, they are of course or b) you are in the presence of SSDD :lol:

Sorry to not add anything to regional diversity; I'm about 30 minutes from Louisiana if that means anything :lol: yeah... didn't think so

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”