NYU 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jpfrawg

Re: NYU 2012

Postby jpfrawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm

I'll be seeing you guys in August, unless you live in the Bay Area. I'm not sure if it's worth going to Admitted Students Day in SF, since I'm ED, not much to sell to me.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:53 pm

For those of you who have paid your deposits already, have any of you set up your NYUHome accounts?

https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/jd/nyuhome.cfm

I submitted my deposit over three weeks ago, and I still can't activate. Just wondering if any of you who have already paid can...

jpfrawg

Postby jpfrawg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:38 pm

I paid a while ago as well, and I cannot create an account either. I called in to the office; they said they'd send us an email with the details.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am

Cool, thanks!

bearyfun

Postby bearyfun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 am

Hey all. Has anyone received a call from a recent alum? I have a voicemail from one. I was wondering if everyone gets them and whether they're matched up randomly or on the basis of some shared interest or something.

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:35 am

I got an email from an alum saying i can call him with questions. he didn't seem to be a particular match to my interests but still a nice gesture.

question, on another thread someone from last year was saying that it's better to tell NYU about other school's scholarship offers before nyu offers anything, since they don't really reevaluate once they've decided on your award or aid. but seems a little preemptive to just say, hey nyu, fyi x school gave me this...

what do you guys think?

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:44 am

bearyfun wrote:Hey all. Has anyone received a call from a recent alum? I have a voicemail from one. I was wondering if everyone gets them and whether they're matched up randomly or on the basis of some shared interest or something.

i feel left out! i want a call from an alum.

bearyfun

Postby bearyfun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Pumpkin wrote:I got an email from an alum saying i can call him with questions. he didn't seem to be a particular match to my interests but still a nice gesture.

question, on another thread someone from last year was saying that it's better to tell NYU about other school's scholarship offers before nyu offers anything, since they don't really reevaluate once they've decided on your award or aid. but seems a little preemptive to just say, hey nyu, fyi x school gave me this...

what do you guys think?

Not sure - wondering the same thing, myself. Also, I know NYU gives out a decent amount of cash apart from the named scholarships. Does anyone know when they make those offers? Is it after you've completed financial aid forms?

carter17

Postby carter17 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:27 pm

yeah, i spoke with the alumn who contacted me the day after i received the email. he was tremendously helpful and very insightful. he had average grades and nonetheless managed to snag a job at a vault t20. he emphasized student body, location, and the fact that nyu is on the rise.

Artvark1

Postby Artvark1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 pm

bearyfun wrote:
Pumpkin wrote:I got an email from an alum saying i can call him with questions. he didn't seem to be a particular match to my interests but still a nice gesture.

what do you guys think?

Not sure - wondering the same thing, myself. Also, I know NYU gives out a decent amount of cash apart from the named scholarships. Does anyone know when they make those offers? Is it after you've completed financial aid forms?

Bump... anybody have information on NYU scholarships... I was admitted 3 weeks ago. When do they notify? Can anyone predict $ for 169/3.95?

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Merit? Probably nothing... I have similar numbers and am not expecting any merit (or need really, either). You never know though. Congrats on getting in!

Artvark1

Postby Artvark1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 pm

What do they offer regarding need based? My parents make about 90K per year combined. Do they offer grants, loans, scholarships? What are the possible options?

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm

http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/index.htm

I don't think NYU uses parental information (FAFSA considers us independents). They haven't released their fin aid forms yet so I might be wrong. Anyone know?

dbt

Postby dbt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Sobriquet wrote:http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/index.htm

I don't think NYU uses parental information (FAFSA considers us independents). They haven't released their fin aid forms yet so I might be wrong. Anyone know?

Wow that would be great!

jpfrawg

Postby jpfrawg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:10 am

Maybe a current student can provide some real insight here, but it looks like NYU will use your parental information.
How do I apply for the Law School’s institutional financial aid?
To apply for any institutional grants, you must complete the Law School’s institutional financial aid application. The online application will be available to admitted J.D. students in mid to late February 2009. We encourage all incoming J.D. students to complete the application.

Is parental information required on the Law School’s financial aid application?
Students wishing to be considered for any institutional aid are required to provide parental financial information on the application, regardless of the student’s age, marital status, or type of institutional aid. It has been our experience that without this information, the majority of students appear to have need. This makes it increasingly difficult to determine who are the students with the greatest financial need. Parental information helps us place all applicants on a more level playing field; and allows us to direct aid to those students with more finite personal and familial resources.
Parents in different households may complete separate applications (photocopies are acceptable). All information is kept confidential to the extent permitted by federal and state law.

What if my parents are unwilling to complete the financial aid application?
In order to be fair to all of the students and families who comply with this requirement, applications without parental information will not be considered for any institutional aid. Requests for exemption from this policy are handled on a case-by-case basis and are granted only in extraordinary circumstances. If you believe your family situation warrants an exemption for one or both parents, you may submit a formal written appeal to our office setting forth the basis of the request. You must provide detailed information and, whenever possible, documentation in support of the appeal (e.g., court documents, letters from social worker, member of the clergy).

From the admitted students Financial Aid FAQs

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:49 am

anyone know if the merit based scholarships come from the financial aid app that will be available in mid-feb? Or is it just something they distribute?

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:12 am

Haha...ok so I guess I'm not getting any aid! Darnit!

drivingmyselfcrazy

Postby drivingmyselfcrazy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:16 am

Can't tell ya'll how much and how long I have been waiting to join this group but see everyone at ASW!!!!!!

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:19 am

Congrats!!!! Are you enrolling at NYU for sure?

drivingmyselfcrazy

Postby drivingmyselfcrazy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:24 am

Still waiting on official rejections from HYS, I suppose, like everyone else...but I have pretty much no shot there and I am definitely psyched about NYU.

you?

bgc

Postby bgc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Is anyone going to the admitted students guided tour on friday? I don't know if I'll be able to make it for the ASW, so I'll be there.

Any advice for good classes to attend on friday morning?

muse

Postby muse » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:07 pm

hiii!!

I'm pretty sure I am going to be attending though of course it all depends on financial aid offers...

But is anyone looking at housing options that are not dorms in the East Vil? I'm a native NYCer but I still can't reconcil spending $1500 for a dark dorm cubicle with stock furniture and terrible mattresses.

How long after your acceptence did you get admitted students packets and phone calls from alums? I haven't gotten either of those tho I got my acceptence two weeks ago...

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:25 pm

yeah i think if i end up going with nyu, i'll be looking for apts in brooklyn..

bgc

Postby bgc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:43 pm

bgc wrote:Any advice for good classes to attend on friday morning?

Bump.

yagrish

Postby yagrish » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:37 am

muse wrote:hiii!!

I'm pretty sure I am going to be attending though of course it all depends on financial aid offers...

But is anyone looking at housing options that are not dorms in the East Vil? I'm a native NYCer but I still can't reconcil spending $1500 for a dark dorm cubicle with stock furniture and terrible mattresses.

How long after your acceptence did you get admitted students packets and phone calls from alums? I haven't gotten either of those tho I got my acceptence two weeks ago...

Same here. Housing prices in addition to tuition are making my head explode every time I think about it! I am going to live on campus the first year, however - just to get used to the place and meet some people.

As for the question, the packet came about a week after acceptance. I've only got 1 alum call so far (about a month after acceptance) - very nice conversation.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”