GW 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
udlordly
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby udlordly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:33 am

nallku wrote:
udlordly wrote:
mikewilliams wrote:Anyone know if they do travel stipends for visits? Any attempts?


I read that if you end up enrolling, they will reimburse up to $150 for travel (not hotel, though)


Where did you read this?


If you go to the admitted students portal and then click on the link that says "preview days" it's on the bottom of the page..."We will be pleased to reimburse any admitted student who ultimately chooses to matriculate at GW Law for up to $150.00 of the transportation costs that he or she incurs to attend any of our April preview events (air, bus, train, taxi or subway fare; mileage for use of personal vehicle; etc.).
We are not able to reimburse for any lodging expenses. Upon matriculation, students will be required to complete a request for reimbursement and to provide original receipts showing the specific expenses incurred."

Supernana
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby Supernana » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: lodging I think if you call the admissions office and ask they will set you up with a current student to host you for the ASW. I'm crashing with friends, so I haven't asked myself, but my friend who goes there mentioned something about it.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby omg » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:40 am

Ok, so...the 'GW grad, taking questions' thread (or something to that effect) made me kinda depressed, since it was pretty negative and there's like an 85% chance that I'll be going to GW. (Although the person who started it was really informative and nice to answer so many questions...)

Can we get some GW love up in here? There must be really positive aspects to the school (and life at it!), right? Right?

Supernana
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby Supernana » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:14 pm

I read the GW grad taking questions thread and yeah, it was a little off-putting but it is one person's perspective.

I have a friend at GW right now who loves it and is doing big law in NY this summer. She said most of her friends who are graduating have offers from their 2L summers. She is in the top-third of her class, so I'm sure that helps.

In her experience the career services office was very helpful, especially with helping her improve her interview skills.

So everone's experience is different ...

User avatar
blm09
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby blm09 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 am

Any other LGBT TLSers considering GW? It recently shot to the top of my list, so I'll most likely end up in DC next year. I hear it's not a bad city to be gay in.. haha

User avatar
hoffb86
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

Re: GW 2012

Postby hoffb86 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 am

blm09 wrote:Any other LGBT TLSers considering GW? It recently shot to the top of my list, so I'll most likely end up in DC next year. I hear it's not a bad city to be gay in.. haha


im not LGBT, and I didn't get into GW (though it was my top choice)... but I live in the "gay-borhood" / dupont circle... which is not far from GW at all...

marburger06
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby marburger06 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 am

blm09 wrote:Any other LGBT TLSers considering GW? It recently shot to the top of my list, so I'll most likely end up in DC next year. I hear it's not a bad city to be gay in.. haha
]

DC, and ESPECIALLY GW, has a ridiculously strong LGBT community. I sometimes feel like straight men are in the minority, haha. You'll love it :)

User avatar
labellavita
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:27 am

Re: GW 2012

Postby labellavita » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 am

marburger06 wrote:
blm09 wrote:Any other LGBT TLSers considering GW? It recently shot to the top of my list, so I'll most likely end up in DC next year. I hear it's not a bad city to be gay in.. haha
]

DC, and ESPECIALLY GW, has a ridiculously strong LGBT community. I sometimes feel like straight men are in the minority, haha. You'll love it :)


I spent some time in DC last summer and hung out in Dupont Circle a bit. My first night hanging out there, after a few hours of walking/hanging around, I turned to my friend and was like "Does this area...I don't know...seem a little...gay..to you?" And he laughed and said that's just how the neighborhood is. I'm sure you'll love it and feel very comfortable lol.

User avatar
blm09
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby blm09 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:18 pm

labellavita wrote:
marburger06 wrote:
blm09 wrote:Any other LGBT TLSers considering GW? It recently shot to the top of my list, so I'll most likely end up in DC next year. I hear it's not a bad city to be gay in.. haha
]

DC, and ESPECIALLY GW, has a ridiculously strong LGBT community. I sometimes feel like straight men are in the minority, haha. You'll love it :)


I spent some time in DC last summer and hung out in Dupont Circle a bit. My first night hanging out there, after a few hours of walking/hanging around, I turned to my friend and was like "Does this area...I don't know...seem a little...gay..to you?" And he laughed and said that's just how the neighborhood is. I'm sure you'll love it and feel very comfortable lol.


All this sounds great! Not that I'm worried about feeling comfortable or anything, I figured DC (like any city) has a strong gay population. It will be nice to be in a big city, though (besides summers in Atlanta, I've been stuck in VERY RURAL Tennessee for the past four years. Anyone know anything about living in Dupont Circle? I know you said it's close, but close enough to live in? What would the price be like?

User avatar
labellavita
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:27 am

Re: GW 2012

Postby labellavita » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 pm

blm09 wrote:
labellavita wrote:
marburger06 wrote:
blm09 wrote:Any other LGBT TLSers considering GW? It recently shot to the top of my list, so I'll most likely end up in DC next year. I hear it's not a bad city to be gay in.. haha
]

DC, and ESPECIALLY GW, has a ridiculously strong LGBT community. I sometimes feel like straight men are in the minority, haha. You'll love it :)


I spent some time in DC last summer and hung out in Dupont Circle a bit. My first night hanging out there, after a few hours of walking/hanging around, I turned to my friend and was like "Does this area...I don't know...seem a little...gay..to you?" And he laughed and said that's just how the neighborhood is. I'm sure you'll love it and feel very comfortable lol.


All this sounds great! Not that I'm worried about feeling comfortable or anything, I figured DC (like any city) has a strong gay population. It will be nice to be in a big city, though (besides summers in Atlanta, I've been stuck in VERY RURAL Tennessee for the past four years. Anyone know anything about living in Dupont Circle? I know you said it's close, but close enough to live in? What would the price be like?


I'm not super familiar with DC, but I'm pretty sure that Dupont circle is $$$
Last edited by labellavita on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hoffb86
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

Re: GW 2012

Postby hoffb86 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 pm

blm09 wrote:
labellavita wrote:
marburger06 wrote:
blm09 wrote:Any other LGBT TLSers considering GW? It recently shot to the top of my list, so I'll most likely end up in DC next year. I hear it's not a bad city to be gay in.. haha
]

DC, and ESPECIALLY GW, has a ridiculously strong LGBT community. I sometimes feel like straight men are in the minority, haha. You'll love it :)


I spent some time in DC last summer and hung out in Dupont Circle a bit. My first night hanging out there, after a few hours of walking/hanging around, I turned to my friend and was like "Does this area...I don't know...seem a little...gay..to you?" And he laughed and said that's just how the neighborhood is. I'm sure you'll love it and feel very comfortable lol.


All this sounds great! Not that I'm worried about feeling comfortable or anything, I figured DC (like any city) has a strong gay population. It will be nice to be in a big city, though (besides summers in Atlanta, I've been stuck in VERY RURAL Tennessee for the past four years. Anyone know anything about living in Dupont Circle? I know you said it's close, but close enough to live in? What would the price be like?


It's expensive... very expensive... you pay for location. But, it can be done, and it is pretty close to GW. PM me if you want some very specific info. But, for the basics, dupont (the circle itself) on the south side (closest to GW) lets just say is on 20th and O. And GW is on like 20th and G/H.... so, we are talking a matter of just a few blocks.

I can tell you that I live in a pretty old "junior 1-bedroom" on massachusetts ave and pay $1275 (including utilities, but not cable and internet).

PM me for very specific info. thanks.

marburger06
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby marburger06 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Like the previous poster said, living in Dupont itself is pretty pricey. But the Aston is actually in between GW and Dupont, as are some pretty popular apartment buildings (Savoy, Winston, etc.). Even if you live in Foggy Bottom though, it's really not far of a walk. Also, a lot of gay nightlife has moved beyond the Dupont area into neighborhoods like U St. and Columbia Heights. There's also a few gay bars in the Capitol Hill area. Really, DC in general is quite gay-friendly.

Supernana
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby Supernana » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:25 pm

I posted this under financial aid, but no one seemed to know the answer, so I thought I'd try here ... GW requires that all students (under 28) fill out the parent info portion of the FAFSA. Does anyone know if its possible to submit the FAFSA without their info to the rest of my schools, and then add the parent info and send it only to GW. Has anyone done this? Thanks!

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby omg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Supernana wrote:I posted this under financial aid, but no one seemed to know the answer, so I thought I'd try here ... GW requires that all students (under 28) fill out the parent info portion of the FAFSA. Does anyone know if its possible to submit the FAFSA without their info to the rest of my schools, and then add the parent info and send it only to GW. Has anyone done this? Thanks!


+1

User avatar
blm09
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby blm09 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Does anyone know about any parks, etc., near the campus to jog in? What about the GW rec center? Is it pretty nice?

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: GW 2012

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:40 am

There's a park called Rock Creek Park that isn't too far from GW. The Mall area (by the memorials) is also a great place to run in.

I went to GW for grad school and went to the gym once. It seemed pretty nice from what I can remember.

marburger06
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby marburger06 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 am

blm09 wrote:Does anyone know about any parks, etc., near the campus to jog in? What about the GW rec center? Is it pretty nice?


I usually run on the Capital Crescent trail. The entrance is about a half mile from the GW campus (in Georgetown), and it has some gorgeous views of the Potomac. Running by the monuments or the Tidal Basin is awesome too, but during tourist season it's too crowded for my tastes.

The gym at GW is really nice in my opinion. It's pretty crowded from about 7:30-9:30 AM and 4-6:30 PM, but even then there are enough machines that you don't have to wait too long to get one.

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: GW 2012

Postby Paichka » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm going to GW! Just (verbally) committed. I'm absolutely thrilled! I love DC.

milag64
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby milag64 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:27 pm

When i visited GW last week, I would get off at the Dupont Circle metro stop and walk to the law school. It was about 10-15 minutes walk...if I could afford to live there....(mentally blissing out)

milag64
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby milag64 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm

I sent my FAFSA out to just GW at first, then made a correction - ie deleted the parental info, and sent it to the other schools.

User avatar
DjaliBashit
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby DjaliBashit » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 am

Personal note from Dean Lawrence was cool, does everybody get that?
Yeah! I thought it was sweet!

Superspy
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby Superspy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Is there anyone who's lived in/even been in the Aston here? I'm considering the offer for housing, but from the website description it sounds a little too much like a dorm. Is it straight apartments or does it still have a dorm feel?

User avatar
blm09
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby blm09 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:53 am

I have a question for anyone who got the 30K/year plus 14k housing stipend. The housing stipend can go towards any housing, right? not just the aston?

SJT
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby SJT » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:12 am

I'm going to the preview day as well.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: GW 2012

Postby galahad85 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:27 am

blm09 wrote:I have a question for anyone who got the 30K/year plus 14k housing stipend. The housing stipend can go towards any housing, right? not just the aston?


My letter specifies that it must be the Aston.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests