GW 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
simmersiz

Re: GW 2012

Postby simmersiz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 pm

So apparently, the 5th FT section is happening. I'm in.

Anyone else that was doing PT now in FT?

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 pm

simmersiz wrote:So apparently, the 5th FT section is happening. I'm in.

I think Mr. Orange might be.... but don't hold me to that, he will prolly answer for himself.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:38 pm

hoffb86 wrote:

I think Mr. Orange might be.... but don't hold me to that, he will prolly answer for himself.

DEFINITELY in. I'm ecstatic.

simmersiz

Postby simmersiz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:03 pm

MrOrange wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:

Yeah, I really couldn't have scripted my situation to come out any better. I'm so glad I won't have to take class the following summer to catch up!

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:06 pm

simmersiz wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:

Yeah, I really couldn't have scripted my situation to come out any better. I'm so glad I won't have to take class the following summer to catch up!

Amen to that. Plus (I'm not familiar with your situation) I kinda felt like a "tweener" while planning for PT. I wasn't planning on working while in school, and I was somewhat concerned about being in classes primarily with people who were doing just that. I also didn't want to find myself outside the main social scene. I'd like to actually meet most other GW people :P

simmersiz

Postby simmersiz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

MrOrange wrote:Amen to that. Plus (I'm not familiar with your situation) I kinda felt like a "tweener" while planning for PT. I wasn't planning on working while in school, and I was somewhat concerned about being in classes primarily with people who were doing just that. I also didn't want to find myself outside the main social scene. I'd like to actually meet most other GW people :P

I echo that 100%. I wasn't going to get a job either and while I knew I wouldn't have a problem meeting people and all that, I think it will definitely be a lot better being lumped in with the rest of the FTers.

Really great news all around. I wonder what fraction of the previous PT pool coming in will remain PT after this.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:26 pm

simmersiz wrote:
MrOrange wrote:Amen to that. Plus (I'm not familiar with your situation) I kinda felt like a "tweener" while planning for PT. I wasn't planning on working while in school, and I was somewhat concerned about being in classes primarily with people who were doing just that. I also didn't want to find myself outside the main social scene. I'd like to actually meet most other GW people :P

I echo that 100%. I wasn't going to get a job either and while I knew I wouldn't have a problem meeting people and all that, I think it will definitely be a lot better being lumped in with the rest of the FTers.

Really great news all around. I wonder what fraction of the previous PT pool coming in will remain PT after this.

Good question...

I was also wondering about the class scheduling options (M-F or M-Th). Have you heard anything about how many FT people are going to commit to each schedule? Does it even make a difference?

I'm really curious to see how the sections break down, given that the M-Th group will be taking some classes with PTers.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm leaning full-time now. I haven't completely decided, but I, like you two, don't have a real job set up. I do wonder, though, if this means an increase in overall class size of ~100, or if they'll add total students but make each section smaller. What do you guys think? Does this mean a class of 2012 that's around 600?

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:31 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:I'm leaning full-time now. I haven't completely decided, but I, like you two, don't have a real job set up. I do wonder, though, if this means an increase in overall class size of ~100, or if they'll add total students but make each section smaller. What do you guys think? Does this mean a class of 2012 that's around 600?

Nah...I'm sure the overall class size will go up slightly, but it'll mostly likely be that each section will be somewhat smaller than normal.

simmersiz

Postby simmersiz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 pm

MrOrange wrote:Good question...

I was also wondering about the class scheduling options (M-F or M-Th). Have you heard anything about how many FT people are going to commit to each schedule? Does it even make a difference?

I'm really curious to see how the sections break down, given that the M-Th group will be taking some classes with PTers.

I haven't heard anything about how many are going to commit to each schedule, but I do know that I am doing M-F. The 8:45 PM seemed a bit late for me; I could do it, but I'd much prefer to be done earlier everyday even with having to do class on Friday.

simmersiz

Postby simmersiz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:I'm leaning full-time now. I haven't completely decided, but I, like you two, don't have a real job set up. I do wonder, though, if this means an increase in overall class size of ~100, or if they'll add total students but make each section smaller. What do you guys think? Does this mean a class of 2012 that's around 600?

I'm thinking that they are going to downsize their PT program some now that the #s are being included in the rankings. I think this year will be a transitory year as they start that shift. I could be totally wrong, but I think that's whats up. The overall # this year shouldn't go up much at all (FT + PT), but the ratio of PT will be much smaller. For future classes, I think they might reduce the class size entirely a bit (reduce PT but not increase FT much from previous years).

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:08 am

You guys think this will decrease the PT program slightly? Are you kidding? It's going to be a mass exodus... I bet more than half the PT class is just trying to transfer into FT as soon as possible.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:17 am

nitsudrx wrote:You guys think this will decrease the PT program slightly? Are you kidding? It's going to be a mass exodus... I bet more than half the PT class is just trying to transfer into FT as soon as possible.

Random FYI: apparently former PT students are getting first crack at the M-Th schedule....there's no saying right now how large that section (it will be its own, single section) will end up being, but it's supposed to carry ~75 students, give or take about 10.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:47 pm

MrOrange wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:You guys think this will decrease the PT program slightly? Are you kidding? It's going to be a mass exodus... I bet more than half the PT class is just trying to transfer into FT as soon as possible.

Random FYI: apparently former PT students are getting first crack at the M-Th schedule....there's no saying right now how large that section (it will be its own, single section) will end up being, but it's supposed to carry ~75 students, give or take about 10.

That M-Th schedule seems like a pseudo part-time. Props to GW for trying to continue catering to working students' needs as they adjust their system due to USNWR. Good work

nallku

Postby nallku » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Has anyone heard from financial aid about loans? I was not able to make ASD and was wondering where I could find out information about registration and loans. Thanks.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:44 pm

nallku wrote:Has anyone heard from financial aid about loans? I was not able to make ASD and was wondering where I could find out information about registration and loans. Thanks.

Assuming you've filed your FAFSA/submitted your deposits, etc...?

I'd call the person who corresponds to your last name (that info should have been included in your acceptance packet) and verify that GW has everything from you that it needs.

nallku

Postby nallku » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Yes I have and I made sure they had everything. Do they send it or is it on the website?

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:51 pm

nallku wrote:Yes I have and I made sure they had everything. Do they send it or is it on the website?

Did Dean Richard send you an award notification email? Have you registered/logged into GWeb?

If you have...all the information should be available through GWeb, and if you haven't....follow-up call tomorrow. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have sent you the email yet, but there's no way to get it sorted out other than contacting them directly.

nallku

Postby nallku » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Has anybody that opted to switch into the 5th full-time section heard anything confirming their decision? I also am wondering if I should wait to accept financial aid awards since they will be readjusted for full-time tuition. Any thoughts?

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:43 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:Has anybody that opted to switch into the 5th full-time section heard anything confirming their decision? I also am wondering if I should wait to accept financial aid awards since they will be readjusted for full-time tuition. Any thoughts?

I got the new financial aid info pretty quickly after I responded that I wanted to make the switch. I opted for the 5-day schedule. I don't know if that had anything to do with GW's response-speed.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:51 pm

MrOrange wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:Has anybody that opted to switch into the 5th full-time section heard anything confirming their decision? I also am wondering if I should wait to accept financial aid awards since they will be readjusted for full-time tuition. Any thoughts?

I got the new financial aid info pretty quickly after I responded that I wanted to make the switch. I opted for the 5-day schedule. I don't know if that had anything to do with GW's response-speed.

Thanks MrOrange. I opted for the 4-day schedule, perhaps this is why? I didn't respond until June 8th, so it really hasn't been that long yet. That being said, 5 days wouldn't bother me much either.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:55 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:

Thanks MrOrange. I opted for the 4-day schedule, perhaps this is why? I didn't respond until June 8th, so it really hasn't been that long yet. That being said, 5 days wouldn't bother me much either.

It's all speculation, but it'd make sense. Didn't they give everyone until the 15th to make their decisions? I'd think that the 4 day schedule would be the last one to shake itself out, which could explain your delay.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:06 pm

MrOrange wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:

It's all speculation, but it'd make sense. Didn't they give everyone until the 15th to make their decisions? I'd think that the 4 day schedule would be the last one to shake itself out, which could explain your delay.

Definitely speculation, though it would make sense. Yes the 15th was the day they listed, so I'll just need to be patient.

simmersiz

Postby simmersiz » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I also received confirmation quickly and the new financial aid info shortly after.

I am registered for the 5 day.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”