GW 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
sapereaude2012

New

Re: GW 2012

Post by sapereaude2012 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:15 pm

simmersiz wrote:I also received confirmation quickly and the new financial aid info shortly after.

I am registered for the 5 day.
Thanks guys. I received confirmation from Dean Richard today. M-Thursday it is.

blm09

New

Post by blm09 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:19 am

Anyone know when we're going to start getting emails and stuff about orientation, classes, etc? Also, anyone know where they're living yet? What kind of preparation is everyone doing to get ready?

...I'm bored at work and want this board to get more active so I have something to do... hahaha

joebucket

New

Post by joebucket » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:53 am

blm09 wrote:Anyone know when we're going to start getting emails and stuff about orientation, classes, etc? Also, anyone know where they're living yet? What kind of preparation is everyone doing to get ready?

...I'm bored at work and want this board to get more active so I have something to do... hahaha
Nah, I haven't heard anything. That's comforting. My SO and I are going down to the DC area from July 9th-12th to try to find a place in Arlington (Aug 1 move). As for prep, I'm going to read "Getting to Maybe," but other than that, I'm not doing much else. I'm trying to read as many books as I can before LS starts and I won't have the time.

On another note, anyone currently living in NYC want to get a drink sometime? It might be nice to know a few people going into orientation. You know, theoretical orientation.

colonial12

New

Post by colonial12 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:06 pm

joebucket wrote:Nah, I haven't heard anything. That's comforting. My SO and I are going down to the DC area from July 9th-12th to try to find a place in Arlington (Aug 1 move).
Don't move to Arlington - it's a little sad. There is a 2 mile strip of the suburban conception of city, and the rest is almost Levittown. Foggy Bottom metro isn't much closer than Farragut West or North (4 blocks vs 5 & 6, respectively).

You really should look at the Eastern Market area, the West End, Dupont, Woodley and Adams-Morgan. Your commute to class will be almost the same (and frankly, what you lose on the extra walk you'll make up in the shorter metro ride; most of the nice bit of Arlington can only have every other train through the Rosslyn tunnel; even during rush hour, you may spend 6-7 minutes waiting for a train, as opposed to a max of 2 for rush hour on the Red Line).

These areas have a lot more life, and are populated by more than undergrads and the employees of AB and CEB. Stay in the City.

(U St and Columbia Heights are fun, but are a touch further from GW; some people don't mind changing trains to live in the nightlife area...)

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:27 pm

colonial12 wrote:
joebucket wrote:Nah, I haven't heard anything. That's comforting. My SO and I are going down to the DC area from July 9th-12th to try to find a place in Arlington (Aug 1 move).
Don't move to Arlington - it's a little sad. There is a 2 mile strip of the suburban conception of city, and the rest is almost Levittown. Foggy Bottom metro isn't much closer than Farragut West or North (4 blocks vs 5 & 6, respectively).

You really should look at the Eastern Market area, the West End, Dupont, Woodley and Adams-Morgan. Your commute to class will be almost the same (and frankly, what you lose on the extra walk you'll make up in the shorter metro ride; most of the nice bit of Arlington can only have every other train through the Rosslyn tunnel; even during rush hour, you may spend 6-7 minutes waiting for a train, as opposed to a max of 2 for rush hour on the Red Line).

These areas have a lot more life, and are populated by more than undergrads and the employees of AB and CEB. Stay in the City.

(U St and Columbia Heights are fun, but are a touch further from GW; some people don't mind changing trains to live in the nightlife area...)
I disagree. I wouldn't want to do a line transfer. Rather, do the line transfer going to the night life, rather than have easy access to nightlife and have to travel further to GW. This is law school, not go out to Adams Morgan and get smashed every night for 3 years.

Arlington is fine, and close.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

colonial12

New

Post by colonial12 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:15 pm

nitsudrx wrote:I disagree. I wouldn't want to do a line transfer. Rather, do the line transfer going to the night life, rather than have easy access to nightlife and have to travel further to GW. This is law school, not go out to Adams Morgan and get smashed every night for 3 years.

The transfer issue presents itself wrt neighborhoods serviced by the green line. The Red Line stops at Farragut North, and so no transfer is necessary. I wasn't suggesting that "joebucket" live along the green line, just acknowledging that some do choose to (including an earlier post on this thread, IIRC).

West End/Dupont/A-M/Woodley are all on the Red Line, all are 1-2 stops away from GW. Eastern Market is farther (8 stops) along the Orange Line, but has other compensations (some people really like Capitol Hill; it's not to my taste).

I stand by the statement that Arlington and Alexandria (and Virginia generally) aren't really reasonable places to live.

Supernana

New

Post by Supernana » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:09 pm

For anyone in section 15, you can figure out our class schedule by going to this link:
--LinkRemoved--

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Awesome thanks Supernana. Where is our contracts class?

joebucket

New

Post by joebucket » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:34 am

colonial12 wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:I disagree. I wouldn't want to do a line transfer. Rather, do the line transfer going to the night life, rather than have easy access to nightlife and have to travel further to GW. This is law school, not go out to Adams Morgan and get smashed every night for 3 years.

The transfer issue presents itself wrt neighborhoods serviced by the green line. The Red Line stops at Farragut North, and so no transfer is necessary. I wasn't suggesting that "joebucket" live along the green line, just acknowledging that some do choose to (including an earlier post on this thread, IIRC).

West End/Dupont/A-M/Woodley are all on the Red Line, all are 1-2 stops away from GW. Eastern Market is farther (8 stops) along the Orange Line, but has other compensations (some people really like Capitol Hill; it's not to my taste).

I stand by the statement that Arlington and Alexandria (and Virginia generally) aren't really reasonable places to live.
Right. Well, budget was a consideration and I wanted to find a set up that presented a distinction between home and school. I've been living in Brooklyn and doing a 45 minute commute to work for the past 4 years (if you know people from New York, ask them how they'd feel about a 45 minute commute on the R or F lines). The commute from Arlington is a definite net gain. Plus, I have friends from Ugrad living there, and the place I found is only going to cost me 630/month including utilities. I've found that living near a big city is better than living in a big a city (I lived in Manhattan for my 4 years of ugrad). That said, the advice is certainly welcome, but I found a set up that works really well for my circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Supernana

New

Post by Supernana » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Sapereaude (and anyone else who is curious) ... Sorry for the delay in response ... between going away parties and getting all my cases ready to transition (oh and moving), I've had to cut down on my TLS habit. My understanding (and this is from Dean Richard's e-mail), is that we have two classes as section 15 and two classes with section 21 (the part-timers). I copied and pasted the contracts class info from the course list:
82065 202 21 Contracts I 3.0 MT 0600 - 0800pm Swaine
This class meets alternate Tuesdays - see schedule

Hope that helps!

colonial12

New

Post by colonial12 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:38 pm

joebucket wrote:Right. Well, budget was a consideration and I wanted to find a set up that presented a distinction between home and school. I've been living in Brooklyn and doing a 45 minute commute to work for the past 4 years (if you know people from New York, ask them how they'd feel about a 45 minute commute on the R or F lines). The commute from Arlington is a definite net gain. Plus, I have friends from Ugrad living there, and the place I found is only going to cost me 630/month including utilities. I've found that living near a big city is better than living in a big a city (I lived in Manhattan for my 4 years of ugrad). That said, the advice is certainly welcome, but I found a set up that works really well for my circumstances.
I understand the budget bit; certainly DC is more expensive than off-the-corridor Arlington (although, core Ballston/Courthouse/Rosslyn prices really are City-comparable). I was just trying to say, the commute from Dupont during rush hour would be: your walk to dupont metro + 2-4 minutes + 6 block walk vs from (say) clarendon, walk to metro + 10-15 minutes + 4 block walk. The commute along the Red Line is faster, if you don't mind the walk, because the metro rides are so much shorter (look at a geographically accurate metro map), and because the Rosslyn tunnel under the Potomac causes delays during rush hour.

Some people enjoy the bustle of cities, some people prefer the quieter life of the suburbs (even the inner orange line is much quieter than dupont/a-m/u street). I was just trying to ensure you were making a decision based on your preferences, not misunderstandings and whatnot.

FWIW, in the Arlington corridor, Clarendon would be my pick. Ballston is far away (and banal), Rosslyn is dead (and pricey). There's a Whole Foods, a Barnes & Noble, and an Apple Store within a few blocks of each other there.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:20 pm

Who here is also in the GW facebook group?

Also...I think it's almost time to get GW people together. I'll be moving into DC the first week in August.

FinLaw

New

Post by FinLaw » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:30 pm

I'm in the Facebook group. I'll be moving up around the 15th, I'm down to get together for some drinks with whoever. Just found a place in the Letterman House a couple blocks from school. Anyone else living there???

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:32 pm

I should also add.....wtf is wrong with those of you in the facebook group with shirtless profile pictures, etc.? (no, ihateattorneys didn't make a cameo...and this applies to girls and guys. Glamor shots? Really?)

Christ...future classmates, looking forward to meetin' ya...

EDIT: FinLaw...I turned down a place in the Letterman House back in May. Biggest mistake I made during my apartment search. I'll be in the York...sans-kitchen (at least it's cheap).

And the 15th is probably a good time to get out-of-towners together. Right before orientation and whatnot.

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm

I look forward to meeting you guys!

I'm going to be living far afield -- down in Woodbridge, near my folks. (Free babysitting) My husband is staying in Savannah to finish out his command, so it'll just be me and the munchkin. I hope I'm not the grandma of the FT-ers...I DO like to party, and I know where most of the good bars are, after growing up in NoVA.

My facebook picture is my kid. I suppose I could change that to actually show me. Hrm.

simmersiz

New

Post by simmersiz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:28 pm

MrOrange wrote:I should also add.....wtf is wrong with those of you in the facebook group with shirtless profile pictures, etc.? (no, ihateattorneys didn't make a cameo...and this applies to girls and guys. Glamor shots? Really?)
And the 15th is probably a good time to get out-of-towners together. Right before orientation and whatnot.
LOL.

And I'm down for the 15th, sounds good. I think I'm moving in on the 8th.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Alright...we should probably start working out details over the next week or two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FinLaw

New

Post by FinLaw » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:34 pm

Hopefull I'm settled in by then. Are you all currently in DC? Have any good bars in mind?

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:42 pm

FinLaw wrote:Hopefull I'm settled in by then. Are you all currently in DC? Have any good bars in mind?
I'll be new to DC, so suggestions are definitely necessary. Kinda sad since I've always lived pretty close to the city, but yeah...

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Depends on the area, I suppose. Adams Morgan has some great bars (Brass Monkey, Madam's Organ), but there's a few in Georgetown that are fun also (Rhino). There's a great Irish pub in Old Town called Murphy's, but that's probably too far afield.

Someone else may have better suggestions than that. I haven't been to Adams Morgan in a couple of years, and I'm not familiar with the stuff near Dupont Circle, etc.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Paichka wrote:Depends on the area, I suppose. Adams Morgan has some great bars (Brass Monkey, Madam's Organ), but there's a few in Georgetown that are fun also (Rhino). There's a great Irish pub in Old Town called Murphy's, but that's probably too far afield.

Someone else may have better suggestions than that. I haven't been to Adams Morgan in a couple of years, and I'm not familiar with the stuff near Dupont Circle, etc.
How should we go about getting things organized? Seems that the GW people on TLS are relatively quiet, and I'd like to get word out to non-TLSers, as well (but I don't have/don't have a desire to get facebook).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

simmersiz

New

Post by simmersiz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Paichka wrote:Depends on the area, I suppose. Adams Morgan has some great bars (Brass Monkey, Madam's Organ), but there's a few in Georgetown that are fun also (Rhino). There's a great Irish pub in Old Town called Murphy's, but that's probably too far afield.

I'm fine with whatever suggestions you guys have got. Any of those ideas are fine with me.

nallku

New

Post by nallku » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:11 pm

where did you guys find schedule information? I met with the dean on Friday ad she said that we get it at orientation.
Last edited by nallku on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:12 pm

nallku wrote:where did you guys find schedule information. I met with the dean on Friday ad she said that we get it at orientation.
We're not going to know our sections (unless you're on the M-Th schedule) until orientation, but the class schedules have been posted (as in...what classes are on which days and at what times).

Help plan this meet-up.

simmersiz

New

Post by simmersiz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:20 pm

MrOrange wrote:
Help plan this meet-up.
Alright, so people who would be interested / down for an August 15th meet up:

MrOrange
Paichka
simmersiz
FinLaw